Tottenham Thread

chonabot

That they are not City with Bells on. Barring 4 of Monaco's players they would struggle to get more than £5m for any of them. City would struggle to get less than £5m for any of their players.

Dembele, Lennon, Siggy, Parker, Lloris, Walker and Chadli should have all put on a better account for themselves.

Just a snippet which puts the whole Bale fairy tale into perspective:

Quote//

Real are well known for being keen to pay their transfer fees in instalments – hence why Tottenham are still owed money for Luka Modric and while Real's debt is often quoted as €590m and they remain under investigation by the European Commission over a land deal with the city council, that figure measures their entire liabilities.//

Taken from The Guardian.

One of the reports into the Bale saga stated the Real only wanted to pay £20m upfront!!! :-0

Not meaning to split hairs but the definition of a saga is "a long story, especially about something dramatic or about heroic events"...... Hence my description of the fictitious series of non events we have been presented by Marca as a fairy tale!

But good on you for pointing out the suggestion that they could only muster 20m as a down payment. As I said 3 or 4 weeks ago, RM are broke, even ARSEne is on song with that one.

One of the reports into the Bale saga stated the Real only wanted to pay £20m upfront!!! :-0

Its all become quite laughable this whole saga. We should just say, 85m+Marata with the cash upfront, include the money you also owe us for Modric. D the deal on those terms or <deleted> off and tap up someone else's player. They are funded by the Bank of Madrid <deleted>, thats the only reason they arn't in liquidation along with Coventry City

• Like 1

Being serious, so don't get your knickers in a twist, but have you strengthened much this transfer window? Point being you have bought Soldado, Paulinho and Chadli. So you have improved on the striker front. Midfield is difficult to say with Dempsey sold IMO. I would have said he under performed for you last year, but still scored 15 with 8 assists. Paulinho and Chadli are not EPL proven and may take time to adjust. Defensively you have lost Gallas (I know you may be happy about that) and Caulker.

Is this a matter of Levy giving and taking away in equal measure? I know the transfer window has a month left, but I haven't read about any rumours of players coming in and the season starts in 2 weeks.

Thoughts?

All very very interesting reading guys.

Looks like Mr Ian is on that M-150 stuff.

Cheers

Then again the so called inevitable trasfer to Madrid doesn't seem nearly as likely at it might of a few days ago and Ian might just end up being correct.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if theres a pre contract with Madrid and he stays with us for another season. Can Madrid afford to keep Ronaldo AND buy Bale. Doubtful. Just maybe there won't be enough time to put in place two or three huge transfers that will need to happen to initiate the merry go round.

My personal preference for this saga is 85m+ Marata, cash up front. However, they are skint and can't afford him so they should run along and take a season to find the money

Being serious, so don't get your knickers in a twist, but have you strengthened much this transfer window? Point being you have bought Soldado, Paulinho and Chadli. So you have improved on the striker front. Midfield is difficult to say with Dempsey sold IMO. I would have said he under performed for you last year, but still scored 15 with 8 assists. Paulinho and Chadli are not EPL proven and may take time to adjust. Defensively you have lost Gallas (I know you may be happy about that) and Caulker.

Is this a matter of Levy giving and taking away in equal measure? I know the transfer window has a month left, but I haven't read about any rumours of players coming in and the season starts in 2 weeks.

Thoughts?

My concern is that we have not guaranteed a replacement for Caulker. If not we are light in that dept.

Other that this its been a fantastic window, we are much stronger and as we speak i couldn't be happier with the situation

point taken carmine.

For what it's worth I think spurs have had a very good window already and will be a force to be reckoned with in the EPL.

AVB rising star IMHO.

Really? Looking very dodgy in defence (2 out, none in),lost a good attacking threat in midfield, granted improved up front. I'm not sure how much they will improve over last season. At the top you need to have a very good squad..............unless you have Fergie in your team. :-)

I think Swansea and Norwich have had good windows in relation to their positions.

point taken carmine.

For what it's worth I think spurs have had a very good window already and will be a force to be reckoned with in the EPL.

AVB rising star IMHO.

Really? Looking very dodgy in defence (2 out, none in),lost a good attacking threat in midfield, granted improved up front. I'm not sure how much they will improve over last season. At the top you need to have a very good squad..............unless you have Fergie in your team. :-)

I think Swansea and Norwich have had good windows in relation to their positions.

