Motorbike Rear Lights

We just went on quite a long tour. If I had 100B for every bike we encountered in 5 days without a functioning rear light I would be a millionaire. There is clearly a fundamental design fault on all bikes when it comes to rear lights. OK I know there are decrepit old machines on the road. Surely not above the wit of Honda/Yamaha/Suziki etc to come up with a rear light design that functions? Oh and we drove from Korat to Khon Khaen at 18.30. Again if I had 100B for every driver cannot even turn on the side lights in the pitch dark .........Maybe why Issan is in Conflagration Mode...Don't need road lights as we have bonfires?

• Like 2

laolover

You are SO right.

I often view the workers coming out of a famous and very large AUTO PARTS manufacturer. About a thousand bikes coming out at the end of the shift. About 1 in 3 bikes has no back light. It annoys me, I must say.

I know that lights (i.e. bulbs) do go after a while. There must be a culture of back lights don't count but generally head lights do count. You have 2 chances with the head light because there are 2 filaments (dip and full beam) I believe. So Thais don't change the rear bulb when it goes but will change the head light bulb.

However a friend of mine has an alternative theory which initially to me appeared far-fetched. He reckons that the Thais remove the back bulb in order to save petrol. I am beginning to think he may be on to something.

Whichever is correct, the current situation is very stupid and dangerous and I wish the police would do something about it. They won't.

We just went on quite a long tour. If I had 100B for every bike we encountered in 5 days without a functioning rear light I would be a millionaire. There is clearly a fundamental design fault on all bikes when it comes to rear lights. OK I know there are decrepit old machines on the road. Surely not above the wit of Honda/Yamaha/Suziki etc to come up with a rear light design that functions? Oh and we drove from Korat to Khon Khaen at 18.30. Again if I had 100B for every driver cannot even turn on the side lights in the pitch dark .........Maybe why Issan is in Conflagration Mode...Don't need road lights as we have bonfires?

Only the rear light? Come on, just drive around when it's dark sometime. There are a lot of people drving around without lights at all, and not only motorbikes.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by dutchisaan

they have come up with a rear light that works, but it requires a bulb and that bulb has to have an unbroken filament, maybe with led bulbs becoming more popular we will see more bikes with functioning rear marker lamps

This evening a new moped with red plates in front of me, without rear light. My guess is that they just remove it to make the ride more exiting, like the one I saw yesterday that had his headlight colored red and his tail light clear.

TWO POSTS REMOVED

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.