Ford Everest - All New 2015

Barontt

The new Toyota Fortuna has to be the best Marketing plan for Ford...

I have seen a couple of Toyota Fortuna's on the road over the past couple of days - its extremely, jaw-droppingly Fugly... people in the market must see the new Fortuna and run straight to the nearest Ford Garage (or Mitsu)....

I drive what may be considered by some a more upmarket vehicle (the new BMW X5) and I find myself thinking that had I not purchased the BMW half a year back I'd be looking at the Ford Everest in a very serious way...

I hear ya!

How does your BMW X5 perform? We have had a nice comparison of the Everest Titanium+ to a Range Rover. I wonder how the Everest Titanium+ would compare to the BMW X5.....and am looking forward to how the Everest Titanium+ is going to compare to the 2015 Fortuner.....

My wife is driving the Everest today - I'll let you know how she compares it to her Evoque in the morning :)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have seen a couple of Toyota Fortuna's on the road over the past couple of days - its extremely, jaw-droppingly Fugly... people in the market must see the new Fortuna and run straight to the nearest Ford Garage (or Mitsu)....

I drive what may be considered by some a more upmarket vehicle (the new BMW X5) and I find myself thinking that had I not purchased the BMW half a year back I'd be looking at the Ford Everest in a very serious way...

I hear ya!

How does your BMW X5 perform? We have had a nice comparison of the Everest Titanium+ to a Range Rover. I wonder how the Everest Titanium+ would compare to the BMW X5.....and am looking forward to how the Everest Titanium+ is going to compare to the 2015 Fortuner.....

My wife is driving the Everest today - I'll let you know how she compares it to her Evoque in the morning smile.png

Used to have the RR Vogue... nothing else compares to it. In my opinion the RR is best car to have in BKK, of course some will disagree but this is my opinion and I've had a handful of different cars here, from Mercs (A Class and ML250), Hondas (CRV's 2nd Gen and latest), Range Rover (MKIII and Evoque), BMW's (528 & X5)... I'd taken the RR Off Road, got it muddy, a few days later its parked out the front of a 5* hotel - it seemed perfect for any venue, location or occasion... It had travelled around, but towards the 6th year things started to go wrong and I lost confidence in travelling too far from an RR service centre in Bkk - it navigated traffic easily and was a smooth as a magic carpet ride - the 4.4 V8 had grunt too.

The BMW X5 is growing on me - Its doesn't feel quick, but it 0-100 kmh in abut 8 secs is good enough for BKK roads, getting up to speed on expressways and over taking where necessary. Economy is decent (BMW quote 47 mpg) I'm not sure what I get though.

Ride is a little more firm than expected in an SUV. Its very convenient with an infant child and the size is right for a car seat, pushchair, travel cot and luggage etc when we go away (but then so is the CRV which we got rid of as a second car because we didn't need it).

Interior Spec - excellent quality... the cabin is a nice place to be.

I've no idea how the BMW would compare to the Everest Titanium+ as I've yet to see it in the skin.

Edited by richard_smith237

My wife is driving the Everest today - I'll let you know how she compares it to her Evoque in the morning smile.png

That is a great idea! ....an opportunity to hear another opinion of the Everest and from a different segment of the market! thumbsup.gif

Richard_Smith 237 on 27 Aug 2015, said:

Used to have the RR Vogue... nothing else compares to it. In my opinion the RR is best car to have in BKK, of course some will disagree but this is my opinion and I've had a handful of different cars here, from Mercs (A Class and ML250), Hondas (CRV's 2nd Gen and latest), Range Rover (MKIII and Evoque), BMW's (528 & X5)... I'd taken the RR Off Road, got it muddy, a few days later its parked out the front of a 5* hotel - it seemed perfect for any venue, location or occasion... It had travelled around, but towards the 6th year things started to go wrong and I lost confidence in travelling too far from an RR service centre in Bkk - it navigated traffic easily and was a smooth as a magic carpet ride - the 4.4 V8 had grunt too.

The BMW X5 is growing on me - Its doesn't feel quick, but it 0-100 kmh in abut 8 secs is good enough for BKK roads, getting up to speed on expressways and over taking where necessary. Economy is decent (BMW quote 47 mpg) I'm not sure what I get though.

