Kata Beach had a nasty stench yesterday

steelepulse

Yesterday I was out in the water, about the midway point of the beach. When coming back in, about 100 metres from shore the water started smelling like an open sewer. From there to the shoreline, the water was quite murky. Back on the beach, you could smell the stench from the onshore wind.

Driving behind Club Med later on with the windows down, you could easily smell the same odor. The only laugh I got out of it all was to see 10 lazy tuk tuk drivers sitting right next to the stench river seemingly oblivious.

Did the waste water plant stop working or get overwhelmed yesterday? I've never seen (smelled) it so bad before and to think this was a medium tide day, not a new moon or full moon high tide low tide day.

Most of what is flushed gets piped straight out. Basically tourists are swimming in crap.

Before I finally got out of hell I hadn't used the beaches in over 7 years - I just didn't appreciate the idea of paddling in an open sewer. Are the Thais ashamed? Of course not, they don't care providing the dumb tourists keep on bringing in the money.

• Like 1

Inflammatory post has been removed, and the later reply. It's clear to me that the OP was out in the water.

Actually you can be out on the water without being in the water, via kitesurfing, stand up paddling, sailing, waterskiing and wakeboarding from a shore start, being in a power boat etc., so actually no it wasn't clear and I wasn't in the water. Case closed!

I have stayed in Patong Tower at 12 floor w seaview sometimes and its clear to see how dirty the sea is just about 50 m out - look like an open drainage. Most beaches in Phuket are cesspools

Edited by Johnny S
  • Like 1

I've stayed many years in Kata, and there has always been this problem, which has grown worse over the years because of the many hotels and restaurants/ condos that have been built.Sometimes, after it rained , no one would brave the water, and I'm talking about 25 odd years ago. I went to visit my friends 2/3 years back , and spent a week on the beach there with them. One day, I came out of the water " sticky", it was the most horrible experience. I had to dash back to the hotel and have a good scrub.

I'm quite sure that if regular tests were done on the quality of sea water, Kata would fail them all, as would most of Phuket beaches. Very sad. I won't swim there any more.

• Like 1

I have stayed in Patong Tower at 12 floor w seaview sometimes and its clear to see how dirty the sea is just about 50 m out - look like an open drainage. Most beaches in Phuket are cesspools

Next time you are there, walk out front and have a look at the big storm drains that have the grates over them. Through those cement pipes flows raw sewage.

Patong Bay is often filled with raw sewage especially after a bit of rain. I can't believe how and why the tourists are so willing to go in the water. Down towards the Kalim part of the beach is the canal from which all manner of garbage and raw sewage enters the bay.

There is a reason why the local authorities do not test, nor post water quality reports. The German media did an expose a few years ago. I expect that at some point, it will happen again as everyone has forgotten.

BTW, I find that Break Point restaurant is rather decent. for dinner and The Sweet Restaurant is good for breakfast and lunch.

The massage shops on the Karlsons restaurant side are also good.

• Like 1

I once paddled a kayak with a GF in Khlong Prao, on Koh Chang, out behind Blue Lagoon, just downriver from the workers' waterside shanties.

We smelled a fetid ripeness; I saw little floaters. Lots and lots of malformed Baby Ruths ….

Before I could say anything, she screeched like a barn owl--

One end of her paddle high out of water, looking up, she froze in panic.

And down it slid like a brown oyster on teflon.

Right into her lap.

LOL - shame man... did she jump in the water to rinse IT off?? hehehe

I always find it strange when people still defend Pooket and still class it as a paradise island.When it obviously not.

I find it strange the Phuket bashers troll the Phuket forum. I don't go to the BKK forum and type how if you like living in car park basements then BKK is the place for you
  • Like 2

tit. it wouldnt be without it.

what has been amazing me lately is the number of Caucasians in thailand who arent speaking english among themselves. languages that i cant identify at all. seems the anglophiles has gone elsewhere. very rarely hear it these days. well done thailand.

Edited by koo wallety tourist

I always find it strange when people still defend Pooket and still class it as a paradise island.When it obviously not.

I find it strange the Phuket bashers troll the Phuket forum. I don't go to the BKK forum and type how if you like living in car park basements then BKK is the place for you

Whats Bkk got do with anything?

I've been in Pooket for nearly 11 years now and seen it turn into a s--thole

You must have your head up your ****if you think otherwise.

starkey_rich, for sure everyone allowed their opinions but question to you, if thats how you feel about where you live, why are you still here?

• Like 2

It's paradise. I get laid every night and drink 3 dollar beers. Where else can you do that?

It's paradise. I get laid every night and drink 3 dollar beers. Where else can you do that?

"I get laid every night and drink 3 dollar beers. Where else can you do that?" - I think you just proved SR's point. biggrin.png

starkey_rich, for sure everyone allowed their opinions but question to you, if thats how you feel about where you live, why are you still here?

Thought he'd moved to Chumpon.......