Pattaya to Petchabun (on a small motorbike)

roger101

That's a one day ride even only going 60 km/h. Leave at 0800 and you'll be arriving in Phetchabun at 1800 easily.

If you're looking for a trip that will take you 5 days, I can plan that for you with some nice stops along the way. Say 240 kms each day?

Sorry, I thought this was a BKK to Phetchabun. It still only ends up being a 2 day trip going slowly.

Edited by dave_boo
  • Like 1

Dave is our resident expert on route planning and I'm sure he'll come up with something interesting. As for me, I would do the following:

- avoid going through Bkk at all costs

- remember that you can't go on Hwy 7 due to the tolls

- consider going up route 331 / 349 (past Phanat Nikhom) and continuing onto Nakhon Nayok / Khao Yai are for your first overnight

- stick to secondary (3 digit and 4 digit roads) and try to avoid the main highways - it's dangerous (in my opinion) for small bikes as you have to keep very very left

when in Petchabun, consider going up to Phu Tarb Boek (if you have not been before). Some amazing views and sceneries (from Hwy 12, turn right onto 2372 and then left onto 2331 - google maps is your friend)

• Like 1

Dave is our resident expert on route planning and I'm sure he'll come up with something interesting. As for me, I would do the following:

- consider going up route 331 / 349 (past Phanat Nikhom) and continuing onto Nakhon Nayok / Khao Yai are for your first overnight

- stick to secondary (3 digit and 4 digit roads) and try to avoid the main highways - it's dangerous (in my opinion) for small bikes as you have to keep very very left

when in Petchabun, consider going up to Phu Tarb Boek (if you have not been before). Some amazing views and sceneries (from Hwy 12, turn right onto 2372 and then left onto 2331 - google maps is your friend)

I was thinking of doing 70 to 100 K per day. In no hurry, and in the answer to another post two small rucksacks are plenty.

I was thinking of doing 70 to 100 K per day. In no hurry, and in the answer to another post two small rucksacks are plenty.

Oh, don't worry about taninthai. He's used to seeing me with top box, two panniers and a tankbag, even for a 6 day ride, haha.

• Like 1

Let it be stated for the record that I 100% do not agree with only doing 100 km per day. Even putting along at 50 km/h, that's only 2 hours of riding! Getting late starts of 1000 and being at destination at NLT 1700 so you're still riding in the light means there's a lot of time to do....? Going up to Phetchabun doesn't really avail itself to tourist traps. Add in the fact that you're going to spend ~420 baht on fuel, but at least 2,000 on lodging taking so long seems odd to me.

But I am to please; so see the google maps laid out below. Each waypoint is a 'resort' style bungalow place. Most are between 500-600 baht. For recommended things to do, visit the two temples at Chachengsao. See the monkeys in Lop Buri. The other places have F.A. to do.

https://maps.google.co.th/maps?saddr=Route+3&daddr=13.3530913,101.2713703+to:13.646034,+101.10043+to:14.150847,+100.709714+to:14.79621,+100.65985+to:15.45324,+101.06704+to:Phetchabun+Thailand+Post+Office&hl=en&ll=14.90763,101.101685&spn=4.388891,6.762085&sll=15.47221,101.03508&sspn=0.273638,0.42263&geocode=FV6pxQAdHbkDBg%3BFYPAywAdSkcJBinzwyHvlisdMTEctv4OBUk5_w%3BFdI40AAdjqsGBg%3BFb_s1wAdUrUABg%3BFbLF4QAdivL_BQ%3BFTjM6wAdICkGBg%3BFYeA-gAd_3UHBiHTKdNFzC51UykPiA26USUgMTHTKdNFzC51Uw&dirflg=ht&mra=ls&via=1&t=m&z=8

• Like 1

I wouldn't fancy it on a click to be honest,pcx would be a lot better ,where do you plan on putting your luggage and all that.

Not even sure this is a genuine post.

I saw a guy and his gf/wife on a Fino with a large bag in Mae Hong Son from Krabi. Not sure how comfortable that would be but it is done. Taking several days is a preferable option.

Better to stick with 3 digit roads.4 digit can get pretty rough. Also 12 from Chaiyaphum to Petchabun is newly repaved and very wide. Not all the markings are applied yet but staying to the left you will have lots of room.

Personally I would take 331, 304 to Wang Nam Khaew. There is a rather big hill on the way but it is not long. There are lots of resorts in the area and a lot of orchids for sale. I doubt you would be buying any but they are nice to look at. Then take a road to the left. There seems to be no number but it is marked with a tall sign with many tourist areas. If you miss it there will be a PTT station on your right about 1 km away. Uturn and you will see it on your right. It is a very scenic ride to Khao Yai. I would plan atleast a night in Wang Nam Khaew if you can make it that far. If not stay somewhere around KabinBuri. Tou should be able to make Khao Yai the second day. Then head to Pak Chong.

Take 2247 north to 205 then west on 205 to 21, north to Phitsanulok.

