Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Seems like rijit has had his finest hour and MrB had a nightmare.

I don't know how reach that conclusion Carms. You said the following:-

The stup comments about spending loads totally forgets the FACTS which are that we had to sell the likes of berba, Modric and Carrick, our best players to spend those sums on purchase. Tables regarding spend and totally disregarding sales are largely irrelevent and cloud reality

The FACTS that you guys forget is that a balance sheet consist of ALL incomings and outgoings, not just the buy and sale of players.That is where the net spend table becomes misleading. For instance, if you get an airline to sponsor you for 400mil quid wink.png you can go out and spend an awful lot of that on players without having to sell many.

But as Smokes would say, lets not nitpick. You look at the figures how you like to and I'll look at em how I like to. thumbsup.gif

Like the similarity in the combined weekly wages of your forward line of Dzecko Tevez Aguero and Ballotelli being almost the same as our entire 25 man squad! cheesy.gif

And no i don't want to do the math to get to the exact figure bit its quite close and i find it very funnybiggrin.png

Then you are in denial again Carms. Putting a smiley after your quote doesn't deflect from your daft post.

This is as of May this year. Man City avg weekly pay per player $142,380 and Tottenham are $73,259. So roughly just over 50% of our spend. You also moved up the table by about 50 places from last year. For this year, you have increased from that figure as you have now ditched your wage cap. We got rid of one of our big wage earners (Adebayor). But hey Carms, don't let facts ruin your bubble that you seem to be stuck in.

Edit to add the source:- http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7850531/espn-magazine-sportingintelligence-global-salary-survey-espn-magazine

Hold on a minute, you're ranked 3rd and were ranked 51st!!

Now i suppose we are going to have jack on here sabre rattling about we'll see whose smiling after City and Spurs meet!!! Well i should bloody well hope with a the money being spent that he will be because if spending get better quality players then no one else in the league should be able to compete with you and that horrid west london team.

How is that think living in a bubble?

The difference is Carms. I am well aware of the bubble we are in and fully aware of how much we have and are spending. What makes me laugh is when supporters of other clubs throw that at us without realising that they themselves, albeit not as much, are also spending heftily.

It was you who threw in the "our 25 man squad are on less than your front 4" scenario. I just proved it wrong and batted it back at you.

The difference is Carms. I am well aware of the bubble we are in and fully aware of how much we have and are spending. What makes me laugh is when supporters of other clubs throw that at us without realising that they themselves, albeit not as much, are also spending heftily.

It was you who threw in the "our 25 man squad are on less than your front 4" scenario. I just proved it wrong and batted it back at you.

I was just pulling your chain with that scenario!! But the point is that no one IS spending heftily in comparison, nowhere near as much and all i am saying is that that is the reason for the success. its all down to spend.

Why is it that its only City and fans of that other team that have such a raw nerve when this is discussed. For example, how much did Oscar, Mata and Hazaed cost? And their wages? Ofcourse they are going to win trophys in the very near future and so will city because any blip will be rienforced by more spend.

Its just reality!

It is carms and the whole idea of FFP is to try to stop this to an extent. Rich clubs will compete financially as well as on the pitch, of course they will but when the money isn't generated in the game itself then you have a situation where the game is not self financing and therefore prone to collapse.

Its a crazy situation but, as mrboj says, most of us would love to see Messi wearing our shirt. Logic goes out of the window on a Saturday afternoon.....I whinge like hell when we don't get the Moutinho's of the game but I do realise in the longer term its probably best we don't spend £25m on one player.

Still...if we signed him in January....! w00t.gif

, as you have now ditched your wage cap. We got rid of one of our big wage earners (Adebayor). But hey Carms, don't let facts ruin your bubble that you seem to be stuck in.

Edit to add the source:- http://espn.go.com/e...y-espn-magazine

i f your gonna use 'dont let the facts ruin your bubble' best YOU get the facts right, we haven't ditched our wage cap, were prudent,but to try to be be competitive we've increased it .And Seems your pleased with your management who got rid of ONE non playing high wage earner, seems rumor has it they got a good deal for the club?