"Looking very dodgy" in defense sounds a very dramatic term to use in our case.

Put more realistically, Vertonghen is out for one game and we have on going negotiations to replace Caulker with a fourth center back. Then we'll be just fine in defense and our midfield and attack looks splendid.smile.png

• Like 1

Its all become quite laughable this whole saga. We should just say, 85m+Marata with the cash upfront, include the money you also owe us for Modric. D the deal on those terms or <deleted> off and tap up someone else's player. They are funded by the Bank of Madrid <deleted>, thats the only reason they arn't in liquidation along with Coventry City

probably relevant.

Real Madrid are €590m in debt so how do they get round Uefa finance rules?

• Manchester City less in line with Financial Fair Play rules

• Spanish side's spending spree may include Gareth Bale

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/03/real-madrid-uefa-financial-fair-play

At first, and maybe second, glance it would appear that a world record-busting move by Real Madrid for Gareth Bale is not exactly in line with the pledge by the Uefa president, Michel Platini, to put the brakes on the game's overheating finances.

Arsène Wenger, who has long made his distaste for spiralling wages and transfer fees plain, said it was "a joke" that Madrid would spend so much in the same season that FFP was introduced.

But a combination of the series of concessions negotiated by the biggest clubs through the European Club Association to Uefa's Financial Fair Play rules and Real Madrid's huge revenue‑generating potential mean the two things are not quite as contradictory as they might appear.

Much to the chagrin of its critics, who fear it will "lock in" the established order, the FFP break-even rules favour the biggest earning clubs. And of those, Real Madrid have consistently been the biggest for the past eight years.

The latest Deloitte Money League report calculated they had become the first to break the €500m annual revenue barrier, with their total of €512.6m an increase of 11% on last year. The Spanish TV rights model, with Real Madrid and Barcelona keeping the lion's share, in contrast to the more equitable division in England, and a concerted drive to exploit the brand abroad helped.

Since those figures were compiled, Real have signed a new, 30% more lucrative shirt sponsorship deal and started work on a stadium redevelopment scheme. As far as the FFP calculations are concerned, total transfer outlay is less important than you might think. Transfer fees can be amortised over the length of a player's contract, making wages the more important factor and perhaps explaining Real's keenness to move players on as well as bring them in. Gonzalo Higuain has gone to Napoli for £32m and various names have been mooted as potential part-exchange makeweights for Tottenham's Bale.

Real are well known for being keen to pay their transfer fees in instalments – hence why Tottenham are still owed money for Luka Modric and while Real's debt is often quoted as €590m and they remain under investigation by the European Commission over a land deal with the city council, that figure measures their entire liabilities.

Under the accounting measures employed by English clubs, the blogger Swiss Ramble worked out last year the figure would be €146m – less than Arsenal or Manchester United.

Under the FFP rules, clubs are allowed €45m leeway over the first two seasons and can also disregard deals signed before the rules were announced. Even if they fall foul, if they can show a positive "direction of travel" it will act as mitigation.

All of which means that Madrid, with their huge earning power, are a less startling example of football's refusal to bend to Platini's will than Manchester City, Paris St-Germain and Monaco.

guys guys PLEASE the words 'fill your boots ' i believe was used to start the thread about the irratating comic book saga of the bale transfer I thought we all agreed its better off Their rather then filling this thread with it .

Edited by rijit

point taken carmine.

AVB rising star IMHO.

Put more realistically, Vertonghen is out for one game and we have on going negotiations to replace Caulker with a fourth center back. Then we'll be just fine in defense and our midfield and attack looks splendid.smile.png

We've bought two midfielders and a striker. Sold one midfielder.

Rose has returned to the defence and Gallas was past it by Xmas anyway....so we need to replace Caulker....that I agree with.

Therefore we have two more first team players than last season by my reckoning...better players as well.....so our squad is stronger overall.

You could make the case for buying two more defenders but I don't think that is essential unless Kaboul has a longer term issue.

I'm feeling very positive as thinks stand.

seems both sets of arguments bout our window activity has some validity i suppose the proof of the pudding Will be in the eating. and by xmas we`ll know?

You are joking rij?

If we had bought and sold no one but Soldado we would all be happy enough in May.

As it stands I'm absolutely delighted.

seems both sets of arguments bout our window activity has some validity i suppose the proof of the pudding Will be in the eating. and by xmas we`ll know?

