Defibrillators in public places for heart attack victims in Thailand

webfact

Defibrillators in public places for heart attack victims
THE SUNDAY NATION

30252615-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- IN A MOVE to save more cardiac arrest patients, the National Institute for Emergency Medicine (NIEM) has joined forces with the private sector to install automated external defibrillators at public places frequented by high-risk individuals. The agency is also training people how to use the device.

A defibrillator can be used to check a patient's heartbeat and will direct an electric shock if it detects the rhythm to be abnormal.

The institute believes lives could be save if these devices are more readily available and more people are taught how to use them.

Earlier this month, a video clip that "went viral" showed a male passenger in his 60s passing out onboard a Nok Air flight to Chiang Mai and a crew member performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the patient. The plane returned to Don Mueang Airport, so the ill passenger could be taken to hospital.

NIEM chief Anucha Setthasathien said his agency has been continuously campaigning for public knowledge of first-aid, including use of a defibrillator, which have not been widely used in Thailand because they are expensive. Now, thanks to donations from private organisations, NIEM will be able to install these devices at state offices and public places in Bangkok and other provinces.

He said cardiac-arrest patients' chance of survival outside hospitals or medical facilities would rise by 45 per cent if they are tended to promptly.

Anucha said Japan has installed these devices at public places, such as train stations, bus terminals, airports, aircraft and trains, a marathon event site, golf courses, shopping malls and schools, as well as at tourist destinations that cannot be immediately accessed by emergency medical staff.

Use of a defibrillator is still quite new in Thailand, but people can now use the device under supervision and guidance of a doctor or qualified officials via the 1669 emergency hotline, Anucha said.

More training on correctly using an automated external defibrillator would be organised for people, he said, adding that NIEM recently trained 35 members of bicycle groups and volunteers on how to use the device.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Defibrillators-in-public-places-for-heart-attack-v-30252615.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-25

This is a good Idea , make sure they are placed in a well marked area in both Thai and English language , places like bus stations, Major shopping centres, anywhere where they could be needed, lets try and ensure that they will always work and they don't end up in the Night market at Kalasin.coffee1.gif

AED's are undoubtedly a good step.

However, you need to train the general public in their use. The point of AEDs is their immediate availability and use in cases of cardiac arrest caused by pulseless ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation. AED's detect the rhythm and then - if appropriate - advise the user to 'stand clear' and then press the 'shock' button

It defeats their purpose if you have to wait for someone who knows how to use them to arrive on the scene. This means a community training programme for all members of society, including those working in malls, office buildings, public transport, etc.

A really wonderful idea in theory, but I cant help but wonder about 3 things.

1) The defibs are as useful as a chocolate tea pot without trained people to use them, and 2) , Who will stop the recyclers from stealing them ?, and finally, will there be clear warnings on them to stop the people rechargeing their Iphones with them.

• Like 2

Just who is going to administer the shocks ,if the person

just happens to collapse near a machine,?,the way things are

here ,you wonder if this has not been proposed by someone

who owns or has shares in a medical equipment company.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

1) The defibs are as useful as a chocolate tea pot without trained people to use them, and 2) , Who will stop the recyclers from stealing them ?, and finally, will there be clear warnings on them to stop the people rechargeing their Iphones with them.

Tell us what you know about defibs?

The ones we use at work are pretty much fully automatic.... IF YOU CAN READ YOU CAN USE THEM.... U follow the instructions the machine gives you. It won't discharge, unless criteria is met in regards to the heart beat of the patient..... Nothing to do with the operator.

+1

I've seen a couple around Chiang Mai and the instructions that are posted nearby are pretty simple and explicit, even I could probably use it successfully!w00t.gif

The ones we use at work are pretty much fully automatic.... IF YOU CAN READ YOU CAN USE THEM.... U follow the instructions the machine gives you. It won't discharge, unless criteria is met in regards to the heart beat of the patient..... Nothing to do with the operator.

IF YOU CAN READ YOU CAN USE THEM

That unfortunately is one reason this idea will fail - most cannot read

Not my experience.... but hey, if that's your experience, then so be it.

Very common in public places/work places in Australia and many people trained to use them like Police etc. Police stations have them and even some police vehicles. They have saved lives and I think it's a good idea for Thailand as long as they are maintain and enough people are trained to use them. Everyone should be trained in first aid. You can't even get a job in Aust unless you have a first aid certificate.

Modern defibrilators talk an untrained operator through the process.....

Modern defibrilators talk an untrained operator through the process.....

Defibrillator: "put him chest. ZZZZZZZ!!!!"

Thai: "Arai nah? Mai kow jai."

Not my experience.... but hey, if that's your experience, then so be it.

My guess is these will be bought from outside Thailand.

Not saying Thais can't read, but they'll probably get TBS or similar to translate the instructions & people will wind up getting zapped on the bottoms of their feet or other sundry places.

They'll be made for 110 volts & plugged in to 220 volts which will blow a fuse so they'll hard wire it.

They'll fall into a pool somewhere & kill somebody.

Most likely some guv'ment "Official" will get a kick-back to install a few dozen of them, and they will collect dust and NEVER be maintained.

I don't know diddly about defibrillators, except they toss out a lot of juice & some doctor is supposed to yell "CLEAR!" on television before they zap someone.

I was taught CPR though when I was about 12, in public school in Florida plus had some military training on it when I was 18.

I wonder if they teach CPR in Thai schools?

• Like 1

a good initiative and one that i have seen in other countries.

i hope they will be checked regularly and maintained correctly.

one problem may be the cultural reticence of thais to react in a prompt and decisive way when faced with a serious situation. some public information to create awareness of the defibrillators, their use and to encourage positive action from the general public would be beneficial

This is a good Idea , make sure they are placed in a well marked area in both Thai and English language , places like bus stations, Major shopping centres, anywhere where they could be needed, lets try and ensure that they will always work and they don't end up in the Night market at Kalasin.coffee1.gif

Somehow I see a lot of passed-out farang bar patrons ending up getting a rude awakening ... or possibly a public execution ... especially by equally drunk friends who qualify as medical experts after watching too many episodes of ER.

• Like 2

Nice idea but the chance of dying in the extremely dangerous traffic is much higher then of a heartattack.

Also local markets have far too low roofs with dangerous pins sticking out at eyeheight. wai2.gif

Or have electric extensioncables laying all over the floor in water....well the list is endless but defibrillators will look better in the Thai promotional news i guess.whistling.gif

• Like 1

10 or so years ago I was given a class in using a defibrillator.....conducted by a Thai doctor hired by an American agency in Thailand to conduct the training. During the training, the doctor mentioned that Thai ambulances didn't carry such equipment.....and that nurses or emergency medical technicians weren't trained to use them. That was 10 years ago....don't know if that's changed.

Somehow I see a lot of passed-out farang bar patrons ending up getting a rude awakening ... or possibly a public execution ... especially by equally drunk friends who qualify as medical experts after watching too many episodes of ER.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I hope my wife never hears of a defibrillator. She'll want to use it on me every day.w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1