Australian mum appeals for funds to bring 'trapped' father home from Thailand hospital

webfact

Why would a 71 year old come to Bangkok for? If going to bars, I would bet my bottom dollar it was the Pink Pussy bar or equivalent. If he wanted a drink, he'd go down the local pub in Oz. It's not for any of us to judge if it is right or wrong for someone that age to go after young bargirls but I certainly hope I'll not be doing the Bangkok bar thing when I'm in my twilight years. Apologies if he came to Bangkok to play in a bar's dominoes league.

Well you appear to be in the minority of posters here seeing nothing untoward with someone wanting to spend their 'twilight years' getting rat4rsed and spending their old age pensions on up country farm girls a quarter or more their age. But to be expected on this forum.

Why would a 71 year old come to Bangkok for? If going to bars, I would bet my bottom dollar it was the Pink Pussy bar or equivalent. If he wanted a drink, he'd go down the local pub in Oz. It's not for any of us to judge if it is right or wrong for someone that age to go after young bargirls but I certainly hope I'll not be doing the Bangkok bar thing when I'm in my twilight years. Apologies if he came to Bangkok to play in a bar's dominoes league.

Well you appear to be in the minority of posters here seeing nothing untoward with someone wanting to spend their 'twilight years' getting rat4rsed and spending their old age pensions on up country farm girls a quarter or more their age. But to be expected on this forum.

well here is thing, is he one of your relatives ? your cash he is spending ? if not, nothing to do you then is it ?

one supposes I could take a look in your life and start getting all judgmental, self-righteous ?

usually the one who bleat the loudest are the ones most guilty of what they accusing other people of doing

He is 71 and he travels without insurance! Now that is what I call foolish!

It is difficult to find travel insurance if over 70.

My mum is 77. She travels quite a lot. She has no issues getting insurance.

whybother giving us this information unless you also tell us who the insurance company is.

• Like 1

Hope they get the funds. If you can't afford travel Ins . In my mind you can't afford to travel . I'm 70 Travel ins Direct cover me worldwide travel Aud

$420.00 per year 12 months cover

how can you get insurance cover for $420 if your 70yrs old ?

thanks.wai2.gif

How do you get cover for 12 months for $420 .... ?

Thanks in advance ..

I call this story bunch of bull....................now get the *&^%out of here!......Try the Thai red cross, Aussie Red cross etc. You haven't uses all of the resources available....before start begging for money lame brain! $12,000 is more than enough to get both of you out of Thailand and back home. Buy a cheap wheelchair and push it on the plane! stupid woman!!!!

You off your medication again Danny boy?

• Like 1

Nothing in OZ papers and nothing on TV, maybe they have a Thai black out in force , seriously nothing mentioned in OZ ???coffee1.gif

. The guys name is Malcom, retired schoolteacher ( 30 years in Darwin) he's lived in Thai since 2002 and he raised the daughter in Oz on his own for many years after his ex Thai wife abandoned her.

The chap has lived here since 2002 so undoubtably an aged pension recipient,unless he travels home to Oz regularly he would not be eligable for travel insurance and medical insurance is not available to 70 year olds.

• Like 1

Dear Susan Monaghan,

You need to contact the media organisation office in Australia and ask them to cover your plight / story on one of the television networks over there.

They have the resources and any good coverage will certainly guarantee enough could be raised to get your father repatriated to Adelaide.

wai2.gif

These stories are just not news any more...

Dear Susan Monaghan,

You need to contact the media organisation office in Australia and ask them to cover your plight / story on one of the television networks over there.

They have the resources and any good coverage will certainly guarantee enough could be raised to get your father repatriated to Adelaide.

wai2.gif

There's an article in the Northern Territory News about Malcoms plight, a lot of his ex students have donated, and from what I have heard from friends who knew him in Darwin he is a warm hearted, likeable guy.

I made a wee donation. You never know. Even with all the best laid plans made by man, due to circumstances out of our control, it could be us that needs a leg up one day.

Don't expect to get it from many of the miserable baskets on here, if most [but not all] of the posters on here saw you dying in the gutter they would not give a damn or a penny.

Sad isn't it?

• Like 1

The chap has lived here since 2002 so undoubtably an aged pension recipient,unless he travels home to Oz regularly he would not be eligable for travel insurance and medical insurance is not available to 70 year olds.

If I ever have to choose between living in Thailand or medical care back home, my insurance will consist of a razor blade. The thought of being stuck in an old folks facility back home is enough to make death the better option.

However, in the OP's case, if the hospital took him without checking he had insurance, he is their problem, and if they want him gone, they should pay.

