Fatal System Error

mrbojangles

Hi people,

The mrs is going back to LOS for an holiday next month and i want to give the step daughter an old spare IBM Thinkpad laptop. It worked fine last time i used it but I switched it on at weekend and the following message appeared:-

"Stop: c000021a Fatal System Error.

The system manager imitialization system process terminated unexpectadly with a status of Oxc000003a.

Beginning dump of memory"

I then looked at the manual and did the "Easy Start Up" process.

The following error came up on the "System Board" Dev 001, ERR 91, FRU 3610. All the other devices showed a status of "OK"

Does anyone know if this can easily be fixed, or is it a "throw it in the bin, it's not worth it" case. I know it's an old computer but i'd hate to throw it away if it could be put to good use by the step daughter.

Many thanks, MrBoJ :o

Hi people,

The mrs is going back to LOS for an holiday next month and i want to give the step daughter an old spare IBM Thinkpad laptop. It worked fine last time i used it but I switched it on at weekend and the following message appeared:-

"Stop: c000021a Fatal System Error.

The system manager imitialization system process terminated unexpectadly with a status of Oxc000003a.

Beginning dump of memory"

I then looked at the manual and did the "Easy Start Up" process.

The following error came up on the "System Board" Dev 001, ERR 91, FRU 3610. All the other devices showed a status of "OK"

Does anyone know if this can easily be fixed, or is it a "throw it in the bin, it's not worth it" case. I know it's an old computer but i'd hate to throw it away if it could be put to good use by the step daughter.

Many thanks, MrBoJ :o

Have you tried the Reset Bios option (Or Restore defaults) then save and quit.

Make sure all external Hardware is disconnected.

If that doesnt work. Open the memory slot on the bottom of the machine remove the memory module restart without. Shutdown reinsert memory module ensure that is seated correctly.

Have you tried the Reset Bios option (Or Restore defaults) then save and quit.

Hi dekka, thanks for the reply. How do you perform that function? Is there a "F" key i have to press to get into that screen? Sorry but i'm a bit of a numpty on computers. :o:D

should be able to access the bios by either pressing F2 or DEL during boot up depending on the bios make.

Also try this remove the battery completely from the machine bottom and reboot see if you still get the error on ac adaptor only reinstall the battery after 30 secs off taking it out - then easy setup - Config Initialise. I think 3610 is a battery problem it could be that.

another idea REPLACE the little CMOS battery under the memory module. Could be that which has ran out if the machine is old.

FRU gives the 2 components that most likely at fault apparently in order. 36 is Battery related (Not sure if that relates to CMOS battery or Laptop Battery) 10 is system board. A quick look on the net most people are saying its the backup battery that will need replaced.

http://www.laptopbatteries.com/laptop-batt...00/00008265.asp

Edited by dekka007