The difference between a hard disk and a hard drive for dummies (that's me, LOL)

NeverSure

They aren't the same at all, and it's not true that "it isn't". One more time.

You can put 24 hard drives on 1 hard disk so they aren't the same. thumbsup.gif

The first 24 are software which create partitions and drives on a hard disk. thumbsup.gif

The software drives you write about are known as partitions.

Wrong.

A volume is a partition. When first created but before it is formatted, it is called a raw unallocated volume. In that stage it can't contain a drive.

I posted that above as you were writing.

You can create a partition and format it and have a drive in that partition but that is all software on the disk. Drive on a disk.

Edited by NeverSure

"In Windows Server 2008 the distinction between volumes and partitions is somewhat murky. When using Disk Management, a regular partition on a basic disk is called a simple volume, even though technically a simple volume requires that the disk be a dynamic disk."

Microsoft

Note how they carefully differentiate what the disk is.

Edited by NeverSure

A volume is a partition. When first created but before it is formatted, it is called a raw unallocated volume. In that stage it can't contain a drive.

God you can't help yourself can you?

You can create multiple volumes on a partition.

They are not the same thing at all.

Put the Microsoft for Dummies book in the bin.

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Got an authoritative link?

You can create multiple volumes on one physical hard disk using software.

You can span one volume and one drive across multiple physical hard disks using software.

Your mind is closed. There's no helping you. You must live in a world of anger.

You say anyone can edit wikipedia so why hasn't someone changed the wrong definition of hard disk drive? Not only wikipedia but everyone else here are also all wrong and only you are correct.

You say anyone can edit wikipedia so why hasn't someone changed the wrong definition of hard disk drive? Not only wikipedia but everyone else here are also all wrong and only you are correct.

I realize fully well that the term hard drive has become a common term for hard disk. That's why I started the thread. If you've read the whole thread, you'll see that neither Microsoft nor manufacturers make that mistake.

If you don't properly differentiate between the physical hard disk and a software partition with a software drive on it, you can't explain to someone how to manage hard disks. Microsoft is very careful to differentiate so that people will understand which it is talking about when using hard disk utilities.

I've posted links and explained it over and over. Apparently some people simply aren't interested and in fact in their ignorance they attack the concept.

I thought people would be interest in a discussion but no, right off the bat they attacked me to the point of calling me an idiot.

It appears that they are going to stay ignorant.

Go figure.

I realize fully well that the term hard drive has become a common term for hard disk. That's why I started the thread. If you've read the whole thread, you'll see that neither Microsoft nor manufacturers make that mistake.

Lets see what the manufacturers call them, shall we?

http://samsunghdd.seagate.com/

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/

http://www.toshiba.com/us/int-storage

• Like 1

This discussion never gets into any advanced drive management but nitpicks over simple concepts. Is your only experience with Microsoft? How long ago did you get that MSCE? There are software suites devoted to hard disk management. Why not go to the Paragon website and read up if you really want to learn about disk management. You've beaten the dead horse into fragments in this thread.

This discussion never gets into any advanced drive management but nitpicks over simple concepts. Is your only experience with Microsoft? How long ago did you get that MSCE? There are software suites devoted to hard disk management. Why not go to the Paragon website and read up if you really want to learn about disk management. You've beaten the dead horse into fragments in this thread.

Paragon calls that software "Hard Disk Manager" for a reason. They have to start with a hard disk in order to put their software on it which manages the disk. It's obvious that they know it.

That's what, and that's all I've been saying.

It's so easy.

I wanted to have a conversation about hard disk management, creating partitions, striping, RAID and so on, but it's been a constant attack instead of a discussion.

Frankly that's not unusual on TVF but this is the worst I've had. I'm ashamed of some members and their personal attacks.

A well researched and thorough response that really ought to put this thread to bed.

NeverSure, if you carry on with this rubbish, you're just being an a r s e h o l e.

Chicog, in your rudeness, you have called me and idiot and an and for some reason the mods have allowed it. No I didn't report it, but it is against forum rules regarding flaming another member. You are a sad little person.

I was hoping to have a discussion about putting software on a physical hard disk or disks to manipulate them. But you, while calling me an idiot, are unable to comprehend that in order to have a drive on a blank disk that disk needs software. I couldn't teach anyone about hard disk management without discussing the software it needs to even have a formatted partition and a drive letter.

It would have been fun to have a discussion about my NAS which is wireless and hidden, how the physical hard disks are hot swappable, and what software and firmware it takes to do that. It would have been fun to discuss how all of those physical hard disks are just one hard drive.

Yes I am aware that the term hard drive has entered the lexicon to mean hard disk but that doesn't work when talking about managing hard disks with granularity. Why else would I start the thread? "Let me show you how to put three drives on that disk and Windows explorer will see three drives and store and find data accordingly."

You aren't intelligent enough to move past insults and understand what I was saying: A physical hard disk has no drive letter on it and no usable storage space unless it has software on it to create a formatted partition. There is no drive to see or use without that software.

I'm gone from this thread for various reasons and welcome to my ignore list. I put up with serious insults just so long and then I'm gone. I will however continue to help other members such as I did the other day when a box wouldn't start and posted an Active Directory error message. I nailed that by saying that the OS had at some time been joined to a domain controller with Active Directory and what the meant to the member. If he hadn't had a prior image I would have walked him through editing the registry to fix that.

