Changing plugs for your appliances

Morakot

In a recent post in this forum, a poster found his washing machine not properly earthed as an incorrect plug for Thai sockets was supplied. A common problem!

I just replaced a few plugs, but the selection for earthed plugs (at least in homepro) seems limited. It's either a 10A with a diode one or some rather wobbly 16A one, where the cables are "coiled" around screws (see the blue one in the pictures). The usage of the one I opted for is not great if you have international sockets, as the cable will be sidewards, but fine for standard Thai sockets.

What replacements plugs do you have?

post-155923-0-18383200-1427627123_thumb.

post-155923-0-45692600-1427627260_thumb.

post-155923-0-88624600-1427627435_thumb.

post-155923-0-00895300-1427627571_thumb.

post-155923-0-56681100-1427627644_thumb.

post-155923-0-48216700-1427627705_thumb.

post-155923-0-07657500-1427627862_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

Yeah TiT, it's a complete mix and match, if you are going to change your plugs, make sure you have the right socket to suit.

I like the snieder range as they can take my UK plugs, but you cannot use side by side.

So almost every location in my house has a different type of socket.

The 3 pin snieder with the haco flex coming down is very good.

• Like 1

I like the Haco ones (no universal outlets), they come in 2-pin (polarised) as well as the 3-pin versions.

Despite looking fragile they are very robust, dropped many, stood on several, broken none.

WonPro do a similar looking one which has the cord in the right place to be OK in a universal outlet.

• Like 1

I would never use that blue 'thingy' lol

thumbsup.gif

I also the type in picture 5, and I would like to point out that the terminations are different! Neutral and Earth are reversed.

How do you mean? Yellow/green is earth, isn't.

What will happen if, L and N are mixed up? My house is consistently wired for black = N and grey = L, which I didn't realised in the beginning when changed some of the wiring... Now I'm not sure and ought to check each time before I do something.

Edited by Morakot

I like the Haco ones (no universal outlets), they come in 2-pin (polarised) as well as the 3-pin versions.

Despite looking fragile they are very robust, dropped many, stood on several, broken none.

Yes, they are quite sturdy. Does the diode consume a lot of energy or this negligible?

WonPro do a similar looking one which has the cord in the right place to be OK in a universal outlet.

That's great! Thanks Crossy

Edited by Morakot

A L-N swap isn't an issue for 99.99% of modern appliances, that does not excuse outlets being wired incorrectly, chances are you have the 0.01% sad.png

The LED / neon consumes a negligible but measurable amount of power (unless you have hundreds on 24x7).

• Like 1

I just measured a bare Haco plug using my Kill-A-watt.

Read a consumption of 0.3 Watts, over a year 24x7 that would cost about 600 Baht, seems a lot, can somebody check my maths please.

I may be removing the LEDs from my plugs.

Hopefully the Kill-A-Watt is not accurate at low consumptions.

• Like 1

Read a consumption of 0.3 Watts, over a year 24x7 that would cost about 600 Baht, seems a lot, can somebody check my maths please.

I calculate it at 2.6 kWh or units over a year

Phew, evidently too much Chang :)

I concur, 2.6 units per year, 11 Baht. :)

• Like 1

So do I. A unit costs about 2 - 4 baht?

But either way the LED is mostly not really required.

So do I. A unit costs about 2 - 4 baht?

But either way the LED is mostly not really required.

As i remember the Haco plugs it was a neon with a resistor rather than an LED but you can remove it if you wish. The plugs were a little small to wire if you had a thick cable coming in under the cord clamp and I did find the top covers tended to pull off as the 2 small self-tapping screws holding the cover on failed. Better plugs (although a lot uglier !) were the black rubber circular ones from electrical dealers - they resembled more of an industrial design with an external metal cord clamp.

• Like 1

Yeah TiT, it's a complete mix and match, if you are going to change your plugs, make sure you have the right socket to suit.

I like the snieder range as they can take my UK plugs, but you cannot use side by side.

So almost every location in my house has a different type of socket.

The 3 pin snieder with the haco flex coming down is very good.

I cannot find Sneider on the net, do you mean Schneider?

