Patong is dead.

hansgruber

It's been a while since I posted regarding nights out in Bangla, and Patong in general, so here goes with another missive……….

<snip>

Generally speaking, whereas at one time, meandering my way home between 1.30 and 2 a.m. in the morning, Bangla would still be fairly busy, now it is nowhere near what it used to be, but as I said there seems to be a little pickup in the traffic/business, so maybe this there is some hope that this forthcoming" high season" won't be as bad as many people are anticipating (me included).

Thanks for the update "X"; always enjoy your observations.

Over the past week I've noticed a definite uptick in the number of tourists on the beaches, and the one night last weekend I was on Bangla it seemed to be fairly busy (although I agree not so much as past years). I'm surprised to see as many Russians as there appears to be (but maybe many are from other Eastern European countries - the Slavic languages all sound the same to my untrained ear).

Mrs. Dave and I will be hitting Bangla tonight, hoping to catch some Halloween craziness, although IIRC, last year was fairly tame so not expecting much.

Thank you for that positive feedback DrDave, and maybe we will bump into one another in the not too distant future, however tonight is definitely a night in front of the TV to watch the RWC and am hoping for an All Blacks win, although the Aussies will be tough.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question of recent times for Phuket still remains, if "numbers are up" is the baht revenue up, accordingly?

The Chinese and Russians do very for small businesses in the tourism industry here.

There's no point having a busy establishment, if the customers are not spending. Eg. they are sitting on one coke / beer for 2 hours, whilst listening to the music and watching the girls dance.

The place may look busy, but it's still losing money.

Halloween night was fairly busy on Bangla, but not as much as prior years. After meeting a friend in one of the smaller bars fronting Bangla, we spent the rest of the evening at Tao.

I hadn't been in Tao for well over a month, and I see that they've re-configured the layout to be consistent with what several TV members had suggested. The bar at the front has been completely removed, reduced in size by about a half and relocated to the rear near the restrooms. The stage and band have been moved up to the front along the left-hand wall so that they're plainly visible from the street. Unlike NY Live, Monsoon and Red Hot (which all have live bands) the tables aren't crowded together.

The Filipino band at Tao was excellent. Lots of energy and a very diverse set list. The guitar and bass players jumped off the stage and ran out into the street​ while playing a couple of times to try to drum up some customers. Mrs. Dave thinks that the two girls fronting the band are the same two that fronted the band at Monsoon a while back, but I couldn't really tell since they were wearing a lot of Halloween makeup. We arrived sometime between 10:00 and 10:30, and only a few tables were occupied. At 11:00, though, the place was packed. One thing we noticed was that both at Tao and the little bar on Bangla, a lot customers seemed to come and go without spending too much time in one place. They could be at capacity, and then a few minutes later - suddenly half full.

Tao continues to have a promotion on Singha Light for 79 baht all night, and most local beers are well-priced for a venue with a live band at 100 baht. At times it seemed like they didn't have enough service staff inside, as most were outside trying to draw customers in. There was a guy who appeared to be a manager doing a good job of watching over the customers and waiting tables himself when no staff was immediately available. It seems that they're doing everything correctly - good band, reconfigured layout, good service, clean restrooms, and good pricing - but may be having some difficulty gaining traction. I hope business improves for them because it really is a nice venue.

On the way home around 1:00, we passed by NY Live and it was absolutely packed. We wanted to stop in for one quick beer, but there was no place to sit so we just went home.

Speaking to NKM's post above concerning profitability, I've noticed that the popular bars mentioned above (NY Live, Red Hot and Monsoon), seem to be selling more beers per seat/hour than the smaller bars and Tao. So contrary to what I'd expect, the venues with the highest prices seem to be doing more volume per seat that those with lower prices.

Halloween night was fairly busy on Bangla, but not as much as prior years. After meeting a friend in one of the smaller bars fronting Bangla, we spent the rest of the evening at Tao.

