Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

Cheaper isn't always better. In fact, it usually isn't.

Yes, in most places you will pay more to live if it is a first world nation, but you will probably get what you pay for there, where in Thailand, it is the opposite. Some things are cheaper here, but to have western comforts, it's generally more expensive these days, and pretty much everything you buy is overpriced and of low quality, including the home or condo you live in.

Lets see where all of us stand after the big event and the place goes belly up. Love Thailand or hate it, there is no denying its future looks very, very grim. It isn't going to end well no matter how rose tinted your glasses are at the moment.

What is this "big event" of which you speak, Nostradamus?

The "big event" requires no prediction as it is unavoidable. The fact that you don't know that to which he refers, speaks volumes.

But here's another hint: it can't be spoken of on this website.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for me either. But it's a great place to hang out for the next three years, have a great time fishing, camping, and sightseeing, while making ridiculous money, then go spend it somewhere a bit more exotic.

How many times you have now pointed out in this thread that you can make good money while back in the US?

So the real reason that you don't like Thailand seems to be that you couldn't afford it because you ran short of money.

Why does it get your goat? Contrary to what many are claiming on this thread, people with skills, or just plain determination, can still make excellent money in the USA.

I never said I didn't like Thailand. In fact, I said I liked many things about it. But living there became boring and overpriced for what I got out of it. That, among a number of other things, is why I left.

Ran short of money? No, that's why so many expats stay in Thailand, eating noodle soup everyday and renting $150/month hotel rooms. They can't afford to live in their homeland. In fact, my vested pension is sufficient to maintain myself in Thailand. Which is why I, like many others before me, had the choice to live elsewhere, and exercised it.

You are working hard to perpetuate the myth that Thailand is a great paradise, and in doing so do a disservice to many who don't know better, and are planning, at great expense, to move there.

Try having a debate without the personal attacks.

in doing so do a disservice to many who don't know better, and are planning, at great expense, to move there.

There is a word that describes someone that would move to another country based only on what he read on a forum like TV, and it's not complimentary.

Geez, I have a more coherent thought process when I'm drunk.

"Only?"

Yes, in most places you will pay more to live if it is a first world nation, but you will probably get what you pay for there, where in Thailand, it is the opposite. Some things are cheaper here, but to have western comforts, it's generally more expensive these days, and pretty much everything you buy is overpriced and of low quality, including the home or condo you live in.

Lets see where all of us stand after the big event and the place goes belly up. Love Thailand or hate it, there is no denying its future looks very, very grim. It isn't going to end well no matter how rose tinted your glasses are at the moment.

What is this "big event" of which you speak, Nostradamus?

The "big event" requires no prediction as it is unavoidable. The fact that you don't know that to which he refers, speaks volumes.

But here's another hint: it can't be spoken of on this website.

Don't forget to add Southeast Asian political analyst and prognosticator to your resume, Carnac.

post-215904-0-50779800-1427952061_thumb.

Yeah, we all know what we cant talk about and it is genuine cause for concern, but how many Americans on the West Coast go to bed worrying about Yellowstone ? Apparently this guy does, but he was born a commie so his crazy opinions dont matter.

http://www.infowars.com/russian-analyst-calls-for-nuclear-attack-on-yellowstone-national-park/

San Andreas ? What's this guy smoking - the zombie apocalypse will be on us long before those old geologists wives tales come to fruition, right ?

If someone chooses to continue living in Thailand despite all its flaws/faults, that's their choice and they're entitled to make it. And don't deserve to be slammed by anyone here.

Likewise, if someone decides to leave Thailand and head back to their home country or elsewhere, that's their choice and they're entitled to make it.

I choose to continue living in Thailand because a] my quiet life here is pretty pleasant and b] my wife is here. But I will say, compared to years back when I first decided to move here, my "favorability rating" for this place has taken a serious turn downhill...

Were I considering the same relocation decision again today, I'm not sure I'd choose to move here now.

Before, I was thinking I'd stay here always. Now, I'm leaning toward more waiting till I'm somewhat older and more into Social Security, and then relocating back to the U.S. Or, if things take an even greater turn for the worse here, which might accelerate that plan.

Nonetheless, I'm always interested to hear why people make these differing decisions, and what goes into their decision making process.

But I really can do without all the personal bickering and sniping -- which serves no purpose and informs nothing.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

What's so great about "western" comforts?

I sleep on a Thai made matress and bed- both fine.

I live in a made in Thailand house- not the greatest, but good enough.

Most of the appliances I buy are made in China- just like back home.

I eat food made in Thailand- food is food and I don't believe in paying OTT for western brands when I can make almost everything myself- just google for recipies.

