PM orders evictions of squatters from Bangkok canals

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to evict squatters living on nine major Bangkok canals.

A BMA source said Prayut has instructed the BMA to take charge of the operations to put the nine canals in order to facilitate rainwater and upstream floodwater drainage to prevent Bangkok flooding and alleviate flooding in upper provinces.

The nine canals are Khlong Prem Prachakorn, Khlong Bang Khen, Khlong Lard Prao, Khlong Samwa, Khlong Buakhao, Khlong Phraya Rajamotri, Khlong Bang Sue, Khlong Prawet Burirom and Khlong Phrakhanong.

The source said Prayut wants the nine canals to be effectively used for water drainage to save Bangkok from massive flooding and alleviate northern flooding like what happened in 2011. The canals are meant for draining water from Khlong Song in Pathum Thani to other Bangkok canals to the flood tunnel so that the floodwaters from upper provinces could flow to the sea fast.

The eviction will start on Khlong Lard Prao. The source said more than 200 families with over 10,000 members are encroaching on the Lard Prao canal. Their houses and garbage littered by them are blocking the flow of water, preventing the canal from flowing effectively to the flood tunnel.

The government has allocated a budget to develop the Lard Prao canal and the BMA will cooperate with other government agencies concerned to start the project immediately.

The source said the banks that have no squatters can be developed right away. In the meantime, the BMA will have to negotiate with the squatters to move out.

The Social Development and Human Security Ministry, the National Housing Authority, the Treasury Department and the Land Department will cooperate in finding new living places for the squatters, the source added.

This will bring happiness to a lot of people.. ;)

Yes 100%. I am very happy, because my house was badly flooded in 2012 - and I believe that more than 1 mill. people who were affected by the floods will be happy as well. You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs. Prayuth is not stupid, he has weighed the pro's and cons, and probably the statistics have shown he will get more praise than stick for this (especially because "stick" is not allowed).

• Like 2

And then order 25 less chinese crap-buses and buy some good passenger boats instead. Bangkok will become the new Venice of Asia. Build nice shaded docking stations and good benches and let the cardrivers pay for that. The boats can transport people for free.

Edited by Thian
  • Like 2

Just about time. The 2011 was a life changing experience for many of us.

I am looking forward to a big cleanup and hope the "river people" will get help in

finding a suitable low-cost accommodation and in adapting to the changes.

Many of them only know how to live the river life.

Wish them well

maybe if they didnt throw there rubbish in the water it wouldnt be blocked and they would be left alone...a new little venice would be great for tourists/locals to have a nice evening stroll by a clean river...time to get them out ...

And then order 25 less chinese crap-buses and buy some good passenger boats instead. Bangkok will become the new Venice of Asia. Build nice shaded docking stations and good benches and let the cardrivers pay for that. The boats can transport people for free.

Would free include non - Thais ?

"The source said the banks that have no squatters can be developed right away."

So, where there is no apparent "blocking the flow of water, preventing the canal from flowing effectively to the flood tunnel", the development commences.

Development of what?

Seems to be other plans afoot.

Why not just say it?

Reminds me of the first time a friend took me on a canal boat trip and I was commenting, they should develop the canals for commerce.

Restaurants and the like.

whistling.gif