Does anyone know what would happen in the event that one is unable to pay for hospital care, and one is seriously injured/ sick?

I made a wee donation. You never know. Even with all the best laid plans made by man, due to circumstances out of our control, it could be us that needs a leg up one day.

Don't expect to get it from many of the miserable baskets on here, if most [but not all] of the posters on here saw you dying in the gutter they would not give a damn or a penny.

Why so bitter? I would expect most on here to at least call the ambulance, and that is as far as their obligation extends. It is not the responsibility of anyone on here to pay his bills.

If he couldn't afford to pay for insurance he had the option of staying home where he gets free hospital care, or of taking his chances. Seems like he chose the latter option.

I've been following this thread with interest. Just to add, I looked up some quotes for medical insurance for me (73). As a visitor I could get an annual cover from Saga (with max 90 days per trip) for 350 pounds. Not badreally.

However, as an ex pat living here I have two quotes ranging from 350 - 510 pounds per month.!

Clearly on a UK pension and a small private one, giving an income of 1600 pounds a month - quite easily to live a quiet life on here - to add that sort of monthly payment would be impossible.

Before anyone suggests it, I couldn't pose as a visitor with Saga as you have to supply the return flight bookings and also a Permanent UK address.

That's why Europe, with a strong pound against the Euro (or a weak Euro depending on your take) is now very attractive.

I understand from one of the earlier posts that this guy was a resident, not a holiday-maker. I would assume Aussie insurance rates may well be similar to these UK quotes.

• Like 1

He is 71 and he travels without insurance! Now that is what I call foolish!

It is difficult to find travel insurance if over 70.

whybother giving us this information unless you also tell us who the insurance company is.

"the" insurance company? There are heaps. Google is your friend.

Dear Susan Monaghan,

wai2.gif

There's an article in the Northern Territory News about Malcoms plight, a lot of his ex students have donated, and from what I have heard from friends who knew him in Darwin he is a warm hearted, likeable guy.

There was mention in an earlier post that the local TV were going to run a story on his plight on friday night ...

Can you confirm the story was aired ... ?

I am curious as to how much money has been raised / donated to date ... ?

Thanks in advance ... wai2.gif

Has anyone else noticed the usual reply when you don't know or choose not to tell is ' Google is your friend'.

Has anyone else noticed the usual reply when you don't know or choose not to tell is ' Google is your friend'.

I don't know which insurance company that she uses, but I do know she always has travel insurance.

I googled "travel insurance 70+" and there are lots of options available.

Dear Susan Monaghan,

wai2.gif

There was mention in an earlier post that the local TV were going to run a story on his plight on friday night ...

Can you confirm the story was aired ... ?

I am curious as to how much money has been raised / donated to date ... ?

Thanks in advance ... wai2.gif

Apparently they did, nine news Darwin states that 12k has been raised out of the 157k (AUD) needed. 100K (3Mil baht) for the hospital bill and 57k AUD for the medivac. Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

Why so bitter? I would expect most on here to at least call the ambulance, and that is as far as their obligation extends. It is not the responsibility of anyone on here to pay his bills.

If he couldn't afford to pay for insurance he had the option of staying home where he gets free hospital care, or of taking his chances. Seems like he chose the latter option.

Did you read the post that was deleted which started off ' I hope Malcome dies etc etc?

I don't know which insurance company that she uses, but I do know she always has travel insurance.

I googled "travel insurance 70+" and there are lots of options available.

Thank you for an answer.

Don't be too harsh with your criticism

Most travel insurance companies WONT insure people over 70

Most do for higher premiums or lower compensations...

Could you give the names of a couple of the insurers that will insure over 70 for a higher premium or lower compensation. I haven't been able to find any.

Don't be too harsh with your criticism

Most travel insurance companies WONT insure people over 70

Most do for higher premiums or lower compensations...

Could you give the names of a couple of the insurers that will insure over 70 for a higher premium or lower compensation. I haven't been able to find any.

not looking very hard are you ?

sum total of 10 seconds and on TV no less to find this

post-64799-0-18840900-1425798878_thumb.p

post-64799-0-28007000-1425798915_thumb.p

If I ever have to choose between living in Thailand or medical care back home, my insurance will consist of a razor blade. The thought of being stuck in an old folks facility back home is enough to make death the better option.

However, in the OP's case, if the hospital took him without checking he had insurance, he is their problem, and if they want him gone, they should pay.

Does anyone know what would happen in the event that one is unable to pay for hospital care, and one is seriously injured/ sick?

Probably let ya die.