Food for thought

couchpotato

Most of us have been taught, and or followed our parents lead in having soup, salad, main course, dessert (and perhaps coffee for a proper meal)

---of course this doesnt apply to fast food,

Anyway the other day my kid decided she was hungry at lunchtime and had the following over a 30 min period in this order:

chocolate chip cookie, rainbow cereal, small cup of ice cream, glass of milk, bit of lasagne leftover and then a small bowl of corn soup.

So quite a mish mash of foods and in an order that goes against our instincts.

Then I thought about it---does it really matter in what order food goes down,,,I decided it didn't ( for me I like my bestest thing to be the last taste).

By starting this thread I've obviously got a lot of time on my hands, but interested to hear how others view this,

Bon appetit....

You must be American... where I come from the soup is never followed by a salad unless the salad is a main course. The salad thing is very American.

But in answer to your question.... no it doesn't matter what order...whatever floats your boat. Sometimes I will have 2 starters followed by a desert leaving our the main meal totally, it depends how hungry I am.

That whole strait-jacket meal standard is utterly irrelevant in my life. But what I do is vary every meal in terms of nutrition content, variety and volume throughout the day, and day to day. And dessert never enters into it.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

You must be American... where I come from the soup is never followed by a salad unless the salad is a main course. The salad thing is very American.

But in answer to your question.... no it doesn't matter what order...whatever floats your boat. Sometimes I will have 2 starters followed by a desert leaving our the main meal totally, it depends how hungry I am.

You mean you could start with a plate of custard and jelly, or even ice cream, then go on to plate of potatoes and steak pie? uuuughhh.

With kids you like to save the treat for last so they eat there din din

Correct. To ensure they get all their nutrition, it's not good to fill up on sugary stuff first.

Surely that makes sense.

Isn't there some nutritional logic behind how and what we eat?

Or should we all follow Ronald McDonald?

Well I'm American and I don't recall many meals there that included soup AND salad (as starters). Generally if there is a starter, it is EITHER a soup or a salad or perhaps another formal appetizer dish of most anything. I don't consider super formal meals with so many course particularly American at at all. A standard full American meal is:

Starter (as above, choice of one) often shared if a formal appetizer

Main Course (called Entree in the U.S., weird I know)

Dessert

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2738/why-do-americans-refer-to-the-main-course-of-a-meal-as-the-entree

In the rare cases when a soup and a salad are served in the U.S. as starters, I'm not even aware that there is a formal national custom about the order. Is there really? Off the topic of my head, I would assume the salad would come FIRST before the soup.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Then what are you? An <deleted> for interjecting race and countries into a simple food thread? Get a life

Not only the meal order has gone out the window, but the whole strategy.

We ate at the table, with Dad at the head, Mum beside him and the kids silently scattered around.

My wife eats at the computer, the kids in front of the TV (whilst swinging up-side-down on the lounge), I am generally eating somewhere around the place normally outside.

And it is not only us. I have noticed friends doing the same.

this you have(recommended) to stop immediately-it is part of eating/table culture and will teach the off springs some kind of discipline...

• Like 1

Then what are you? An <deleted> for interjecting race and countries into a simple food thread? Get a life
and here comes the race card!... Typical !.... Thank heavens for the ignore function.... Byeeeee

I call it breakfast, lunch and tea too. Unless we are out in a poshish restaurant and then it's dinner. That could be at lunch or tea time.

It's the zig zag eating of Americans that make me a bit dizzy, or is that the wine consumed with two of the above?

• Like 1

It's all a mish mash to me...

Can anyone explain the difference between dinner and supper?

In California where I a from the words are interchangeable.

I have in some places they are different meals..

When we were kids in Australia; dinner was the evening meal (tea), and supper was a light meal before going to bed (cup of tea and biscuit).

I don't think "supper" is used much these days.

• Like 2

I think its what taste you want to leave the table with.........meat and potatoes or dessert / ice cream

and to get kids to eat veggies and other things they might not like you leave the sweets for last......

But yes this is a western idea (USA), I have no idea how its done in Asia

I think morning tea is for yuppies.

It's smoko.

and at smoko...it's pies on a cold day...and cream buns on a normal day...cheesy.gif

That's right.

And, we wash it down with iced coffee, not bloody soi lattes.

• Like 1

Usually 2-3 different dishes with serving spoons.....no rhyme or reason sometimes breafast could show up at dinner or dinner at breakfast....sometimes western and Thai mixes I wouldn't think of putting together.....treats fall somewhere in between....typically we eat at the dining room table but once in awhile wherever

With kids you like to save the treat for last so they eat there din din

Correct. To ensure they get all their nutrition, it's not good to fill up on sugary stuff first.

You cant have any meat until you eat your vegetables, how can you have any meat if you don't eat your vegetables!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I call it breakfast, lunch and tea too. Unless we are out in a poshish restaurant and then it's dinner. That could be at lunch or tea time.

It's the zig zag eating of Americans that make me a bit dizzy, or is that the wine consumed with two of the above?

In the Royal Navy at midday it was:

Hands to dinner

Senior Rates to lunch

Pigs (cute name for officers) to the trough.

Didn't hear that on the tannoy system much though.....................wink.png

• Like 1