Parents upset over ban on children riding motorbikes

Lite Beer

Look at the pic!

Long as dad's head protected!

Exactly - it always amazes me how the parents will wear a helmet but leave their children unprotected.

Even with a helmet, you're unlikely to survive in a situation like this.

Actually, My cousin was in an accident like that, had a helmet, and he survived with only bruises. His helmet was cracked into two pieces. But no head injury. With out a helmet he probably would have died when that Saab hit him.

"She said she did not trust school bus services in the wake of reports that some kids had been left in school vans and suffocated."

How many kids die in Thailand every day because of motorbike accidents compared to the one or two times that a child was left in a van here?

My wife's family refuse to fly because "it's so dangerous" so they drive a car or take a bus from Isaan to Bangkok at night time with no worries at all or they drive a scooter 70km/h on a highway with 3 people and no helmets, and they see no danger in that.

Comment of the day!!

I know it is difficult to put yourself in the place of those who struggle to make ends meet but there are dangers everywhere and for many, as evidenced by the number of children passengers on motorbikes, it is the only practical form of transport for them. Since Thais are Buddhist, they believe that if they or their child is injured/killed, it is Karma. In Texas, it is not required for adults on motorcycles to wear helmets. People are also allowed to ride in the back of a pick-up truck with no seat belts. It's called 'personal freedom'. I know many of you who grew up with 'nanny state' governments are horrified at the thought of someone having the choice of a less-safe option, but Nanny States are expensive; both in compliance and enforcement. In time, if the political thieving can be minimized, Thailand will grow more prosperous and can afford to force its citizens into cars. Until then, try to put yourself in the place of poor people whose options are limited by their income.

Pennsylvania, U.S.A. repealed it's helmet laws and Hawaii, U.S.A. never had them.

How much "safety rhetoric" has come from manufactures/lobbyists vs real research and statistics? I've seen reports (years ago) that a helmet being worn can cause death. Now that's interesting eh?

Please find that study that says wearing a helmet can cause death and post it asap.
  • Like 1

I have seen the parents and kids on the motor bikes, every time I have been in Thailand

since the 90s. It takes me back to the 60s in Canada, when we did not have to wear seatbelts,

and we could ride in the back of the pickups. I guess Texas is still like that, I just did not know!

In PA, like in B.C. and Alberta there is a season called Winter, and it has cold weather

and snow, so for us riding motorbikes is a tad dangerous and way too cold. Texas has some Winters

that are quite hot, and riding bikes and in back of pickups is a year round activity.

Anyway I think that Thailand will eventually sort out its situation, just not in my life time.

Just my opinion of course, but in nanny states or nanny countries, there are still accidents

and people die. In Thailand when you see the people wearing the helmets that you can by for 300 baht.

Do not believe for one minute , that these cheap things are going to save too many lives.

I figure the best that will happen is the head will be a bit more contained than if it hits the ground without

one of these cheap helmets. My cheap helmet broke apart, and I was glad that I only had a small cut in my scalp from one of the plastic shards that punched through the foam and only glanced on my scalp, and not into

my brain. Just saying!

• Like 1

@Alwyn. Have you ever seen the foot pegs of a motorcycle altered here? Could it be done? Mostly you see kids legs dangling often losing a flip flop or two.

UK law is for UK. This is Thailand. It has its own laws.

Whats laws got to do with Common sense and safety. no matter where, If they have an accident with more than the designed amount of people on it, 2 , fine them an ban them because i am certain the Insurance will not pay out for four deaths on one motor bike insurance. also the design and use of the machine is compromised, balance, stability, breaking power. the list goes on

Your post is directed at the wrong person. I am mostly in agreement with the new and past rules on motorbike safety which are for the most part common sense.

Perhaps you would do better to have answered @Alwyn.

Edited by Keesters

I believe this little gidding is to distract people from the seriously twisted charter process because now they are worried about their children..Hit Them Where It Hurts For Distraction.

This is the most seriously stupid piece of legislation I have ever seen in Thailand. Ever. The people passing laws now are so disconnected from the mainstream that they do not even know how their own country works. Scooters are all that more than 90% of Thais can afford. Now they want them to -- what? -- buy cars? What a screwed up "let them eat cake" attitude. make them worry about their children, they won't even notice the charter...

Elitist inbred pigs with delusions of intelligence. Self-aggrandizing glory hounds who wave a yellow flag and piss on the populace...because they can. Dour termagants with sophist philosophies and inconsiderate inconsideration. I really should stop editing myself.

NO WONDER THE COUNTRY IS SPLIT IN TWO -- THEY LIKE IT THAT WAY.

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 1

I know it is difficult to put yourself in the place of those who struggle to make ends meet but there are dangers everywhere and for many, as evidenced by the number of children passengers on motorbikes, it is the only practical form of transport for them. Since Thais are Buddhist, they believe that if they or their child is injured/killed, it is Karma. In Texas, it is not required for adults on motorcycles to wear helmets. People are also allowed to ride in the back of a pick-up truck with no seat belts. It's called 'personal freedom'. I know many of you who grew up with 'nanny state' governments are horrified at the thought of someone having the choice of a less-safe option, but Nanny States are expensive; both in compliance and enforcement. In time, if the political thieving can be minimized, Thailand will grow more prosperous and can afford to force its citizens into cars. Until then, try to put yourself in the place of poor people whose options are limited by their income.

Pennsylvania, U.S.A. repealed it's helmet laws and Hawaii, U.S.A. never had them.

How much "safety rhetoric" has come from manufactures/lobbyists vs real research and statistics? I've seen reports (years ago) that a helmet being worn can cause death. Now that's interesting eh?

