Refused to pay for Thai gf's flight to Europe and now she's mad. Am I being unreasonable?

fitfalang

I don't want a girlfriend that needs my financial support...

You are still young and delusional...a select few find a gf who does not expect them to pay...and pay...and pay...

Good Luck!

If she's got "friends" who are bragging about how they are milking their sugar daddies, what does it say about her? That alone would be a reason not to walk away, but to run away.

If you're really a youngster (and you better be if you're living off a student loan), even working girls in Pattaya will fight over you to give it to you for free. After pretending to enjoy that old, bald, fat dude, you'll be a breath of fresh air for her. Otherwise she'll have to pay a young Thai guy to get what she would get from you for free.

Those who tell you that you should pay her ticket just because she put out, that may be the case in their relationships. But if you have to pay someone because she had sex with you, that's what people call prostitite, not girlfriend.

I can relate to you catching yellow fever. BUT, Thailand is a BAD place to look for love. You may luck out, but the statistics are against you. Add to that Thai understanding of love/sex/money/relationships and you're fighting an uphill battle. If you're young, go to Thailand, have fun, but go elsewhere to try to find someone serious. If that fails, go to Thailand when you're 60+ and then you can pay half of her ticket to Europe.

And dont'pay attention to people telling you that you're cheap. There is nothing wrong in having self-respect, confidence and self-esteem and refusing to sink to the level of others when you clearly do not belong there. Just because there are plenty of fools throwing their life savings on bar girls, you don't have to do that. You worked hard for your money and nobody has the right to tell you how you spend it.

Ditch the bitch and find someone better.

cheers

• Like 2

If she's got "friends" who are bragging about how they are milking their sugar daddies, what does it say about her? That alone would be a reason not to walk away, but to run away.

If you're really a youngster (and you better be if you're living off a student loan), even working girls in Pattaya will fight over you to give it to you for free. After pretending to enjoy that old, bald, fat dude, you'll be a breath of fresh air for her. Otherwise she'll have to pay a young Thai guy to get what she would get from you for free.

Those who tell you that you should pay her ticket just because she put out, that may be the case in their relationships. But if you have to pay someone because she had sex with you, that's what people call prostitite, not girlfriend.

I can relate to you catching yellow fever. BUT, Thailand is a BAD place to look for love. You may luck out, but the statistics are against you. Add to that Thai understanding of love/sex/money/relationships and you're fighting an uphill battle. If you're young, go to Thailand, have fun, but go elsewhere to try to find someone serious. If that fails, go to Thailand when you're 60+ and then you can pay half of her ticket to Europe.

And dont'pay attention to people telling you that you're cheap. There is nothing wrong in having self-respect, confidence and self-esteem and refusing to sink to the level of others when you clearly do not belong there. Just because there are plenty of fools throwing their life savings on bar girls, you don't have to do that. You worked hard for your money and nobody has the right to tell you how you spend it.

cheer

He hasnt worked hard for anything, didnt he say he was on a student loan, and arent loans for books and day to day living expenses, not treating himself to a jaunt round europe, or did i missread the thread

• Like 1

cheer

He hasnt worked hard for anything, didnt he say he was on a student loan, and arent loans for books and day to day living expenses, not treating himself to a jaunt round europe, or did i missread the thread

Reason more to manage that money carefully and NOT waste it on fulfilling that girl's desire to see Europe. Besides, he WILL have to work hard to pay back the loan.

Worked hard or will work hard is irrelevant. The money does not fall from the sky and how people spend money is THEIR business.

In school....no job.....in Thailand.......should be focused on learning.........shouldn't have a girlfriend.........should understand Thai style..........

Finish school......get a job......go to Thailand........get a girlfriend.......understand Thai culture by not talking about trips unless you are willing to pay.......

CHOKDEE

• Like 1

I'm not from the UK but have been there quite a few times. Paying for pussy in the UK? lol! You would have to have something really wrong with your face to not find it for free in the UK. One of the easiest places in Europe thanks to their slutty drunk clubbing culture.

youre proposing that she take time off without pay and spend a months salary for a ticket as well? does she really want to see europe in winter that bad? or is it you that wants to see her?

could be he wants to horizontal tango in europe but is skint. so weaves a web to get her interested in paying her own way there. yeah, right.

I think the OP is looking for some sympathy , anyone know where it can be found?

Yes, between syphilis and and sycophant in the dictionary.

Your dictionary should start listing the words alphabetically; "sycophant" comes before "syphilis," which comes after "sympathy."

I like to flick through to the end of a book and read back, to avoid the suspense and uncertainty. For a plot, you'll struggle to get worse than the Oxford Concise
  • Like 1

You two make the same money. Her cost of living must be lower. Split the cost of the ticket (reimburse her when she shows up.... may pocket and dash). Good way to see if she is into you or into freebies. Also sounds like the oh so boring "My farang better than your farang" status game Thai women love to play and most of us hate.

Is there any right or wrong answer. Surely it's a gut choice.

Did I pay for my gfs flight ticket? Yes I did. Would I do it again? Yes I would. Does she not pay for anything? No, but all her earnings go into "our" (mine) and I pay out from that.

So even though yes I pay for everything we technical share and split the costs.

If you want to be cold about it treat it like a business and only invest what you are willing to lose.

