Over the counter money withdrawal at Bank using Overseas Debit Card and Passport

Has anyone had any experience withdrawing money over the counter at a bank using an overseas Debit Card and Passport. Wonder if all banks in Thailand will do this. Also, if all branches of a particular bank will do it.

Aparently it is possible to do this with any debit card. e.g. Visa/Mastercard. Also, no thai bank ATM charge for making a withdrawal like this. Are there any fees by the home bank for making an over the counter cash withdrawal.

There is a related topic here.

They will not accept it now - the thread I was referring to is on page 4 of this forum

Do you mean the post titled: Paying by Debit/Credit Card - fixed exchange loading

Found at: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/803611-paying-by-debitcredit-card-fixed-exchange-loading/

In that post Pib has mentioned that cash advances with a credit card IS POSSIBLE without any fees, with certain credit cards. But for Debit cards, I have not seen any posts recently (say late 2014 or beginning of 2015) where someone has said, "yes" I was able to with X bank in Thailand (Actually, I may have seen one post where a member has said if we are persistent..like nidieunimaitre also says). In the link I included originally with this post the member is saying we should be able to use over the counter withdrawals, so there will be no ATM fee.

The other link on TV on this topic I found is from 2013, where there is mention that certain banks/branches where they were able to and that it depends on the staff member you ask. But it dosen't seem possible without a good excuse. In my personal experience, the bank staff's immediate reaction is to point towards the ATM.

Edited by meltingpot2015

They will not accept it now - the thread I was referring to is on page 4 of this forum

Do you mean the post titled: Paying by Debit/Credit Card - fixed exchange loading

Found at: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/803611-paying-by-debitcredit-card-fixed-exchange-loading/

In that post Pib has mentioned that cash advances with a credit card IS POSSIBLE without any fees, with certain credit cards. But for Debit cards, I have not seen any posts recently (say late 2014 or beginning of 2015) where someone has said, "yes" I was able to with X bank in Thailand (Actually, I may have seen one post where a member has said if we are persistent..like nidieunimaitre also says). In the link I included originally with this post the member is saying we should be able to use over the counter withdrawals, so there will be no ATM fee.

The other link on TV on this topic I found is from 2013, where there is mention that certain banks/branches where they were able to and that it depends on the staff member you ask. But it dosen't seem possible without a good excuse. In my personal experience, the bank staff's immediate reaction is to point towards the ATM.

No - the thread 'UK Debit Visa Card Money withdrawal from SCB Thailand' on page 4 on this forum.

I can't speak for debit cards, but approx monthly for over a year I've been using a no foreign transaction fee and no cash advance fee U.S. credit card (and I pay-off the advance same day to avoid any interest charge) at a Bangkok Bank branch in western Bangkok to withdraw up to $2,000 equivalent in baht (around Bt60-65K). When I first tried the branch over a year ago they would not accept a debit card...just point you to their ATM...but gladly accept a credit card. I haven't asked or tried since with some of my no foreign transaction fee debit cards because I can only get $1,000 equivalent in baht per day with any of these cards.

And just last month I tried using my credit card for a counter withdrawal in a new Krungsri Bank branch in a nearby mall and they happily did it...I didn't ask about using a debit card because I just use to using my credit card now since I can get twice the amount compared to my debit card.

I haven't tried any other branches simply because these two branches are the closest to me in two nearby malls I visit frequently. Now if a branch is a mini-branch like common in many malls (i.e., only 2 or 3 clerks/desks serving customers) they may not accomplish counter transactions for debit or credit cards because they don't have the Point of Service (POS) machines to process your card....they are not setup to provide a full range of banking services. Both the Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank branches I use in the two malls are full service branches with 6 to 12 tellers/desks to handle customers. In the same mall where this Krungsri Branch there is also a Bangkok Bank branch with only two tellers directly across from the Krungsri branch, I tried that Bangkok Bank branch a couple of months ago with my credit card and they immediately said no (the clerk and manager)....and said I must go to a full service branch.

Now I don't really know if it makes a difference in how receptive a branch is during a counter withdrawal, but I have Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank accounts and always have the counter withdrawal directly deposited into my account with them in a combo transaction....then if I need any immediate cash I just got get it from their ATMs using my Bangkok/Krungsri bank debit card. But if I had to say if having an account makes a difference I would say it makes little difference without going into detail why I feel that way which is largely based on the initial reaction from the teller when asking for a counter withdrawal.