Talk about comparing apples and oranges! The number of motorcycle riders in PA and HI compared to those in Thailand! We are talking apples and watermelons here! Law enforcement in PA and HI compared to Thailand. Drunk driving in PA and HI compared to Thailand. The sheer number of deaths from motorcycles in PA and HI versus Thailand!

Gotta say, you picked a real s*@t example to make your rather ambiguous case.

Do you REALLY believe that wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle here in Thailand is more dangerous than NOT wearing one???

NO, it is NOT interesting, it's absurd!

usmap3.gif

• Like 2

chrissables...I ask you to join a simple experiment: I will wear a helmet and run into a wall -head first- from 10 meters.

You do the same without a helmet and we see, who is better of afterwards, okay?!

Let me guess: you are an American and the 2nd amendment is your gospel?! coffee1.gif

Then he or she would be Chrisdisabled!!!

Professional racing car drivers wear helmets, professional motorcycle drivers wear helmets, professional bicycle racers wear helmets, professional jockeys and show jumping riders wear them, professional snowboarders wear them, professional skateboarders wear them, professional BMX riders wear them. Can they all be wrong? Helmets make sense.

• Like 1

A recent report posted on here suggested that drowning was the biggest cause of death in children, kind of makes the whole argument about deaths on motorbikes when nobody suggested banning children from swimming pools

So just because people is drowning that meant we can not save lives by wearing a helmet?

Its like saying we should not build new schools in Thailand because there is more un-educated kids in Kenya.

Most drowning cases happen in rivers, canals, reservoirs etc, not many swimming pools out in the sticks.

"We believe it's necessary to put a warning label on every motorcycle too. The label should read "Death and disability without using helmet". The label must be shown clearly on the motorcycle," OCPB deputy secretary general Virachai Chomsakorn said.

How many 8 year-olds can read??? And would they pay any attention??

And to all those parents who say, how will we go around our business?? Find a way, most other countries in the world do it without riding around with their kids on motorbikes. Thais just want the lazy easy option.

Bottom line: The government is trying to look out for children because there are so many irresponsible parents who put their kids in danger.

• Like 1

"Statistics show a huge number of children have died or been injured in motorcycle accidents."

Mai pben rai. Those people are dead or injured, because they were unlucky.

We're still alive and not in an accident (yet), so we're lucky.

DOH

Edited by SiSePuede419

Try a more sensible proposal. How about helmet enforcement? Real enforcement? Only good quality helmets are allowed. Not beanies. Not skullcaps. 5,000 baht fines. Only one passenger per bike. 5,000 baht fine. Real enforcement works. Toy police work does not.

Gov't, Police, Parents, Kids - it's hard to ascribe the blame here in Thailand. I think none are without a share in reasons for death tall.

Gov't - should not only introduce Laws (there is no shortage of them) but EDUCATE all sections of society as to why laws needed and what is the result of breaking the laws.

Police - should ENFORCE the Laws instead of being 'nice'. Especially the laws concerning bikes and kids - as potentially most endangered users of the roads.

Parents - loving their kid is not about buying a bike for 40 - 50 KBt but about finding the finances to buy a 600Bt helmet. And making the kid WEAR it!

Kids - after singing in unison in a classroom all the right things about safety - they go out and do all the wrong things. That much for quality of Education!

Generally speaking Thai drivers are in my opinion GOOD!

Not so much as abiding by the rules but by COMMON SENSE and non-aggressiveness.

Going back to OP:

Watching 4 kids on one 150cc scooter, all underage, not one helmet between them - SCARY!

I am convinced that even a non-approved helmet offers more protection than no helmet at all.

Although I doubt how many approved helmets exist on this roads.

I bought my approved helmet home, and brought here to be more safe.

Texas. Yep, I believe in freedom until someone is hurt badly and the state has to pay for their medical care or pay to put the kids in foster care. If we follow the freedom idea to it's logical conclusion, then there shouldn't be any state aid available because I want to be free to not pay for those people's actions.

I don't know the answer. I don't know the answer to kids on scooters in Thailand when the parents can barely afford even that transportation.

I hate to see kids get hurt and I hate a nanny state.

I don't know.

Nicely said... You just wish there was an instant cure, but there ain't. My comment would be for all those who steal (bribe etc.) from the state and people of Thailand... Just look at those kids dead eyes,, slap yourself on the back and say "I contributed to that!"

I will say it again. I think most Thais are not capable of complex thinking or understand cause and effect. This extends to driving behaviour of motorists and motor bike riders. Isn't it obvious?

and also the people responsible for condition of the roads.

Riding without a helmet????

he he, nice clip possum, I love all Things Elvis. However, 3 things wrong, no helmet (as you said) it's not a Harley, and he's driving on the wrong side of the road.

No he's not, he's in America.

• Like 2

I will say it again. I think most Thais are not capable of complex thinking or understand cause and effect. This extends to driving behaviour of motorists and motor bike riders. Isn't it obvious?

and also the people responsible for condition of the roads.

Don't know where you live Possum, but I live in Bang Na, Bangkok, the roads for the most part are excellent. Occasionally I go to the Mega Mall here, (put most US and Euro Malls to shame) but two roads down there's nothing but poverty and desperation. I spent time this morning "discussing" bribery and corruption with people here on TV... I'm amazed that people think it's OK to pay a little more to get what they want, or avoid criminal charges etc. The end result of that behaviour is the local populace cannot afford to live like you and I, and cannot afford anything but a motorcycle and some gas every week. Helmets? at 600 baht is 20 meals to them... there is no choice.