I hadn't been in Tao for well over a month, and I see that they've re-configured the layout to be consistent with what several TV members had suggested. The bar at the front has been completely removed, reduced in size by about a half and relocated to the rear near the restrooms. The stage and band have been moved up to the front along the left-hand wall so that they're plainly visible from the street. Unlike NY Live, Monsoon and Red Hot (which all have live bands) the tables aren't crowded together.

The Filipino band at Tao was excellent. Lots of energy and a very diverse set list. The guitar and bass players jumped off the stage and ran out into the street​ while playing a couple of times to try to drum up some customers. Mrs. Dave thinks that the two girls fronting the band are the same two that fronted the band at Monsoon a while back, but I couldn't really tell since they were wearing a lot of Halloween makeup. We arrived sometime between 10:00 and 10:30, and only a few tables were occupied. At 11:00, though, the place was packed. One thing we noticed was that both at Tao and the little bar on Bangla, a lot customers seemed to come and go without spending too much time in one place. They could be at capacity, and then a few minutes later - suddenly half full.

Tao continues to have a promotion on Singha Light for 79 baht all night, and most local beers are well-priced for a venue with a live band at 100 baht. At times it seemed like they didn't have enough service staff inside, as most were outside trying to draw customers in. There was a guy who appeared to be a manager doing a good job of watching over the customers and waiting tables himself when no staff was immediately available. It seems that they're doing everything correctly - good band, reconfigured layout, good service, clean restrooms, and good pricing - but may be having some difficulty gaining traction. I hope business improves for them because it really is a nice venue.

On the way home around 1:00, we passed by NY Live and it was absolutely packed. We wanted to stop in for one quick beer, but there was no place to sit so we just went home.

Speaking to NKM's post above concerning profitability, I've noticed that the popular bars mentioned above (NY Live, Red Hot and Monsoon), seem to be selling more beers per seat/hour than the smaller bars and Tao. So contrary to what I'd expect, the venues with the highest prices seem to be doing more volume per seat that those with lower prices.

"the venues with the highest prices seem to be doing more volume per seat that those with lower prices" - possibly, but they also would have higher expenses to cover, each month.

These establishments would need to be busy, from open, till close, everynight, to meet their capital outlay, then their operational expenses, and to then make some profit.

Not easy filling an establishment everynight, with thirsty customers, on Phuket now.

Quote NamKangMan: "Not easy filling an establishment every night, with thirsty customers, on Phuket now".

Have to agree with that, although I have seen a few more customers around in the bars than in previous months however it is not universal, patchy at best.

On Tuesday last, Smiley Bar was full by 10:30 p.m. and about 60% full for an hour or so prior to that time. The usual Monsoon and New York bars were pumping however I'm not sure how much booze is actually sold in these places?

The bars in Soi Freedom seemed to be doing better business than of late, however it wasn't actually "humming" although Island Bar at the far end was busy enough celebrating its second anniversary, and also the renting of the empty bar next to it in anticipation of more customers, which was the case that night.

With a couple of friends, I called in on a new/refurbished go-go bar in Soi Sea Dragon, called Harem as it was the latest "addition" to the others owned by Suzie Wong's owner, as I was expecting something different. The end result...............I was totally disappointed because it was just more of the same and anyway I have never been one for spending much time in the go-go bars, although I will take newcomers to one because they specifically want to see it.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I didn't even finish my beer when I left because the place had nothing different about it, just a few girls dancing on stage (wishing they were somewhere else) with the obligatory tattoos, plastic puppies, stretch-marks and attitude that basically said, because I have said hello to you, you have to buy me a drink.

Oh, and I forgot to mention it was empty when we went in at about 10:45 p.m. and also when I left less than 10 min later.

Surely it wouldn't take a lot of imagination to open up a place which had a theme to it...........?

Following on from what has been said many times in these posts in as much as there may be quite a few people milling around, mainly Chinese, for example, but they are not spending any money and establishments are struggling...........well the turnover at Big C is down more than 20% on the same period last year. So if that is reflected on other businesses in Patong, times are going to be very tough unless a miracle occurs in the coming months.

Does anyone know what is happening at the former Club Crocodile site? Miss all the rauchy ladyboys.

