Zenfone for Dummies

racyrick

I am 61 years old and never owned a smartphone and I am ready to take the plunge. (My 6 1/2 year old dumb phone is ready to die)

After reading several threads, I have decided on the Zenfone 5 for price and features.

I will basically only be using it for sms messaging, phone and surfing the web.

I will also let my wife use for LINE and my 10 year old son use for some games.

Am I making the right choice?

Is it easy for me to use for the above?

Can I easily switch from English to Thai to use LINE only?

Can I easily switch from using wi fi when available to my phone carrier network when not available?

I am really Fred Flintstone when it comes to electronics, so sorry for the simple and basic questions to you.

Any other advice, help or comments would be appreciated!

Thanks

I have a Zenphone they are great phones, another to consider is the lenovo A859, they are normally 5990bt but are on sale for 3990bt excellent value and great phone too.

• Like 1

Zenphone is a great phone.

I think LINE language will be in whatever language you set - Switch phone language to Thai and LINE will be in Thai...

Yes, the phone will auto switch to data/cellular when wifi is not available.

It runs all games smoothly.

Enjoy your first smartphone. :)

• Like 1

The ASUS ZENFONE 5 is a great phone for all your requirements you have listed but make sure to buy the 2gb ram x 16gb rom version.

There is a lesser zenfone 5 with only 1gb ram x 8gb rom and that won't be very suitable for running gaming apps for your child.

Good luck.

Thank you for your replies.

Still a bit nervous, so hope it is as easy as you say.

If there are any more comments or suggestions, please let me know.

There are many tutorials and how to does on YouTube. Just spend an hour or so watching those once you have the phone!

Like other posters, I really like my Zenphone-5. I've had mine for 4 or 5 months now and can find no significant faults. I was initially concerned about battery life but once I became a little more careful about battery conservation, it became a non-issue.

As another poster wrote; make sure you get the 2GB RAM/16GB ROM version...having the extra RAM makes downloading pages off the net really smooth and fast.

16GB ROM means you have a lot of room for apps and files.

For B2000 more, there is a 4G LTE version of the Zenphone-5. 4G is pretty much restricted to a few urban areas at this time but will probably become much more available in the next 2 years. For the usage you describe, you probably don't need it. BTW, the Zenphone 5 LTE only accepts one SIM if that is an issue for you.

Learn to use the easy pull down menu. There is a very good "Start-up" Tutorial built in as well as many on YouTube.

If you buy a flip case, make sure to get one with clear plastic on the window. My first case had an open window and it tended to make "pocket calls" to the last previously dialed number. Changing cases solved the problem.

Edited by dddave

Good phone - but really any Android phone with a decent specification (quad core processor, 2GB RAM (ideally) of phone memory and an SD card to expand the storage) will be good enough for your needs. Look at Asus, Lenovo, Oppo and some of the Sony and Samsung models to find the one you like the look of. Screen size is the biggest difference between the different models and a bigger screen helps to read small text. Also look for an "IPS" screen as this is easier to read.

You can set up the keyboard to switch from English to Thai with a simple touch of the key next to the space bar (or swipe the spacebar on the keyboard on some versions of Android (the phone's operating system).

You can make the operation simpler by removing all the icons for the applications that you do not need from the 'home screen'. (put your finger on an unused icon and a small bin appears at the base of the screen - dump the icon in the "bin".. If you only have the icons for making a call, Directory, SMS and Line then it makes the phone simpler to use. You may also want to keep the camera icon and the 'Album" as these will get used too.

Ask any person under 14 years old to set up the phone for you - they are born with an inbuilt knowledge of Android.

After a bit of practice you'll wonder how you ever lived without a smart phone.