Thailand ranked as one of world’s best places to retire in 2015

Lite Beer

The survey seems to say: Thailand received full score on entertainment and amenity, followed by cost of living and healthcare.

The news report says: The key factors that put Thailand on this position is are the low healthcare cost which is high in quality, the nation's friendly attitude of locals toward retired expats, and the low cost of living.

If entertainment and amenity received full score, why is this not stated as a key factor?

"Oh, you mean that kind of entertainment and amenity," said someone. "We had better not mention it then or we might get in trouble."

When I first got here and for the subsequent two or so years, I felt that Thailand was arguably the best country to retire to that I had come across.

Now that my rose tinted glasses are off, I'm not so sure. There are many advantages, that's for sure. But as we age, some of these perks are no longer a priority item. I'm starting to consider some other countries such as the Philippines, Laos, Cambodia and even as far afield as Columbia!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

International Living is mostly geared towards the North American market so naturally Latin American destinations will dominate. I've been following these trends for a long time. Colombia is the riser. But yes, for places like Colombia and Ecuador, you need Spanish or a translator on call.

I do have a translator on call but I reckon Spanish is a lot easier to learn than Thai in any case

And you can probably read faster in Spanish after a short while- try reading Thai. English in Latin America is much more readily available than English in Thailand.

• Like 1

Most of those surveys are skewed by the fact that the people responding to them know very little about any other destinations so can't accurately compare them. Until you've actually "retired" in 2 or more countries and have a good working knowledge of the pros and cons of each, how can you determine which is better ? Same for those airline surveys. People have their preferred airlines (or their travel agents do) and will often stick with them for the extra benefits (i.e. accumulating air miles). When airline surveys come out, the majority of people responding to them know very little about any other carriers so they can't really honestly compare them.

Before I originally decided to "retire" in Thailand I had made a list of criteria I thought was important in helping me decide where the best place to retire would be. Belize ? Peru ? Philippines ? Bolivia ? Thailand ? Cambodia ? I had a dozen or so things on my list and maybe a dozen potential destinations. I then spent time going to the various Embassies and Consulates and gleaning what I could from them and the (very young) Internet at the time to try and get answers. The difference between what I did and the responses to these magazine surveys is that I actually did research and compared the different factors for the countries on my list. Some places looked to be cheaper to live in than others, but they often had poorer standards of education and health care. Other places were politically unstable and/or overly corrupt. Some had better infrastructure (roads/airports/electrical/communications). Some looked decent but were fairly expensive (and that was back in the mid-90s when I did my list).

If I redid my list today (19 years after the first one) would the results be the same ? Probably not, a lot has changed since them. Would I still have Thailand rated as the #1 overall ? Not sure. If I did for some reason have to pack up and relocated to a different country would I be better off in a different SEA country (for example Myanmar/Laos/Cambodia) or in a Pan-American one (like Panama, Ecuador, Nicaragua) ? I'm pretty sure those Euro destinations (Spain, Portugal, Malta) are probably a lot more expensive (but probably have better infrastructure, healthcare, policing, etc) as a result. The big difference now is that you have a lot more information available to help make the decision easier (assuming people actually even bother, or if they just glance at some magazine article and make a snap decision on the spot).

I think these polls about the best places to live aren't really backed up by good data. I also think that moving to a country based on whether it looks statistically better to live is a big gamble. There are plenty of South American country's that are as cheap or cheaper to live in as Thailand, but cost isnt the only factor to consider. If cost was my sole basis for retiring in Asia then Thailand would come a distant last behind most other Asian countrys.

The announcement today of leveling diesel and petrol prices along with 5.5 Baht increase in tax will hit us pretty hard. I notice that they plan to do away with the grade 91 E and pushing E-20 and E-85. Hoping I read this correct.

According to T. Boone Pickens we are experiencing a glut of oil and it is a supply and demand issue caused by fracking. He estimates that that oil prices later on this year will be around $70 per barrel. We will get hit again with this tax increase. Fracking and tar sands start to get non competitive around $60 per barrel. Some fracking rigs have already shut down.