At the moment nothing, was due to reopen mid Nov but as anyone can see not even started rebuilding after knocking it down.

Rumor is he cannot sell enough enough bars, due to prices that would be crazy even in the best days (which has not been for a good while) and unless he does sell some more will probably not be able to complete.

Basically Soi Gonzo all over again

Does anyone know what is happening at the former Club Crocodile site? Miss all the rauchy ladyboys.

At the moment nothing, was due to reopen mid Nov but as anyone can see not even started rebuilding after knocking it down.

Rumor is he cannot sell enough enough bars, due to prices that would be crazy even in the best days (which has not been for a good while) and unless he does sell some more will probably not be able to complete.

Ha, well my visitors will have make do with the sanitised version at the Simon Cabaret. Its such a pity, Club Crocodile ladyboys have no competition along Bangla Road.

Agree..........still a rubble strewn waste-land.

Don't know what he was asking for the bars, but the "good old days" as regards bar ownership, and then only the best run ones, have long gone. The up front key money was a joke and still is, and the owners have not come to terms with "the changing times".

Agree..........still a rubble strewn waste-land.

Don't know what he was asking for the bars, but the "good old days" as regards bar ownership, and then only the best run ones, have long gone. The up front key money was a joke and still is, and the owners have not come to terms with "the changing times".

Anyone paying "key money" now is crazy.

Landlords will be lucky to get month to month tenants these days.

Surely it wouldn't take a lot of imagination to open up a place which had a theme to it...........?

just a few girls dancing on stage (wishing they were somewhere else) with the obligatory tattoos, plastic puppies, stretch-marks and attitude that basically said, because I have said hello to you, you have to buy me a drink.

voila.. Nailed it..

Ha, well my visitors will have make do with the sanitised version at the Simon Cabaret. Its such a pity, Club Crocodile ladyboys have no competition along Bangla Road.

There's always the cabaret at Cocktails & Dreams, next to the original Tiger Plaza (on the RH side of Bangla if you're heading towards the beach). Free entry with slightly higher drinks prices to compensate. Very friendly place though the owner does tend to get (justifiably) ratty at anyone watching the show without drinking.

Have been out a few times over the last couple of weeks, a little more than usual, mainly because a friend is visiting from Australia and it was good to get his perspective on things in relation to the amount of people in Patong.

As I have alluded to in other posts, there seemed to be a few more people around from week to week of late, however having lived here for so long I have probably lost some perspective in that regard and my friend's comment was that it was much quieter now than it was exactly a year ago when he visited.

Having said that, it didn't stop me from getting caught up in two minor traffic jams on Rat-U-Thid Road at around 4:30 p.m. on two separate days, mainly caused by "traffic" at the junction with Bangla Road and the back of Jungceylon due to taxis and tuk tuks wanting to park anywhere and mostly double park with no regard for anyone else using the road (as per usual).

Ate out at Higher the other evening and just as it was before, it was very good, and this time I took my own bottle of wine along and tried to get a little discount on the corkage of 500 baht, but to no avail. Anyway I was not going to be put off because this was an extremely fine wine, 10 years old and rated 92 by Robert Parker and I have to say I enjoyed it immensely with the good food.

In summary of the last three ventures out, the usual places have been pretty well packed with the younger set; new Tiger had more girls in it than customers, as has been the case for some time; new/resurrected Tiger looked to be struggling with customers, or should I say the lack of and the "ping-pong" touts were out in force, as were the touts trying to usher customers into the go-go bars in Soi Sea Dragon.

Soi Freedom was busy, not busy busy but busier than of late and maybe this was due to the fact that several bars were putting on parties to welcome the soccer tournament attendees/players with loads of girls dressed in all sorts of provocative outfits, a little free food and lots of balloons!

As I think I mentioned in another post, the double bar at the far end of the Soi on the left-hand side, has closed as a going concern, however the Soi owner has opened it up again because without it the place looks a little devoid of light and life.

