Removing rust from bathroom fixtures

a1falang

Grrrrrrr. Photo didn't upload. Can't edit post. Can't delete post. Can't reply and attach a photo here. C'mon ThaiVisa!

I've tried to find CLR here in Thailand to get rid of rust and stuff from my metal shower and bathtub fixtures but no joy. What's available here that works?

depends on the make up of the(shiny) if it is genuine chrome plate then a good strong cleaner will do the if its not all you will do is burn off the shine from the base metal/plastic i dont think there is much chance of it being real thing replace with quality product

depends on the make up of the(shiny) if it is genuine chrome plate then a good strong cleaner will do the if its not all you will do is burn off the shine from the base metal/plastic i dont think there is much chance of it being real thing replace with quality product

I wonder if "genuine chrome plate" are still plated on solid copper or brass?

If it's not pitted or rusted, try Vixol or similar cleaner. If it is already pitted or rusted, you probably would want to replace the fixtures. Shiny chrome with small pits or bits rusted off just isn't all that attractive, IMHO.

Update: bought a small bottle of HG's "Professional Limescale Remover" which the girl at HomePro pointed to and said could handle rust. Didn't work that great, though, and a closer look at the label revealed it actually says "rust STAINS" in Thai, not rust in general. Will try some old-school toothpaste and vinegar remedies I found in Google instead.

Unfortunately no photo and I doubt that there is "rust" on the chrome plated parts.

Is it really dark/orange colored?

Usually it IS limescale.

Here it is the main cause for degradation of all sanitary equipment (very "hard" water).

Why this limescale remover didn't work well? I don't know.

A simple cheap method:

buy a big (4 to 10 l) can of ordinary cheap vinegar.

10 l at Macro about 110 Baht.

Soak a towel in the vinegar and wrap it around the limestone parts.

Wait an hour or so, remove and rinse, probably brush with an old toothbrush or the like.

All parts that can easily be removed (tap aerators, hoses etc.): give them a bath in vinegar.

If its rust: forget it.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I use Vixol (which I think is similar to Duck?) on chrome fixtures all the time with no problems. Shiny silver plastic trim, though, might be a different matter.