Thai Airlines Face Bans Over Possible Safety Issues

Jacob Maslow

Now if my understanding of this is right, the issue is more with Thai civil aviation than with the specific airlines. If that is so, if Thai airspace is unsafe, then shouldn't they ban not only Thai airlines charter flights, but also stop all international airlines from entering that dangerous airspace? Not only that would be logical with the safety concern, that would also deal with the mai pen rai response when that information first leaked out several weeks ago. Attitude readjustment, anyone?

Edited by scavenger

Now if my understanding of this is right, the issue is more with Thai civil aviation than with the specifics airlines. If that is so, if athai airspace is unsafe, then shouldn't they ban only Thai airlines charter flights, but stop all international airlines from entering that dangerous airspace? Not only that we be logical with the safety concern, that would also deal with the mai pen rai response when that information first leeked out several weeks ago. Attitude readjustment, anyone?

Interesting point. So you are suggesting that if all the unsafe Thai aircraft are removed

from Thai airspace, that would then make the airspace safe for international airlines

to enter ? A bold thought sir, I salute you !!!

Removing Thai aircrafts? No, this is Thailand's sovereign space. I was rather thinking alog the lines of keeping Thai aircrafts in their beloved airspace, and ours out of it, until our safety matters. I wonder what numbers TAT would boast of then...That seems to be the only realistic counter-measure to the mai pen rai attitude.

Edited by scavenger
  • Like 1

The US and the EU will do the same. Once the ICAO report is official they will do their own audits which will come to the same exact conclusion and then they will take the same actions. These other countries don't have the same process / audit requirements and accept the ICAO report and take action based on that.

The management of the airlines in Thailand know the difference between right and wrong. They shouldn't be allowed to use the poor oversight of the local aviation authority as an excuse for their lack of safety. Thai Airways should hire management from outside of the country immediately. It's the only way to restore the airline to its previous glory. Emirates uses foreign management, and it's a great airline.

The management of the airlines in Thailand know the difference between right and wrong. They shouldn't be allowed to use the poor oversight of the local aviation authority as an excuse for their lack of safety. Thai Airways should hire management from outside of the country immediately. It's the only way to restore the airline to its previous glory. Emirates uses foreign management, and it's a great airline.

uh oh big face loss for the master race to accept there............hire johnny foreigner, I'm sure all the rosey brigade will agree Thais can do it perfectly well....................hmmmmmmm whats that ? oh right I forgotcrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m

Edited by kannot

Ok I will bite.

What are the safety issues?

They are Thai, surely enough as the words safety and Thai are not usually associated.

of course they are associated , you just need to insert " lack of" anywhere for Thailand

When did ICAO inform Thai authorities of it's findings? The response that corrective action would commence as soon as possible is not really good enough when lives are at risk.

• Like 1

So we should be surprised about this? Thai Airways has always been over-rated IMHOgiggle.gif

Now if one wants talk about Don Muang, it was always a great airport....

The new airport, which should aptly be named Thaksin International, has been plaqued with many mis-forgivings.....

Sunken tarmacs, and the pilots from Thai Airways are not that great....

So what is Thainess? Just a thought....

kilosierra.....coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

This is fantastic news....

Thailand needs a good spanking, so they begin to understand reality.

Its time to get out of the dark ages and replace witch doctors with qualified people

I can imagine all the amulets in front the pilots... Nuff said!

By the time I got hold of this topic everyone had crash landed, when you look at the International scoreboard, Thailand is a litany of train wrecks , this is not another good look, just shows the sloppy administration in place and if Thai International is involved it is goodbye OZ and Kiwi flights , I can tell you all , every-time a Garuda (Indo) arrives in OZ it is inspected , to get around this problem they always use new planes. bah.gif

• Like 1

. This foreign management thing sounds like a good idea but it would be like being handed the poisoned chalice, I could only imagine what kind of problems a foreign managment would come up against if they were to introduce things like promoting people on their merits,actually verifying qualifications etc.
  • Like 1

. This foreign management thing sounds like a good idea but it would be like being handed the poisoned chalice, I could only imagine what kind of problems a foreign managment would come up against if they were to introduce things like promoting people on their merits,actually verifying qualifications etc.

I agree with you. It would be very difficult to change the company culture at Thai Airways, but not impossible. Sir Timothy Charles Clark has done a great job at Emirates as president and CEO, and he ran SriLanka Airlines before that. SriLanka had similar problems as Thai Airways: rampant nepotism and cronyism, poor operating practices and etc. Thai Airways shouldn't wait until it's too late to turn things around. They need new management now.

• Like 2

In the reports they say that on the routes affected "no changes of aircraft are allowed". TG seem to be always changing their aircraft; you can never be sure what aircraft you will be flying on. If this restriction is extended to TG they will have a serious problem. Or does it already apply to TG into Korea and Japan?

Edited by pj123

Ok I will bite.

What are the safety issues?

Take your pick: Thaksin or Islam.....................coffee1.gif

WOW… Thanks for the clarification..

So again I ask…What are the safety issues?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813149-nok-air-flight-faces-technical-problems-delayed-six-hours/

A lot of foreign carrier have sometime the same problem...... SIA A380 has been return to airport after pressure failure due to a door in May 2014.......

If there are US and European ban about the DCA safety concern, this will not touch airlines like Thai Airways, NokAir, Thai air Asia or Bangkok air who have got good safety record, (Thai has support of Lufthansa about engineering and these carriers are good Boeing and Airbus costumers )....

It will concern exotic airlines like Jet Asia Airlines or Orient Thai..... in June 2014 a Jet Asia Airlines B767 (Leased by air Madagascar) has been blocked one month at CDG airport by DGAC for failure to have good document about the aircraft.....

The problem DCA give a lot of licence to exotic airlines without know if their have all qualification for this type of operation

• Like 2

Thai airlines face bans after safety review
By Coconuts Bangkok

thai.crash_.jpg
ABOVE: A Thai Airways jet crash landed on Sept. 8, 2013. The next day the airline ordered the logo painted over to try to "hide" its identity. Photo: Wings magazine

BANGKOK: -- Authorities are scrambling to get a ban of new flights by Thai airlines by Japan lifted as Korean officials consider the same measures due to safety concerns.

Although international aviation officials have not made public their findings, the UN’s International Civil Aviation Organization has flagged the kingdom’s airlines including Thai Airways, Thai AirAsia X, NokScoot a “significant safety concern,” leading Tokyo to block all new flights.

The ban is not only embarrassing but potentially costly at the beginning of a peak travel season for the Songkran Festival. Existing flights are not affected.

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-03-30

Perhaps I missed it, but I don't recollect seeing any similar announcement in regard to Malaysian airlines.

And why would there be?

... perhaps you missed the fact that the Malaysian aircraft crashes were not as a result of the same failures as these bans.

• Like 2

It is a common practice to paint over the Logo following an incident, although it does no good unless you paint the whole aircraft. Everybody knows the Livery of most airlines.

Why is the "H" are they bringing up something that happened in 2013 ??

Further, until the IACO releases to the public there findings there is a lot of unnecessary posting about something no one knows about. From what I have read it may be directed at the Air Ministry and not the major airlines in Thailand.

But, as usual everybody has to take a punch !!

• Like 2