The most popular bar at that end of the Soi, Island Bar seems to be doing good business and long may it continue because the owner is a very nice guy as is his Thai girlfriend and the bar staff and girls in the bar are not in the habit of pestering you for drinks, so it is a very pleasant and hassle free experience, and of course it is very close to the live band which gives it some atmosphere, this more so when people decide to get up and dance, which has happened quite frequently of late.

It seems to be a magnet for all sorts of people, obviously many Australians, however I have met folks from South Africa, New Zealand, Germany, Canada, Panama, Costa Rica and the USA, to mention just a few – – I would like to add that the two youngish guys from the USA were extremely polite and gentlemanly (they wouldn't say it outright, but I believe they were in the Armed Forces) and that mirrors the experience I have had with other guys from the USA (Armed Forces) when I have spoken to them in Patong. Oh that others could be as well mannered as these guys, as they are a credit to their country.

Just to round off with a few things regarding Patong in general.......... the little roller blind shops at the end of the Soi Nanai 6 have a new addition: next to the chemist which opened and did no business and then closed, and then re-opened again and did no business and has now closed, there is a woman's clothes shop which is almost hidden away, has no passing foot traffic and is nowhere near where Thai girls seem to lodge, so I can't see a good future for that.

The little bar next to it seems to have a regular coterie of three or four farangs as well as the permanently drunk Thai woman part owner (I think) so I wouldn't imagine it is making money, especially if the permanently drunk woman is using the bar to fund her drinking habit as well as those of her friends.

The Italian restaurant mentioned several times previously is still doing the same sort of business it always did – – just about none.

Club Coconut, just off Nanai has a little notice pinned on the main signboard saying, "Hotel for lease", so don't know if it is that actual hotel or one nearby. Just a few metres into that little Soi is a Thai restaurant which closed through lack of business and then was reopened again by more hopeful Thai people, only to be struggling again, and yet again, just a few metres past that is a hairdressing salon which has been opened by a lady who was dancing in quite a few bars for many years, and that is now barely frequented and she is struggling for money.

And life goes on here with many small businesses still struggling...........yet there are always seems to be folk who are willing to open up new ventures where others have failed, only to see that cycle repeated and this includes both Thais and farangs. Maybe those sort of people were made for each other!

... and tried to get a little discount on the corkage of 500 baht

Corkage? I thought that scam died out in my youth.

Needs a thread in Farang Pub to discuss this further coffee1.gif

I wish it had, but it still seems commonplace in the last three countries in which I have lived unless the restaurant states it is "BYO" (bring your own) and allows it, or to choose from their wine list.

Having said that I do know of and visit four restaurants here which allow you to take your own wine, so all is not lost!!!

In what way is corkage a scam?

What added-value is the restaurant providing for 500 baht?

Ummmm...allowing you to open a bottle of wine that would normally be marked up by 1000thb for only 500thb?

Next time I go to a restaurant I'm going to take my own food and drink, just use their toilets and stuff.

No wonder patong is dying

In what way is corkage a scam?

What added-value is the restaurant providing for 500 baht?

Restaurant provides service & glassses, plus drinks are a large part of the restaurant's profit base.

I don't consider corkage a scam, but 500 baht seems quite high.

Edited by LivinginKata

Corkage that high means they don't want byo. Very few people would still proceed with their own drinks at that price.

Restaurants make good profits from supplying cheap wine at premium prices and many don't care if customers want their own special brews with their meal.

I would have tried another restaurant.

Edited by Old Croc

Quote NamKangMan: "Not easy filling an establishment every night, with thirsty customers, on Phuket now".

Have to agree with that, although I have seen a few more customers around in the bars than in previous months however it is not universal, patchy at best.

On Tuesday last, Smiley Bar was full by 10:30 p.m. and about 60% full for an hour or so prior to that time. The usual Monsoon and New York bars were pumping however I'm not sure how much booze is actually sold in these places?

The bars in Soi Freedom seemed to be doing better business than of late, however it wasn't actually "humming" although Island Bar at the far end was busy enough celebrating its second anniversary, and also the renting of the empty bar next to it in anticipation of more customers, which was the case that night.

