What makes Thailand a third world country?

theguyfromanotherforum

did i mention food contamination? where in the first world you get ill from food so consistently as in thailand? yes third world for absolute sure.

30+ years and been food related ill only a few times. Eat out regularly, shopping malls, open air markets, street stalls etc. Nothing wrong with the food generally, it must be your stomach.

far more TAT plants on here than i thought.

• Like 2

did i mention food contamination? where in the first world you get ill from food so consistently as in thailand? yes third world for absolute sure.

30+ years and been food related ill only a few times. Eat out regularly, shopping malls, open air markets, street stalls etc. Nothing wrong with the food generally, it must be your stomach.

I've never been ill from the food here, either.

I'm not a TAT plant but a lover of Thai food, whereas you seem to be a weak stomached anti-Thai food plant.

• Like 1

I'm not a TAT plant but a lover of Thai food, whereas you seem to be a weak stomached anti-Thai food plant.

you seem to have a vested interest in spreading lies and half truths. even a cursory glance at this forum will reveal numerous cases of thai food induced illness. these all couldnt have been written by me.

a couple of mukkata made me unwell , but last year i got quite strong food poisoning either from my fav restaurant in cm (the chicken was strange ) or a kao pat kung in tiger kingdom where i took my son who was on holidays

i go back to the restaurant no problem still excelent

but i think in the old time when no one was using fridge and freezer it was surer

just came home from walking the dog, we stopped and looked at a motel they have started building at the end of our street. They have backfilled a water logged area then started brickwork on top of the backfill, no packing it down, no putting cement foundations down to put the bricks on, just started bricking the walls on top of the dirt even though it isnt even level. The walls are a metre high, they are all over the place(up and down left and right), they have used 3 or 4 different bricks that are all different sizes as well which makes it worse, the septic tanks they dug in have actually sunk through the backfill and almost disappeared down holes, where these holes have under mined the brickwork they have stuck rocks in there to stop the wall collapsing. These are going to be occupied by people when they are fisnished and in all likely hood will collapse at some stage if they dont collapse shortly, this is the type of thing that makes Thailand look bad.

just came home from walking the dog, we stopped and looked at a motel they have started building at the end of our street. They have backfilled a water logged area then started brickwork on top of the backfill, no packing it down, no putting cement foundations down to put the bricks on, just started bricking the walls on top of the dirt even though it isnt even level. The walls are a metre high, they are all over the place(up and down left and right), they have used 3 or 4 different bricks that are all different sizes as well which makes it worse, the septic tanks they dug in have actually sunk through the backfill and almost disappeared down holes, where these holes have under mined the brickwork they have stuck rocks in there to stop the wall collapsing. These are going to be occupied by people when they are fisnished and in all likely hood will collapse at some stage if they dont collapse shortly, this is the type of thing that makes Thailand look bad.

Holy hell!!!....it's time to move from there...and it's a Motel?

Which brings me to another point. The quality of construction. I am visiting Canada and am literally in one of the worst kept Canadian cities. However after 60 years all apartment buildings still look nice, some are renovated to reflect the times and once you do your own renovation inside your unit you really have a solid place to live in. On the contrary bangkok condos start falling apart after one year. Even lumpini which has a great reputation looks dirty from the outside after 5 years and all the landscaping around the condo does not help with the surrounding buildings that look like slums. Thailand shopping malls beat many western ones for sure, but as soon as you step out the reality sets in.

One somchai building a house up to standards unfortunately does not qualify Thailand looking like a first world country. Bangkok is a slum.

Now....let me just say I still like Bangkok that way. It is one of my favorite cities. But it ain't first or second world.

Which brings me to another point. The quality of construction. I am visiting Canada and am literally in one of the worst kept Canadian cities. However after 60 years all apartment buildings still look nice, some are renovated to reflect the times and once you do your own renovation inside your unit you really have a solid place to live in. On the contrary bangkok condos start falling apart after one year. Even lumpini which has a great reputation looks dirty from the outside after 5 years and all the landscaping around the condo does not help with the surrounding buildings that look like slums. Thailand shopping malls beat many western ones for sure, but as soon as you step out the reality sets in.

One somchai building a house up to standards unfortunately does not qualify Thailand looking like a first world country. Bangkok is a slum.

Now....let me just say I still like Bangkok that way. It is one of my favorite cities. But it ain't first or second world.

You seem to be taking the piss on Thailand because you can't afford to live here anymore.

Bangkok is not 3rd world no matter which factor you take into account.

Edited by Lukecan

I can afford to live here plenty. If you want to discuss the other topic post this comment over there. BTW I have bought a pre construction condo in bangers and sold it (for profit) after one year. I really wanted a place of my own but after visiting many Facebook pages and looking at the pictures from unsatisfied customers with all kinds of problems from bad kitchen cupboards that simply fall down on kitchen sink and water leakage which would irritate my asthma I decided to make someone else happy.