Now i suppose we are going to have jack on here sabre rattling about we'll see whose smiling after City and Spurs meet!!! Well i should bloody well hope with a the money being spent that he will be because if spending get better quality players then no one else in the league should be able to compete with you and that horrid west london team.

I have a serious question for you carmine....

Correct me if I am wrong, but you have been on here over the months making statements to the effect that Spurs cannot possibly compete with the likes of Chelsea and City, in both paying wages and paying inflated transfer fees. Therefore you concede at the moment you have no chance of winning the title ( I am sure you conceded this in a previous post). You have also shown your disdain for clubs such as City paying such high prices as you feel it ruins football, and you, I believe also stated that you would not like it if some rich oil baron took over your club and injected billions into it ( I guess you feel that morally it is not right). I assume you also believe that even if you qualified for CL, then you would have no chance of winning that because you then have to compete with clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid, as well as City and Chelsea.

So my question is.... why is your club paying Adebayor the high wages (in comparison)? Why spend millions on the players you have brought in? Why not give youth a chance? Your team was too good to get relegated, why not invest the money you spent on your transfers on young and upcoming players for the future?

Because my argument is, if City or Chelsea are 'buying' the League or CL, or whatever, by spending money.... what are Spurs 'buying' by spending their millions? 5th place? A cup run?. I can understand say, QPR spending money... they are sh!t and if they dont spend they will be relegated pure and simple. But I dont understand why Spurs bother spending anything?

, as you have now ditched your wage cap. We got rid of one of our big wage earners (Adebayor). But hey Carms, don't let facts ruin your bubble that you seem to be stuck in.

Edit to add the source:- http://espn.go.com/e...y-espn-magazine

i f your gonna use 'dont let the facts ruin your bubble' best YOU get the facts right, we haven't ditched our wage cap, were prudent,but to try to be be competitive we've increased it .And Seems your pleased with your management who got rid of ONE non playing high wage earner, seems rumor has it they got a good deal for the club?

Give over rij. It's the same thing. You ditched your wage cap, so stop trying to plug the leak in your bubble and realise that it's burst. You can't keep on increasing it whenever you like and still call it a wage cap. OK then. We have a wage cap as well, at about 250k per week...................until we want to pay someone 300k per week.

jack and dan, Whilst in the past i've had a certain empathy with you, i cant but help wonder what the fuc you're on about, our policy is totally bearing fruit, instigated by pleat, we buy young promising talent at a reasonable cost and nuture, lennon naughton, walker were bought in their teens, most were loaned and introduced when ready, arguably if you include caulker, a youith team product, we could well provide 75 % of englands bac line in the not so distant future, what the fuc have club done nothing but bought expensive and sold cheap, given no youth a chance

And bo get over what exactly?, lets see how your club manage when the fair play comes in and £2500000 and HUGE payments AKA teves become a thing of the past. whilst i'm pleased 4 you that you've won a league title, per the table you ? put up your'e paying just behind real and barca, but comparing their success to your's do you think the way your doing things looks toward logevity or your built for the short term, and as you say you wont be paying out large again how will that bear on your future, not so good me thinks. But hey ho, lets get bac to spurs talk

Edited by rijit

jack and dan, Whilst in the past i've had a certain empathy with you, i cant but help wonder what the fuc you're on about, our policy is totally bearing fruit, instigated by pleat, we buy young promising talent at a reasonable cost and nuture, lennon naughton, walker were bought in their teens, most were loaned and introduced when ready, arguably if you include caulker, a youith team product, we could well provide 75 % of englands bac line in the not so distant future, what the fuc have club done nothing but bought expensive and sold cheap, given no youth a chance

And bo get over what exactly?, lets see how your club manage when the fair play comes in and £2500000 and HUGE payments AKA teves become a thing of the past. whilst i'm pleased 4 you that you've won a league title, per the table you ? put up your'e paying just behind real and barca, but comparing their success to your's do you think the way your doing things looks toward logevity or your built for the short term, and as you say you wont be paying out large again how will that bear on your future, not so good me thinks. But hey ho, lets get bac to spurs talk

The point I am making is why make expensive purchases? Everything is relative. If you believe that we are 'buying ' our success, then why are you also buying? Why not rely on this 'youth policy' that you keep going on about?

