Returning to Thailand - Chiang Mai versus Pattaya?

Mcffee

Lived in and outside Chiang Mai for alltogether 15 years, back to EU few years and considering moving back to Thailand.

Never was a 'big fan' of the smelly Central Pattaya but Naklua is not too bad at all. Just now I start wonder myself why not moving to Naklua -probably start living together with my Chonburi girlfriend- in stead of Chiang Mai? What are the most important differences?

ChiangMai:

mountain scenery

walking street/handicrafts

smog

extremely dangerous traffic

congestion

social network/friends

(starting small business again?)

??

Naklua:

sea view (bigger fan of sea then mountains)

sea breeze

entertainment

no network

??

What more? Suggestions? Any difference in foreigner-friendlyness?

Edited by Mcffee

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Chiang Mai. Pattaya is sleazy and nasty. Full of criminals and scams.

Thailand is a 3rd world country - all parts are full of criminals and scams, so is TV for that matter.. - pick the one that makes you feel the most happy and ignore all the doomsayers

As you say, Pattaya has its neighbourhoods that are more sane than the downtown madness. If you are a mature and reasonably well-balanced individual, you'll be able to dip in and out of the darker attractions that the place has to offer, while still retaining your humanity - and sobriety.

Personally, having considered CM many times over the years, I have always rejected moving there - too parochial, too provincial and too far from the sea for my tastes.

It really is a question of self-examination as to what will suit you best.

It's a personal thing what you look for, but on a general view I don't see many advantages in Naklua over Chiang Mai.

If you consider traffic in Chiang Mai extremely dangerous, than certainly stay away from Pattaya, Bangkok and all more populated areas of Thailand.

Sea breeze is only when you are very near the sea and with the right winds. In many places it's exhaust and sewer fumes.

The whole Pattaya area is getting more congested, dirty and sleazy. The visitor profile is also shifting, the last peaking Europeans where the Russians who are on a strong decline now and the biggest numbers are now from India, Arab countries, China, Korea, etc. It will keep changing a lot in the coming years for sure.

It was an easy choice for me... Chiang Mai, mostly due to the people and general attitude here regarding farangs. It's very different here than BKK, Patts or Phuket.

That said, your mileage may vary. Bad things happen everywhere- including the west. For me though, I find the people in CM are far more patient, kind and honest than in the tourist traps.

Good luck with your choice. If i ever move back to the LOS it will be back to Udon Thani. Unless of course it's changed since I was last there in 1972.

Its exactly how you left it mate, honestly ;-) Edited by longstebe

Thailand is not so welcoming to Western Tourists as it once was. They are shifting their welcome to Russians and Chinese, who have no interest or respect for Thai Culture, Customs, foods, etc. Pattaya is full of them now. Naklua, Jomtien and Pratumnak especially, .. but you will never see a Russian in Isaan or Chiang Mai!

The smog in Chiang mai is more terrible then in Pattaya and in February is much more chisng mai is cheaper, but both city's have his good and bad sides , for me I always stay in Chiang mai and Pattaya because everywhere I have friends in thailand I must visit every year!

And not forget every market looks same same no matter where you stay!

I have lived in both places! and both very different! If you want to ride a bicycle every day then Chiang Mai is much more suitable! I personally prefer Naklua ( Pattaya ) cheap condo's from 4,000 to 5,000 baht a month and just a gentle stroll to the beach,great for walking,sunbathing and swimming ( with cool tunes ...) I found when i lived in Chiang Mai it was hot and nowhere to cool down,where as here in Naklua after being out and about in the sun all day you have a nice beach ( Wongamat ) to cool down in the sea.......

F.J wai2.gif

I left Pattaya before I lost my sanity, and settled in CM in November 2013. At first, the winter was too cold for me, and then the smog hit for a further 3 weeks. But this place grew on me, because of the peaceful ambiance, and a better social life that didn't include avoiding hookers or scammers on every corner. We're happy here, and the choice of food outlets is amazing. No complaints, everything a farang needs is at hand.

And if anyone thinks the sea at Pattaya is fit for swimming, it's not. But if I had my time again, I'd relocate south to Khanom (on the gulf opposite Samui) where it is sheer paradise with beautiful unspoilt beaches and unpolluted sea. Paradise.

For me Chiang Mai, is too cold, anything under 30 is too cold for me. Pattaya and Chiang Mae, have too much traffic. I would find a peaceful place by the sea somewhere between Bangkok and Ranong, if one exists.

The town of Pratchuap Khirikhan is the most peaceful & pleasant place by the sea i have found in Thailand.

The darkside offers the best of all worlds, especially if you pick a quiet mooban. It's fairly close to all manner of amenities, including the notorious Pattaya nightlife (maybe 20 mins from the top of Khao Talo), but peaceful and quiet for the most part and easy to get out among farms and orchards, rural villages and country temples.

Come back and try a month in both locations. Then you'll know.

While I live in Chiang Mai, i'm not going to push for it because I've never lived in Pattaya, so I can't make a comparison.

Oh, we do have Russians in Chiang Mai, but not many and they aren't obtrusive -- not like the Chinese tourists. They can be exasperating when a group comes in a takes over a place where you and some friends were planning to have a nice, quiet meal. Or when 4 or 5 come into a small shop and shove you out of the way even though you were talking with the sales assistant.

Edited by NancyL

As you say, Pattaya has its neighbourhoods that are more sane than the downtown madness. If you are a mature and reasonably well-balanced individual, you'll be able to dip in and out of the darker attractions that the place has to offer, while still retaining your humanity - and sobriety.

Personally, having considered CM many times over the years, I have always rejected moving there - too parochial, too provincial and too far from the sea for my tastes.

It really is a question of self-examination as to what will suit you best.

Yup, it's a long walk to the beach from Chiang Mai!

I wouldn't live in Nakula for all the tea in China (if there's any left there). You can taste the pollution in the air from the oil refinery the other side of the bay and it gives you headaches and can't possibly be good for anyone. Why anyone wants to live there is beyond me.

If you like to go to bars and enjoy the company of the girls who work at these places then I would say Pattaya for sure. If you have a gf or wife ( for a man) or still have the know how to pick up none bar girls then I would say Chiang Mai. The big difference is the beach and bar girls, one has and one does not. I think crime is also higher in Pattaya.

Been in CM for 7 years and don't want to leave...to me it is a "normal' city, with everything I need, including a great social life.

Yeah, a beach would be nice but it's only a cheap and quick flight away if needed.

I visit pattaya every now and then but living there would do my head in.....it's a place I like to visit and then leave.

For me CM all day long!

P.S. Dangerous traffic? Compared to what? I have driven and ridden daily for years in and around town and never had any issues, just adapt your driving/riding style!

Bang Saen Beach is about 40 kilometers north of Pattaya with Buraphy University and hospital. Wanapa Beach also runs along here. To the north end is the pier with night market on the weekends. Weekends get pretty noisy with a lot of tourist from Bangkok coming down. I started there and moved 10 km north right into the city. 25 minute walk to ocean pier, an hour from airport in Bangkok, about a 55 minute motorbike ride to Pattaya . Rent and food cheaper here and more like real Thailand than the touristy Pattaya. Great bowl of noodles for 35 baht at night market here. Nice things is you can rent short term and check out as many areas as you would like.

Oh yes here in Muang we have Central Festival mall, Tesco Lotus, 3 big C's within 2 kilometers, 2 different movie theaters, Bahts buses running up and down Suhkumvit,

Just another idea.