I recommend you follow my friend's advice when choosing a girlfriend... Take her to food court on your date. If she complains about the food, drop her and find another with lower expectations. Trust me, it works.

Honestly, sounds like she doesn't want to go unless it's free. I have been in that situation, but my girl just said, "If I don't have the money by the time you need to buy tickets, it's OK for you to go without me." No temper tantrums or expectations. She was full of love and smiles.

Just a couple of thoughts, for what it's worth. Welcome too Thai (and much third world) culture. If you find a traditionally raised girl, the assumption is you bear the financial support. Absolutely true, there are more than a few puying who will look to take advantage and push the borders. However, if you have a girl willing to help with expenses, I would guess she is not a pure "gold digger" ( I am sure that since she knows you are a student, you are not wealthy. Guess I have a bit of an advantage being ancient. The male-female roles here are more like the 1950's in the U.S. Dad is the breadwinner and Mom is responsible for the domestic homefront. You cannot apply only your culture to your relationship.

OK, the other thought concerns the Visa. If you are in Europe and she is Thai she needs a Visa. Good luck with that. Unless she already holds a Visa ( opens up some other questions), her applying for a UK or Schengen Visa is going to be a challenge. No Visa and the cost of the airfare, visiting costs are moot. Want a possible out but possible saving the relationship? Ask her to get the Visa, and that you will assist any way you can on that. I have to agree if you suggested her visit, you should foot the airfare and sweet talk her into bringing her own spending money for the things she wants to bring home.

Welcome to the real world.

Take her for a slap up 99 baht breakfast and tell her she can keep the change of a hundred.

And don't forget to tell us where we can get the slap up 99 baht breakfast.

The hotel next to kiss food and drink on 2nd road does that if memory serves me right

Take her for a slap up 99 baht breakfast and tell her she can keep the change of a hundred.

I believe konying is The Breakfast King

• Like 2

You nasty little b.....rd. If she has been planning this for a long time and you knew that why didn't you stop it from the start.

I don't need a girlfriend that needs my financial support........I hope you come a crupper young man....What a piece of work you are.

• Like 2

I'll bite on this thread......life is interesting. when young, most of us have spent thousands on girlfriends and that is just part of life. sometimes i have regretted "wasting money" but it's an experience. you live and you learn. you can recover financially and odds are you won't marry this lady, but no worries. if you want to be financially responsible but have less life lessons and experiences, well then move on. if you feel like you are being exploited, get out. it's all about gut feelings with women, and i think you know what you are comfortable doing. wait until the time comes when they want kids that cost $1,000,000 USD, a house, and weekly toys.....

My fiance is Thai and let's just say from a wealthy family but until now it surprises him that I pay for a lot of things even his ice-cream;p I saved-up and gifted us a trip to Sweden for his birthday which shocked him like crazy(never under-estimate my piggy bank;p)

My fiance is rich...I work 3 jobs,he's been asking me to stop but I was brought up not to depend on a man for financial gain.

The point is if you think it's worth it or she's worth it then go buy her a ticket but if you are still not at that point then give it a bit of time.Only do it when you have no more doubts whatsoever.

A part of the fun is you have to find it on your plate under the layers of sedimentary grease the shady 'farang' in the kitchen has failed to scrub away.....

It's one thing for her to have deluded herself that you were going to pay, but for her to take it for granted and actually get angry about it... Bad news. No, you're not being unreasonable, she is. Dump her, or at least take your distance mentally because this is going nowhere.

Be careful of 99B breakfasts though as Doctors warn that they can leave you with wind that could power your underpants to an America's Cup win....

or.... you can use your 1b change to buy a fart remedy..

I'll bite on this thread......life is interesting. when young, most of us have spent thousands on girlfriends and that is just part of life. sometimes i have regretted "wasting money" but it's an experience. you live and you learn. you can recover financially and odds are you won't marry this lady, but no worries. if you want to be financially responsible but have less life lessons and experiences, well then move on. if you feel like you are being exploited, get out. it's all about gut feelings with women, and i think you know what you are comfortable doing. wait until the time comes when they want kids that cost $1,000,000 USD, a house, and weekly toys.....

HAve to agree I've spent far more and lost more with a "trustful" (I use the word losely) UK girl. In fact most have been less faithful and ripped me off.

This isn't a Thai thing it's a woman thing IMHO

OP-

Don't be so hard on yourself and for <deleted>'s sake man up and don't be such a sucker. She's your girlfriend not your wife or your family, she's got no claim to your cash. The facts are that you've got no leverage on her and frankly Thai women have a nasty habit of being theives and con artists. If you want to be a nice guy, you could offer to pay for 100% the meals and drinks in Europe (a significant expense). If she wont accept the terms, get a new girlfriend and count your blessing all the way to the bank.

Please dont be naive and think "she's different", please be careful and keep your money close.

gb33

Yeah thanks this is what I was thinking.

That's why I've been always careful with Thai girls and usually refuse to pay for for their shit - this is a good way to see what is their motivation to be with you in the first place. Works every time! The thing is I have only known this girl for a few months which is why im just being careful.

I don't want to invest any money on her before I can 100% trust her.

Just a couple of points you need to sharpen up on ... you don't "invest" money on a Thai girl, the only real return you might get is a good time in the sack .... not really what I would call and "investment".

"100% trust her" ..... cheesy.gif