Best do do as I have done! Get on ebay and order all uk fittings and have your house wired UK style. Can even get a plug tester on ebay which when pluged in lets you know if the wiring is correct.

Postage for these parts was not to expensive.

thumbsup.gif

I also the type in picture 5, and I would like to point out that the terminations are different! Neutral and Earth are reversed.

What will happen if, L and N are mixed up? My house is consistently wired for black = N and grey = L, which I didn't realised in the beginning when changed some of the wiring... Now I'm not sure and ought to check each time before I do something.

A real hazard is the two-pin plug which can be put into a socket either way. An electrical expert once warned me that this means that the appliance can be 'live', even though it might be switched 'off'. i.e. the power runs to the appliance and is stopped on the return by the switch. Off course, many Thai outlets don't even have a switch.

When I was renting a 'modern' house with 3-pin sockets throughout, I used an earthed power board (many are not). To overcome the Thai problem of having a different plug for each kitchen item, I bought a bag of Aussie plugs, and an Aussie powerboard with switches and overload switch and changed everything over.

Maybe something to get on your next trip to your country, is a bag of your own plugs and powerboard.

It was interesting to note that China has/is converting to the Aussie plug system.

thumbsup.gif

A real hazard is the two-pin plug which can be put into a socket either way. An electrical expert once warned me that this means that the appliance can be 'live', even though it might be switched 'off'. i.e. the power runs to the appliance and is stopped on the return by the switch. Off course, many Thai outlets don't even have a switch.

When I was renting a 'modern' house with 3-pin sockets throughout, I used an earthed power board (many are not). To overcome the Thai problem of having a different plug for each kitchen item, I bought a bag of Aussie plugs, and an Aussie powerboard with switches and overload switch and changed everything over.

Maybe something to get on your next trip to your country, is a bag of your own plugs and powerboard.

It was interesting to note that China has/is converting to the Aussie plug system.

Any appliance that really has a 2-pin plug (i.e. not including shucko plugs that don't have a protruding earth pin) is going to be double insulated, so no exterior part will be live, even if A-N are reversed.

For those of us thinking of using 'home country' outlets etc. please consider the following.

There is nothing inherently dangerous about Thai wiring per-sé, it's the implementation that is the issue.

The Thai regs such as they are require a new installation to have:-

• Front end RCBO protection
  • 3-pin outlets
  • Local ground rod with MEN connection

Pretty much what you would expect as a minimum back home.

If you do go with UK / Aus or whatever style wiring, it's important not to mix-and-match regulations. For example installing a UK style ring-final on a 32A breaker and then fitting Thai outlets could constitute a significant fire risk due to the plugs not having internal fuses. Nothing to stop you putting UK outlets on a Thai style 20A radial.

You will have to change the plug on anything you buy here (warranty issues).

Also consider should you wish to sell your home, converting all those UK outlets to Thai will cost, Thai outlets don't fit UK boxes.

If you want to use a western set of regs, choose an appropriate one, AS3000 (Aussie) is a good match for Thai conditions and practices.

And remember, any new build is subject to inspection by MEA/PEA before a permanent supply is granted. Doing something that is not to Thai code may well give you issues with that, even if you consider what has been done is better.

IMHO - Go for quality Thai fittings, wired properly and everything will be just fine.

• Like 1

Never had issues with plugs. If you buy the right adapter, you do not need to rewire a plug. We have a good circuit breaker box...with three settings for amps. I always buy adapters that can handle heavy amps, and the fuse box shuts down if there are any issues.

Edited by slipperylobster

For those of us thinking of using 'home country' outlets etc. please consider the following.

There is nothing inherently dangerous about Thai wiring per-sé, it's the implementation that is the issue.

• 3-pin outlets

If you do go with UK / Aus or whatever style wiring, it's important not to mix-and-match regulations. For example installing a UK style ring-final on a 32A breaker and then fitting Thai outlets could constitute a significant fire risk due to the plugs not having internal fuses. Nothing to stop you putting UK outlets on a Thai style 20A radial.

Also consider should you wish to sell your home, converting all those UK outlets to Thai will cost, Thai outlets don't fit UK boxes.

