Friendship Bridge, Nong Khai

Used the crossing several times. was not aware that it had closing times, I've always used it in the morning as you have yo be in Vientene before 12:00 P.M. to process to get your visa the following afternoon. No matter what you do it's an overnight trip at best, more then that if you are not there before 12:00 P.M. to prosss your visa.

Finn,

Ray23 is right if you're enquiring for visa runs. Some years back (two) when the security situation in Laos was not as stable as to-day they basically followed the sun, i.e. opened in the morning 730’ish and closed at dark around 6 to seven pm. It may have improved by now, but I would not count it for various reasons.

Chees.....kandt

If I remember correctly, the Laotians close the Border to Thailand at around 5pm. I was on a day trip to Vientiane last December (stayed in Udon Thani for a few Days) and - as I was not aware of this) just managed it a few Minutes before 5pm, avoiding to have to stay in Laos for a Night.

Sunny

your question about the border closing time at friendship bridge

we were there last week and it closes on the thai side at 10pm but to be safe get there by 9pm, there is a help desk as ypu arrive and you can also pay your overstay fines 200 baht per day before leaving.

we went by car and had to see an agent at the friendship hotel in nok kai it cost my wife 2500 baht for 3 days in laos but it was well worth it as we could tour around.

accomadation in vietenne is expensive at hotels try the guest houses 380/400baht gets you a double with aircon. but everthing closes down in the town by 12.

the thai embassy opens at 8.30am get there early as there was a big queue, they process you at the entrance first ,and then you get a number and wait in an outhouse for halve an hour before being taken into the embassy

make sure you have your documentation copied they have a copyer at the embassy door. if you havnt copies you go to back of queue

and the girl there makes ii like being interviwed by the ss, an aussie was asked where he was working and he wouldnt answer so he was sent packing.

you must get your application in before 12 and collect it the next afternoon. we got a 3 month for 1000 baht. it beats the monthly run to cambodia hands down.

any other questions email me [email protected]