I drive a car and m'bike made in Thailand- my country doesn't have an auto industry.

I watch western shows on cable tv- no ads- back home the cable channels are full of ads.

I use internet in Thailand- just as good as at home and cheaper.

Banks in Thailand just as good as overseas.

Cinemas in Thailand far better and affordable.

Shopping malls in Thailand far, far better than back there.

So what was better in country of origin- less traffic, but what there is is just as bad.

More bad people back home- I don't miss being scared when I go to town.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

theatre 130 baths In Pattaya, USA 10$

hotel 450 bahts, 60$ in the USA

income tax in Thailand 0%, USA up to 40%

USA all obese. Thai girls look good.

USA is filled with freaks , monsters, killers, nuts, drug addicts and is now a police state. no thank you USA. never again.

USA is filled with freaks , monsters, killers, nuts, drug addicts and is now a police state. no thank you USA. never again.

You don't read the Thai news much then? Police state, LOL? Catch 44 ring a bell? Violence? None in Thailand, nah.... whistling.gif

Surely if you're American you know that there are bad places in some inner cities that none of us would care to go to. But if you get into anything that's prosperous and normal it's statistically safer and saner than Thailand. The US is huge. Find a nice place which is by far most of it.

You forgot to mention road safety and idiot drivers in LOS, BTW.

To each his own. Good luck with everything.

Cheers

Yeah, the fact that thousands are killed on American roads each year somehow goes over your head, retire grandpa, you're a dinosaur.

I thought it was well known that Thailand has one of the highest highway death tolls in the world per capita, and that the US doesn't even come close?

This is just an internet forum and there's no need to get so worked up about it. Adults can have a simple conversation.

fatal accidents in the us are relatively rare compared to how many people are traveling. chances are you will walk from an accident.

the "nanny state" does ensure almost everyone is wearing a seatbelt and a helmet on a motorcycle. things are much safer in general due to the court system and ability to sue. also, people are legally required to have insurance.

thailand is fine and cheap until things go wrong. then you will wish you had the protection to take for granted in the usa. i feel like im on borrowed time in thailand. sooner or later things will turn sour i just hope it does not erase the gains ive made living here.

theatre 130 baths In Pattaya, USA 10$

hotel 450 bahts, 60$ in the USA

income tax in Thailand 0%, USA up to 40%

USA all obese. Thai girls look good.

Everyone has their reasons for living where they do, however generalities are just silly and there are pluses and minuses wherever you choose to live.

"USA all obese, Thai girls look good." - keeping making stuff up if it helps you feel better and justify your reasons for living where you do.

Just because I live in Thailand does not relieve me of any US income taxes, in that my income is US based, as I expect is the case with the majority of US expats.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Loved Thailand in the beginning but after a decade sick to death of it. Appreciate that many Thais are honest & hardworking but have met so many who are anything but. Speak fluent Thai & have lived in many different countries. But have never encountered the level of deception I have experienced here...perhaps just my personal experience. And now with our new Dear Leader & crew really feel it's time to move on.

Personally think certain places suite a certain time in life , luckily enough we have that choice ! I was born and raised in England lived in Thailand for a bit and have now lived in the PNW for the last 8 years . As a young adult the UK or Europe is a far superior place , with a brilliant national health service and a vibrant social life .the downside is the taxes and the lack of ambition . As a family man now the USA suites my life as the schools are pretty good and the national parks are brilliant . Social life and seeing other humans on the streets is quite rubbish along with the healthcare system . Thailand is where I will be from my 40s/50s where I am young enough to enjoy the decent things . I left in my 20s as to be fair I was bored to tears there after a few months .

This thread is finally on it's last legs, abuse and slander have been thrown around, mild banter and full on aggression has been seen, a good thread that should now be closed.

Simple reason, another thread on exactly the same lines will be opened straight away. This is a problem in a forum that restricts you to Thai related topics, there are only so many Thai related topics you can discuss, most end in a flame fest and are closed, only to have exactly the same topic resurrected in a new thread, it's the circle of internet life.

They'll close a thread as undesirable, yet immediately another thread on exactly the same topic is started, and it's allowed.

Google ads are a great moneymaker.

This thread is finally on it's last legs, abuse and slander have been thrown around, mild banter and full on aggression has been seen, a good thread that should now be closed.

Simple reason, another thread on exactly the same lines will be opened straight away. This is a problem in a forum that restricts you to Thai related topics, there are only so many Thai related topics you can discuss, most end in a flame fest and are closed, only to have exactly the same topic resurrected in a new thread, it's the circle of internet life.