We have just invested a sh!t load in a youth academy project, bigger than the Englands new centre of excellence. Our owners are well aware of FPP

Correct me if I am wrong, but you have been on here over the months making statements to the effect that Spurs cannot possibly compete with the likes of Chelsea and City, in both paying wages and paying inflated transfer fees. Therefore you concede at the moment you have no chance of winning the title ( I am sure you conceded this in a previous post). You have also shown your disdain for clubs such as City paying such high prices as you feel it ruins football, and you, I believe also stated that you would not like it if some rich oil baron took over your club and injected billions into it ( I guess you feel that morally it is not right). I assume you also believe that even if you qualified for CL, then you would have no chance of winning that because you then have to compete with clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid, as well as City and Chelsea.

So my question is.... why is your club paying Adebayor the high wages (in comparison)? Why spend millions on the players you have brought in? Why not give youth a chance? Your team was too good to get relegated, why not invest the money you spent on your transfers on young and upcoming players for the future?

Because my argument is, if City or Chelsea are 'buying' the League or CL, or whatever, by spending money.... what are Spurs 'buying' by spending their millions? 5th place? A cup run?. I can understand say, QPR spending money... they are sh!t and if they dont spend they will be relegated pure and simple. But I dont understand why Spurs bother spending anything?

Thanks jack for that nonsensical tosh.

As i've frequently stated and shall do so one last time; We spend as much as we can afford. Why is that so dificult for you to grasp?

For you i shall explain further by way of a comparison of TOMATOESwink.png

As most of us know, your average thai tomatoe is rather poor quality but dirt cheap. Its what you make do with if thats all your budget can stretch to.

Then you have the option of vine tomatoes that are more expensive but have a much better taste.

But jack and this is a very big but!!!! if you have the money you can go to Tesco's and buy imported european tomatoes that are the absolute top <deleted>. Cost a fortune but if you have the cash then thats what you'll buy.

Do you see where we're going here?

Now, i see Spurs really in the vine tomatoe category of customer and Wigan or Southampton are very much a thai tomatoe.

What sort of catagory tomatoe do you think City and Chelsea would be?

Hope this helps. Football has turned into financial madness. All Spurs do is to spend only what they can afford. If you cannot see the good sense in this i cannot help you further.

As i've frequently stated and shall do so one last time; We spend as much as we can afford. Why is that so dificult for you to grasp?

As most of us know, your average thai tomatoe is rather poor quality but dirt cheap. Its what you make do with if thats all your budget can stretch to.

Then you have the option of vine tomatoes that are more expensive but have a much better taste.

But jack and this is a very big but!!!! if you have the money you can go to Tesco's and buy imported european tomatoes that are the absolute top <deleted>. Cost a fortune but if you have the cash then thats what you'll buy.

Now, i see Spurs really in the vine tomatoe category of customer and Wigan or Southampton are very much a thai tomatoe.

Hope this helps. Football has turned into financial madness. All Spurs do is to spend only what they can afford. If you cannot see the good sense in this i cannot help you further.

I see the point you are making. But Tomatoes are not a matter of life and death. There are other cheaper foods you can eat. Point is you dont need to buy tomatoes to survive. Your team does not need to spend 20 million on a player to survive. Why not invest in youth.

Using your tomato analogy. If you can afford vineyard tomatoes, but they are way overpriced... you dont buy them as they are not value for money. Unless you needed them to survive. Thai tomatoes are crap, so you dont buy those. So why not invest in a greenhouse, and grow your own organic tomatoes? Takes a longer time, but in the end cheaper and tastier. You see where I am going with this?

I have been a City fan all my life. I was NEVER jealous of the other teams spending money that we never had. I NEVER thought that by buying those players at prices we could never afford, that it was spoiling football. What I used to wish for in the late 70's and 80's in particular was stability with a long term manager and a fantastic youth policy. City always failed on the stability side!! So now I am lapping it up... I am not looking down on you or any other team who cannot afford what we can. But I just get defensive when other fans are deriding us, and insinuating that its not fair.

"These Thai tomatoes taste like shit! Who bought these? Where's our tasty vine tomatoes?"

and on the subject of Adebayor, "Cor blimey! These European toms aint half juicy innit guv?" even a bit of my famous Dick van Dyck so you understand Jack.....