I can afford to live here plenty. If you want to discuss the other topic post this comment over there. BTW I have bought a pre construction condo in bangers and sold it (for profit) after one year. I really wanted a place of my own but after visiting many Facebook pages and looking at the pictures from unsatisfied customers with all kinds of problems from bad kitchen cupboards that simply fall down on kitchen sink and water leakage which would irritate my asthma I decided to make someone else happy.

In the other topic you said Canada is cheaper on the long term. If you want to raise a family you're 100% right.

Lets say you have 2 kids, a good international school will set you back 1.5 million baht a year.

In Canada this is free

Same for health care.

But I'm being bashed on the other topic, people are not in touch with reality.

Holy hell!!!....it's time to move from there...and it's a Motel?

mate, I want to take some pics of it as I nearly fell over when I saw it and what they were doing, couldnt believe it. I think it is meant to be one of those little sex motels were couples go for a night away from the family(make a bit of noise) but I seriously doubt that it will last very long, by the look of it the walls will collapse before too long even with render work on them. Wouldnt change my mind about living here though, there are always faults when you look no matter where you live, admittedly there are more here but that doesnt sway me at all, I love it here and seriously doubt anything will change my mind plus I have a great builder for our work so the crappy ones dont bother me. Will never recommend the motel though when/if its finishedw00t.gif

Edited by seajae

Never got ill from the food in 34 years. Don't know what you are eating.

Totally agree- in many years once from something on the beach

. Thailand is Not Third World- think about "night soil" in India - something like 70% of households do not have any sanitation.

As said think the OP has not travelled much?

*Deleted post edited out*

So you think it's OK for busses to be in deplorable condition where drivers don't have any responsibility for the passengers? That makes it a third world in my book.

BTW...I was born in a third world country so I know what it is better than you.

a bus is a bus. it's the driver that makes the trip unbearable.

Edited by fey

you seem to have a vested interest in spreading lies and half truths. even a cursory glance at this forum will reveal numerous cases of thai food induced illness. these all couldnt have been written by me.

I have no vested interest and only say it as I find it in that Thai food has rarely made me sick. None of that is lies or half truths and I object to you saying so and you should apologize for such defamatory remarks. You will find many in this thread who like me rarely are sick from the food. You seem the one with a vested interest in putting Thai food down due to regular illness which you attribute to it.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 2

I have spent only 18 months in Thailand and even I, the uninformed Farang know for a fact that there has been at least one bank bailout just before the coup (pink bank).

I've also spent 18 months in Thailand

and I'm a canuck

signed,

doppleganger

Another BS argument, good and bad housing anywhere.:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=bad+housing+canada&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=hqHXVLXXCufgywPgh4Jo&ved=0CDQQ7Ak

Another BS argument, good and bad housing anywhere.:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=bad+housing+canada&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=hqHXVLXXCufgywPgh4Jo&ved=0CDQQ7Ak

Haha.... You can't be serious!

So you think it's OK for busses to be in deplorable condition where drivers don't have any responsibility for the passengers? That makes it a third world in my book.

Canadian bus drivers are not all rosy and sunshine either. You dont get disciplined for taking your sweet ass time for coffee-restroom breaks while locking in your passengers for a good 15-20 minutes inside the vehicle

Heck, you can never get fired for anything, the union protect your ass 100% of the time

Then we get threats of strikes by the entire transit staff (bus, ttc, trains) every 2 years if they don't get their raises

Canadian bus drivers are not all rosy and sunshine either. You dont get disciplined for taking your sweet ass time for coffee-restroom breaks while locking in your passengers for a good 15-20 minutes inside the vehicle

Heck, you can never get fired for anything, the union protect your ass 100% of the time

Then we get threats of strikes by the entire transit staff (bus, ttc, trains) every 2 years if they don't get their raises

All true, but mostly irrelevant.

All true, but mostly irrelevant.

it may not relevant but it just shows you that your post of Thai bus drivers as an example of why Thailand is a '3rd-world country' as you call it, is complete bullshit

Did you ever see anyone in a wheelchair get on a bus in Thailand?

Third world.

In Salt Lake City, I take the bus into work everyday from my bedroom community. The front 40% of the bus is composed of the driver's seat, the front wheel wells, and accommodation for wheelchairs.

There is an elevator platform, and the driver assists the passengers with a smile, including buckling in the wheelchair.

Drivers always greet passengers with a smile, and say thanks when the passengers disembark.

Nice to be back where everyone is polite, and thinking about others.

• Like 1