Tottenham Thread

chonabot

On 28/09/2016 at 10:14 AM, Chicog said:

Yeah seen that too. It was OK, albeit nicked from the UK.

you had to give it a few episodes  but thought fleabag was excellent and 'Gomorrah' was up there with the best of it's genre ie the wire  narcos ect ect 

"What team would you have sent out BB?"

Smokie, before the game I posted "Manchester City: Bravo, Zabaleta, Otamendi, Stones, Kolarov, Fernando, Fernandinho, Silva, Sterling, Navas, Aguero.Subs: Caballero, Sagna, Clichy, Gundogan, Sane, Iheanacho, A. Garcia.A more cautious team than we've seen before from Pep with Fernando in and Navas in for workrate. Interesting that he's stuck with Zaba who played Wednesday."

I think pre-game I wasn't happy with Fernando in for Gundogan which I saw as cautious and robbed us as creativity.The beauty of hindsight.

So Smokie, was that a typical performance or did the players up their game? 

Edited by Bredbury Blue

12 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Haven't seen much of Spurs on tv this season so was that a typical performance or did the players up their game?

For us it was the worse 45 this season, Pep got his starting 11 badly wrong (bloody navas and Fernando), Kolorov proved this week what City fans have long known, Sterling had his 2nd poor game of the season but I think most of all Silva had no co-creator until Gundogan came on (who inpressed me for the 1st time but still doesn't look fit) and then we started looking like a team again. Poor performance until the last 10 when Loris did well to keep aguero and iheanacho out.

It was our best performance of the season.  The difference was getting our intensity back, and right from the off.  Prior we'd been starting games rather sluggishly.  

Most interestingly for me was fielding a side with our top striker and Dembele who is without doubt our most influential player.  He's the one that balances the side and makes us tick.

I don't see that game as a particularly bad marker for Pep although he'll rightly have concerns about the defending but then again, when a high press is executed so well its supposed to bully a defense and knock them out of their stride.  Pooch's tactics were to get at you from the off and not let City settle into their stride.  

Its going to be very interesting to see how your manager deals with this because other sides may well try the same tactics although i doubt most are fit enough and well enough drilled to carry out such a game plan.  It took Poch two years to get us where he wants us to be.  Your side is a work in progress with a new manager, a point he has stressed on more than the odd occasion.  City will be title contenders without a doubt and that game might just do more good than bad this season because a good manager such as Guardians will have identified key areas for revue.  The back four in particular and Fernando that looks out of his depth throughout.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"What team would you have sent out BB?"

Smokie, before the game I posted "Manchester City: Bravo, Zabaleta, Otamendi, Stones, Kolarov, Fernando, Fernandinho, Silva, Sterling, Navas, Aguero.Subs: Caballero, Sagna, Clichy, Gundogan, Sane, Iheanacho, A. Garcia.A more cautious team than we've seen before from Pep with Fernando in and Navas in for workrate. Interesting that he's stuck with Zaba who played Wednesday."

I think pre-game I wasn't happy with Fernando in for Gundogan which I saw as cautious and robbed us as creativity.The beauty of hindsight.

So Smokie, was that a typical performance or did the players up their game? 

Well I will admit to grinning when I saw Navas name on the starting line up.

We have a number of players who have been improving week on week like Delle Alli who is now hitting top form....Wanyama had a superb game of course and Son moving into the middle is a revelation.

I think our game was not any different to what we usually do but perhaps with more intensity than usual which you would expect against a top side.

Other than that nothing different....I suspect Son is going to be very tough to shift from that position if he continues in the same manner over the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, smokie36 said:

We have a number of players who have been improving week on week like Delle Alli who is now hitting top form....Wanyama had a superb game of course and Son moving into the middle is a revelation.

I suspect Son is going to be very tough to shift from that position if he continues in the same manner over the next few weeks.

I think we should continue to play with that 4-1-4-1 formation we used on Sunday,

especially when playing at home against the lower teams.

It will free up an extra place for an attacking midfielder instead of playing with two 

defensive midfielders which is a bit overkill in some games.

We should play one of either Dier or Wanyama as DM but not both together unless we 

are defending a lead in the later stages of a match.

Carmine, good post.

"It was our best performance of the season...". It was our worst 45 of the season (ManU being the best 45), probably down to spurs and City in equal measure.

