helping my wife in local market

Good day all,

I am interested in helping my wife sell things in the local market. By helping I mean helping to carry the merchanside there and setting up the table. And then at the end of the evening helping her to put away the things and bring them home. I do not mean taking money from buyers. If anyone has first hand experience about this please do share. Other than that, what authority can we talk to to get this information? Should we make a trip to the Labor Office and ask what I can and can't do? We're in Chiang Mai.

Thank you.

• Like 1

crazy stuff. I have heard the stories, too, but never though that much about it...when I was single. Now that I'm married the truth is starting to sink in about how unfair this law feels. Has anyone gone to the labor dept. to actually talk to them? I read that the labor dept. can issue work permits at their discretion if the requester has a legitimate reason for one. This is regardless of other criteria, from what I understand. That being said, I wouldn't want to go speak with them and in that opening the door to a lot of scrutiny.

I personally saw immigration police threaten to arrest my next door neighbour just for moving a washing basket in his wifes laundry shop, so he could sit down on a chair. ….

About fifteen years ago, here in Phuket, a man was arrested and deported due to carrying a sack of lemons to his wife who manned the stall in a market.

What a lovely place to live.

I stayed for a while at my parent's house in a deed-restricted community. There was a nameplate above the mailbox on which the birds would perch such that the black mailbox was sh%t-encrusted. I put some computer ties with a sharpened end on the nameplate to keep the birds from alighting and the Superintendent showed up forthwith to tell me I was not allowed to make alterations to the mailbox. I said I was just trying to keep it clean. Ix-nay; the ties had to come off.

• Like 1

I have heard weird stories, too. The latest was a woman in a restaurant who was chastised for giving her dirty glass to the washer, or something of the sort. That constituted working. I wonder if there is any chance that these laws will be modified anytime...soon. I guess they really don't want foreign men marrying "their" women. I believe the law is different for a foreign woman marrying a Thai man...that may be the law about how much money is needed for a visa, I don't recall exactly.

My wife has called the labor office. No, I cannot set up the table or push the cart (that's "construction work") or sell or talk to a customer.

Ok, does anyone have any ideas about how to find a semi-reliable person to help my wife nightly in the market? Maybe a flyer at CMU or something?

You'll get some on here saying its ok to do what you suggest...but i'd be very reluctant to chance it.

I personally saw immigration police threaten to arrest my next door neighbour just for moving a washing basket in his wifes laundry shop

so he could sit down on a chair.

That said there is nothing to say you can't just sit and watch your wife work all day.

I know a bloke who did 1 night in jail for getting a customer a bottle of water from the fridge.

I personally saw immigration police threaten to arrest my next door neighbour just for moving a washing basket in his wifes laundry shop, so he could sit down on a chair. ….

About fifteen years ago, here in Phuket, a man was arrested and deported due to carrying a sack of lemons to his wife who manned the stall in a market.

People complain when they don't enforce the law. People complain when they do.

Frankly, I think some people just like to complain.

Frankly I think you are an idiot if you believe helping ones wife to unpack or pack at a market is something that should require a WP. In Thailand laws against stupid offenses that hurt no-one are enforced if a Farang is involved because it is easy work and a good source of tea money. But laws that forbid drink driving, or burning rice fields and rubbish are rarely enforced because they mainly involve a Thai. Face it, this is a country of very bigotted people who seemingly just do not like Farangs.

Nah,you got it wrong,they like money and we are suckers waiting to be milked.

• Like 2

Frankly I think you are an idiot if you believe helping ones wife to unpack or pack at a market is something that should require a WP. In Thailand laws against stupid offenses that hurt no-one are enforced if a Farang is involved because it is easy work and a good source of tea money. But laws that forbid drink driving, or burning rice fields and rubbish are rarely enforced because they mainly involve a Thai. Face it, this is a country of very bigotted people who seemingly just do not like Farangs.

Nah,you got it wrong,they like money and we are suckers waiting to be milked.

Isn't that essentially what I said when I mentioned tea money?

Where I live I became Tourist police volunteer.......Nooooooooooo, not a street walker...........Just on the end of a phone to help farang folk if needed.......Why did I do that, one of the reasons.............?.............smile.png

You always wanted to wear the uniform and look important?

• Like 2

Where I live I became Tourist police volunteer.......Nooooooooooo, not a street walker...........Just on the end of a phone to help farang folk if needed.......Why did I do that, one of the reasons.............?.............smile.png

Nope, try again........smile.png

I don't have a uniform..........w00t.gif

Edited by transam

Nope, try again........smile.png

I don't have a uniform..........w00t.gif

So are you going to share your secret or are we now playing 20 questions on TV?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And/or have too much time on their hands.

Every country has and should have laws about this subject. I've had work permits before in several countries, overall 99% the same as the Thai thinking / laws on this subject.

Some years back I heard about some Thai students in Australia working as waiters outside of the working hours etc., allowed on their student visas. They were given substantial fines and their employer fined even higher.

They may not like farangs but if it where not for farangs they would be way back economically somewhere between Myanmar and Cambodea

Rather than hate embrace and reap the benefits Look at Japan

• Like 1

I have heard weird stories, too. The latest was a woman in a restaurant who was chastised for giving her dirty glass to the washer, or something of the sort. That constituted working. I wonder if there is any chance that these laws will be modified anytime...soon. I guess they really don't want foreign men marrying "their" women. I believe the law is different for a foreign woman marrying a Thai man...that may be the law about how much money is needed for a visa, I don't recall exactly.

My wife has called the labor office. No, I cannot set up the table or push the cart (that's "construction work") or sell or talk to a customer.

Ok, does anyone have any ideas about how to find a semi-reliable person to help my wife nightly in the market? Maybe a flyer at CMU or something?