Ride is a little more firm than expected in an SUV. Its very convenient with an infant child and the size is right for a car seat, pushchair, travel cot and luggage etc when we go away (but then so is the CRV which we got rid of as a second car because we didn't need it).

Interior Spec - excellent quality... the cabin is a nice place to be.

I've no idea how the BMW would compare to the Everest Titanium+ as I've yet to see it in the skin.

....I can only imagine: A 4.4 V8 in LOS .....thumbsup.gif

Edited by luwahn

One thing I can tell you straight up - you don't compare the Everest to these Europeans on fit, finish or materials. It's just not in that league. It's also not in the same league when it comes to power & acceleration, unless you're comparing it to a base model Euro.

But when it comes to the overall experience - i.e. quietness, comfort and driving feel, it's getting a whole lot closer to the Euro's than you'd ever expect an SUV based on a pickup, and selling at these prices, could do.

At this stage, I'm inclined to label it the poor (smart?) man's Range Rover alternative wink.pngNo way would I have ever associated any other PPV that closely before.

If you've got the money for a Benz, BMW, Audi, Porsche or Range Rover SUV, buy that. If you don't, test drive an Everest.

Edited by IMHO

One thing I can tell you straight up - you don't compare the Everest to these Europeans on fit, finish or materials. It's just not in that league. It's also not in the same league when it comes to power & acceleration, unless you're comparing it to a base model Euro.

But when it comes to the overall experience - i.e. quietness, comfort and driving feel, it's getting a whole lot closer to the Euro's than you'd ever expect an SUV based on a pickup, and selling at these prices, could do.

At this stage, I'm inclined to label it the poor (smart?) man's Range Rover alternative wink.pngNo way would I have ever associated any other PPV that closely before.

If you've got the money for a Benz, BMW, Audi, Porsche or Range Rover SUV, buy that. If you don't, test drive an Everest.

Agreed - however, as the quality of these 'SUV Based on a pickup' vehicles improves we (I) enter a threshold whereby justifying the extra millions baht becomes questionable....

I'd need to live with the Everest for a week or so to be able to make that decision... I may have found myself not having to justify to myself as why the BMW was so much better instead choosing not to settle for the Everest, but to be happy with the choice.

I hear ya!

Top models Everest = 1.5 million v X5 = 7 million......... makes the top ML Benz look cheap at around 5 million. the diesel new Range Rover = 10.7 million, for that sort of money may just as well buy the V8 5 lt super charged @ 13 million

as for how the new Fortuner compares, It is a Toyota so no matter how bad it may be Thais will buy it.

Edited by ignis

I hear ya!

OK, my wife talks about cars a little differently than me :P

Me: How do you like the EV?

Her: Can I use this to go on shopping trips with my friends?

Me: Sure, so that means you like it?

Her: Yes, I like it

Me: How do you compare it to your car?

Her: It doesn't have a Victoria Beckham interior

Me: I know that, I mean, driving it..

Her: it's not as sporty as mine, but it's very comfortable, and I like the steering

Sorry guys, that's about all we're going to get :)

I hear ya!

Top models Everest = 1.5 million v X5 = 7 million......... makes the top ML Benz look cheap at around 5 million. the diesel new Range Rover = 10.7 million, for that sort of money may just as well buy the V8 5 lt super charged @ 13 million

as for how the new Fortuner compares, It is a Toyota so no matter how bad it may be Thais will buy it.

Yep, it creates a real conundrum if you're normally shopping Euro. As many people here will now, I have long been lusting after an X166 Benz GL, and have been/am waiting to see what happens to it's pricing with the 2016 tax rules. The EV makes you ask yourself some hard questions...

My wish is that they'd come out with a version that was all high grade materials, rather than it's current, and (to me) very odd blend of high, mid and low grade materials.

Eg. some of the seat leather is in very thick, high quality leather, but as you move around different panels on the chair, the quality/thickness changes. Then there's the yes-its-actually-stitched dash, but that's in vinyl, not leather. As DH77 pointed out, there several plastic interior parts that would look way better finished in wood (the dash), or even alloy (on the doors). Then there's the carpet, which feels like it's straight out of an eco car...

Pretty much everything else I can live with - even the power - based on the fact that it's more of a cruiser/tourer than a sports SUV, and for that the engine is adequate.

