French tourist killed crossing the road in Bophut

Lite Beer

French tourist killed crossing the road in Bophut

Fatal-road-accident-in-Bophut-March-27th

KOH SAMUI: -- At around 10pm tonight, 27th March 2015 a French lady was killed crossing the road outside Supot Electrical store in Bophut.

An eye witness to the aftermath said that there was a red Ducati lying on the road, other reports suggest it was a Honda CBR 150 another witness said Fatal road accident in Bophut March 27ththe woman was ploughed into by a big bike travelling from Bophut towards Maenam.

The woman, who it is thought died instantly, suffered horrific leg injuries in the accident. Many island residents are airing grave concerns for road safety in Samui on social media sites in the wake of this latest incident, many find a female tourist being hit while crossing a road that is not generally busy at that time of night, deeply disturbing.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-03-28

Many island residents are airing grave concerns for road safety in Samui

It will only be when the politicians give a crap about what other people say things will be fixed. They don't care about this now, they won't care about this in the future. Conduct yourself accordingly.

It will only be when the politicians give a crap about what other people say things will be fixed. They don't care about this now, they won't care about this in the future. Conduct yourself accordingly.

Everyday big bikes scream past my house here at Hua Thanon doing 150 kmh plus but a complete absence of law enforcement, after all this is Koh Samui, The worst are the frequent Malaysian big bike tours (look at me) forcing everyone off the road and behaving like they can't back home!

• Like 1

Pedestrians don't seem to realise that poor lighting plus oncoming headlights renders them invisible to drivers in the lane that they're crossing. The road betweeb Supot & Bkk Samui hospital is very dangerous in this respect.

RIP to the deceased & condolences to the family.

Re #43; One torch per family should be normal but you're lucky to see a single one, even at large gatherings like FV (fri), Maenam walking st (thu) or Petchurat (full moon night). Brighter street lights might help too, not least to offer reasonable vision through tinted windows.

Edited by evadgib

RIP

Maybe Thais should pick up on a Western Tradition

At an intersection when their has been a fatality then authories install a traffic Light AFTER THE FACTblink.png Like closing the gate after the horse has left

This is one cultural thing that I am sure Thais can embrace They seem to be good at this

Is it any wonder, after my now 4th trip to Chiang Mia I have come to the conclusion that the most dangerous place to cross the road anywhere in Thailand is at traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings.

No one takes much notice of any rules, most westerners think that having traffic light at these crossing would make them safe but the police and govt officials just put it all in the too hard basket...all traffic regulations in Thailand are just suggestions.

• Like 1

TV news showed a bright red Donnington-like Honda & reported that the rider, a local, was in a coma.

Around 2 weeks ago I caught a similar bike on dashcam on several nights in succession racing at high (100km+) speed on as many straight roads as he could find, inc the long stretch between the court & Naton. During each journey this same group (3 bikes) would whizz past & disappear, only to reappear in my rear view mirror a few mins later. I have no idea if this is the same bike or rider but would hope that the CCTV database is suitably trawled during any investigation.

(Yeah I know, TIT)

Everyday big bikes scream past my house here at Hua Thanon doing 150 kmh plus but a complete absence of law enforcement, after all this is Koh Samui, The worst are the frequent Malaysian big bike tours (look at me) forcing everyone off the road and behaving like they can't back home!

I presume this road is a 70 kph limit but it's certainly is not a motorway so max limit is 90kph but hey this is Samui so another person killed, no matter.

A general problem in Thailand is that the traffic police do not work at night.

Is it any wonder, after my now 4th trip to Chiang Mia I have come to the conclusion that the most dangerous place to cross the road anywhere in Thailand is at traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings.

No one takes much notice of any rules, most westerners think that having traffic light at these crossing would make them safe but the police and govt officials just put it all in the too hard basket...all traffic regulations in Thailand are just suggestions.

eh? How random was that reply? Chiang Mai? Traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings? Neither of any relevance here

• Like 1

As I recall there have been many post on other subjects where it has been stated the best way to get round the island is hire a bike, full bike licence not required???

Wonder if the bike rider had a full licence???

Just one of many issues regarding road safety in Thailand but probably the first after setting a higher standard driving test, after first eradicating the cheating and corruption at the test centres.

Very disturbing news. RIP.

+ 1

Unfortunately, I see many visitors, who are here from countries that drive on the other side of the road, just pull out into traffic or start to cross the road without looking to the right.

Quite a few times lately I have almost wiped out bikes or pedestrians who look to their left and then just go.

