Governor slams police for Phuket beach order enforcement tactics

webfact

Governor slams police for Phuket beach order enforcement tactics
Nattha Thepbamrung

1424076842_1.jpg
A tourist at Kamala Police Station this morning holds up the flyer that caused much confusion. Photo: Niruj Kamala

PHUKET: -- Confusion over the rules governing Phuket beaches continues, with the governor today slamming local police tactics to “enforce” regulations governing sun loungers outside designated zones.

Governor Nisit Jansomwong was responding to a series of viral posts by one Facebook user called “Decha Sithidej”.

The posts, including several appeals in Thai to “help Phuket tourism”, are accompanied with mobile-phone quality photographs and video clips showing uniformed Thai police confronting tourists – some of them elderly – on the beach this past weekend.

Defiant tourist sentiment was heightened this morning when a group of some 100 had reportedly stormed to Kamala police station to "demand clarification on the rules"

Addressing rumours that tourists were being harassed and even arrested for using sun loungers on the beach, the governor clarified, "I have never ordered anyone to arrest tourists, but [my mandate was to pursue] beach business operators that occupy beach land for personal profit.”

"I had a meeting with police yesterday (February 15) to clarify understanding again. I understand that it takes time for tourists to know about the new rules.”

It is clear from the video clips that no tourist was arrested or forcefully removed from the beach. If anything, a communication barrier is apparent between police and the tourists.

The governor went on to slam misleading communication tactics employed by police at Surin, Kamala and Patong this past weekend, referring to the dissemination of confusing and mistranslated flyers.

The flyers had two different messages, in Thai and English. The Thai message was clear: “Don’t place beds on the area of the beach . No exception”

However, the English message prompted a lot of itchy scalps, as it read, “No Summer dream on beach, start February 12”.

The governor said he had not made any orders for such flyers to be printed or disseminated and he warned officers not to continue to disseminate any more such messages.

“Today, I’ve sent all three Vice Governors to hotels to ask for cooperation to inform their guests about the rules.”

The governor went on to reiterate the rules.

"Tourists can bring mats, cloths or cushions [and place them] outside the 10 per cent zoning area where umbrellas are allowed.

“I have stressed with the officers already that we need public relations not law enforcement at this starting point, as [maintaining a good] tourism image is essential to our province."

Additional reporting by Eakapop Thongtub

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/governor-slams-police-for-phuket-beach-order-enforcement-tactics-51040.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-02-16

• Like 1

why make it so complicated

you have beach area - tourists can place whatever they want wherever they want - simple

Thais cannot run a business on the beach anywhere - they can operate from off the beach providing beach equipment on a needs basis to tourists if they want to rent - tourists can choose who they rent from and where on the beach they want to sit

seems pretty simple to me - what's the problem

Thais trying to manage something other than a racket......they can't do it......and this is the bleeding governor.....in an attempt to pass the buck!

• Like 2

Dont you also love the way that.. While emphaticly clarifying the permitted use of sunbeds on the beach..

"Tourists can bring mats, cloths or cushions [and place them] outside the 10 per cent zoning area where umbrellas are allowed"

He doesnt actually mention sunbeds.. Or what happens with an umbrellas and a bed..

Also.. We just had a piece posted on PW that cant be linked.. Quoting Kamala and Patong police officers that as of tomorrow chairs are banned..

You put your left leg in.. Your left leg out..

Can anybody name another beach anywhere else in the world where you are forbidden to take your own sunbed? Serious question as I have no idea.

Really - take a sunbed ? I have been to many beaches around the world and I just lie down on the sand, at most with a towel under me. Phuket was the first place I ever came across this sunbed & umbrella idea.

P....s up in a brewery, too many cooks, are the first things that spring to mind along with opportunism to scam the tourists.

"along with opportunism to scam the tourists."

Along with one more occasion for Thai Visa posters to label something a scam for no logical reason other than mindless Thai bashing.

• Like 1

P....s up in a brewery, too many cooks, are the first things that spring to mind along with opportunism to scam the tourists.

What scam, didn't you read the OP? No-one is being scammed but the inability to organise a piss-up in a brewery is probably yours based on the evidence that your brain couldn't organise the words in the report and make sense of them.

is it ok to walk along the beach with an umbrella or are there police waiting to arrest you if you walk into a Zone

what about a very large hat - is that allowed in the Zone

what happens if there's a huge downpour and you are in a Zone

Is the whole beach public land or not

This is why I go to places like this - 25km from Pattaya

post-69580-0-81575300-1424121375_thumb.j

Seems like there is some kind of Scam going on here, where the beach chair vendors are selling the tourists beach chairs from the back of a truck, or nearby shop, and telling them that now they own the chairs. They must carry their chairs accros the street themselves but can put them anywhere they want. When they are finished, the tourists can carry the cheairs back od sell them back to the vendor.

A new way to try to circumvent the new rules on beach chair vendors.

What kind of tourists own their own (rickety old wooden) beach chairs and will carry them ( or pay an overpriced TukTuk to transport them) to and from the beach?

This is just an out and out scam that is being waved in the face of the enforcement authorities.

Just completey ban the vendors. Any Thai seen with beach chairs within 20 meters of the beach should have them confiscated.

Same with Jet Skis. Nothing but trouble, no matter how you look at it.

The solution is to make the beaches a single zone. A commerce free zone. Pepole can bring there own private umbrellas, mats chairs etc and set them up anywhere. Anyone that wants to rent mats, umbrellas, chairs etc can set up a legal business in a shop font on the esplanade founding the beach.

No jet skis, no banana boats or paraglider boats - no commerce on the beach period.

What's so hard about that.

Also there is no confusion about what is allowed and what isn't allowed. The vested interests failed in all their efforts to circumvent the new laws implemented by the army so they are trying to create anarchy on the beaches by using the tourists as a tool to try to force the authorities to bend to their will.

It's dusgusting, anyone with half a brain can see through it but it's getting played out anyway.

• Like 1