"I don't see that game as a particularly bad marker for Pep...". Of course not, have you seen his game lost record, very impressive. I think he will have had confirmed for him all that City fans have known for ages..4 fullbacks need replacing or at least 2 of them, Fernando is only good for closing games down, Navas is a pretender...Never good to lose but Pep seems a smart manager so we're hoping he'll have learnt from that (no more Kolorov at centre back, etc).

"Its going to be very interesting to see how your manager deals with this because other sides may well try the same tactics...". My understanding is that Peps teams pretty much play the same successfully so it's not his system that's a concern but the players in it. Some are not good enough, comfortable enough, so will be replaced in time. But I think Pep in his career hasn't come unstuck too often by high intensity pressing teams, you need talented players to beat it, with Silva..KdB ..Gundogan could have been different, but Silva on his own for 60 minutes and we don't have a physical presence upfront meant we couldn't play around spurs and we couldn't kick it long. Hence my comments on wrong starting 11.

I reckon that performance, being unbeaten still and your almost 2nd placing last season must make Spurs favourites (give over with your top 4).

Tottenham Hotspurs Quiz

1. Spurs legends Chris Waddle and Glen Hoddle assualted the charts in the 1980s. What was their hit single?

18 with a Mullet

We are the Champions

Netbusters

Diamond Lights

2. Which former Stoke City striker starred for Spurs in the early 1980s and in the early 2000s had been seen presenting the BBCs coverage of the African Cup of Nations?

Tony Galvin

Clive Allen

Garth Crooks

Steve Archibald

3. A famous comment: 'Paul Miller will always have a place in my team'. Who said this?

Ossie Ardiles

Keith Burkinshaw

Peter Shreeves

David Pleat

4. Who was 'the Rocket'?

Roy Race

Ronny Rosenthal

Richard Gough

Vinnie Samways

5. Which ex-Blackpool player delivered Gazza's FA Cup Winners medal to him in hospital?

Vinnie Samways

Stanley Matthews

Paul Allen

Paul Stewart

6. Which future Spurs player scored against the club in an FA Cup Final?

Paul Stewart

Pat Van Den Hauwe

Terry Fenwick

Gary Lineker

7. Which two international strikers of the 90s left the club only to return in our hour of need?

Allen and Lineker

Sheringham and Klinsman

Waddle and Rosenthal

Claesen and Campbell

8. Which Argentinian World Cup hero made a place for himself in FA Cup legend with a brace in the final against Man City in 81?

Ricardo Villa

Alberto Tarantini

Ossie Ardiles

Mirandinha

9. Which Swiss manager nearly took Spurs down in the 90s and vies for the title of worst Spurs manager with Francis, Ardiles and Graham?

Chris Lard

Xerxes Blubber

Chrissie Bald

Christian Gross

10. Which Spurs defender joined fierce rivals Arsenal in 2001 to the dismay of the club's supporters?

Ben Thatcher

Goran Bunjecevic

Chris Perry

Sol Campbell

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Not seen this before. A mate said it was done by Spurs fans. Any of you guys confirm?

That rings a bell but never heard or seen anything to confirm.

Certainly too loud to be Gooners.

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

Great video (compared to any other football singing on vid I've seen). Clearly a bunch of Landunners. Palace fans are the most creative wot I've heard on telly* so could be them!

*I defer to anyone who has been live to all the major London venues. Palace didn't used to be like that when I watched a few games at Selhurst Park while living in Bromley a couple of decades ago.

Edit: Google references mention (only) Spurs fans on the first page of a search. Done by Puma in four countries as an advertising gimmick in 2010 apparently

Edited by SantiSuk

The potentially serious injury to Alderweirald makes the dropped points fade into a degree of insignificance.  Fingers crossed its not too bad.

The new 4141 formation that were trying at the moment needs fine tuning but in time it will help us open up sides that just sit back on us.  Key figure in this will be Moussa Dembele who is at last playing again.

Disappointed but at the end of the day we can only blame ourselves.

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

After the City game I was reading reports (not on here) that "we'll probably stuff it up against WBA". Is it a case of upping the game against the challengers but can't get it up against the lesser teams?

No its a case of a team getting battered but their keeper having a blinder.  Its happened before and it'll happen again.

• Like 1

^Thank you Chicog that was exactly the point I was trying to make. I read an article, by a journalist or spurs fan I forget, in which he stated that spurs raise their game for the bigger teams but take their eye of the ball for the lesser teams and having beaten City they'd probably cock it up against WBA. Guess he was right.