Poll: Discover Thainess campaign can boost tourism

Lite Beer

BANGKOK, 18 Jan 2015 (NNT) – A recent survey by Rajabhat Suan Dusit University has found that most respondents see the Discover Thainess Tourism 2015 campaign as a way to boost tourism and the economy but view crime and political instability as obstacles to the tourism industry.

When asked for their feedback on the Discover Thainess Tourism 2015 campaign and its inauguration at Lumpini Park, the majority of respondents approved of the campaign and wished that the event could be held not only in the capital city but also in other provinces. They are positive that the project would stir people’s interest in Thai culture and regain their confidence in the country. They suggested that related agencies keep following up tourists’ feedback.

As for the question on how the campaign’s opening ceremony might benefit tourism and the economy, most respondents believe that the activity will indeed help promote must-visit places and the special features of each province. Others think the event will just give a temporary flavor boost to the tourism industry. Nearly all of them agree with PM Prayut Chano-cha’s idea that Thai people’s friendliness and ready smiles are the easiest way to make tourists feel comfortable.

Regarding the most worrying factors, the poll has found that crime, political instability and conflicts, dishonest service providers, and environmental problems are considered most obstructive to tourism development. The respondents also suggested that constant PR campaigns, product and service improvement, Thai people’s generosity, cooperative efforts among related agencies and environmental conservation would have a key role in the sustainable growth of tourism.

The survey’s results were compiled from the opinions of 1,392 people across the country.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-18 footer_n.gif

Take the same Poll when foreigners leaving Thailand at airport. Then make changes according to poll result, then maybe.

When related agencies don't follow up tourists’ feedback, everything stays the same, year after year after year.

I personally don't believe in any boost, however I also stopped dreaming at age 10.

I'm still unclear on who exactly they are targeting when having these "discover this" and "happiness that" events ... the one in Lumpini for example, who was this for? Tourists that are already here? Was it advertised/promoted outside of Thailand at all? Or was there something at the airport for incoming travellers to let them know something interesting would be happening?

If the idea is to encourage tourists to come here to view these wonderful "events" and "parades" and "thainess", then they need to get the message out to people who are not already IN Thailand anyway.

• Like 2

"If the idea is to encourage tourists to come here to view these wonderful "events" and "parades" and "thainess", then they need to get the message out to people who are not already IN Thailand anyway".

Please, do not start employing logic it is not a fundamental ingredient of Thainess!

• Like 2

I'm still unclear on who exactly they are targeting when having these "discover this" and "happiness that" events ... the one in Lumpini for example, who was this for? Tourists that are already here? Was it advertised/promoted outside of Thailand at all? Or was there something at the airport for incoming travellers to let them know something interesting would be happening?

If the idea is to encourage tourists to come here to view these wonderful "events" and "parades" and "thainess", then they need to get the message out to people who are not already IN Thailand anyway.

Well seems like it's just more glorified talk for native headline consumption.

Of course most Thais will think promoting Thainess is a good thing. This poll, like most, is just silly and without real content. They will see only what they want to see and nothing will change.

If they were truly serious they would do as you suggested and get the message out there beyond Thailand, however they would first try to understand exactly what needs promoting and how, and therefore they would firstly strive to understand how others (NOT Thais) perceive Thainess. They should know by now that a lot of foreigners consider Thainess negatively, so the fact they're just mindlessly pushing it now (or something with the name) just shows how little they know about how other people see them.

Don't they realize that Thainess means thieving, scamming, lack of professionalism... a whole long list of negatives that are more or less based on truth. If they want to promote Thainess they must address this perception.

• Like 2

BANGKOK, 18 Jan 2015 (NNT) – A recent survey by Rajabhat Suan Dusit University has found that most respondents see the Discover Thainess Tourism 2015 campaign as a way to boost tourism and the economy but view crime and political instability as obstacles to the tourism industry.

My guess is that "most respondents" are employed by or related to, the high-ups in the Tourism Authority.

Edited by Lobo4819

Regarding the most worrying factors, the poll has found that crime, political instability and conflicts, dishonest service providers, and environmental problems are considered most obstructive to tourism development.

Hmmm, are not those the things most farang (especially those of us who live here) equate with Thainess? So, by inference, Thainess is obstructive to tourism development.

I thnk TAT needs to find a more appropriate theme. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"Discover Thainess campaign can boost tourism"

Absolutely No chance whatsoever, every time I see the phrase "Discover Thainess" I see a list of itemised negative comments as long as your arm..

When will TAT, thai government departments, ministers, Thai people realise the rest of the "normal" world (Ha define normal I hear people ask) do not think like them, if indeed they do "think" (or are interested)(or care) or

Interesting survey carried out on approx 0.0021% of the population by my amateur calculation wink.png

Edited by kaiyaibob

Thai people’s environmental conservation..............

