Thai Police fines Dutch couple for carrying Swiss army knife in car (VIDEO)

webfact

Good lord - I just ran out to the car a tossed the can opener into the trash with the tire iron - if I get a flat I ll just call the cops, and only buy twist cap soda.

"What happens if I purchase a butcher knife from a department store?" it must be in the wrapper in the trunk out of reach and have a receipt that is not more then 1 hour old - you should be fine.

On what grounds was this search being done anyway - I know they can pretty much do as they please here, but they normally have some cause other then just we can so we did?

• Like 1

Good lord - I just ran out to the car a tossed the can opener into the trash with the tire iron - if I get a flat I ll just call the cops, and only buy twist cap soda.

"What happens if I purchase a butcher knife from a department store?" it must be in the wrapper in the trunk out of reach and have a receipt that is not more then 1 hour old - you should be fine.

On what grounds was this search being done anyway - I know they can pretty much do as they please here, but they normally have some cause other then just we can so we did?

And if I don't have a car?

Thank goodness for martial law and the BIB,have to get these criminals off the street and have their attitudes adjusted to instill happiness.

I wonder if the result would have been the same if they were Swiss with a hidden Dutch army knife!

Edited by Thailand

post-58-0-36429700-1423219205_thumb.jpg

I'm sitting in the computer room of a local bank in Bangkok. I have a knife like this in my backpack (mine has "KL 85"). I have been carrying it for many years now, even when I finish work and have a quick beer before going home.

I even have to admit I had it with me when we had the opening of TVF Lounge a few months ago (sorry George wai.gif ).

Will this (self) confession ban me from TVF? Should I turn myself in with the police?

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Didn't some Bangkok police commander some time ago demand stories of police abuse to be forwarded to him?

This seems like a good candidate.

Also I think to remember that such knives cannot be classified as weapons, since the blade is too short ?

And... yes, I carry one most of the time with me.

• Like 2

did not realize it was illegal to have a small knife in the car.

It is in Melbourne Australia unless it is being used in connection of employment, sport and you are current engage in such an activity or on a direct route to or from such activity.

Maybe so but do you think the Aussie police would fine someone for having a something like this in the car? It's not a knife, it's an utility tool of which the penknife is just one of many tools.

yep they will and I have done so on a number of occasions, no ifs no butts. Still classed as a prohibited weapon. Not a fine but a court appearance

Ya big Bully!! you're all heart!! ;)

Usually I don't respond to these police topics but this is nonsense. Since when is a storage compartment carrying a knife in public. What if one is going camping, picnicking, etc. with knives. I wonder what the details of the law is as in some countries it is the length of the blade and the clear function such as a switch blade that defines the legality. A Swiss Army knife? That's a toolkit. Plus to be searched without a warrant I thought required very reasonable cause.

"I'd like to explain that people cannot just carry a knife in public. It's illegal,"

Maybe they expect a toolkit to be in the boot (trunk). biggrin.png

And if I don't have a car?

Then they say; ' hands up on the wall M F' only it sounds funny when they say it. thumbsup.gif

I always carried the smallest swiss army knife with me to cut my meat in restaurants. I even flew with it in my handluggage to Hongkong and suvarnabhumi security checked my handluggage where it was in.

When i flew back to BKK the Hongkong security confisticated it, they saw it on their scanner. I inherited it from my passed away grandpa but hey not allowed is not allowed, it was on my keychain and i forgot to take it off before going on a visarun.

• Like 1

I have often thought that a great action scene in a movie being filmed here could include two or more people in a fight that takes place near one of those weapon kiosks on the street.....swords, crossbows, brass knuckels, stun guns.....pepper spray...etc etc.

A swiss army knife is not a weapon its a tool.

• Like 2

Well, those Dutch have been RIGHTFULLY fined... should have been much more... first of all, the knife in the video is DEFINITELY not a Swiss Army knife... I would know about that... and second, if it would have been, where is the licence from the Swiss Government for foreigners to carry a Swiss Army knife???

givem 10 years!!! tongue.png

did not realize it was illegal to have a small knife in the car.

It is in Melbourne Australia unless it is being used in connection of employment, sport and you are current engage in such an activity or on a direct route to or from such activity.

Not sure what law / rule you referring to but few years ago law was if the blade is smaller than your palm vertically, it is fully legal not only to have it in the car but in your possession at any time

Good thing I never got stopped and searched on my many CBR trips around the north and north east of Thailand, or they might have found the Kershaw combat boot knife, and the push button lock blade, both with 4" blades, both razor sharp, that I carried on me at all times.

post-82655-0-17343900-1423224230_thumb.j

The policeman searching the car is wearing a 10000 baht seiko [orange monster]diving watch.

It's interesting how aggressively the Thai woman is talking to the police, and how she openly criticizes

them to camera. The only place I don't carry a knife is at work. Why wouldn't a foreigner carry a knife in Thailand?

• Like 1