Yamaha YZF-R3 Launch

Ozgur

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did spy an ABS system in there, so there's that too!

Yes while the photo in post 14 did not have ABS the bikes they brought to Buri did have abs

Interesting that the low res picture apparently has a sticker in the exact same place as the ABS version has their ABS sticker.

I did spy an ABS system in there, so there's that too!

Yes while the photo in post 14 did not have ABS the bikes they brought to Buri did have abs

Interesting that the low res picture apparently has a sticker in the exact same place as the ABS version has their ABS sticker.

The bikes on display had a sticker on the Swingarm: "Sample Internal use only" so it's not sure an ABS version will be sold in Thailand.

post-143096-0-19365200-1423387581_thumb.

The bikes on display had a sticker on the Swingarm: "Sample Internal use only" so it's not sure an ABS version will be sold in Thailand.

Yeah I was going to mention that these bikes came with them & were the same ones used at the Sepang showing of the R3 last week.

So it is uncertain what will actually be available where till release time.

post-82547-0-32921400-1423387920_thumb.j

Edited by mania

According to that there will be ABS in Thailand, Yamaha even say it will on there promotions video.

Does Yamaha Thailand have a Promo video Mac?

I have only seen this one from a week or so ago.

Just looks like a un-crating though

That R3 frame looks very strong with that cross bracing under the seat.

It would have been cooler if it had radial brake calipers, but then it might cannibalize R6 sales.

This bike does seem to be shaping up as pretty awesome.

I look forward to seeing the naked version

http://www.bikewale.com/news/16496-yamaha-mt25-naked-motorcycle-under-development.html

It was on youtube. It looked legit either way the picture I posted above says it will have ABS

Thanks & yeah i was not interested in the abs part but like to see the Thai unveiling/promo videos

Will have another look on Youtube

Edited by mania

Ordered mine today.

Not sure which colour to go for though, blue or black? Blue stands out a bit more but black is timeless.

attachicon.gif1622810_10202570603306261_3604008967393114390_n.jpg

attachicon.gif10983409_10202570597546117_4655032149954827042_n.jpg

What do you guys think?

Much like you have to have a red Honda, green Kawasaki, and yellow Suzuki....get the blue one!

And it should go without saying...keep us appraised.

Ordered mine today.

Not sure which colour to go for though, blue or black? Blue stands out a bit more but black is timeless.

What do you guys think?

Which color or did you order 2 as on the pictures? biggrin.png

OK, you edited your post right when I clicked on reply so my post looks silly now.

Yamaha is Blue, Kawa is green and Honda is Red.

When I ordered my Ninja 300, I thought of getting it in some off-green color but in the end decided against it and don't regret it now, all those other colors became boring after a while and the classic green still looks hot.

And you're right, Black will always look good so you have a serious dilemma here!

Ordered mine today.

What do you guys think?

congrats macknife! wish you safe and happy rides.

r3 is a great bike in its segment. but i personally believe a higher cc bike after ninja 250 should fit you better though, hope you dont grow on the bike fast as performance difference between your ninja 250 and r3 is only 25 percent or if we put possible better components of r3 into the equation, lets say 30 percent.

regarding the color, normally blue is yamaha's color along with suzuki and it is their racing blue which manifests their racing credentials and looks good.

but black looks the best on r3 somehow. normally black hides the curves of a sportbike and i am not a fan of black sportbikes but on r3, it looks great somehow.

never forget though, people notice you less on the roads on a black bike for sure, no good for awareness.

Edited by ll2

Although blue is known for Yamaha, I look forward to a yellow version in the future.

Being seen in traffic with style.

Haha, these are scale model pics but you get the idea.

yamaha-yzr500-kenny-roberts-1979-diecast

yamaha-yzr-m1-valentino-rossi-110_big137

Edited by ttakata

Ordered mine today.

What do you guys think?

congrats macknife! wish you safe and happy rides.

r3 is a great bike in its segment. but i personally believe a higher cc bike after ninja 250 should fit you better though, hope you dont grow on the bike fast as performance difference between your ninja 250 and r3 is only 25 percent or if we put possible better components of r3 into the equation, lets say 30 percent.

regarding the color, normally blue is yamaha's color along with suzuki and it is their racing blue which manifests their racing credentials and looks good.

but black looks the best on r3 somehow. normally black hides the curves of a sportbike and i am not a fan of black sportbikes but on r3, it looks great somehow.

never forget though, people notice you less on the roads on a black bike for sure, no good for awareness.

Maybe Dave can do the math for us but I'm sure it's more than 40% faster, no small amount and I'm sure I'll notice the difference. Yes I could get something with more power but there is not much about in Thailand, I can only think of the CBR650 and I'm not prepared to spend that amount of money on a bike.