Is it worth spending 4-6 times or more to get a car with better grade materials, more power, better FE and an extra 10-20% chassis/drivetrain refinement? Probably not, but at this stage I'm still hopeful the X166 prices come down significantly next year wink.png

Edited by IMHO

Eg. some of the seat leather is in very thick, high quality leather, but as you move around different panels on the chair, the quality/thickness changes. Then there's the yes-its-actually-stitched dash, but that's in vinyl, not leather. As DH77 pointed out, there several plastic interior parts that would look way better finished in wood (the dash), or even alloy (on the doors). Then there's the carpet, which feels like it's straight out of an eco car...

In fairness, no one ever complained or nit-picked this much with the previous generation PPV's - it's because the EV delivers so well on NVH and comfort that it calls materials quality into question.

I hear ya!

OK, my wife talks about cars a little differently than me tongue.png

Her: it's not as sporty as mine, but it's very comfortable, and I like the steering

Sorry guys, that's about all we're going to get smile.png

Hey, that's not bad at all....talks about steering....hat off to her.

Me: Your car is 8 years old, how about a new one....how about X, Y, Z....

Her: But I like my X-trail. i like the look and X, Y, Z look not nice.

Me: Why? it kind of drives like a boat!

Her: easy to put the shopping in or the dogs.

Me: other cars can do that too!

Her: mine has a nice sound system and looks good, I don't care about looks of X, Y, Z!

Me: others have a better engine, handling....blablabla.

Her: my Xtrail brings me from home to job to shopping without any fuss and it has a good sound system....and I don't like the looks of X, Y, Z!!!!

Me....by that time I gave up and have to tell myself, good on her, because fact remains, her car is utterly reliable, which I can't say from my two German 'fun' cars.

In fairness, no one ever complained or nit-picked this much with the previous generation PPV's - it's because the EV delivers so well on NVH and comfort that it calls materials quality into question.

Where have you need driving and how is the fuel economy so far. Similar to the ranger 3.2?

I hear ya!

Not quite as extreme as you mention:

- Everest Titanium+ is about 1.5 MB

- BMW X5 25d is 4.6 MB

- Merc ML250 is 4.9 MB or 5.9 MB (AMG Speck)

The Big Daddy (Range Rovers)... Yes, their pricing has since become astronomical. I'm glad I had mine when I did it was 4.4 MB at 2 years old (owned by Landrover and driven by their Exec). If I was offered another 2 year old RR at the same price I'd take their arm off. Service was hit and miss though primarily due to to the lag time in ordering spare parts.

Regarding Fortuner sales - Agreed: Simply because its a Fortuner it will sell well in Thailand, I've read on ThaiVisa.com that some Ex-Pats like the look so it is appealing to some. IMO the only uglier car on the road is those awful Saanyongs.

Now the Mazda CX-5 looks good - but I'm upset with Mazda because someone thought my X5 was a CX-5 the other day !!!

Back on the Everest - I think I'd probably have got one of those had they been available at the beginning of the year - Its a decent looking, performing vehicle with a comfortable interior specification. It appears to have most of the Bells and Whistles that my BMW has.

Edited by richard_smith237

Where have you need driving and how is the fuel economy so far. Similar to the ranger 3.2?

Average FE, 3 different drivers, big mix of driving styles and roads = 10.6KM/L

Average FE, 3 different drivers, big mix of driving styles and roads = 10.6KM/L

Not too bad..thanks

See they dont have the standard 20 inch alloys like the US one.sad.png

My Titanium+ does Ace... with 265/50R20 Goodyear EffecientGrip SUV tires.. Except for the spare, which is a Bridgestone Dueller (bit strange).

post-163537-0-37436700-1440734133_thumb.

Those are 20's ^

Edited by IMHO

I hear ya!

Yep, it creates a real conundrum if you're normally shopping Euro. As many people here will now, I have long been lusting after an X166 Benz GL, and have been/am waiting to see what happens to it's pricing with the 2016 tax rules. The EV makes you ask yourself some hard questions...

My wish is that they'd come out with a version that was all high grade materials, rather than it's current, and (to me) very odd blend of high, mid and low grade materials.

