Tropical storms ravage hundreds of homes in Isaan

webfact

Tropical storms ravage hundreds of homes in NE

17-2-2558-12-17-24-wpcf_728x404.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Tropical rainstorms yesterday hit two northeastern provinces causing damages to more than 500 houses in several districts.

In Sakhon Nakhon province, topical storm lashed several villages in Art-amnuay district for over an hour Monday night, blacking out electricity and blowing away roofs of several houses.

More than 100 houses were damaged but nobody was injured.

Local authorities were out to inspect the damaged area to hand out first aids to affected people.

In Nakhon Phanom, two districts, Si Songkhram and Tha Uthen were hit by torrential rainstorms, with hundreds of homes damaged, trees and power poles flattened to the ground.

According to Bangkok Post, Severely hit were villages in Ban Kha, Thabo Songkhram, Nakham and Si Songkhram of Si Songkhram district. Big trees, advertising signboards and power poles were brought down, causing blackouts in many areas.

Five buildings at Ban Kha school, which has about 300 students, were damaged.

The school has been temporarily closed for repairs.

In Tha Uthen district, about 20 houses in tambons Tha Uthen and Chaiburi were hit by the storm blackouts and local administration officials were examining the damage and organising assistance to residents.

Sakhon Nakhon Army Circle has despatched soldiers to storm-hit villages to repair damaged houses and school buildings. Mobile medical teams were also sent to troubled areas.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tropical-storms-ravage-hundreds-homes-ne

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-17

Assistance delivered to storm-hit Nakhon Phanom
By Digital Content

14241507484506-640x390x1.jpg

NAKHON PHANOM, Feb 17 -- Local agencies have been deployed to provide assistance in two districts of Nakhon Phanom province, which was hit by a storm last night, causing the biggest damage in some five decades.

A team led by Nakhon Phanom Governor Adisak Thep-at delivered assistance to Tha Uthen and Si Songkhram districts this morning as a storm had damaged more than 500 homes there last night.

The damage is considered the most costly in the province in 50 years.

The storm also damaged five buildings aof Ban Kha School which is now closed.

Nakhon Phanom army commander Maj Gen Sonthaya Sricharoen brought mobile medic units to treat victims and deployed soldiers to repair homes and buildings in both districts.

He also set up shelters for the villagers whose houses were damaged too much to live in. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2015-02-17

Quite a ways away here in Kalasin, last night starting at 11:00 pm we had 40-50 mph gusts for 15-20 mimutes, and heavy rain for at least an hour, power out for 10 hours.

A tropical storm is a weather term for a particular type of storm, but yes, in the tropics all storms would be tropical, but not necessarily belonging to the category of storm that is a notch down from a typhoon as I understand it.

By the time it got here, whatever kind of storm it was, I don't think it was a tropical storm, heavier rain and wind than usual to be sure.

• Like 1

Check out this link for a definition of storms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone#Tropical_storm which are defined by the strength of the wind, on a scale known as the Beaufort Scale.

The scale was devised in 1805 by Rear Admiral Sir Francis Beaufort, Royal Navy.

But I don't think this can be classed as a true Tropical Storm as it was very localised. eg nothing much was reported in Buri Ram. Probably should be classed as a Tornado.

Im in Nakhon Phanom 'City' and nothing yesterday. Light rain overnight though. So Its pot luck if u catch one of these or not.

Can storms be anything other than 'tropical' here?

Sounds like tornadoes to me.

At least they didn't call them arctic blizzards.

• Like 1

Quite a ways away here in Kalasin, last night starting at 11:00 pm we had 40-50 mph gusts for 15-20 mimutes, and heavy rain for at least an hour, power out for 10 hours.

A tropical storm is a weather term for a particular type of storm, but yes, in the tropics all storms would be tropical, but not necessarily belonging to the category of storm that is a notch down from a typhoon as I understand it.

By the time it got here, whatever kind of storm it was, I don't think it was a tropical storm, heavier rain and wind than usual to be sure.

OK, thanks for that Shaun....I didnt know it was an 'official' category of storm.

What is the world coming to?, with Isaan getting buried in water, Eastern parts of Canada and USA

getting buried in snow. Alberta almost snow free in the southern half of the Province.

I guess I picked a good year to stay home. I hope the weather is nicer in

Thailand during the next Winter months.

storm lashed several villages in Art-amnuay

Art-amnuay,, i built a house very close to

Akat Amnuay, i wonder if it is the same

place, i hope and i pray that someday the

earth will open and swallow the house that

was stolen from me, and take the lazy parasite

family with it, maybe it's Buddhas way of paying

back, oh how i miss the Issan village life, not.

so sorry to hear about your stolen house and yes, the NE is notorious for bad weather and I think is the Buddha Kharma doing the equalizer. I was offer to build a house on my Thai ex-gf a couple of years ago and lucky me I declined.

storm lashed several villages in Art-amnuay

Art-amnuay,, i built a house very close to

Akat Amnuay, i wonder if it is the same

place, i hope and i pray that someday the

earth will open and swallow the house that

was stolen from me, and take the lazy parasite

family with it, maybe it's Buddhas way of paying

back, oh how i miss the Issan village life, not.

so sorry to hear about your stolen house and yes, the NE is notorious for bad weather and I think is the Buddha Kharma doing the equalizer. I was offer to build a house on my Thai ex-gf a couple of years ago and lucky me I declined.

Lucky her probably, who wants a house built on them? and where do you get your info about issan being notorious for bad weather? Compared to anywhere further south it is much better, no typhoons (only the very edge on rare occasions), only little tornadoes and the odd full blown tropical storm, no tsunamis and no earthquakes.

Many places in the world are suffering from high wind damage due to global warming nowadays. But compared to a full blown (pun intended) winter storm in the UK or a really decent typhoon in say HK or the PI, issan does not have much really bad weather. More problems with drought than anything else.

Yes, don't you know it costs money to drive round with your lights on!

I just heard the wind is blowing very strongly in Buri Ram as well as the rain................hey ho, that's another theory about Thailand <deleted>-up .

Keep safe up there.