Jomtien Beach

soihok

No beach chairs and service on the beach. Apologies for the short post etc, as I using a small phone to post with.

Following yesterday's Nam Tok Jomtien affair at the end of Soi 5, we were confronted by no beach chair vendors today.

Is this everyday now?

Let's face it, Jomtien beach hasn't really got much going for it and by taking away the chair vendors who offered a service (hit and miss) for shade, food and drink, is rather negative and not really in the style of the place. There were less vendors always further along South side, so for those in need of no chairs and vendors had a choice.

Not really appealing now - not withstanding the floods yesterday as its a bit of a mess- but a bit of a shot in the foot by those in control if you ask me.

My Thai wife says "stupid".

I have to agree.

Anyway, off to Koh Samet on Saturday so, whatever

Cheers

• Like 2

Seems to look an ugly site with all those empty chairs,wholeheartedly agree that it better to hire chairs and sit where you please,not all massed together like a flock of sheep.

Not too mention all those empty chairs that are used to block off the beach then get stacked at night making the place very unsightly.

They leave it looking like a real slum every day. UGLY.

I say a chair for everybody that needs one..That would be fair........but no more empty chairs blocking off the beach!

Ok.

Points taken and understood.

It would be better to go 50/50 and set up beach chair areas in, say, 100 metres spacing of clear and empty beach.

All I can say about it that we turned around and went back to the place we stay at, I am sure that we are not the only people.

• Like 1

The unencumbered beach on Wednesdays is attractive, but it's a bit of a pain for those who want a rental chair or umbrella. And of course it does nothing to improve the view on the other 6 days of the week.

I always thought a better solution would be to have sections about 250M long, alternately with and without rental chairs etc. 250m is not too far to walk and is far enough that the chairs and umbrellas in other sections aren't too offensive.

Standard natural colours (e.g. sand, ocean blue) for chairs and umbrellas would be nice also, but as Thais love garish colours that's unlikely to happen.

• Like 1

Complaints that there are no deck chairs on the beach---

Complaints that a woman was insulted in Pattaya for sitting on the beach & not hiring a deck chair---

I am sure we will reach middle ground , sometime....................coffee1.gif

The best solution is set up a chair/umbrella when requested, any day, any time and put it where the customer wants it.

Then cart off the thousands of unused chairs and all their related stuff that makes the beachfront look like a shanty town slum.

I suggest the City build a nice looking 'snack bar/chair rental facility every 250 meters or so. Some 'legitimate' security people should be there too.

• Like 2

Myself, I'm heading back to Cambodia. Been there before and love their setups on the beach. Has an 'old world' charm about it and the people you encounter are all charming and laid back. It is so nice to have food selections and small conclaves of chairs and tables available which lends to a warmth long ago lost in Thailand. Have never witnessed gestapo like situations anywhere in the country and like I said, Camodies are so charming!

Ok.

Points taken and understood.

It would be better to go 50/50 and set up beach chair areas in, say, 100 metres spacing of clear and empty beach.

All I can say about it that we turned around and went back to the place we stay at, I am sure that we are not the only people.

There are areas where chairs are available.

And this cleared beach is just a one day thing.

I like to see the open space where you can walk, run, play ball games and it looks much nicer.

The prior circumstances where chairs were squashed in with zero space to walk and get to the sea was awful. There was even a case of a tourist being assaulted because she wanted to lie on the sand.......

The beach chair vendors were often behaving like Bangkok taxi drivers!

• Like 1

Your wife is correct but now, in Thailand, we have STUPID +, STUPID ++ and Jomtien gets a resounding STUPID +++ ! Anybody but me notice that this town also has no big box stores/hospitals/clinics not one fast food or pizza place and now nowhere to even sit on the beach. With a little more govt. work this could be the next Leper Colony !

Your wife is correct but now, in Thailand, we have STUPID +, STUPID ++ and Jomtien gets a resounding STUPID +++ ! Anybody but me notice that this town also has no big box stores/hospitals/clinics not one fast food or pizza place and now nowhere to even sit on the beach. With a little more govt. work this could be the next Leper Colony !

Sorry, are you being ironic.

There was a KFC place on the Jomtiem corner for as long as I can remember!

I believe gone now.

No shortage of places to get a snack.

Pizza, maybe Pan Pan?

Edited by jacko45k

I drove by the other day. Plenty of chairs available...Thousands of empty beach chairs set up in fact. Maybe 5% - 10% in use. Stupid to be blocking off the beach like that with empty chairs.

In the newly opened space, it was very busy with people enjoying the beach. Clearly more open space is needed.

Wouldn't it be much better to just rent a chair as needed and not block off half the beach with empty chairs? Not nice.

Sorry...no can do, being that's a good suggestion.....

Sorry, are you being ironic.

There was a KFC place on the Jomtiem corner for as long as I can remember!

I believe gone now.

No shortage of places to get a snack.

Pizza, maybe Pan Pan?

Huh? The KFC at Jomtien has been gone for nearly 15 years. Plenty of 7-11's though but I think the poster was referring to full service snacks that the beach chair vendors provide or the vendors walking the beach selling food.