They'll close a thread as undesirable, yet immediately another thread on exactly the same topic is started, and it's allowed.

Google ads are a great moneymaker.

You say this as if it's a bad thing.

Personally think certain places suite a certain time in life , luckily enough we have that choice ! I was born and raised in England lived in Thailand for a bit and have now lived in the PNW for the last 8 years . As a young adult the UK or Europe is a far superior place , with a brilliant national health service and a vibrant social life .the downside is the taxes and the lack of ambition . As a family man now the USA suites my life as the schools are pretty good and the national parks are brilliant . Social life and seeing other humans on the streets is quite rubbish along with the healthcare system . Thailand is where I will be from my 40s/50s where I am young enough to enjoy the decent things . I left in my 20s as to be fair I was bored to tears there after a few months .

Absolutely right, why does it have to be all or nothing? for some at this stage of their life it is great, for others at an other stage , time to move on

I cringe when I hear of people selling everything in their country , burning all bridges and moving here

perhaps why you hear of so many flying from balconies, it is sad when it get's to the point where it is the only option

In every situation an exit plan is always a good idea.

I eat food made in Thailand- food is food and I don't believe in paying OTT for western brands when I can make almost everything myself- just google for recipies.

I drive a car and m'bike made in Thailand- my country doesn't have an auto industry.

I watch western shows on cable tv- no ads- back home the cable channels are full of ads.

So what was better in country of origin- less traffic, but what there is is just as bad.

It's good that you have limited expectations and don't need much to get by in life. Unfortunately, for some of us, we need high quality products and services. You must come from a rather backwards society, so I can certainly understand your perspective.

Shopping malls are better? Buy anything brand name and it will cost you 2X what it costs in America.

Like some of the other guys have already said LOS still has a great deal going for it depending upon how old you are and what you want out of life. I'm an old guy who has worked and lived in many countries during my life time and am unable to think of a better place than LOS for me personally. I'm in my 23rd year of retirement here (PR papers) and life with a much younger wife here just suits me fine.

By far my favorite part of the World, from SF up Highway 1 and the 101. No where else comes close.

I lived for almost 2 years outside of Pt Reyes Station off Route 1 where Black Mountain was part of the 1800 acre property I lived on -- an 1840 Spanish land grant (then) still held by the same family.

Now I'm happy to live outside Khon Kaen -- the Iowa of Thailand.

black-mountain-from-point-reyes-station.

That would have been an awesome place to live. Just beautiful.

As for KK being the Iowa of something -

attachicon.gif800.jpg

Kkc used to be a nice place to be. Today, I am not sure what it is, but the Iowa of somewhere, maybe even seems a little generous.

It is a mess these days and isn't going to get any better as the powerful families rapidly build 2000 apartments in the space of 1sq km around central. Dumbest development plan I have ever seen.

Let's create enough congestion to force people to have to live in apartments. Very tragic planning.

Loved Thailand in the beginning but after a decade sick to death of it. Appreciate that many Thais are honest & hardworking but have met so many who are anything but. Speak fluent Thai & have lived in many different countries. But have never encountered the level of deception I have experienced here...perhaps just my personal experience. And now with our new Dear Leader & crew really feel it's time to move on.

may i ask why your still there. whats keeping you from moving?

you may offer an honest answer on this board where nobody knows who you are.

Having rescued 5 dogs & 2 cats moving is a bit more complicated. Now researching where next. Some parts of the Philippines are typhoon free & are safe....just about to go & check. Portugal also looks good- friend going soon to check out moving - also sick to death of Thailand. If you still like it - great - I no longer do

Having rescued 5 dogs & 2 cats moving is a bit more complicated. Now researching where next. Some parts of the Philippines are typhoon free & are safe....just about to go & check. Portugal also looks good- friend going soon to check out moving - also sick to death of Thailand. If you still like it - great - I no longer do

what about vietnam or laos, malaysia, indonesia?

your jumping from thailand to the phillippines, why? i suspect your choice is not just about pets or safety.

Davao City is the safest city in Philippines & relatively Typhoon Free (though there's been some really big ones hit 2 hours north so there can be a lot of rain there).

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/city_result.jsp?country=Philippines&city=Davao

Edited by JB300

if you can not live like a monk, you are a poor soul and in your next life you will find yourself in the body of a bum. you have no excuse.

Buddha is watching you . be careful what you wish for.

From many of your previous posts where you told us of how you live in nice hotels, I am assuming that this advice is do as I say, not as I do.

Another question, does this advice apply only to Buddhists, or should everyone consider themselves warned?