How many batteries have you had?

Goldieinkathu

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three years and a bit for a new Fiesta. First sign of trouble and had it replaced. Anything over two years seems to be a bonus in Thailand.

Looked at getting a new generic battery (Boliden?) from a battery shop but they said they needed to modify the mounting to install, so just let the Ford dealer do the service.

The A/C starts up AFTER engine start up by electric clutch, there is a delay.

I have never turned off A/C on any ride, my Merc had climate control, never touched a thing.

Like an auto trans heat is the battery killer. My tip to help a battery last longer, perhaps a pain but lift the hood when you get home, under hood temps rise before it cools after shut down. Use a mains battery charger every now and then to get stuff moving off the plates that the alternator might not do.

My tip to help a battery last longer, perhaps a pain but lift the hood when you get home, under hood temps rise before it cools after shut down.

See this regularly all over Thailand, you see it at gas stations and the like, even see Thais do the same on returning to Bkk from long roads trips back upcountry.

+1 on the 2 year rule of thumb without 'maintenance'.

I'm on my 4th battery in 8 years on a DMAX I got :

OEM Battery (don't recall the brand) = 26 months

3K brand = 36 months

GS brand = 26 months

I'm now on my first SMF (Boliden).

Trans ... my Chum smile.png ... I see that you bought a Boliden sometime in 2011 ... you have had to replace it? If so how long did it last? Did you replace it with another Boliden Silver Calcium.

My wife has just phoned a company that sells Boliden and he is saying only 12 month warranty....I see that the Bosch S4 has a 15month warranty and is 3000THB compared with 3800THB for a Boliden.

Edited by JAS21

Are not all betteries today maintenance free? About lifelength. I believe the amount of lead inside also can influence. More lead = heavier battery and more expensive. And last longer.

Also charging them 2-4 times a year would be good considering the heavy a/c use. I think no need for starting the a/c after the engine is started. This will be done automaticly by the cars intelligence electronic system.

So many different answers, I guess it's like saying how long's a piece of string.

Normally I've gone with a Ford battery but this time I got one from one of these battery shops you see around town. It was 3.200B, a bit cheaper than the Ford, so I'll see if it lasts any longer.

It's a "Boliden Power Silvertech SMF" whatever that means, certainly looks more fancy than the Ford one biggrin.png .

Ok, thanks for all the replies , this forum's a God send when you're a car dummy like me. giggle.gif

My 2012 Ranger had a bad battery from the get-go but I nursed it as I was in and out of the country a lot. When I finally replaced it, the 1-year warranty was gone. I bought the Boliden Power Silvertech SMF as a replacement as it was 75Ah and it was still good with almost 2 years use. I was tempted to move it to my new Ranger but noticed that the FoMoCo battery in the 3.2 is bigger at 70Ah versus the 65Ah in the 2.2.

As noted, heat is the battery killer here and the reason some batteries last longer in one car than another is probably down to under-hood ventilation or how quickly the engine compartment cools down. There's a shroud fitted around batteries in a lot of cars that the average Somchai may chose to throw away when doing a replacement but it's to protect the battery from excessively hot air rather than keep it warm in the cooler months. Make sure you keep it.

I am amused by the debate. Planned obselesance is the modern way. Yes, I too have had batteries last between only 2_3 years. And when they die, they die. If your vehicles starts quickly, the alternator replaces dicharge with 30 seconds and the rest of the system runs off the alternator. A faulty voltage regulator is a quick death to batteries. If you have batteries expire too quicly get the output from the alternator checked ! If the battery loses water quickly it is probably being boiled to a quick death.

Mine was a Chev , it lasted 3 years

B Quik supplied me with a mid range replacement , but it was faulty and I had a hard time making them honour the warranty

After that I have been careful with my battery , it almost always needs topping up every 2 or 3 weeks , but I have got more than 3 years out of it so far

I found that they are only marginally cheaper than home , but nowhere as good in quality

Are not all betteries today maintenance free? About lifelength. I believe the amount of lead inside also can influence. More lead = heavier battery and more expensive. And last longer.

Also charging them 2-4 times a year would be good considering the heavy a/c use. I think no need for starting the a/c after the engine is started. This will be done automaticly by the cars intelligence electronic system.

Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Certainly GS FG and 3K all have removable caps while Panasonic are sealed.

Although some on here say they top up their battery and still only get a short service life I wonder what water they use. Only put deionised water in a lead acid battery and it should be good for about 4 years. When buying from a battery shop etc. remember that you can get a discount by leaving the old battery with them, about 600 baht for mine. If not offered ASK!

I've bought top of the line and not top of the line batteries for a 2005 Fortuner. I bought three new batteries in 8 years, and the car came with a battery, Two years for a battery seems unacceptable to me, but even the higher end sealed battery lasted just over 2 years. Battery shops do not have to stick to a list price as I was told by BK battery.

