17 foreign ‘English teachers’ arrested in Chiang Mai for working illegally

Jonathan Fairfield

So they were teaching online courses to people in China.....no one in China able to do this?

A better question would be...why aren't they living in China and teaching English there? A bit odd to be teaching foreigners (Chinese) from a third country (Thailand).

First time I've heard of this.

the answer is very simple, because one suspects most of them wouldn't be accepted for any form of long term visa in China to live there, fact is its far too easy to acquire visa's which allow people to stay in country long term without any specific "justifiable" reason or visible means of support in Thailand.

Make it harder to get long term visa's/extensions in Thailand and this sort of thing will become virtually non-existent, simply because the people doing it will not be allowed to stay in country long term.

Common sense reason is it's just a lot more fun to live in Thailand while working online on something location-independent. It isn't odd at all.

Thailand is a way more popular destination - doesn't matter the type of online work is, people will do it here if location doesn't matter (which it doesn't for Skype teaching). Presumably they prefer private Skype tuition to being in a school - higher pay and no need to crowd control a class.

Soutpeel assumes these teachers wanted to stay long term, we don't know that at all, they may have just been on a gap year or backpacking for a few months and looking for part time cash. Actually China is pretty easy, 90 days on arrival and repeat that with border runs no questions asked.

Anyway, don't hold your breath waiting for it to be 'harder to get long term visa's [sic]' in Thailand.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they were teaching online courses to people in China.....no one in China able to do this?

A better question would be...why aren't they living in China and teaching English there? A bit odd to be teaching foreigners (Chinese) from a third country (Thailand).

the answer is very simple, because one suspects most of them wouldn't be accepted for any form of long term visa in China to live there, fact is its far too easy to acquire visa's which allow people to stay in country long term without any specific "justifiable" reason or visible means of support in Thailand.

Make it harder to get long term visa's/extensions in Thailand and this sort of thing will become virtually non-existent, simply because the people doing it will not be allowed to stay in country long term.

What criteria are you talking about? Flash 100,000 baht cash on arrival, bank statements, letter from Thai sponsor (lol)?

The system is currently setup to allow the following types of tourists: sexpats and pensioners. Anyone wanting to make money in any form other than teaching English will have a hard time.

The reason is that the authorities are still unable to comprehend the internet or any work that is done on the internet. They probably think it is a series of vacuum tubes like at the bank drive thru.

Look what happened with the PunSpace raid in Chiangmai -- the policed believed the dozen or so farang were inside working for the owner of the business. The idea that some of them were online making more money for themselves than anyone in a 3 mile radius was unfathomable.

What seems ludicrous to me is that the thai-owned business derived its income from chinese nationals in China, some of which was paid to english speaking farang in wages, to be spent here.

The salaries were low enough that any thai who could speak english well enough to teach it, would not sit behind a computer in an office, to earn such small money. So they were not 'stealing' thai jobs. I believe there were also plans to set up a residential school here for Chinese to stay for 3 months studying, bringing in more cash from China.

It seems to me that if 'the rules' are thoughtlessly applied without looking at the bigger picture, the increasing number of businesses that choose Vietnam instead, as it is business- friendly, will grow apace.

Thailand's major export markets of rice and sugar are both depressed and Government keeps revising down this year's economic growth number-which is probably still an over-estimate.

Time to start joining up the dots.....

And now China has just agreed a US$45billion deal with Pakistan that will see road and rail links through to the Indian Ocean. Seems a roundabout kind of route but the Chinese are far smarter than I am, and presumably some trade that could have come via Thailand, will be lost.

Not sure if we have an effective 'Department for Economic Development' here- if not, we need one. If yes, they need to step up to the plate.....

What seems ludicrous to me is that the thai-owned business derived its income from chinese nationals in China, some of which was paid to english speaking farang in wages, to be spent here.

The salaries were low enough that any thai who could speak english well enough to teach it, would not sit behind a computer in an office, to earn such small money. So they were not 'stealing' thai jobs. I believe there were also plans to set up a residential school here for Chinese to stay for 3 months studying, bringing in more cash from China.

It seems to me that if 'the rules' are thoughtlessly applied without looking at the bigger picture, the increasing number of businesses that choose Vietnam instead, as it is business- friendly, will grow apace.

Thailand's major export markets of rice and sugar are both depressed and Government keeps revising down this year's economic growth number-which is probably still an over-estimate.

Time to start joining up the dots.....

And now China has just agreed a US$45billion deal with Pakistan that will see road and rail links through to the Indian Ocean. Seems a roundabout kind of route but the Chinese are far smarter than I am, and presumably some trade that could have come via Thailand, will be lost.

