Access blocked between View Talay Villas and Jomtien Soi 5

davidhen

I am holidaying in V.T.Villas, Jomtien, with my wife, who is a wheelchair-user. Until yesterday we were able to cross the main road from V.T.Villas to Soi 5 via a gap in the central meridian strip.

Someone has now blocked this access gap with several large concrete blocks, forcing me to haul my wheelchair-bound wife up and onto the high meridian strip, and then down the other side.

Aside from the effort required by me (and the discomfort to my wife), without the gap, there is no quick and easy safe haven from the traffic. Anyone who has crossed this road, even as an able-bodied person, will know that it is quite a dangerous exercise.

I have also witnessed several electric chair/scooter-users in this area. It will now be impossible for them to cross the road at this point and they will need to make a rather long detour to cross the road by the Hanuman statue. Crossing the road there is also akin to a game of Russian roulette!

The government has recently given Bangkok Mass Transit Authority one year to install elevators at each of its stations on the Sky-train route. This shows that they are trying to make it easier for disabled people, and they are to be applauded for their actions.

What a pity that someone in Jomtien local authority doesn't share their empathy.

David.

• Like 1

Hi. I understand the problem for wheelchairs & scooters, but I may understand why they closed it: it was very dangerous! Numerous of motorbikes riding South on the fast line who brake suddenly very strongly to take this small gap and enter in Soi 5.

I already saw cars having to make a desperate avoidance manoeuvre to avoid them, very dangerous for cars or bike on the middle line. sad.png

Not sure what can be done to let you go through but forbid motorbikes ?

• Like 2

If a gap is wide enough for a wheelchair you can guarantee that some t*t on a motorbike will try and ride through it rather than drive a few yards further and use a proper place. In the same way car drivers always double-park even when there is an empty parking space just a couple of yards down the road: they just wont make any effort at all.

Very dangerous that crossing. Was only there for about a year. Stupid women on motorcycles plus the standard dumb thai pick up drivers started to use it and blocked the road. That whole road is used as a freeway by buses and i have seen a lot of deaths on it. Unfortunatly thailand dosent cater for the disabled and you might have to walk upto the intersection with the lights which is only a few minutes. Dont risk it anywhere else because i can just see a thai moron slamming into you.

Very dangerous that crossing. Was only there for about a year.

Stupid women on motorcycles plus the standard dumb thai pick up drivers started to use it and blocked the road.

pick-up ???

The gab to cross was less than 1 meter wide... (or as said above "wide enough for a wheelchair")