Now I will say without doing any search I'm pretty sure I've seen recent posts of folks successfully using their debit cards for counter withdrawals, but I think most of them were in farang/tourist heavily areas of Thailand...out in the sticks the banks may not be as receptive. Be sure to take your passport when attempting the transaction. No fees associated with the counter withdrawal at either branch and I get the full Visa exchange rate.

Some may wonder why the branches do this service without an upfront fee. Well, they still collect a fee in the form of a card network "interchange" fee from your home country bank, not to be confused with any foreign transaction fee or cash advance fee your card-issuing bank may apply...or even the approx 1% Visa/Mastercard currency exchange fee. No, this interchange fee is purely between the card-issuing bank and local processing bank...and your card-issuing bank does not pass this fee along to you although they may make-up for it by charging your a foreign transaction of X-percent unless you have a no foreign transaction fee card. See the Visa Interchange fee table below for cash disbursement transactions...expect the Mastercard cash disbursement interchange fee is very, very similar. That interchange fee the bank gets amount to approx $1.75 + 0.33% of amount withdrawal...so a Bt60,000 counter withdrawal still earns the Thai bank approx Bt60 (the $1.75) plus Bt198 (the 0.33%) for a total of Bt258....see, the banksters are still getting a fee even when you are not charged a fee. And just to repeat, don't confuse an "interchange" fee which is purely between the two banks with the no foreign transaction/cash advance fees your card-issuing bank probably does charge you unless you have a no foreign transaction/cash advance fee card. For a cash withdrawal the local processing bank gets an interchange fee; for a purchase transaction the card-issuing bank get an interchange fee.. Fees---food for banksters....yea, I know, everybody has to eat to survive, but overeating just makes banksters fat and hungry for more fees to improve their growth rate and stock prices...enough of a rant...I'm done.

Interchange Fees for ATM or Manual (i.e., counter) Withdrawal

post-55970-0-35933100-1425524157_thumb.j

• Like 1

I withdrew cash, over the counter, at a Bangkok Bank branch yesterday 4/3/2015 (shopping center branch) using a UK Visa DEBIT card. I have been withdrawing cash, about once a month, at the same branch for a couple of years, never any problem.

I withdrew cash, over the counter, at a Bangkok Bank branch yesterday 4/3/2015 (shopping center branch) using a UK Visa DEBIT card. I have been withdrawing cash, about once a month, at the same branch for a couple of years, never any problem.

How much did you withdraw? If you look at the thread I mentioned in my earlier post 'large transactions' have not been allowed. Includuing the BB.

I do this routinely. My Visa debit card is on my Schwab High Yield Investor Checking Account ( Yes, that's right DEBIT CARD). I take the over-the-counter cash advances at TMB Bank in Phitsanulok. They know me and are used to doing it. Since there is no fee for the bank, I ALWAYS deposit the money to my TMB account as an incentive. No fees on either end and you get the Visa International exchange rate. This is absolutely the cheapest way to move money.

Now there may be "invisible fees," as described by Pib, but since I never see them and get the best possible exchange rate I can get anywhere, I frankly don't give a Ƨhit.

I have taken such cash advances for up to 500,000 at a pop. No wires, no fees no monkey business with the exchange rate and no delay. I cannot think of why a bank would balk at a large transaction, if you are planning to make the deposit with them. But, then, this IS Thailand -- land of no thinking.

I tried it at small branch of Bangkok Bank once. they said they did not have the equipment and directed me to the main branch. I went to the main branch, where they willing to do it, but were having problems with their equipment or network. Finally they told me the Visa System was down. Yeah right. I trotted over to TMB Bank and got my money.

Also, I don't do counter transactions for small amounts like 20,000 baht, which are best handled at an ATM. But with amounts of 50-100,000 baht and up, it is kind of silly for a clerk to point you to an ATM, which has a limit far lower than that.

Thai banks are fickle though. What a clerk at one branch says can't be done, is not problem at a different branch of the same bank. Typically, if the clerk doesn't know how to do something, rather than admitting that he or she is an incompetent aƧƧwipe, they say it can't be done. So just try another branch and keep going until you find somebody who can find his/her aƧƧ with both hands. They are out there.