Pretty much everything else I can live with - even the power - based on the fact that it's more of a cruiser/tourer than a sports SUV, and for that the engine is adequate.

Is it worth spending 4-6 times or more to get a car with better grade materials, more power, better FE and an extra 10-20% chassis/drivetrain refinement? Probably not, but at this stage I'm still hopeful the X166 prices come down significantly next year wink.png

OK, my wife talks about cars a little differently than me tongue.png

Sorry guys, that's about all we're going to get smile.png

Could hardly wait to read the perceptions of Mrs. IMHO, and as usual, when that moniker posts in this forum, I was not disappointed in the slightest. In fact, while reading the interview about her comparisons between her RR and the EV, I practically choked on my morning coffee because I was ROFL! cheesy.gifcheesy.gif When I (the male technical psyche in me) read her replies: "Can I use this to go on shopping trips with my friends?" and "It doesn't have a Victoria Beckham interior.", I lost it!

Once I collected myself, I realized that she was stating the 'female' perspective and that in fact, she was giving a high endorsement to the EV. (When given a choice), females 'care' about the type of vehicle they drive their girlfriends on shopping trips in and she was choosing the EV! thumbsup.gif

Thanx for the pic, the black EV does look good!

Also, I agree totally with your basis on car buying preferences. Your assessments are right on - 'When E. F. Hutton speaks....'

My Titanium+ does Ace... with 265/50R20 Goodyear EffecientGrip SUV tires.. Except for the spare, which is a Bridgestone Dueller (bit strange).

attachicon.gifrear34.jpg

Those are 20's ^

Still not as nice as the U.S.20, but thats what they do to us here.

I hear ya!

You might be able to customize the interior for far less than the incremental price for a European suv.

attachicon.gifrear34.jpg

Those are 20's ^

IMHO. what is the 0-100 on the Everest? I am sure that you have checked it on your phone app...thumbsup.gif

attachicon.gifrear34.jpg

It just occurred to me that my 1800 kg SUV has the same 265/50R20 size tyres as your EV. Though our tyres are different mfg., what is the mfg suggested tire pressure on your vehicle (is that your tyres actual pressure?) and what is the weight of your EV? The guys at Bquik recommend 40 lbs. but my tyres still look a tad 'under-inflated' when compared to yours.

I wish the tyre mfg. would list a weight range load per every 5 - 10 lbs of air pressure graduation in each of their tyre models.

attachicon.gifrear34.jpg

It just occurred to me that my 1800 kg SUV has the same 265/50R20 size tyres as your EV. Though our tyres are different mfg., what is the mfg suggested tire pressure on your vehicle (is that your tyres actual pressure?) and what is the weight of your EV? The guys at Bquik recommend 40 lbs. but my tyres still look a tad 'under-inflated' when compared to yours.

I wish the tyre mfg. would list a weight range load per every 5 - 10 lbs of air pressure graduation in each of their tyre models.

All tires have a load index printed on the sidewall, which tells you the maximum safe weight loading:

post-163537-0-07510600-1440798478_thumb.

You can compare the load rating of the original (OEM) tires to work out what pressures your new tires need.

Here's a post I made a few years ago:

Rule of thumb here is: OEM tire load rating - new tire load rating + manufacturers recommended PSI

Here's the recommended pressures for the OEM tires on the EV:

post-163537-0-85767100-1440798601_thumb.

As an example, If I were to change the OEM GoodYear 265/50R20 107T tires for Yokohama Parada Spec-X 265/50R20 111V tires, the pressures would all need to go down 4 PSI.

Note that this rule of thumb is based on the assumption that tires with the same load index will have roughly the same sidewall stiffness - use as a guide only, and supplement with your own common sense, visual inspection and personal preferences.

Edited by IMHO

attachicon.gifrear34.jpg

Those are 20's ^

IMHO. what is the 0-100 on the Everest? I am sure that you have checked it on your phone app...thumbsup.gif

I actually haven't had a chance to find myself driving it on a flat, dry, straight piece of road without traffic yet :(

Let me get back to you on that :)

Re the Wheels again.Every dam Ride we get here they always manage to let an Accountant sign them off ,and penny pinch.You bought the top one, yet they replaced the Polished 22s with painted ones.Honda do just the same with their top ones here too..coffee1.gifsad.png