With a couple of friends, I called in on a new/refurbished go-go bar in Soi Sea Dragon, called Harem as it was the latest "addition" to the others owned by Suzie Wong's owner, as I was expecting something different. The end result...............I was totally disappointed because it was just more of the same and anyway I have never been one for spending much time in the go-go bars, although I will take newcomers to one because they specifically want to see it.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I didn't even finish my beer when I left because the place had nothing different about it, just a few girls dancing on stage (wishing they were somewhere else) with the obligatory tattoos, plastic puppies, stretch-marks and attitude that basically said, because I have said hello to you, you have to buy me a drink.

Oh, and I forgot to mention it was empty when we went in at about 10:45 p.m. and also when I left less than 10 min later.

Following on from what has been said many times in these posts in as much as there may be quite a few people milling around, mainly Chinese, for example, but they are not spending any money and establishments are struggling...........well the turnover at Big C is down more than 20% on the same period last year. So if that is reflected on other businesses in Patong, times are going to be very tough unless a miracle occurs in the coming months.

"well the turnover at Big C is down more than 20% on the same period last year. So if that is reflected on other businesses in Patong, times are going to be very tough" - I don't know your source for Big C's turnover decline, but it does not surprise me. Perhaps, if the decline continues, we can expact goods to rise by 20% at Big C, to compensate.

A large company like Big C can trade through tough times, but for the many small businesses on Phuket, particularly the ones that are holding out for "high season" to survive, I think many of these will fold in the next few months.

The Thai military will not deliver the "miracle" that is public transport, that Phuket now so desperately needs.

Edited by NamKangMan

The turnover at Big C has improved slightly on the same time last year, however as NKM has said, it will be the smaller establishments who are feeling the pinch.

Obviously not the case with the restaurant trade in Nanai Road because it must be booming, this as yet another Italian restaurant has opened up on the opposite side of the road and a little north of "I Love Spaghetti". Don't know that it will be able to match the prices of ILS and anyway, Nanai Road needs another Italian restaurant like a moose needs a hat rack.

In addition, the bar/cafe which was previously called Hummer which didn't seem to do any business at all, and closed, has now been opened up under a new name. This is on the other side of the road and just up from what used to be the "Beachhouse" bar and restaurant and the relatively recently opened Italian restaurant, both of which closed due to lack of business, so obviously the new owner of the business has a plan…………

With the increase in tourists comes an increase in stupidity as just a couple of days ago I witnessed a T-shirted, helmet-less farang on a scooter, zoom down the inside of a car in the new Middle Road and collide with a hapless Thai guy who was trying to manoeuvre his scooter out of the others parked alongside of the road.

The farang was probably doing around 70 to 80 kph and way too fast for the situation/conditions and how both of them were not seriously injured, I'll never know, however the farang was ripping into the Thai guy, when IMO had the farang been going at a reasonable speed for the conditions he could have easily avoided what is an everyday occurrence on that stretch of road.

The next four events happened on the same day and made me wonder what this place was coming to. I had to brake very sharply when a Chinese tourist decided to walk into the middle of the road without looking and luckily I was only doing about 40 kph so was able to stop just before I hit him, and the look he gave me made me wish I had had run into him.

Just 5 min later I was walking up the restaurant alley alongside of Jungceylon when a bunch of some 15 Chinese tourists came walking towards me, completely blocking the pathway that I was on, however I decided to keep my line and kept walking and they didn't move, so I came face-to-face with a small bunch of them almost touching noses before they said something in Chinese and moved aside, but not before I shook my head and tapped my temple, however I don't suppose they understood what the gesticulation meant.

I had walked just 50 m further on when three Chinese tourists came towards me blocking the narrower pathway, again meaning I had nowhere to go, only this time I just shifted slightly to one side and shoulder charged the woman nearest to me and she jumped back with a yelp.

And to top the afternoon off I went into Starbucks only to witness four Chinese tourists come and sit at the table in front of me, and one of them kicked off her shoes and put her feet on the table, yes the very table that civilised people eat from. So I went to her and said that was disgusting, and obviously one of the four spoke English and quickly told the girl to get her feet off the table and apologised.