By the way, with regard to daily limits on debit cards, I like to keep a low limit on my Schwab debit card to limit the potential for fraud. When I want to make a large over-the-counter cash advance transaction, I call Schwab's international toll free number (001-800-1165-6066-8) from my mobile phone, and ask them to raise the daily limit until midnight of that day (in the US) for an over-the-counter cash advance in Thailand. They raise it real time, I make the transaction, then, at midnight (in the US), the limit automatically drops back to what it was. With Schwab, daily limits are not an impediment. I cannot speak for other banks.

I'm in Phitsanulok, which is NOT a big tourist area. Seems pretty much out in the sticks to me. I also never bring my passport. My Thai driver license suffices.

Some may wonder why the branches do this service without an upfront fee. Well, they still collect a fee in the form of a card network "interchange" fee from your home country bank, not to be confused with any foreign transaction fee or cash advance fee your card-issuing bank may apply...or even the approx 1% Visa/Mastercard currency exchange fee. No, this interchange fee is purely between the card-issuing bank and local processing bank...and your card-issuing bank does not pass this fee along to you although they may make-up for it by charging your a foreign transaction of X-percent unless you have a no foreign transaction fee card. See the Visa Interchange fee table below for cash disbursement transactions...expect the Mastercard cash disbursement interchange fee is very, very similar. That interchange fee the bank gets amount to approx $1.75 + 0.33% of amount withdrawal...so a Bt60,000 counter withdrawal still earns the Thai bank approx Bt60 (the $1.75) plus Bt198 (the 0.33%) for a total of Bt258....see, the banksters are still getting a fee even when you are not charged a fee. And just to repeat, don't confuse an "interchange" fee which is purely between the two banks with the no foreign transaction/cash advance fees your card-issuing bank probably does charge you unless you have a no foreign transaction/cash advance fee card. For a cash withdrawal the local processing bank gets an interchange fee; for a purchase transaction the card-issuing bank get an interchange fee.. Fees---food for banksters....yea, I know, everybody has to eat to survive, but overeating just makes banksters fat and hungry for more fees to improve their growth rate and stock prices...enough of a rant...I'm done.

Pib: First of all congratulations for getting it right with the Interchange fees and how they flow - for cash from the Issuing (cardholder home country) bank to the Acquiring (ATM / cash providing) bank and for retail just the other way round... have not seen many people with getting that right.

Now of course you can call those people "banksters"... but did you ever think about why those fees exist?

• First of all, VISA / MasterCard / any brand needs money for the maintenance of the networks through which the transactions are cleared, money for the settlement of funds between the banks, money for paying the staff... that is pretty expensive and the networks are upgraded twice a year with new features, capacity extention, security features etc etc.
  • Second, cash handling is the most expensive part of a banks business (and also for every shop), that is why everybody would love to have cashless societies... and handling cash over the counter is most expensive because of the staff involved checking passports etc, ATM's must be maintaned and filled, that is why cash interchange goes to the cash handling (acquiring) bank.
  • third, the Issuing (cardolder home country) bank does actually lend you money on each and every transaction (credit cards only), does handle your account... and as you mentioned, some banks do it for free (no cash advance fees, no hidden fees etc.) AND they have to pay the interchange fees too... so calling your issuing bank "banksters" is pretty... well, you know what I mean

Again, yes, bank fees sometimes can be outrageous, but not all banks have the same and specially on Interchange, it is NOT the Thai bank that decides about the rates, they are given by the Card Schemes.

How much did you withdraw? If you look at the thread I mentioned in my earlier post 'large transactions' have not been allowed. Includuing the BB.

I usually withdraw around 10,000 baht each time with no problems at Bangkok Bank. On the same subject, I sent an email to SCB regarding using the 'over the counter' service at their branches and got the following reply:-

'Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in our services and so sorry if we got back to you so late.

Please be informed our SCB accepted foreign card to cash the money over the counter only credit card.

This is due to bank regulation.

Best Regards,

Wisa Teppruek'

SCB Easy Call Center

So, "due to bank regulation" SCB will only allow cash over the counter using a credit card but, at the moment, Bangkok Bank will allow the use of Debit cards, at least for smaller amounts of money. I suppose it should also be said that 'This is Thailand', one branch of a bank may offer a service but another branch, of the very same bank, may not be willing to provide it.

Such a policy is geared to force/steer debit card usage in their ATM in order to pull-in the Bt180 foriegn card fee since a counter withdrawal does not incur the fee. And since the great majority of credit cards incur a 3% cash advance fee with high interest which immediately begins to accumulate that is usually enough to stop most people from using the credit card to get money especially if they have a debit card with money in their account. Plus the bank processing the cash withdrawal earns a nice interchange fee for the credit card manual cash disbursement. The bank reg/policy is purely "maximize fee profit" driven.

