Former PM Somchai says reconciliation must involve amnesty

Lite Beer

Former PM Somchai says reconciliation must involve amnesty

2-17-2015-9-22-32-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- All sectors of the Thai society must get involved in the search for national reconciliation and there is no need for Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha to start the talks on reconciliation with fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, said former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat on Tuesday.

However, the brother-in-law of Thaksin pointed out that restoring reconciliation was not an impossible task provided that those in the power must be sincere about the matter.

The government, said Mr Somchai, must position itself in the middle with all sectors of the society taking part in the search for reconciliation.

He noted that amnesty should be an integral part of reconciliation as there were people who were imprisoned or punished for political offences. “If reconciliation is to be realized, this (amnesty) has to be accepted,” he said.

Former Palang Prachachon party MP Suthin Klangsang, meanwhile, said that the powers-that-be now had no intention whatsoever to restore reconciliation, citing the criminal litigation being employed against former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Mr Somchai.

He suggested Genera Prayut not to get too obsessed with all the legal cases still pending against or already resolved against Mr Thaksin as the reconciliation issue is far more than the Thaksin factor.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-pm-somchai-says-reconciliation-must-involve-amnesty

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-17

Funny that Somchai should mention this idea just after the NACC announced it will file criminal charges against him in the Supreme Court for Political Office Holders.

Exactly what I had in mind! Crooks remain crooks, and cowards, cowards. Guess his house staff recently bought a lot of adult pampers...

• Like 1

They STILL want to bring that animal back after all the strife and grief it has caused? Do these people ever learn?

These people as you so eloquently put it have the right to vote for whoever they chose as it's their country .. Do you have a vote here ?

OMG, that even in such circumstances you don't even see a single ray of light! Do you have a vote here? When so, would you give your vote to crooks and criminals, even when paid for it? It's all about 'democracy' for you, isn't it, like the first 'D' in UDD I guess? Can you please get your head out of there, though an acrobatic posture, it's a disgusting one, don't you have any shame to do that in public?

• Like 2

I wonder if Somchai had a particular person in mind for the amnesty, and if the man from afar will again start posting on FB that he will be home soon.

Here is a picture of his future home, it looks quite impressive.

F702A067EB484A2787DF728E2C8DD38D.jpgklong-prem-prison.jpg

Hmm, not sure, but 'sandy' (or 'muddy', as he's in H-K at the moment) has spread the news that, he, was ready to speak with PM Prayuth...

In novels and movies, only silver bullets can put an end to a vampire's life, and hunger for blood. I have no idea which less brutal measures, in real life, could end the Shins' hunger for more power and wealth, from feasting on the nation's blood and marrow...?

Edited by bangrak
  • Like 1

No amnesty for criminals. Put them all in jail.

Especially those leading an attack on their own citizens, overthrowing elected governments in collusion with armed insurgents & tearing up the constitution.

Goh, for a moment I thought you were agitating against the current legal government in Thailand, but then the 'collusion with armed insurgents' seems to point to others. I don't even think the UDD's militants could really be called insurgents. They did attack others with grenades though.

Makes me wonder what you really try to say here?

Anyway, by the time some commission managed to define all crimes which might be deemed political, but not too criminal I fear former PM Somchai may already have served enough time and be allegeable for a pardon

Edited by rubl

They STILL want to bring that animal back after all the strife and grief it has caused? Do these people ever learn?

These people as you so eloquently put it have the right to vote for whoever they chose as it's their country .. Do you have a vote here ?

Actually, they can choose from all those who meet all requirements put to prospective MPs and Senators. The 1997, 2007 and Interim Constitution do not differ much in that.

I wonder if Somchai had a particular person in mind for the amnesty, and if the man from afar will again start posting on FB that he will be home soon.

Here is a picture of his future home, it looks quite impressive.

F702A067EB484A2787DF728E2C8DD38D.jpgklong-prem-prison.jpg

Hmm, not sure, but 'sandy' (or 'muddy', as he's in H-K at the moment) has spread the news that, he, was ready to speak with PM Prayuth...

In novels and movies, only silver bullets can put an end to a vampire's life, and hunger for blood. I have no idea which less brutal measures, in real life, could end the Shins' hunger for more power and wealth, from feasting on the nation's blood and marrow...?

I understand that the special prison for political prisoners Ms. Yingluck had build in LakSi is a bit better. Of course one needs to qualify as political prisoner. There don't seem to be many of those though and I understand also LM accused and convicted may be lodged there.

Edited by rubl

He suggested Genera Prayut not to get too obsessed with all the legal cases still pending against or already resolved against Mr Thaksin as the reconciliation issue is far more than the Thaksin factor.

Mind boggling.....The way this whole mess has unfolded from the start is do in fact from the affects of the "Thaskin factor"....

• Like 1

So how is it decided who is and is not a political prisoner ?

Is it someone who does something with a political motive in mind or as part of a political protest or something else.

For instance, as has happened, a building is burnt during a political protest and the one who set the fire is caught and imprisoned are they a political prisoner or an arsonist ?

If I shoot a politician and say I did it as an expression of political displeasure would I upon conviction and imprisonment be a political prisoner or a murderer ?

Anyway how many political prisoners are there in this country that could by any stretch of the political imagination be called political prisoners, very few I would think.

But hay did not the party that he represented and that of his wife have several years to address the plight of any political prisoners, in particular the ones who were locked up for crimes associated with the 2010 riots ?

What did they do about it in that time ?

Oh yes they put forward the amnesty bill which would have also given themselves their great leader amnesty as well as forgiving all corruption and letting the corrupt keep their ill-gotten gains.

• Like 1

Is it someone who does something with a political motive in mind or as part of a political protest or something else.

For instance, as has happened, a building is burnt during a political protest and the one who set the fire is caught and imprisoned are they a political prisoner or an arsonist ?

If I shoot a politician and say I did it as an expression of political displeasure would I upon conviction and imprisonment be a political prisoner or a murderer ?

Anyway how many political prisoners are there in this country that could by any stretch of the political imagination be called political prisoners, very few I would think.

But hay did not the party that he represented and that of his wife have several years to address the plight of any political prisoners, in particular the ones who were locked up for crimes associated with the 2010 riots ?

Oh yes they put forward the amnesty bill which would have also given themselves their great leader amnesty as well as forgiving all corruption and letting the corrupt keep their ill-gotten gains.

As far as I can make out.....probably 95% of corruption "winnings" are never returned.....Pongpat didn't fare so well recently of course......but most just go to ground and live well!

As far as I can make out.....probably 95% of corruption "winnings" are never returned.....Pongpat didn't fare so well recently of course......but most just go to ground and live well!

Would add to that, up to now.

We are seeing some improvement, with even monks coming into the headlights.

Lets hope there will be provisions in the new constitution that make it more difficult for corruption to take place and when it does for the corrupt to be brought to trial, convictions and harsh sentences given and restitution ordered.

Mr. Somchai, don't look now, but I don't think this government has any plans to really reconcile...not as long as they are fixated on putting Yingluck and every Pheu Thai and Red Shirt leader in jail. And as long as the keep whining about getting their hands on Thaksin then they are not ready to reconcile. There is so much revenge in the air you can taste it.

Mr. Somchai, don't look now, but I don't think this government has any plans to really reconcile...not as long as they are fixated on putting Yingluck and every Pheu Thai and Red Shirt leader in jail. And as long as the keep whining about getting their hands on Thaksin then they are not ready to reconcile. There is so much revenge in the air you can taste it.

"The body of a dead enemy always smells sweet." - Titus Flavius Vespasian

• Like 2