This place is never going to become the "jewel of the Andaman" that was purported some years ago, especially with tourists of this quality.

yes, not easy to stay calm with so many idiots around...

Had the same problems today, well every day, chinese idiots...

And now, it's getting crowded with french arabs.... Playing around with their tmax scooters thinking they are in their street back home...

Soon, some will have problems.

<snip>

The next four events happened on the same day and made me wonder what this place was coming to. I had to brake very sharply when a Chinese tourist decided to walk into the middle of the road without looking and luckily I was only doing about 40 kph so was able to stop just before I hit him, and the look he gave me made me wish I had had run into him.

Just 5 min later I was walking up the restaurant alley alongside of Jungceylon when a bunch of some 15 Chinese tourists came walking towards me, completely blocking the pathway that I was on, however I decided to keep my line and kept walking and they didn't move, so I came face-to-face with a small bunch of them almost touching noses before they said something in Chinese and moved aside, but not before I shook my head and tapped my temple, however I don't suppose they understood what the gesticulation meant.

I had walked just 50 m further on when three Chinese tourists came towards me blocking the narrower pathway, again meaning I had nowhere to go, only this time I just shifted slightly to one side and shoulder charged the woman nearest to me and she jumped back with a yelp.

<snip>

Almost daily, I see some young Chinese guy on a motorbike driving on the wrong side of the road, with wife/girlfriend on the back taking a video selfie, oblivious to the fact that they're bound for a head-on collision.

The other scenario I see daily is a group of 3 or 4 Chinese (usually all girls) walking 3 or 4 abreast down Nanai or one of the sois, blocking any traffic behind them. They don't seem to understand that these are narrow, winding roads with hills, and it's very likely that a 6 wheel truck or cement mixer could round a blind curve and take them all out. Granted that Nanai doesn't have sidewalks (footpaths), but I've also seen this happen on Sai Kor, where they refuse to use the sidewalks. I have to admit that sometimes I brush them back a bit in hopes that they'll get the message before they get seriously hurt.

I've also had the same experience as you, X, walking along pathways. As a child, I was always taught to share the pathway with others, and especially give the right of way to elders. I've really grown tired of having to turn sideways and press my body against a building in order to let an oncoming group of people less than half my age continue past, taking up the entire width of the footpath. I've noticed this especially in Bangkok, and with mostly Arabs, but it's beginning to happen in Patong as well. My approach to this problem has now changed, however, in that when a group approaches taking up the entire path, I no longer turn sideways and press myself out of their way. When it appears they expect me to move out of their way, I merely stop in my tracks and look them in the eye just before a collision, which makes them break their formation. I doubt that they learn anything from this, or even care in the slightest, but it makes me feel a little better not being marginalized.

In regards to the above posters about having to get out of the way of the Chinese, friends that have lived and worked in China and Hong Kong tell me you just have to give them a firm stiff elbow when walking past and they get the message. They all said they felt bad about it at first, but that's the way it's done.

Just came back after 6 weeks. The number of morons is increasing daily!!. The traffic is horrible and life endangering. The beach is full with the lowest class thai men working for jet ski scam. No chairs and umbrellas but the still all waiting for the high quality tourists. the place is doomed. one comment about the bar scene in bangla road. avoid this lowbrow, noisy and overprices area. Will be back songkran because to hot in NE Thailand.

In regards to the above posters about having to get out of the way of the Chinese, friends that have lived and worked in China and Hong Kong tell me you just have to give them a firm stiff elbow when walking past and they get the message. They all said they felt bad about it at first, but that's the way it's done.

Many years ago I had a 2 week stay in Hong Kong.

The first week I seemingly spent most of my time and energy sidestepping to avoid the hoardes of Chinese who apparently couldn't see me coming.

In the 2nd week I decided to only make an effort to avoid those who reciprocated.

I had dozens of these little people bouncing off my chest, then looking at me with a mixture of shock and anger as if I had magically materialized in front of them out of thin air.

I would point at my eyes and suggest they try using theirs.

Strangely the problem seem to lessen for the rest of my stay.