@WheresWaldo:

By the way, with regard to daily limits on debit cards, I like to keep a low limit on my Schwab debit card to limit the potential for fraud. When I want to make a large over-the-counter cash advance transaction, I call Schwab's international toll free number (001-800-1165-6066-8) from my mobile phone, and ask them to raise the daily limit until midnight of that day (in the US) for an over-the-counter cash advance in Thailand. They raise it real time, I make the transaction, then, at midnight (in the US), the limit automatically drops back to what it was. With Schwab, daily limits are not an impediment. I cannot speak for other banks.

I always felt that lifting of the daily limit was possible if we called the bank in advance and passed security checks. Recently I needed to withdraw money to put down a deposit for a rental property. Called the Halifax Bank from overseas, went through all the security checks under the sun (and passed them of course, because I am the actual cardholder) only to be told "No, we cannot lift the daily limit". I was only asking for it to be lifted by 100 GBP (about 5000 THB, so the total daily withdrawal would have been about 20,000 THB), but the staff member (probably call centre) was adamant that it could not be lifted beyond the current limit 300 GPB. She also told me I could not make overseas Over the counter withdrawals with my Visa Debit card, as over the counter withdrawals could only be made "at a Halifax branch" (presumably there are no Halifax Branches overseas).

So, I made two ATM pulls instead of one over the counter transaction (Cant imagine that its not allowed by the card..Its a Visa card for crying out loud). Also, didn't quite have the time to go from Bank to Bank asking for an over the counter withdrawal -- it was before seeing all the new posts here.

Summary: Paid 2x ATM transaction fees (with all the assorted fees..non-sterling transaction fee and non-sterling cash fee). Slight delay in putting down the deposit for the rental property + inconvenience in visiting the ATM twice in two days.

For the bank: High security (daily limit not lifted -- not at all) + More fees..

Edited by meltingpot2015

@WheresWaldo:

I always felt that lifting of the daily limit was possible if we called the bank in advance and passed security checks. Recently I needed to withdraw money to put down a deposit for a rental property. Called the Halifax Bank from overseas, went through all the security checks under the sun (and passed them of course, because I am the actual cardholder) only to be told "No, we cannot lift the daily limit". I was only asking for it to be lifted by 100 GBP (about 5000 THB, so the total daily withdrawal would have been about 20,000 THB), but the staff member (probably call centre) was adamant that it could not be lifted beyond the current limit 300 GPB. She also told me I could not make overseas Over the counter withdrawals with my Visa Debit card, as over the counter withdrawals could only be made "at a Halifax branch" (presumably there are no Halifax Branches overseas).

So, I made two ATM pulls instead of one over the counter transaction (Cant imagine that its not allowed by the card..Its a Visa card for crying out loud). Also, didn't quite have the time to go from Bank to Bank asking for an over the counter withdrawal -- it was before seeing all the new posts here.

Summary: Paid 2x ATM transaction fees (with all the assorted fees..non-sterling transaction fee and non-sterling cash fee). Slight delay in putting down the deposit for the rental property + inconvenience in visiting the ATM twice in two days.

For the bank: High security (daily limit not lifted -- not at all) + More fees..

It's bank policy. Take control over your life; get a Schwab account.

@WheresWaldo:

He would have to pay to change his money from £ to US$. Enough of the silly ideas.

@WheresWaldo:

If you are with the Halifax Bank, obtain a Halifax Clarity CC.

@WheresWaldo:

He would have to pay to change his money from £ to US$. Enough of the silly ideas.

That's nonsense, why would he pay to change £ to $, then $ to ThB? Schwab has London office. Before calling something silly and giving bad advice, you should do your homework.

@WheresWaldo:

That's nonsense, why would he pay to change £[/size] to $, then $ to ThB? Schwab has London office. Before calling something silly and giving bad advice, you should do your homework.

It's a US$ account, so he would have to change £ into US$. Show me otherwise, instead of just babbling on about a London office.

Explain to the OP as to how to open an account in Pounds at the London office.

@Jui-Jitsu:

So we have the halifax clarity for a no overseas transaction fee CREDIT Card. Over the counter transactions would be "Free". Not ATM transactions, as they (Halifax) do not refund any foreign bank levied ATM fees.