Yes the blue is Yamaha and it is very nice (and probably looks better) but so is the black. I feel the blue will look dated when next years model comes out but black is kinda timeless and this model doesn't really have much decal so could easily be changed. The minor but irritating other thing is my new helmet is black red and green which would match a black bike(with red decals) whereas it doesn't match the blue at all.

I don't believe the colour matters for safety in this case. Black bikes stand out more during the daytime because of the severe contrast in colour to the surroundings. At night we have lights and when it's very dark it's very hard to tell the colour of any vehicle as they all look dark.(humans can't see colours in the dark.)

Maybe Dave can do the math for us but I'm sure it's more than 40% faster, no small amount and I'm sure I'll notice the difference. Yes I could get something with more power but there is not much about in Thailand, I can only think of the CBR650 and I'm not prepared to spend that amount of money on a bike.

Yes the blue is Yamaha and it is very nice (and probably looks better) but so is the black. I feel the blue will look dated when next years model comes out but black is kinda timeless and this model doesn't really have much decal so could easily be changed. The minor but irritating other thing is my new helmet is black red and green which would match a black bike(with red decals) whereas it doesn't match the blue at all.

I don't believe the colour matters for safety in this case. Black bikes stand out more during the daytime because of the severe contrast in colour to the surroundings. At night we have lights and when it's very dark it's very hard to tell the colour of any vehicle as they all look dark.(humans can't see colours in the dark.)

I'll do the maths up..but I got to say I can't believe you're going to purchase a bike as an accessory to the colours of your helmet.

There's just something....not manly about that.

And before richard threatens to sue me...I did not say it was gay. Maybe implied it, but didn't say it.

I'll do the maths up..but I got to say I can't believe you're going to purchase a bike as an accessory to the colours of your helmet.

There's just something....not manly about that.

And before richard threatens to sue me...I did not say it was gay. Maybe implied it, but didn't say it.

I know haha I did say it's a minor thing, my helmet colour won't be a deciding factor.

Can you not use this one of the R3?

attachicon.gif001-128.png

43hp - 30hp? of the Ninja 250 = 43.33% ?

or dyno 38hp - 25hp? Ninja = 52% ?

I'd be able to straighten it out and overlay a grid, but it's too low resolution for me to do anything meaningful with it. Perhaps the OP can send me a non-compressed version where I can make out the scale on the left?

I've got the Ninja one covered; plenty of clear dynos out there for it. Do we want the Ninja 250 & the 300?

Can you not use this one of the R3?

attachicon.gif001-128.png

43hp - 30hp? of the Ninja 250 = 43.33% ?

or dyno 38hp - 25hp? Ninja = 52% ?

I'd be able to straighten it out and overlay a grid, but it's too low resolution for me to do anything meaningful with it. Perhaps the OP can send me a non-compressed version where I can make out the scale on the left?

I've got the Ninja one covered; plenty of clear dynos out there for it. Do we want the Ninja 250 & the 300?

I don't think you need to go to town mate. Just thinking ll2's figure of 30% more power was a bit low compared to my thinking of more than 40% difference; a percentage figure of how much more power the R3 has over the Ninja 250 would be fine for me.

@mania: Thanks mate.

@Ozgur: Yes they have red too, but I wouldn't even consider that.

I don't think you need to go to town mate. Just thinking ll2's figure of 30% more power was a bit low compared to my thinking of more than 40% difference; a percentage figure of how much more power the R3 has over the Ninja 250 would be fine for me.

@mania: Thanks mate.

@Ozgur: Yes they have red too, but I wouldn't even consider that.

It's not a big thing. As soon as I can find a decent dyno I can get the numbers in.

I've already discovered that the R3 has 5.5-13% taller gearing than the Ninja. If you are looking at pure increase of the R3 over your Ninja 250; than the R3 has approximately 146% the power.

For a super rough idea of what you are looking for going with an R3 over your Ninja 250, I simply added it into my spreadsheet (which I had never updated for the CBR 300 and Ninja 300) and told it to add +45% to the HP that the Ninja 250 has for each 200 RPM. It then took that and multiplied it by the gearing. Basic stuff, but at each speed at least it shows the relative power the bikes have. ROUGHLY due to not having a good picture of the R3's dyno. Note that the dips are when you shift up; obviously the drop in engine speed plus the taller gearing means less available power.

post-27441-0-57762700-1423509507_thumb.j

Macknife, you made a great choice.

Sure it's fun to have bigbike power but a lighter bike is more fun when the road gets really twisty, and taking turns leaning is what makes bikes funner than cars.

You can get red reflective stickers to cover the green on your helmet and get reflective stripes on your wheels for better visibility.

There is also black reflective tape for the stealth look.