That's far more than you could do so my help is still available.

Edited by NeverSure

biggrin.png

"Put the Microsoft for Dummies book in the bin." but... but.... but..... Microsoft is for dummies your going to need that. biggrin.png

I was hoping to have a discussion about putting software on a physical hard disk or disks to manipulate them.

There's not much to say about "putting" software. Mostly you run the installation program and it handles things for you. 'Course sometimes it doesn't need to be installed but just copied or moved over. HxD, for example, is also a portable program so then you just unzip it--if you've got a program to unzip for you. Fortunately I think Explore comes with unzipping functionality built-in nowadays. wink.png

I don't recall anybody here expressing any need to "manipulate" hard disks. Nor would anybody, because this is another of your made-up word applications, as it's really only applied to "manipulating" hard drive firmware, which, after all, doesn't reside on the disk. Occasionally people do have questions about, say, "partitioning," which applies to hard drives.

But you, while calling me an idiot, are unable to comprehend that in order to have a drive on a blank disk that disk needs software. I couldn't teach anyone about hard disk management without discussing the software it needs to even have a formatted partition and a drive letter.

No, a disk needs hardware & firmware, not software, in order to become part of a drive. You know, stuff like head actuator, read/write heads, spindle and spindle motor, logic board.

And to have a formatted partition a user may or not need any software to accomplish that as many drives come pre-formatted and partitioned. The installation of an OS may do that as well and the OS will assign a designation to the read/writeable area(s) of the disk. smile.png Windows, since it uses "files" and "folders," should have used the term "filing cabinet" instead of "hard drive" to prevent unfortunate confounding of logical drives with physical by naive users.

Yes I am aware that the term hard drive has entered the lexicon to mean hard disk but that doesn't work when talking about managing hard disks with granularity.

"Hard drive" is short not for "hard disk," as you mistakenly believe, but, as any dictionary of technical terms will explain, short for "hard disk drive." That's been true for like, forever. And it works perfectly to any needed degree of granularity when you're using it correctly. In that case, "managing" means things like swapping out, or upgrading, adding, or taking apart and blowing the dust out, or putting in the freezer in a vain hope of rescue.

You aren't intelligent enough to move past insults and understand what I was saying: A physical hard disk has no drive letter on it and no usable storage space unless it has software on it to create a formatted partition. There is no drive to see or use without that software.

What you're saying doesn't make any sense, as you've been told for over two years now. Since you won't learn better but keep repeating, of course people begin to get frustrated. We don't like the spreading of false info around here.

Get these replies to your false beliefs expressed above:

• A physical hard disk NEVER has any drive letter on it anywhere unless you scribble one with a permanent marker.
  • A physical hard disk DOES NOT NEED any software on it to create a formatted partition. It may not even need to be part of its final housing as the factory may format it before it goes in.
  • A program capable of creating a partition and file system can reside on a different hard disk.
  • After a physical hard disk is formatted and partitioned, it STILL may not have ANY software on it but it IS usable. A file system, MBR, and partition table are NOT software.
  • There IS a hard drive without any file system and partitioning, it goes by the name "hard drive," or, if particular, "Seagate Hard Drive" etc., and, if in your possession, it CAN be seen, held, and tucked in at night. It CAN be read and written to without having any software on it.

Chicog, in your rudeness, you have called me and idiot and an and for some reason the mods have allowed it. No I didn't report it, but it is against forum rules regarding flaming another member. You are a sad little person.

I was hoping to have a discussion about putting software on a physical hard disk or disks to manipulate them. But you, while calling me an idiot, are unable to comprehend that in order to have a drive on a blank disk that disk needs software. I couldn't teach anyone about hard disk management without discussing the software it needs to even have a formatted partition and a drive letter.

It would have been fun to have a discussion about my NAS which is wireless and hidden, how the physical hard disks are hot swappable, and what software and firmware it takes to do that. It would have been fun to discuss how all of those physical hard disks are just one hard drive.

Yes I am aware that the term hard drive has entered the lexicon to mean hard disk but that doesn't work when talking about managing hard disks with granularity. Why else would I start the thread? "Let me show you how to put three drives on that disk and Windows explorer will see three drives and store and find data accordingly."

I'm gone from this thread for various reasons and welcome to my ignore list. I put up with serious insults just so long and then I'm gone. I will however continue to help other members such as I did the other day when a box wouldn't start and posted an Active Directory error message. I nailed that by saying that the OS had at some time been joined to a domain controller with Active Directory and what the meant to the member. If he hadn't had a prior image I would have walked him through editing the registry to fix that.

That's far more than you could do so my help is still available.

Be grateful that I didn't call you a Fox News Viewer, although it would explain your ignorance.

You have not been "having a discussion", you've been telling everyone who pointed out your mistakes that they're wrong, and coming out with the most ridiculous pile of baloney to justify it. This crap thread should have died on page one.

The day I ever need help from you I am in deep trouble.

cheesy.gif

And it sums it up when you think the answer to removing the domain credentials from a client is to go pissing about in the registry.

Good god man, we have a phrase about people with half a brain cell being dangerous.

blink.png