Internet assistance please.

malt25

Mornin all.

Let me start by saying I'm pretty ignorant re IT. I use my laptop for sending mail & doing a bit of research on Google. So, if anyone can understand my question & cares to reply, please keep the terminology very simple. I'll attempt to describe the situation in language I understand. I do apologize for the length of this post.

I have 2 email accounts. Initially, being from Australia, I have a Telstra bigpond account & address. I believe it's Outlook 2007. I've used it for years & have numerous files that I access regularly. I like this system. The problem since arriving in LOS.... I receive mail but can't send mail.

If I find a page that gives me the opportunity to contact an email address, it automatically addresses the email on the bigpond, Outlook 2007 page. I then have to copy the address & transfer it to my second email address, hotmail, to send. No big problem if was is the only issue I have. In the past I found sending files & photos via bigpond was a breeze, not so with hotmail. I have no doubt there's no problem with hotmail..... the problem is me.

In an attempt to overcome my issue I've opened a hotmail account & email address. This works fine, I guess. My issue is I'm not all that happy with the Outlook system provided with the hotmail account. I guess as I'm of an older vintage, I'm comfortable with what I know & understand... the Outlook 2007 system on my bigpond account. I hope this is making some sense.

I've mentioned the situation to a few people & they say something to do with the server & POP system.... this means absolutely nothing to me.

I've had the laptop into a service center in Sakon Nakhon recently & tried to ask them, via my Thai partner, to see if the bigpond account could be set to send as well as receive. This proved fruitless. I guess they didn't understand.

In early March I'll be in Bangkok for a couple of days. If it's something that can't be fixed with advice from the forum..... very basically & easily, by me, I could take the laptop "somewhere" in BKK. If this is the case, where would I take it ? A computer shop or 3BB, my internet provider ?

So, there you have it. If you've got this far, thanks, at least for reading. I'll appreciate all & any advice.

Cheers..... Mal.

. I receive mail but can't send mail.

1) When you try to send, do you see/get a specific error message?

2) Go to this website:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check

click on "Check Blacklists".

Do you see red colored exclamation marks on one or more entries?

Can you write down which sites show a blacklist? (e.g. pbl.spamhaus.org, zen.spamhaus.org).

Its very likely that there is no problem with your laptop!

Telstra bigpond account & address. I believe it's Outlook 2007

This sounds like your e-mails are sent "directly" from your laptop (IP address) by a method named SMTP, while hotmail is used via the web browser (so called "webmail").

Unfortunately Thai IP (internet addresses) often land on blacklists due to the misuse by spammers, scammers, junk mail senders.

The mail providers (Telstra in your case) look up such blacklists and deny accepting e-mails.

Its not your fault and not much you can do about it.

(don't want to bother you with more details, like why you are blocked whilst others have done abuse)

Does Telstra also have a webmail service, using a webbrowser instead of outlook?

Using this would help.

Do you know this and have ever used it:

https://signon.bigpond.com/login?site=chw&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fmessaging.bigpond.com%2F%3Fref%3DNet-Head-Webmail

(my own IP address is on six blacklists today wink.png )

Edited by KhunBENQ

Not possible in easy words, some technical details and know ho to configure Outlook.

Just guessing:

the first link I gave you, will show your IP address being on the "Spamhaus" blocklist.

Copy the IP address and enter it at the following site:

http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

If it comes up with this:

<ipaddr> is listed in the PBL, in the following records:
PBL260993

then you have do settings in Outlook as described in the Spamhaus site:

http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL260993

You will have a hard time to find a shop that understands the problem and does the necessary settings in Outlook.

Edited by KhunBENQ

As has been mentioned, most ISPs will only let you SEND email "using their system" only while you are "actually on their system", otherwise they block you. This prevents their in-house system being used to send spam.

There ARE usually options. You'll need to look at the BigPond support pages and FAQs to see what they recommend when users are out-and-about, connected to other systems.

You need to focus on how to send OUTGOING email.

You've already found one alternative, use another email provider.

Yet another alternative might be to use WEB BASED email access while out-and-about.

Another alternative might available from BigPond if they allow AUTHENTICATED SECURE PORT SMTP, where a special port number is specified and your login credentials (name/pass) are used to connect to the BigPond in-house mail system.

Yet another alternative would be to find a 3rd-Party OUTGOING email service that will allow you to use them for outgoing mail when not on the BigPond system.

We can get more specific when you decide what alternative you want to pursue.

I switched from my ISP's email address to a gmail account and notified everyone. A bit of a pain but once done, it's entirely portable even if I switch ISP's at some point.

I use Outlook to send and receive gmail. Instead of a POP account it's an IMAP account. Basically instead of using pop or pop3 to receive email, I entered imap.gmail.com. It's still smtp to send. Here's a screen shot of the setup for pulling webmail.

post-164212-0-39757700-1421174534_thumb.

Using NeverSure's example, the OP can even continue to receive his Telstra BigPond in Outlook, but just add a google gmail IMAP account to the mix, then set the outgoing Telstra BigPond account to use the 'authorized' gmail IMAP account settings for OUTGOING mail. Once set it's workings should be invisible to the outlook user. Then no more need to copy/paste emails.