If you want to use a western set of regs, choose an appropriate one, AS3000 (Aussie) is a good match for Thai conditions and practices.

And remember, any new build is subject to inspection by MEA/PEA before a permanent supply is granted. Doing something that is not to Thai code may well give you issues with that, even if you consider what has been done is better.

IMHO - Go for quality Thai fittings, wired properly and everything will be just fine.

As you say, the implementation is the issue... a bit like the laws and the MiB, no?

You can change all the plugs you want to 3-pin but if your home doesn't have the ground socket wired to an actual ground buss and ground rod, it's a waste of money. If budget is an issue, then as a minimum get your 'wet' appliances like shower units and washing machines earthed via the local ground spike method.

My experience with MEA/MPA 'approval' about 5 years ago in Udon involved beer, smokes and lunch at a local restaurant.

I hear you about using 'quality Thai fittings'... but do they exist? On my last and only build so far, I took on the easy task of installing the circular flouro lighting as I was tall and I am UK trade qualified. All 6 of them were GTE Sylvania branded, new in original boxes. Planning ahead, I opened one and used it as a template for drilling the mounting screw holes for all 6 fixtures... as you would efficiently do back home. Wrong!!! After the first one was affixed, none of the holes lined up on the second one, or the third.... the whole bloody lot. It looks like the factory hole stamper must have missed the blanks and the 3 mounting holes were arbitrarily punched through before boxing. Take note here: Asian manufacturing quality control is inversely proportional to farang blood pressure!!!

Next time I build a house in LOS*, I am bringing all the electricals from the UK (with plenty spares)... and my mate who is a certified sparky to supervise the twerps that fob themselves off a 'lectricians here.

(* or please just shoot me)

you are not allowed to change plugs.... that is a restricted occupation. You need a changing plugs work permit!.... sheesh.. I thought you guys had been here a while!

it will most likely the same in there home country as wellw00t.gif butcowboy.gif will becowboy.gif

post-2109-0-23551100-1427687124_thumb.jp

These are very hard to find ( at least in Pattaya ) I'm still on the look out for some.... only 8 years looking.

Many thanks to Crossy for sending me some in the post all that time ago I still owe you a beer or 5.

attachicon.gifpost-59304-0-16325600-1427680234.jpg

These are very hard to find ( at least in Pattaya ) I'm still on the look out for some.... only 8 years looking.

Many thanks to Crossy for sending me some in the post all that time ago I still owe you a beer or 5.

According to HomePro, they are in-stock at both Pattaya stores: http://www.directtoshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/directtoshop/adapter-wa-gf%28r5b%29-wonpro-p161248

• Like 1

• 3-pin outlets

As you say, the implementation is the issue... a bit like the laws and the MiB, no?

You can change all the plugs you want to 3-pin but if your home doesn't have the ground socket wired to an actual ground buss and ground rod, it's a waste of money. If budget is an issue, then as a minimum get your 'wet' appliances like shower units and washing machines earthed via the local ground spike method.

My experience with MEA/MPA 'approval' about 5 years ago in Udon involved beer, smokes and lunch at a local restaurant.

I hear you about using 'quality Thai fittings'... but do they exist? On my last and only build so far, I took on the easy task of installing the circular flouro lighting as I was tall and I am UK trade qualified. All 6 of them were GTE Sylvania branded, new in original boxes. Planning ahead, I opened one and used it as a template for drilling the mounting screw holes for all 6 fixtures... as you would efficiently do back home. Wrong!!! After the first one was affixed, none of the holes lined up on the second one, or the third.... the whole bloody lot. It looks like the factory hole stamper must have missed the blanks and the 3 mounting holes were arbitrarily punched through before boxing. Take note here: Asian manufacturing quality control is inversely proportional to farang blood pressure!!!

Next time I build a house in LOS*, I am bringing all the electricals from the UK (with plenty spares)... and my mate who is a certified sparky to supervise the twerps that fob themselves off a 'lectricians here.

(* or please just shoot me)

My experience with that one is they will do it their way regardless. Better off to get your mate to do it and save the hassle of trying to fix it latter.