I see the point you are making. But Tomatoes are not a matter of life and death. There are other cheaper foods you can eat. Point is you dont need to buy tomatoes to survive. Your team does not need to spend 20 million on a player to survive. Why not invest in youth.

Using your tomato analogy. If you can afford vineyard tomatoes, but they are way overpriced... you dont buy them as they are not value for money. Unless you needed them to survive. Thai tomatoes are crap, so you dont buy those. So why not invest in a greenhouse, and grow your own organic tomatoes? Takes a longer time, but in the end cheaper and tastier. You see where I am going with this?

I have been a City fan all my life. I was NEVER jealous of the other teams spending money that we never had. I NEVER thought that by buying those players at prices we could never afford, that it was spoiling football. What I used to wish for in the late 70's and 80's in particular was stability with a long term manager and a fantastic youth policy. City always failed on the stability side!! So now I am lapping it up... I am not looking down on you or any other team who cannot afford what we can. But I just get defensive when other fans are deriding us, and insinuating that its not fair.

To be fair to Villas-Boas he really has started bringing the youth through. Caulkers been given a chance. As exceptional a youg talent as he is Redknapp only wanted seasoned pros and would not use youngsters except in the cups. Andros Townsend is also being brought to the forefront as is young Mason and Carol. Admittedly through injury to BAE but he also started Kyle Naughton at left back (even though he's a right back) and probably would have retained him bar his injury.

All this has been done in a very short space of time and i think its fair to say that he is looking very much to the youth.

Finally with the spend issue my feelings are not about jealousy at all. I don't have a problem with City although i'll admit i loathe Chelsea and for good reason. i just don't think the spending and the wages are good for the game, i think they are destroying it.

Edited by carmine

100k a week or 150k a week is an irrelevance. At our club that is money which would be better long term spent improving facilities...ie a new stadium.

This is currently proving impossible given the income stream is being used to pay players instead. Same is true throughout the Premiership.

At some point something must break with the whole situation.

The other indication of our future direction is in the 40m investment in the new training ground and facilities now open at enfield and only minutes from the ground. Levy could have spent that on a player like the mercenary Edin Hazard for example but he's investment in the longtern infastructure Apparently the new training center is unbelievable, the best in the country.

Far from being jealous of any other club i applaud the direction we are being taken in and i'm delighted with the appointion of Villas-Boas

Do i wish that Joe Lewis would splash the cash a bit more? Yes ofcourse but in truth regards that the only occasion i was really pissed off was when we failed to secure Moutinho from Porto. That was a crucial signing and Levy should have been told to forget the knit picking and just do the deal. That was a very stupid cock up.

Edited by carmine

The other indication of our future direction is in the 40m investment in the new training ground and facilities now open at enfield and only minutes from the ground. Levy could have spent that on a player like the mercenary Edin Hazard for example but he's investment in the longtern infastructure Apparently the new training center is unbelievable, the best in the country.

Far from being jealous of any other club i applaud the direction we are being taken in and i'm delighted with the appointion of Villas-Boas

Do i wish that Joe Lewis would splash the cash a bit more? Yes ofcourse but in truth regards that the only occasion i was really pissed off was when we failed to secure Moutinho from Porto. That was a crucial signing and Levy should have been told to forget the knit picking and just do the deal. That was a very stupid cock up.

Good post. Yes hopefully we will rectify that mistake in January.

Good post. Yes hopefully we will rectify that mistake in January.

Don't think it'll happen now personally. Dembele has been fantastic and as Alf and others have muted AVB might look to pair up Sandro and Parker when he's fit again and push Dembele further up. Love to see how he's link up with Adebayor

Its an option but baring inmind that the central pairing of Sandro/dembele has won more possession than any other pairing in the league this season he might well choose to let things lie.

looking forward to the game on saturday.

Edited by carmine

Given the cost involved perhaps better to look for that other striker I keep blabbing on about! biggrin.png

A striker that can hold the ball up. Its not an ideal situation when Adebayor is the only one who can do that.

I presume he'll start with Ade on saturday incidentally and i will hazard a guess that Lloris will be in goal! same back four, wings Bale and lennon with Dempsey i the middle.