Cuts out most cities, Except the hill on 304 eliminates most large traffic (ie the crazy mf's in the trucks). 331has lots of pot holes and big trucks but it is not easy to avoid that. Scenery abounds although it is better in the rainy season.

• Like 1

Better to stick with 3 digit roads.4 digit can get pretty rough. Also 12 from Chaiyaphum to Petchabun is newly repaved and very wide. Not all the markings are applied yet but staying to the left you will have lots of room.

Personally I would take 331, 304 to Wang Nam Khaew. There is a rather big hill on the way but it is not long. There are lots of resorts in the area and a lot of orchids for sale. I doubt you would be buying any but they are nice to look at. Then take a road to the left. There seems to be no number but it is marked with a tall sign with many tourist areas. If you miss it there will be a PTT station on your right about 1 km away. Uturn and you will see it on your right. It is a very scenic ride to Khao Yai. I would plan atleast a night in Wang Nam Khaew if you can make it that far. If not stay somewhere around KabinBuri. Tou should be able to make Khao Yai the second day. Then head to Pak Chong.

Cuts out most cities, Except the hill on 304 eliminates most large traffic (ie the crazy mf's in the trucks). 331has lots of pot holes and big trucks but it is not easy to avoid that. Scenery abounds although it is better in the rainy season.

During a recent 2,500 km ride from Bkk to Arayanprathet / Ubon / Sirindhorn / Mukdahan / Bueng Kan / Nong Khai / Lom Sak / Phitsanulok / Petchabun / Bkk, close to if not more than 50% of our route were on 4 digit routes. You are right, there tends to be roadworks and potholes in certain parts but otherwise (and on sections that were intact or newly resurfaced) they were glorious. The most memorable parts of our ride were on these 4 digit routes, such as the 2112 from Sirindhorn to Mukdahan, the 2399 to Phu Ruea National Park etc.

A lot depends on the kind of riding that Roger would like to do. Just easy cruising (straight-ish roads) or those with curves and bends and twisties.

• Like 1

Great ideas; go for it.

Having a Thai GF (assuming) willing to do this is rare.

But going all the way down that route, having one who hardly let's you ride by yourself (because she thinks you won't come back), is a PITA sometimes.

Great ideas; go for it.

But going all the way down that route, having one who hardly let's you ride by yourself (because she thinks you won't come back), is a PITA sometimes.

That is a bit of a sad thing to say Dave, my missus goes with me to lots of places and she knows I will always come back, I really ain't that stupid.

I too think this a great idea, thinking about something similar myself now, so thanks.

I think more and more it is not what you ride, that is after all just a pose it is that you do ride, the more adventurous the trip the better.

I would like to see a lot more of these trips on this forum and less of the new bikes that ALL look like a CBR250.

• Like 1

Great ideas; go for it.

That is a bit of a sad thing to say Dave, my missus goes with me to lots of places and she knows I will always come back, I really ain't that stupid.

I too think this a great idea, thinking about something similar myself now, so thanks.

I think more and more it is not what you ride, that is after all just a pose it is that you do ride, the more adventurous the trip the better.

I would like to see a lot more of these trips on this forum and less of the new bikes that ALL look like a CBR250.

Said tongue in cheek Allan. Kind of like how she says keeps increasing the life insurance level on me because she wants to be RICH when I finally kick the bucket.

Totally agree with you about actually being out and riding!

I was just there over Christmas with family but with the car. Saw many bikers and groups on all types of displacements/gears. Spoke to a local Ducati rider who lives there and he said he has never seen so many bikers in the area as there were this year.

If you want to do some sightseeing around the parks there are some excellent spots but to be honest areas like Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park I think you will find frustrating on small bike with a pillion. Very steep at places, very sharp turns at crazy angles. Also note the approaching roads to Khao Kho from both sides are under heavy construction for long stretches, some really really rough sections. Coming from the Phitsanulok road is probably the better of the two sides because more of it is finished (and excellent quality). Having said all that I'm sure the groups I saw there had good fun, just giving you heads up on what to expect.

During a recent 2,500 km ride from Bkk to Arayanprathet / Ubon / Sirindhorn / Mukdahan / Bueng Kan / Nong Khai / Lom Sak / Phitsanulok / Petchabun / Bkk, close to if not more than 50% of our route were on 4 digit routes. You are right, there tends to be roadworks and potholes in certain parts but otherwise (and on sections that were intact or newly resurfaced) they were glorious. The most memorable parts of our ride were on these 4 digit routes, such as the 2112 from Sirindhorn to Mukdahan, the 2399 to Phu Ruea National Park etc.

A lot depends on the kind of riding that Roger would like to do. Just easy cruising (straight-ish roads) or those with curves and bends and twisties.

The reason I brought up the 4 digit roads is they seem to be the last to get funds for repair. For sure some of them are very good.

On a Honda Click?

On a Honda Click?

mmm, yes should have been more specific. I mean't needing a huge capacity bike to go anywhere outside the city.

That said, there are a few around who think a Click is pretty flash... my wife's daughter for one, when we arrive on a Wave.

There seems to be a lot of people heading off somewhere lately, or is it just the time of year?

Edited by AllanB