Another suicide in Pattaya

balo

61 year old Norwegian man commits suicide near Bang Saray , south of Pattaya.

The Norwegian man had just retired and was expecting over 60000 baht of delayed pension money according to his wife , but the money was never transfered to his Thai bank account. As a result over the months , he got very depressed and on this occasion , when his wife was out working, he hanged himself from an iron grille using a nylon rope. According to the wife he has attempted suicide on two previous occasions but was saved by neighbors in the village. The Norwegian embassy has been notified of the tragedy .

Link to the story and video .

http://www.pattayapeople.com/Crime-News/NORWEGIAN-COMMITS-SUICIDE_10032015014

Seems like he asked for help, but it wasn't enough. I do wonder if he was back in Norway, would things be different? Anyhow, this is extremely tragic. It doesn't get worse than this. Hanging is much different than, say, taking 100 pills. If there is a better place, I hope he's there.

• Like 1

Reading on Norwegian forums today it looks like he was refused his pension from the Norwegian state , they found out he did not qualify for the pension , he worked in Norway less than 20 years, and 20 years is the minimum if you want to receive pension living abroad. He also wrote a suicide note that explained the situation .

RIP to the man

Why are these reports of suicides reported?

What is the point?

Nothing else happening?

I do not see the point of it

Lesson for other posters. If you run low on money in paradise,

get the hell out of here and back to your home country....

Um, shouldn't this guy have thought this out before he moved to Pattaya? rolleyes.gif

Easy for you to say that, but it seems it's a rather frequent problem and for many countries.

When you are in your country and make your files for retirement, you receive data and amounts base on a "standard" case, but most people have no idea that because they choose to move abroad this will impact their revenues, and so they don't even talk about that when they organise their retirement. In many case it's a big bad surprise sad.png

Here it's extreme, with no pension at all it seems. Sometime it's a reduced amount, or unexpected taxes, or no more health insurance... In all case it's lot of money.

An easy way out I guess but I will never understand this.

I love life and even if I went totally broke one day I would seek help and there's always a way out if you look for it. Death is not the answer.

Edited by balo

RIP to the man

Why are these reports of suicides reported?

What is the point?

Nothing else happening?

I do not see the point of it

Lesson for other posters. If you run low on money in paradise,

get the hell out of here and back to your home country....

No thanks - I'll die in Asia if that's OK with you - but one can only wonder if Norway *was* this fellow's home country if he couldn't accumulate 20 years in the local workforce between the ages of ~20 and 60. Surely he was aware of the rule before he got on a plane to come here ? Even if he was Norwegian by birth and had spent most of his working live overseas, it beggars belief that he didn't think to check that everything he was in order before deciding to retire. I guess it's all academic now - RIP.