Extension of Stay

When I went to do my 90-day report this week, I was advised that my extension of stay is coming up for renewal. Its due next month however they advised me to come a month before it expires. I know, last time a representative from the school where I work went with me to immigration. However I'd like to do it myself I I can this time. Please can someone remind what I will need to take and also how much it costs to renew it? Thanks.

A non-o is not normally used for working unless you are a volunteer. But the type of non immigrant visa that you used to get the permit to stay you have extended does not matter.

If you are teaching what is needed to get an extension of stay depends upon what level of education you are teaching. The type of school, is it a government or private school and etc.

The school will have to supply the majority of the documents required.

I think there is some confusion here, if your current extension of a Non O visa is based on marriage to a Thai you can extend again on the same basis.You state that a school representitive went along with you last time which suggests you may have a Non B visa in which case the school will need to provide documentation for the extension.

I have a marriage based extension of a Non O visa and i work in a school with a work permit,this is perfectly legal but not all labour offices will issue a work permit for a Non O.

What type of visa did you originally obtain and what was the current extension based on?

Yeah, sorry its a Non B Immigrant visa I've got. Apologies. I'll ask the school for the documents. Just on this, I am thinking of changing schools this year, what will happen to my extension of stay if I change schools/jobs? Will it stay the same or will I have to start over?

If you change schools you do not have to start over by getting a new non-b visa. Under the new police order it would work this way.

Your new school would need to apply for your work permit and get a application approval letter from the Labor Ministry.

Then you would get a letter from your current school stating the date you employment ends then on that date you would apply for a new extension using the approval letter and documents from your new school. Then you could get your new work permit after the old one is cancelled.

• Like 1

Not sure of the exact requirements but if you want to change schools you will need paperwork from the new school to extend the visa and your current work permit will either have to be updated or replaced. If you leave your current school at the end of your contract i think this may effectively cancel your current extension of stay which leaves no time to find a new job before you have to leave the country,hopefully somebody with experience of your situation will be more helpful.

Sorry,didn't see Ubonjoes post before mine!

A former work colleague of mine was in the same situation last year and was able to sort out all documentation but there was a fair bit of legwork involved!

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

Yeah, sorry its a Non B Immigrant visa I've got. Apologies. I'll ask the school for the documents. Just on this, I am thinking of changing schools this year, what will happen to my extension of stay if I change schools/jobs? Will it stay the same or will I have to start over?

I just did this. In one day, you MUST go to the Min of Labor first to cancel your work permit, with a letter stating the date of your resignation, and signed by the Director of your school. Make sure it is dated the day you are going to go to Labour to avoid an overstay. Then, take your cancelled work permit receipt, make two copies for immigration, then go to Immigration to cancel your old non-B visa. When you arrive at immigration, tell them you need a visa extension of stay form (I think it's a TM-6). Fill it out, have copies of your cancelled work permit receipt they gave you at Labour, and go to the visa extension windows (46-50 probably). It will take ALL DAY (they stayed open until 10PM to get us all through, and I left at 8PM, after having arrived at 10AM). On the extension of stay form, ask for 7 days (they won't give you more than a week anymore). Get your stamp, pay, and plan to leave the country for a new Non-B visa before your extension runs out. Savannaket is cheap.

For the new Non-B, you will need a copy of your new contract in English AND also a copy of it in Thai; a copy of a letter from the school requesting the Consul where you go to grant you a Non-B, also signed by the director; plus a certified or stamped copy of your director's Thai ID, and a couple other documents (look it up, and take three copies of anything they want). Also take (2) 3x4cm photos. The Non B costs 2000 baht. The temporary visa to Laos costs 1500 baht (all as of Jan 2015). They are stopping one day visa service in Savannaket in Feb 2015 (no firm date given).

A small catch is both work permit and visa must be cancelled at the issuing offices. If you got them in Bangkok, you have to go to Bangkok. If you get a province job, make sure you get it worked out before you leave town. I didn't know that, and just boomeranged back and forth. I hope this info saves you grief and money. Good luck.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1