Not sure if we have an effective 'Department for Economic Development' here- if not, we need one. If yes, they need to step up to the plate.....

Hmm it's quite well paid by Thai standards, $20-$30/hr, lots of these jobs advertised on Craigslist. http://cafetalk.com/ is a big one, with students / teachers based in every continent

Agreed they aren't stealing Thai jobs though, as Asians would insist on being taught by a white skinned native speaker, if they're paying for their child to be privately tutored, even if a fluent English speaking Thai was available.

And agreed with the rest of the post

It's idiots like these that give other foreigners who are working here legally with a permit a bad name. bah.gif

'TVGerry'...... How exactly are they giving foreigners, with a WP a bad name....... How?.......

ye how come on how ?

It's idiots like these that give other foreigners who are working here legally with a permit a bad name. bah.gif

'TVGerry'...... How exactly are they giving foreigners, with a WP a bad name....... How?.......

ye how come on how ?

Yes please TVGerry, enlight us :

you mean the ones working legally under illegal nominees companies?

The ones who are paid the minimum wages then everything above paid in cash under the counter?

Please tell us more

It's the world wide tinternet. You can teach anybody from anywhere at anytime

It started more then 15 years ago. In China radio and TV have been used to teach 25 million people simultaneously in the old days.its called distance learning.

It's the world wide tinternet. You can teach anybody from anywhere at anytime

It started more then 15 years ago. In China radio and TV have been used to teach 25 million people simultaneously in the old days.its called distance learning.

Never heard of the world wide "tinternet", LOL.

But seriously though, while of course you can teach anyone from anywhere in the world, I find it odd that westerners would teach English online from THAILAND to CHINESE people in CHINA? I mean, why not just live in China and do that? Or teach Thais online from Thailand. Or teach Chinese people online from your home country?

No wonder they were busted, someone was upset that they were teaching foreigners from Thailand, which does nothing for the Thai people. Otherwise there wouldn't have been this kind of response.

Doesn't seem odd to me in the slightest, given that the job can technically be done from anywhere in the world via the internet, why would it be beneficial to live in the same country as students, to stay back home, or to teach students in the country you lived, when the teaching is all done online anyway?

If I had the urge to travel, and the ability to live anywhere in the world and earn an income online, I wouldn't pick China or my home country as a place to live. You don't have to be based in the same location as customers with an online business / online services, it's one of the major benefits.

But seriously though, while of course you can teach anyone from anywhere in the world, I find it odd that westerners would teach English online from THAILAND to CHINESE people in CHINA? I mean, why not just live in China and do that? Or teach Thais online from Thailand. Or teach Chinese people online from your home country?

No wonder they were busted, someone was upset that they were teaching foreigners from Thailand, which does nothing for the Thai people. Otherwise there wouldn't have been this kind of response.

Tinternet is a well-known slang term, a parody of the Northern British accent, explanations all over Google.

The Chinese will pay more, but it's less fun to live in China. And more expensive to live in their home country. I don't know what's so strange about it.

They were busted because they worked in a physical office for a Thai entity being paid in Baht, and said Thai entity did shady things relating to taxes. There isn't any evidence Thailand would have a problem with me teaching online and being paid in USD, alone, and sending that offshore sourced money to Thailand to spend here. Thailand has never explicitly stated that remote working isn't allowed, or given a clear definition of 'working in Thailand' when it comes to work permit laws. But common sense dictates that it means being employed by a Thai entity.

• 3 months later...

Tinternet is a well-known slang term, a parody of the Northern British accent, explanations all over Google.

The Chinese will pay more, but it's less fun to live in China. And more expensive to live in their home country. I don't know what's so strange about it.

They were busted because they worked in a physical office for a Thai entity being paid in Baht, and said Thai entity did shady things relating to taxes. There isn't any evidence Thailand would have a problem with me teaching online and being paid in USD, alone, and sending that offshore sourced money to Thailand to spend here. Thailand has never explicitly stated that remote working isn't allowed, or given a clear definition of 'working in Thailand' when it comes to work permit laws. But common sense dictates that it means being employed by a Thai entity.

bullshit, the rules are very clear, if you work in thailand and live here you need a workpermit and pay taxes

bullshit, the rules are very clear, if you work in thailand and live here you need a workpermit and pay taxes

Who gives a toss?The

rules also say prostitution

is illegal and yet...... The

rules also say bars &

clubs must close at 1 or

2am and yet...... I work

remotely from home

without a work permit and

who the <deleted> is gonna come

and arrest me? You and

your merry band of 100%

law-abiding farangs? Yeah

right. Go preach

somewhere else, mate

Bad move.