For UK pps, It's just this CREDIT card available for no fee cash withdrawals (over the counter). I mean a card with no annual fee or any other conditions. The Santander Zero card is no longer issued. Saga, Post Office and Nationwide credit cards all charge a fee for cash withdrawals. Metro Bank credit card is only fee-less within Europe.

As for debit cards, there is the N&P Debit Card. Same story with that card. No Fees for overseas over the counter cash withdrawals, but potential fee by overseas bank for ATM use.

So, just one card on offer for each of these categories, CREDIT/DEBIT card. Surely, this is something worth complaining about.

Edited by meltingpot2015

@Jui-Jitsu:

So we have the halifax clarity for a no overseas transaction fee CREDIT Card. Over the counter transactions would be "Free". Not ATM transactions, as they (Halifax) do not refund any foreign bank levied ATM fees.

For UK pps, It's just this CREDIT card available for no fee cash withdrawals (over the counter). I mean a card with no annual fee or any other conditions. The Santander Zero card is no longer issued. Saga, Post Office and Nationwide credit cards all charge a fee for cash withdrawals. Metro Bank credit card is only fee-less within Europe.

As for debit cards, there is the N&P Debit Card. Same story with that card. No Fees for overseas over the counter cash withdrawals, but potential fee by overseas bank for ATM use.

So, just one card on offer for each of these categories, CREDIT/DEBIT card. Surely, this is something worth complaining about.

Are you off your head? If you are a woman, you have surely lost all credibility with that ludicrous post. You have options of both a credit card and a debit card, but you are still whinging. Apart from anything else, there are two other currently issued cards available. So you have at least four options. They have no control over the scamming Thailand ATM system....so it's up to you to avoid them, rather than creating useless threads, one after the other.

You have options, utilise them or don't...but please, stop the whining.

Do you mind toning it down with the insults. I have only just started using this site. It dosen't seem very friendly when those with 1000's of previous posts start saying things like "are you off your head". Please save the insults to someone who deserves it. There are hundreds of options to let off steam.

there are two other currently issued cards available

- The halifax clarity is the only card without an annual fee, by the looks of it. The other cards it is tough to tell. Are you really suggesting the other cards come even close to what the halifax clarity offers.

Remember, count to 10 everytime you get angry.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Do you mind toning it down with the insults. I have only just started using this site. It dosen't seem very friendly when those with 1000's of previous posts start saying things like "are you off your head". Please save the insults to someone who deserves it. There are hundreds of options to let off steam.

- The halifax clarity is the only card without an annual fee, by the looks of it. The other cards it is tough to tell. Are you really suggesting the other cards come even close to what the halifax clarity offers.

I'm not angry, but you appear to be an annoying timewaster. Have you even applied for a Clarity card or are you here to just rabbit on about nothing?

What exactly is it that you are trying to achieve? All you seem to be doing is whinging.

The title of the thread is Over the counter money withdrawal at Bank using Overseas Debit Card and Passport.... So now you have the information that you need, you start complaining that there are only two options(when there are at least four). You should count yourself lucky that there are any. But instead of being grateful for small mercies, you babble on about complaining that there are just two options.

What use it that to anyone?? Do you think that the banks will suddenly begin offering the products that you want because of your incessant whinging?

Seriously, save us the heartache. Do something positive, instead of creating useless threads. Apply for the Clarity.

@Jui-Jitsu:

Are you off your head? If you are a woman, you have surely lost all credibility with that ludicrous post. You have options of both a credit card and a debit card, but you are still whinging. Apart from anything else, there are two other currently issued cards available. So you have at least four options. They have no control over the scamming Thailand ATM system....so it's up to you to avoid them, rather than creating useless threads, one after the other.

You have options, utilise them or don't...but please, stop the whining.

Jui-Jitsu, with your unnecessarily rude and ugly tone, you personify everything that stinks about Thai Visa. If you can't write nicely, why don't you just stop and crawl back into your hole?

Edited by WheresWaldo
  • Like 1

Welcome to Thai Visa, Melting Pot. But you'd better get used to the Jui-Jitsus. Unfortunately, this forum is plagued by his kind. I suspect they have nothing better to do in their lives but stay up all night drinking and cruising Internet forums and flaming the legitimate posters. It's a damn shame, but is what it is. Hope you get the card worked out.