helping my wife in local market

In 1991 there was a restaurant in Pattaya called "Fawlty Towers" the owner always sat outside talking to his customers. One night he went behind the bar to help the girl get a bottle from the top shelf as she couldn't reach it. Next thing "Your Nicked" and it cost him a lot of money.

Similar thing happened to the owner of a second hand book shop in Pattaya.

• Like 1

I personally saw immigration police threaten to arrest my next door neighbour just for moving a washing basket in his wifes laundry shop, so he could sit down on a chair. ….

About fifteen years ago, here in Phuket, a man was arrested and deported due to carrying a sack of lemons to his wife who manned the stall in a market.

What a lovely place to live.

agree - sometimes its like living on Mars and the martians are quite hostile indeed

• Like 1

Where I live I became Tourist police volunteer.......Nooooooooooo, not a street walker...........Just on the end of a phone to help farang folk if needed.......Why did I do that, one of the reasons.............?.............smile.png

You always wanted to wear the uniform and look important?

Nope, try again........smile.png

I don't have a uniform..........w00t.gif

So are you going to share your secret or are we now playing 20 questions on TV?

Work it out your self chum........smile.png

Where I live I became Tourist police volunteer.......Nooooooooooo, not a street walker...........Just on the end of a phone to help farang folk if needed.......Why did I do that, one of the reasons.............?.............smile.png

It's the only way you get to talk to people?

I personally saw immigration police threaten to arrest my next door neighbour just for moving a washing basket in his wifes laundry shop, so he could sit down on a chair. ….

About fifteen years ago, here in Phuket, a man was arrested and deported due to carrying a sack of lemons to his wife who manned the stall in a market.

I think it's a paradise, where else can you say, "I'm sorry darling, I cannot do the chores you ask, we may get arrested."

AFAIK, it is permissible to do the usual round the house chores and work in the garden. Not likely to bother anyone. The moment you offer or are asked to help- cut your neighbor's grass you can be in a world of trouble as that is working for someone else. Many people get away with doing the kind of things that have been mentioned on this thread but it only takes one vindictive person to grass you up and you will get that knock on the door.

Perhaps someone with first hand experience can clarify whether doing maintenance on your own (the wife's )dwelling is illegal.

Could it be that behind a lot of these outrageous stories about folks getting nicked for "just getting a bottle of water for a customer" or similar, there is a bit more information gone missing? For example, maybe they rather were working there on the sly, or participating in the business above and beyond the law and the thing they got nabbed for was just the tip of the iceberg.

But I hope the laws are changed to reflect a changing world where folks from different countries intermix regularly. It's just human nature to want to help someone you care about...

• Like 1

I have been threatened with expat grasses, one is dead, the other will soon be joining him.

• Like 1

It's the only way you get to talk to people?

I get to talk to you folk every day......What more could I want..........smile.png

crazy stuff. I have heard the stories, too, but never though that much about it...when I was single. Now that I'm married the truth is starting to sink in about how unfair this law feels. Has anyone gone to the labor dept. to actually talk to them? I read that the labor dept. can issue work permits at their discretion if the requester has a legitimate reason for one. This is regardless of other criteria, from what I understand. That being said, I wouldn't want to go speak with them and in that opening the door to a lot of scrutiny.

At their discretion???? Only if you have deep pockets.

Wow - all very strange. So in Thailand, "work" is defined as any effort you put into helping another individual even if you are not compensated for it.

That's what work means. As the OED puts it, "Activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a result".

A few years ago, this subject was brought up and mentioned to the head of Immigration in Phuket.

He said that we had to be "sensible" about it. Working in your house and garden was fine. Anywhere else was considered illegal.

He is long gone, so, things maybe different.

After the tsunami, many foreign volunteers arrived and started the huge task of clearing up. Only after 90% of it was done did immigration then demand that all volunteers needed work-permits.

Thainess at work.

• Like 2

People complain when they don't enforce the law. People complain when they do.

Frankly, I think some people just like to complain.

Frankly I think you are an idiot if you believe helping ones wife to unpack or pack at a market is something that should require a WP. In Thailand laws against stupid offenses that hurt no-one are enforced if a Farang is involved because it is easy work and a good source of tea money. But laws that forbid drink driving, or burning rice fields and rubbish are rarely enforced because they mainly involve a Thai. Face it, this is a country of very bigotted people who seemingly just do not like Farangs.

They may not like farangs but if it where not for farangs they would be way back economically somewhere between Myanmar and Cambodea

Rather than hate embrace and reap the benefits Look at Japan

Or Singapore. Or Malaysia. All because of westerners.

Little known fact.....if your wife has a business and she is the sole owner....and you have been married for more than two years you can get a work permit to assist your wife......nobody wants to tell you about this but it true.....

Maybe someone should tell the Labour Office, Immigration and the Police......

• Like 1

This has likely been dealt with but a lot of replies here and in other threads to weed through....

My family and I live in a shop-house where my wife runs a retail eatery on the ground floor and we live on the other levels.

The ground floor is the only meal preparation / kitchen in the place so can I prepare my breakfast, lunch or dinner for myself or the family and then eat it at a table in the shop (our only dining area). Then can I clean up and wash my or the family's our dishes and wipe the table down?

Get my drift?......

• Like 1