They were not committing a crime, they were offering a service that Thais can't offer.

They were taking nobody's job.

Just another excuse to say how bad these foreigners are..................

I know, you can't work without a WP, but at this instance they were harming nobody.

illegal working and not paying income tax and insurance is a crime in Europe.

Actually before you consider cheating the revenue department and the social security, you better rob the next gasoline station.....you are better off...

Who gives a toss?The

rules also say bars &

clubs must close at 1 or

2am and yet...... I work

remotely from home

and arrest me? You and

your merry band of 100%

right. Go preach

somewhere else, mate

i don't give a shit what you do. i don't like the people on TV who say there is a grey area or that is legal, which it isn't.

Who gives a toss?The
rules also say bars &
clubs must close at 1 or
2am and yet...... I work
remotely from home
and arrest me? You and
your merry band of 100%
right. Go preach
somewhere else, mate
i don't give a shit what you do. i don't like the people on TV who say there is a grey area or that is legal, which it isn't.

Even the immigration official in Chiang Mai has approved working as a digital nomad. As long as you can show them you receive your salary in Europe and pay taxes in your home country you can stay in Thailand on any valid visa.

Bad move.

They were not committing a crime, they were offering a service that Thais can't offer.

They were taking nobody's job.

Just another excuse to say how bad these foreigners are..................

I know, you can't work without a WP, but at this instance they were harming nobody.

So, in your opinion only enforce the laws that you agree with?

I'd like to be able to agree with you, but in this case it doesn't appear they were being fitted up in an extortion scam and were breaking the law.

I guess someone PO the wrong people and they will suffer for it.

Who gives a toss?The
rules also say bars &
clubs must close at 1 or
2am and yet...... I work
remotely from home
and arrest me? You and
your merry band of 100%
right. Go preach
somewhere else, mate

Even the immigration official in Chiang Mai has approved working as a digital nomad. As long as you can show them you receive your salary in Europe and pay taxes in your home country you can stay in Thailand on any valid visa.
as said loads of times before immigration has nothing to to with the labour law or taxes

I bet the employer did not get troubles.

He's committing a crime too, makes the most profit, he was the one who did not provide the work permits, but eh he's Thai so that's OK.

Let's again put the blame on the foreigners.

'Even the immigration official in Chiang Mai has approved working as a digital nomad. As long as you can show them you receive your salary in Europe and pay taxes in your home country you can stay in Thailand on any valid visa.'

Show me.

Who gives a toss?The

rules also say bars &

clubs must close at 1 or

2am and yet...... I work

remotely from home

and arrest me? You and

your merry band of 100%

right. Go preach

somewhere else, mate

And a reputable link/ news source showing this please

I trust your not referring to that meeting in CM in which the comments where reported out of context and proved to be a myth by a TV member who was at the meeting who reported nothing of the sort was said ?

Who gives a toss?The

rules also say bars &

clubs must close at 1 or

2am and yet...... I work

remotely from home

and arrest me? You and

your merry band of 100%

right. Go preach

somewhere else, mate

I trust your not referring to that meeting in CM in which the comments where reported out of context and proved to be a myth by a TV member who was at the meeting who reported nothing of the sort was said ?

I hope you don't take the comments of one TV member for the truth and nothing but the truth.

Who gives a toss?The
rules also say bars &
clubs must close at 1 or
2am and yet...... I work
remotely from home
and arrest me? You and
your merry band of 100%
right. Go preach
somewhere else, mate

I hope you don't take the comments of one TV member for the truth and nothing but the truth.

I would have more of a tendancy to believe what Nancy L has to say on this issue over a digital pikey involved in who knows what activity on line, some of which may in fact be illegal

Nancy L has no axe to grind or agenda on the other hand the DM are always on here bleating on and making things up

But lets leave it there and lets see this reputed news link of CM immigration permitting all this

Digital nomads were working here with zero issues 6 months ago when this thread started...

still are today when one of the anti-online worker crew bumped the thread...

and still will be 6 months from now...

Seen these threads on TVF for years but the reality is there's never been an arrest or prosecution for working online, for remote entities, in any country in the world. And likely never will be.

Digital nomads were working here with zero issues 6 months ago when this thread started...

still are today when one of the anti-online worker crew bumped the thread...

and still will be 6 months from now...

Seen these threads on TVF for years but the reality is there's never been an arrest or prosecution for working online, for remote entities, in any country in the world. And likely never will be.

that you or others haven't been caught doesn't say anything about the legal side

Archived