Setting up a Tenda Repeater/Router as a Repeater

Ken

I am running Windows 7 on all my computers/laptops. My main router/modem is a TP-Link Wireless G ADSL2+ connected to my TOT account. I wanted to extend the range of my router, so I purchased a new Tenda W309R+. I can do the settings of the Tenda and change wireless basic settings to be in repeater mode. I can then disconnect my Ethernet cables and I can find and connect to the Tenda Router. But I have no internet connection thru the Tenda and I can't figure out what additional settings I need. Obviously at this point I have no idea whether My TP-Link router/modem will work with Tenda. Anybody have some ideas what I might try?

I'm not tracking this. You need 1 router but not more than one. If you disabled the only router on your network you won't have internet.

You said repeater. That's done when you have a router and want to add distance. You can't have competing routers on 1 subnet, so you disable the routing ability of the second one.

The one router does the NAT translation, has the external internet routable IP address, and directs all traffic. It is connected to the internet. A repeater just forwards what the router is doing and isn't connected to the internet except through the router perhaps wirelessly.

Did that help?

Edited by NeverSure

Thanks for the reply. My main router is the TP-Link and I have internet connections thru this router, no problem. The Tenda is set up as a repeater (did this in the settings of the Tenda). I can "see" the Tenda in available wireless connections and I can connect to the Tenda wirelessly. But there is no internet connection on the computer that I am now connected to the Tenda. Does that explain a little better?

You have changed the Tenda mode to repeater. Normally that will automatically deactivate all its routing/NAT functions and make it act as a passthrough device.

Part of the setup for that should be finding the wifi network of the TP-Link and connecting to it using the login and password, which you will know.

Apart from that it should be plain sailing and it sounds as though you have just omitted the last part.

I used a Tenda in repeater mode once and it worked OK though repeaters have some intrinsic faults that can never be overcome.

Another option (possibly more robust) would be to run an ethernet cable from the TP-Link to the Tenda and put the Tenda into access point mode, assuming it has one.

Not really. I don't get the part about being connected to the Tenda. You should be connected to the router and the Tenda should be seamlessly enhancing the signal if it's place in a good spot.

Is your router connected to the internet? Be sure it is and connect to it. The repeater only gives you the signal to connect to the router.

Edit. The repeater has to be joined to the network as in having the user/pass as do all other nodes. Just because you can see it on the network doesn't mean it can connect. You can probably also see your neighbors' routers but that doesn't help.

Edited by NeverSure

One more thing. It's important to connect "from the wall out." In other words when you start up or reboot the network, you must start the router first. Let it get booted and get the external IP from the ISP. It's going to assign internal IPs to all nodes in your subnet (your stuff in your home including computers, wireless printer, repeater, etc.)

If you don't boot the router first the other nodes may assign themselves a default IP and they won't see the router. Boot the router, then repeater, then all else, always.

Cheers.

You will be using the Tenda as a normal WLAN input to your internet connected TP-Link from my understanding and just using the Wi-Fi function to expand your network. As you see the Wi-Fi that function is operating so must be the device is not being seen by your TP-Link and getting numbers assigned correctly - you do have the green light on the TP-Link?

Have you watched this video

There is much information on Google for setting up another router/Wi-Fi as a remote option and all are about the same process so make sure the access IP address is different for each when you set up directly from your computer LAN cable and do as said for other items. It can be hit and miss so try something else if first thing does not work.

You have changed the Tenda mode to repeater. Normally that will automatically deactivate all its routing/NAT functions and make it act as a passthrough device.

Part of the setup for that should be finding the wifi network of the TP-Link and connecting to it using the login and password, which you will know.

Apart from that it should be plain sailing and it sounds as though you have just omitted the last part.

I used a Tenda in repeater mode once and it worked OK though repeaters have some intrinsic faults that can never be overcome.

Another option (possibly more robust) would be to run an ethernet cable from the TP-Link to the Tenda and put the Tenda into access point mode, assuming it has one.

Thanks for the info. I didn't really omit the part, but when doing the scan, it found my TP-Link router, I selected it, and then I gave it the wrong password. I thought it was asking for a new one, but obviously it wanted the TP-Link password. After doing that I have disconnected all Ethernet cables from the Tenda and I can now connect to the internet thru the Tenda working as a repeater. It does work. Thank you.

Edited by Ken

Thanks all for the replies. It now works. Yes loburi3, I had watched that video. One problem with that video it is using two Tenda's, whereas I am using a TP-Link and a Tenda. Some good info guys, thanks.

Thanks for the info. I didn't really omit the part, but when doing the scan, it found my TP-Link router, I selected it, and then I gave it the wrong password. I thought it was asking for a new one, but obviously it wanted the TP-Link password.

smile.png Most people have done that but few admit it!

Glad you got it working.

• Like 2