The joy of Thai

Gecko123

As far as I can see all the points in OP are valid.

I spend 15 years in Quebec and refused to learn the language for the very same reasons.

You missed the point, stop speed reading. What other languages did you refuse to learn? I refuse to try to learn classic Arab come to that, but that has a political and ethical dimension which I can fully justify, I have no desire to read the Koran. 15 years? You must have missed out on a lot of stuff.

• Like 1

Good question, worthy of another thread. Like you, I live in Isaan, where many Farangs (and Bangkok Thais) never go. The real Thailand for me is a place that hasn't been taken over by red-light areas, isn't drowning in traffic, people go to bed when it's dark.. please start another thread, I myself am about, very reluctantly, to drive to Bangkok.

I learnt Thai when I moved to BKK some 12 years ago for the primary reason that I would consider it rude not to learn the language of the country that I intended to reside in.

Another reason was because the builders of my first hotel spoke no English - I had to rapidly learn to speak 'builder's Thai' and to read and write Thai so that I could read the building plans and write instructions in Thai for the workmen, (which wasn't always a success, since many of them were illiterate)

I may not hold Thai citizenship, but many Thais in my local community assume that I am Thai (ie hold Thai citizenship), because I've made an effort to learn the language and to integrate into the community.

I have not found any disadvantages to speaking Thai, only many advantages.

Update: As other posters have mentioned, in many areas of Thailand, the locals speak little English and it is really necessary to speak some Thai.

I have found the same problem, even though I live in the so-called tourist mecca of Phuket. Many locals speak little English (a constant complaint from my hotel guests)

So are there a lot of misunderstanding s in the Thai language?? My Wife is always "having problems" when she deals with other Thais through work even when to me its as clear as day what shes trying to tell them?

Vague?

I think the better question might be "do you really need to learn Thai?" I do believe the basics, especially numbers, is important, but I have friends that have motorcycled throughout Thailand and speak virtually no Thai. So it is not a necessity to learn Thai to live here, there are many of farangs that are examples. More appropriately, did you come to Thailand to become "Thai" or just come over for the normal obvious reasons: cost of living, girls, weather. If you are an expat and mostly hand with expats, then there probably is little incentive to spend several years trying to learn a language that when you visit a few hundred kilometers away, with a change of dialect, you probably won't understand people anyways (not entirely true, but even my teachers have mentioned they have trouble understanding other dialects). Not all, but the majority of expats that seem to learn better Thai live in areas where it is almost a necessity due to the lack of English speaking Thai people.

For me, I go to a store, ask for something in Thai, they reply in English, so why do I even bother with Thai, plus half the time I just get a blank stare. I asked for 450 baht to top up my phone a few days ago. Nueng and Si are pretty different words. I got 150 baht ticket. If I had just asked for 450 baht there probably wouldn't have been a mistake, lol.

So, I think there are always advantages to knowing the language of a country you where you live. The better your ability, the more conversations you will have. But if you do not interact with Thai people beyond shopping or going to the motorcycle shop, then really, you don't need to learn. It takes a lot of time, effort, money, (homework if you are so inclined), and speaking to learn Thai, and the majority of expats I know are over here to relax and enjoy life, not become a student (which unfortunately is like, dare we say it...work).

Just as some expats are fine living a village lifestyle, others prefer the city. When I first arrived in Thailand I was surprised at how many signs were in English. But I still have learned sufficient Thai to at least order a meal, know the cost, say Hello, so when I am out in the country I have a better chance of making my wishes known. Would I like to be more fluent? Yes. Will I put in the time and effort? No. I do not hang around with Thai people enough to need more Thai.

I think everyone knows there are more benefits to knowing the language (and in many cases you can feign ignorance and not let people know you speak Thai), but not speaking Thai does not seem to really make a significant difference to most of us living over here. Just my thoughts :)

• Like 1

So are there a lot of misunderstanding s in the Thai language

In my example, my builders didn't understand a word of English. Speaking/writing Thai was absolutely required to ensure that they didn't go and build in the wrong place etc.

Despite Gecko's polite request not to start banging on about why not to learn the language it seems some couldn't help themselves and as comprehension is at the heart of language is probably why they will never learn Thai. I like a few other posters am upcountry and find most people that live up this way are very proficient most to the point where the only communicate in Thai. I notice a lot of them, Germans, Swedes, Italians and so forth were already multi-lingual to begin with and even though Thai is tonal I am sure that helps. I must admit my Thai is atrocious but I keep trying. Now to the point of private tuition obviously I don't have an affinity for languages and it could be argued as an Aussie I barely speak English. I don't know how you would live somewhere and at least not have a conversational grasp of the language. Saying it is useless because only Thai's speak Thai reeks of BS. Point being generally I think you would find that mostly the people who live here and don't wish or feel they need to learn Thai are the proud few who live in places like Pattaya and Phuket and beyond drinking beer and chasing hookers really don't love Thailand all that much at all. Leo neung kuat yai, khrup khun khrup na ? wai.gif

• Like 2

If you can't speak Thai in Thailand you are stuck in a bubble, but I appreciate to learn Thai requires motivation, and for me it was the country people that inspired me.

Bannork, Honee and Sayan are both well dead, she was glorious and such a loss to Thai music IMO, he was a bit of a nutter, over rated. Saw OS 4s last night with his full ramwong set up, dancing stage in front of the stage with girls lined up on seats with numbers. I find nitnoy Thai Ok, they thought it was cute. Dance with any you like all night for 40 baht, 20 baht for a seat. Thank goodness that dreadful Carabao act has been canceled on the last night (wat fair) instead we have Rose Buntrern, well she changed her name but can never remember it.

Stuff learning Thai to any great level, most don't need it and certainly not me, mrs speaks perfect English, unlike some wifes where people have had to learn Thai, poor things! I did get inspired but gave up, it was misery not joy, unlike the music! I did learn quite a lot of Lao and Khamin though, am I allowed to say that?

Edited by dragonfly94