Three years and a bit for a new Fiesta. First sign of trouble and had it replaced. Anything over two years seems to be a bonus in Thailand.

Looked at getting a new generic battery (Boliden?) from a battery shop but they said they needed to modify the mounting to install, so just let the Ford dealer do the service.

Coat the lead poles with petroleum jelly (vaseline) - not grease - this will counter act acid build up. If the battery is not sealed for life then top up with distilled water only and regularly charge if not used much or you only travel short distances. As posted earlier the modern batteries are light weight and are not built to last.

So we actually agree then smile.png Well maintained, reputable brand batteries will last much longer than 2 years.

Sure the heat affects them but 3 1/2 to 4 years is easily doable.

I believe maintenance free are even worse at coping with the excessive temps ?

That could be right. We bought a new Nissan pickup and the battery failed at just under 2 years. It was maintenance free and the mechanic at the battery shop asked if we wanted the same type putting back in. He said the other type lasted longer but you had to keep an eye on the fluid level. We opted for that and hopefully he will be right.

• 2 months later...

Trans ... my Chum smile.png ... I see that you bought a Boliden sometime in 2011 ... you have had to replace it? If so how long did it last? Did you replace it with another Boliden Silver Calcium.

My wife has just phoned a company that sells Boliden and he is saying only 12 month warranty....

I am in the NE and could not find a Boliden.....Soooo, Mrs.Trans had to go to BKK, I said buy a Boliden there and bring it back..........OK.............BUT, it was laid on it's side during transportation and lost a lot of it's liquid contents.......facepalm.gif ...............rolleyes.gif ................sad.png

Anyhooooooooo, I put it on the charger and fitted it, not having much hope......sad.png

It lasted 3 years with a lot of it's stuff lost, thats one year more than a Toyota brand L/A battery.

I really think it would have lasted another year or more. Sadly I had to fit a lead/acid 3K battery to replace it, BUT, I will follow my own advice this time and see what happens.....smile.png

I finally decided that it was time for a change, truck didn't like starting this morning after being parked for a few days. Eventually bought a PANASONIC-105D31L-MFfrom the local garage ... 2800thb ... bbautobattery had it for 2600thb but I though a local shop would be the best. It's a bigger battery than the original and Isuzu only stocked the original one and it would have been more money.

Original battery was 65A/Hr and new one is 90A/Hr and CCR of 755. Truck is 3yrs and 2 months old. I think it even drives faster nowwhistling.gif The guy even kept 12V on the battery terminals whilst changing so that I didn't have to re-program the 'all singing all dancing' GPS/audio/ Bluetooth etc unit

Edited by JAS21

Thanks Ace ... The problem with the V-Cross the 2012 one anyway is that you can't actually fully turn off the radio ..... seems silly as I never use it anyway ... but somehow it's ON in the background of the unit

No, my latest battery, 3K, I bought at a big hardware store about 6 months ago, I have topped it up once. It came with a box of acid water that I put in myself and charged it.

A battery loves work as long as it has a constant charge, it keeps stuff moving off the plates.

Tranny,

I saw at a large hardware the same battery I last put in, its 500B cheaper at the hardware shop.

Do these have to be put on a charger being being installed in the car?

The previous battery lasted 14 months this current one is 18 months old, thats why I have been looking around.

Many thanks.wai.gif

I am amused by the debate. Planned obselesance is the modern way. Yes, I too have had batteries last between only 2_3 years. And when they die, they die. If your vehicles starts quickly, the alternator replaces dicharge with 30 seconds and the rest of the system runs off the alternator. A faulty voltage regulator is a quick death to batteries. If you have batteries expire too quicly get the output from the alternator checked ! If the battery loses water quickly it is probably being boiled to a quick death.

Some good advice above,

and to add to that,

those that are saying to put your batteries on charge every so

often should only do so if the battery has needed the water levels topped up,

otherwise there is no point charging a fully charged battery which could also

cause more damage than anything.

No, my latest battery, 3K, I bought at a big hardware store about 6 months ago, I have topped it up once. It came with a box of acid water that I put in myself and charged it.

A battery loves work as long as it has a constant charge, it keeps stuff moving off the plates.

Most batteries now are precharged. They put the accid in, put a helppower in the sigaretlighter (so the code of the radio and electrnics are not disturbed), disconnec tthe old batterie and put the new one in. Pay start and go. I pay last time 1250THB for a 3K no maitenance 40amp (1400 - 150 (old bat)). Tuch wood, over 3 years now and only 1 time feel up a little water.

Tranny,

I saw at a large hardware the same battery I last put in, its 500B cheaper at the hardware shop.

Do these have to be put on a charger being being installed in the car?

The previous battery lasted 14 months this current one is 18 months old, thats why I have been looking around.

Many thanks.wai.gif