Can somebody, please ask my neighbours to stop lighting fires all day?

Can somebody ask the Thais not to throw their rubbish wherever is convenient for them?

Can somebody ask the Thais to check their car exhausts so they don't choke me?

Can somebody ask the Thais to stop cutting every tree around me so to make charcoal?

Can somebody ask the Thais to reduce the noise level coming out from their huge speakers?

Can somebody ask the Thais.........too many questions to ask........no answers to be received..........

you are guest in their country so shut the f*** up

• Like 1

In Europe we all know about the jetski-scams, corrupt police, very dangerous roads, taxi-scams and so on. This is still happening on a daily basis so we call it Thainess. Australia is the new #1 holiday destination and much better then Thailand.

Nearly all of them agree with PM Prayut Chano-cha’s idea that Thai people’s friendliness and ready smiles are the easiest way to make tourists feel comfortable.

Why does this myth persist?

The myth persists because it makes the natives feel better / more secure about their identity.

Yep. Natives/poll respondents who have never been outside Thailand and seen how much the folks in other countries smile.

This is very big! What could be a more important attraction to any person than the experience of "Thainess." Thais themselves refer to Thainess as a way to differentiate themselves from the world and to prove that no one outside of a Thai could ever understand Thais because of this almost undefinable quality known as Thainess. How monumental this Thainess is. It is the penultimate "lure" to bring foreigners to Thailand and to separate them from their money.

In Europe we all know about the jetski-scams, corrupt police, very dangerous roads, taxi-scams and so on. This is still happening on a daily basis so we call it Thainess. Australia is the new #1 holiday destination and much better then Thailand.

The scams have grown as tourism as grown and as more people become aware of the rich pickings from tourists and also more aware of all the things the extra money can get for them. In short opportunity and greed.

Spain and it's resorts, Greece, and other "tourist" destinations went the same way. They all start off nice and friendly with the local welcoming, friendly and glad of the boost to the local economy. The touts, crooks, and criminal element see the opportunities and move in.

Some people in Europe are better informed than others, but still the tourists will come - just as they continue to go to the other rip off destinations in and outside Europe.

Where did you get the statistic that Australia is now the number 1 tourist destination for Europeans? The comment that it is much better than Thailand is presumably your own subjective view based on your personal opinion.

"... most respondents believe that the activity will indeed help promote must-visit places and the special features of each province".

Must-visit places and special features? A Go-Go Bars and bar girls with special features?

For those that have their brain between their legs the sex entertainment industry will always be an attraction - and not just for Thailand.

Thankfully, an increasing % of tourists are not of this ilk.

Nevertheless a trip to a sex entertainment area is often something tourists do, ask the Dutch, when visiting a place with a renowned one, out of curiosity.

There is a massive amount of wonderful nature, history and beauty in Thailand and it's islands. If only some could get their brains above their waist they'd be surprised.

These Thainess fairs are for Thai tourists in Thailand.

I visited the one in Lumpini. It was successful. Thousands of people, mainly Thais.

No interest for foreigners as it's just a big OTOP event.

Foreigners don't care to know that in this small village, local residents make honey or body cream or bags or dress.

Foreigners like sun, good hotel, nice smile, cheap massage, "aroy" food, not poor craft or folklore. Not special to Thailand => craft and folklore are ALWAYS ridiculous for foreigners, in any country.

• Like 1

These Thainess fairs are for Thai tourists in Thailand.

I visited the one in Lumpini. It was successful. Thousands of people, mainly Thais.

No interest for foreigners as it's just a big OTOP event.

Foreigners don't care to know that in this small village, local residents make honey or body cream or bags or dress.

Foreigners like sun, good hotel, nice smile, cheap massage, "aroy" food, not poor craft or folklore. Not special to Thailand => craft and folklore are ALWAYS ridiculous for foreigners, in any country.

An inaccurate generalisation I feel as a foreigner.

If they want to improve tourism with this Thainess crap then the place to start with it all is Pattaya and Phuket. God knows the locals need all the Thainess in the world injected into them just to make some of them close to civilized people.

That's right. I have to smile when, in Pattaya, the press - when reporting the New Year celebrations etc. always say things like 'visitors from all over the world attended'. The clear impression they try to give is that people jetted in specifically for these events, whereas, of course, they were already here. Just as you say.

Nearly all of them agree with PM Prayut Chano-cha’s idea that Thai people’s friendliness and ready smiles are the easiest way to make tourists feel comfortable.

Why does this myth persist?

Because of the truth behind it. Does not a con man or thief attempt to put potential victims at ease before waging his deed?