Haven't you learnt, the season ends in May. ;-)

I suppose it all matters how quickly your team gels and the new boys settle in.

point taken carmine.

AVB rising star IMHO.

Put more realistically, Vertonghen is out for one game and we have on going negotiations to replace Caulker with a fourth center back. Then we'll be just fine in defense and our midfield and attack looks splendid.Posted Image

We've bought two midfielders and a striker. Sold one midfielder.

Rose has returned to the defence and Gallas was past it by Xmas anyway....so we need to replace Caulker....that I agree with.

Therefore we have two more first team players than last season by my reckoning...better players as well.....so our squad is stronger overall.

You could make the case for buying two more defenders but I don't think that is essential unless Kaboul has a longer term issue.

I'm feeling very positive as thinks stand.

Just to add, we still have Bennie AE. Love him or hate him, he has the ability to come in and surprise. He is a Spurs man through and through and will fight for the LB position tooth and nail, and may well get rotated with Danny dependent on the opposition. He seems more agile than Rose, I think, and his long ball passing across the park has, in the past, been mighty fine. Also the rumours of AVB not liking him are overplayed.... He just went out of form, which is not good enough, hence the bench. He's still good enough against average opposition such as ARSEnal and Citeh.

Thoughts?

We have bought 3 international players and loss Dempsey who wasn't in our first eleven ( who didn't play in midfield and scored 7 goals in the league), and you question have we strengthened biggrin.png

^ what you mean the two average sides that have finished above your sad excuse of a side in the league for god knows how many seasons. Posted Image

you Muppet ! Posted Image

tell me spuds where did you find this one ? Posted Image

I am talking about the two average sides that will finish below Tottenham this season. Thought that was obvious? I can see you are a non believer..... Wait until May. As for the muppets..... You must be the drummer, or perhaps Miss Piggy?

^ what you mean the two average sides that have finished above your sad excuse of a side in the league for god knows how many seasons. whistling.gif

you Muppet ! rolleyes.gif

tell me spuds where did you find this one ? wink.png

I am talking about the two average sides that will finish below Tottenham this season. Thought that was obvious? I can see you are a non believer..... Wait until May. As for the muppets..... You must be the drummer, or perhaps Miss Piggy?

keep dreaming Gonzo.

just ask Smokie how it feels year after year, i'm sure he'd like to share. won't you Smokes ? tongue.png

^ what you mean the two average sides that have finished above your sad excuse of a side in the league for god knows how many seasons. whistling.gif

you Muppet ! rolleyes.gif

tell me spuds where did you find this one ? wink.png

keep dreaming Gonzo.

just ask Smokie how it feels year after year, i'm sure he'd like to share. won't you Smokes ? tongue.png

I like playing Milan. biggrin.png

• Like 1

You are joking rij?

If we had bought and sold no one but Soldado we would all be happy enough in May.

As it stands I'm absolutely delighted.

all Im sayin is that although Im pleased with our window activity and believe it has great/ potential by xmas we will be in a better position to see how quickly or if its capable of delivering .tbh soldado is pretty much bang on.but the others? , we will c .but as it stands we've sold 10/15 goals in dwmpsey and potential England/b caulker, both struggled last year year but maybe needed time, and given regular game time imo would certainly deliver. will they be missed ? hopefully not , but xmas if not b4 we'll have a clearer picture .

• Like 1

"Just to add, we still have Bennie AE. Love him or hate him, he has the ability to come in and surprise. He is a Spurs man through and through"

Yeah right laugh.png

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/may/01/benoit-assou-ekotto-tottenham-hotspur

Nice one Upyours ..... 1 May 2010 in the Guardian..... You are a little out of date me old sunshine

Edited by iancnx

"Just to add, we still have Bennie AE. Love him or hate him, he has the ability to come in and surprise. He is a Spurs man through and through"

Yeah right laugh.png

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/may/01/benoit-assou-ekotto-tottenham-hotspur

Nice one Upyours ..... 1 May 2010 in the Guardian..... You are a little out of day me old sunshine

I think any genuine Spurs fan knew BAE stance on football and would never have said he's 'Spurs through and through'.laugh.pngNot out of date at all....recalled reading it when I read your post, so able to bring it up.....I read a lot of Spurs news.