I am not suggesting that this is the case here - but these are accidents waiting to happen.

Please remember - look right, look left and then look right again. Then move is safe.

When I cross the busy streets here in Pattaya , I look left, right ,left, right , then left again and right again all the way across the soi. Just use your head....

I have heard these guys racing early mornings and seen a few idiots but why are they allowed on the Samui roads ? I followed gang off the boat at Donsak , about 30 bikes travelling upto and some over 140 Km /hr owning the road not letting anyone pass ….They went on the road down to Krabi ...It is a game to them but should not be allowed on Samui roads .

Just one of many issues regarding road safety in Thailand but probably the first after setting a higher standard driving test, after first eradicating the cheating and corruption at the test centres.

I believe that the test centre on Samui is trying to remove corruption.

Last year, my Thai business partner went to take her car and motorbike driving tests. A few things occured that gave me hope.

A policeman was there with his son and tried to bribe the examiner in order to get a result. They were both sent away, and the policement was told to get the son to come back on his own.

Another older (Thai) guy could not read. On the written test he was asking for help from the other applicants. He too was kicked out.

Two others were sent away because they could not prove that they had received the 'minimum no of hours' driving tuition from a registered instructor.

Of the 15 or so remaining people applying to take the tests that day - less than half passed. (My partner failed on parking - but passed the next day after another driving lesson.)

When I went to renew my licence - there was a farang couple renewing their licence at the same time. The wife was having trouble with the 'depth perception' test - so the husband tried to help out by giving instructions. Both were kicked out and told to come back another day.

Sadly - none of this makes any difference with tourists riding bikes with no protection, relevant experiece or even a proper licence. And as for local and foreign hoons getting tanked up and pretending that they are Barry Sheen........

..................nuff said.

To put things into context - Samui is not unique in having this problem. In lots of countries - traffic accidents are a major cause of death/injury.

How many school children that we see every day riding bikes, with 2 or 3 passengers have passed a test ? How many wear helmets / It seems accepted by locals and police ..

• Like 1

Koh Samui, Surat Thani:- A 68-year-old French woman was killed by a speeding big-bike motorcycle on Koh Samui road late Friday night, police said.

Pol Lt Yossakorn Thongnoon, an officer on duty of Bophud police station, was alerted of the accident at 00:30 am Saturday, shortly after the crash.

The police officer said the accident victim was later identified as Maria Josie Baldek.

Yossakorn and a medical team from the Samui Hospital rushed to the scene in Moo 1 village in Tambon Bophud. The accident happened in front of an electric appliance shop.

Police and rescuers of the foundation and medical officers found the body of the French woman lying on the middle of the road. Her left leg was cut off.

Lying about 20 meters away was a Honda CBR300 motorcycle with a license plate of Kor Por 0139. The motorcycle was completely damaged.

The rider of the motorcycle was identified as Jettiphan Yodsroy, 19. He was also injured and rescuers rushed him to the Samui Hospital.

Witnesses told police that the woman walked from her hotel room to have dinner. She then she crossed the road to return to her room on the opposite side.

Eyewitnesses told police that they saw Jettiphan speeding his motorcycle and hit the French woman.

The impact caused her left leg to be severed and she died instantly.

Following the crash, the motorcycle continued to move forward for about 20 meters before it stopped and Jettiphan was also injured.

Police will arrest and charge him with reckless riding of a motorcycle, causing death.

thaivisa-news.png.pagespeed.ce.ASDmYCLRp

-- © thaivisa.com

Firstly, R.I.P to the Poor victim.

This is yet another example of a lawless Island. It seems that anyone can ride a big bike. Thailand is one of the few countries in the world where someone with no license can rent a big bike! I could suggest many ways to improve road safety but sadly Greed rules here!

It happened at about 10 pm as pictures were on facebook already.

She did not die instantly according to reports here , she died from blood loss at the side of the road .

I cant quite figure out how this happened apart from the guy on the bike not having his lights on or lack of judgment by the woman.

The road there is straight in one direction for over a km and in the other direction you can see around 200m from where the accident was. Plus these bikes make some noise compared to your average bike.

No doubt as always here though nothing will be done and she will just be another number added to the statistics!

R.I.P.

Indifference by drivers and those trusted with public safety. Poor lighting and road engineering, including enforced speed limits. Insufficient education of the public and of potential, future drivers. A seeming lack of political will to correct these deficiencies.

I don't have the answers, just observations. RIP Dear Lady.