The point I am making is why make expensive purchases?

Everything is relative. If you believe that we are 'buying ' our success, then why are you also buying? Why not rely on this 'youth policy' that you keep going on about?

We have just invested a sh!t load in a youth academy project, bigger than the Englands new centre of excellence. Our owners are well aware of FPP

It's called balance,and you aint got any, 4 any club to stop buying talent to improve the squad aint gonna happen or to totally rely on youth or bringing younger players into the club either or would be foolish, we've had a' plan' in place since pleat was manager, buying less expensive young or high profile talent from lower league talent and nurturing it started with etherington , gardner admitedly we lost the likes of prince but weve prospered with lennon and the 2 boys from sheff utd, and our academy has started to feed our team, with the likes' of caulker, ari played his part loaned them out and played them when they were ready to step up aka walker gave debuts to the likes of rose townsend and livermore and it's pleasing to see that vb is now carrying on the policy and seemingly taking it a step forward. What the point i'm making is that we put the policy into place ?? years ago

when the fair play comes in your expecting this seemingly recent decision to invest in youth to immediately bridge the gap that 'fair play' will introduce?, it wont happen, it takes years so how are you going to deal with this? throw money at it , chelsea tried it and failed and silly me, you wont be able to, so how are you going to deal with this short fall in income? when your 250 grand aweek players come 4 contract renewals and you CANT pay them and your expensive academy hasnt had the time to bear fruit yet? Reality check time me thinks.

when the fair play comes in your expecting this seemingly recent decision to invest in youth to immediately bridge the gap that 'fair play' will introduce?, it wont happen, it takes years so how are you going to deal with this? throw money at it , chelsea tried it and failed and silly me, you wont be able to, so how are you going to deal with this short fall in income?

The Sheikh has a very big family with lots of big companies that would love to sponsor us rij smile.png

Seriously though. The Sheikh has a very big family with lots of big companies that would love to sponsor us.

No, seriously rij. If you think you are more commercially and financially savvy than the decision makers at our club, feel free. But my money is on them. They have had FFP in their sights for several years and have every confidence that they can adhere to it. It's not long now before we will see if they can.

when the fair play comes in your expecting this seemingly recent decision to invest in youth to immediately bridge the gap that 'fair play' will introduce?, it wont happen, it takes years so how are you going to deal with this? throw money at it , chelsea tried it and failed and silly me, you wont be able to, so how are you going to deal with this short fall in income?

The Sheikh has a very big family with lots of big companies that would love to sponsor us rij smile.png

Seriously though. The Sheikh has a very big family with lots of big companies that would love to sponsor us.

No, seriously rij. If you think you are more commercially and financially savvy than the decision makers at our club, feel free. But my money is on them. They have had FFP in their sights for several years and have every confidence that they can adhere to it. It's not long now before we will see if they can.

My case rests. Thank fuc for that!!!!!

Given Bale's new found talent for crossing from either side another big striker sems the logical choice.

Let's get one who has some ability and eye for goal too this time around though!

No Stevie...no!! biggrin.png

Trouble is they arnt that easy to come by, and they reckon jans a difficult time to do business but might ba be an option? The rumors are still floating around about him wanting 2 leave Newcastle in jan , he shouldn't be 2 expensive an option he's proven in the prem and would give us something different.not the most adventurous signing admittedly , but could he do a job?

I'm glad your not my lawyer cos you've got your cases mixed up.

I'm glad your not my lawyer cos you've got your cases mixed up.

Mate, the only thing mixed up is man city

Given Bale's new found talent for crossing from either side another big striker sems the logical choice.

Let's get one who has some ability and eye for goal too this time around though!

Trouble is they arnt that easy to come by, and they reckon jans a difficult time to do business but might ba be an option? The rumors are still floating around about him wanting 2 leave Newcastle in jan , he shouldn't be 2 expensive an option he's proven in the prem and would give us something different.not the most adventurous signing admittedly , but could he do a job?

Its the perfect time to sign a certain Brazilian striker.

Its the perfect time to sign a certain Brazilian striker.

yeah could well be smokes, he sounds an exciting prospect, camine raves bout the boy, TBH dont really know that much about him, barring his cost which seems to be spiraling!!