Changing plugs for your appliances

Morakot

One thing that doesn´t seem to have been mentioned is that the plugs you buy over here with the 2 parallel flat pins are American (style) and therefore are only rated for 110 volts not 220 volts. Although I have never had any problems with them because of this I always allow for dividing the current rating of the plug in half (15 amps is only good for 7.5 amps, hopefully).

One thing that doesn´t seem to have been mentioned is that the plugs you buy over here with the 2 parallel flat pins are American (style) and therefore are only rated for 110 volts not 220 volts. Although I have never had any problems with them because of this I always allow for dividing the current rating of the plug in half (15 amps is only good for 7.5 amps, hopefully).

Interesting. What led you to this theory? Actually, the voltage rating is not so important for domestic switches, etc. but the amp rating is usually clearly labeled. And, a 15 amps in Thailand would be 15 amps in the states.

Best do do as I have done! Get on ebay and order all uk fittings and have your house wired UK style. Can even get a plug tester on ebay which when pluged in lets you know if the wiring is correct.

Postage for these parts was not to expensive.

Yup : English plugs are the best type you can use.

I brought a load of English strip-sockets and a box of plugs here and now have them all around the house with one of the heavy duty 3-pin round plugs to go into the wall.

No more zaps from the PC case or blue flashes as I plug something in and watch it wobbling in the socket. Plus when I plug something in, it works every time.

I wouldn't fit the UK sockets to the walls though - I can imagine few buyers would want that ...

attachicon.gifpost-59304-0-16325600-1427680234.jpg

These are very hard to find ( at least in Pattaya ) I'm still on the look out for some.... only 8 years looking.

Many thanks to Crossy for sending me some in the post all that time ago I still owe you a beer or 5.

According to HomePro, they are in-stock at both Pattaya stores: http://www.directtoshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/directtoshop/adapter-wa-gf%28r5b%29-wonpro-p161248

Thanks for that I must admit to not having looked in Homepro for at least 3 years.

85 baht per piece think I owe Crossy a box of beer now ( inflation )

Edited by johng

All 6 of them were GTE Sylvania branded

Remember "Sylvania" is a brand name that was sold and most available here are made in India.

In 1993 GTE exited the lighting business to concentrate on its core telecomms operations. The European, Asian and Latin American operations are now under the ownership of Havells Sylvania. With the acquisition of the North American division by Osram GmbH in January 1993 Osram Sylvania Inc. was established.[2]

The downside to use of US plugs is more that they are designed for twice the wire size (so cord clamp may need adjustment) - that they are notated as 120v has more to do with a different type of plug used for 240v in US - the insulation capacity of all I have seen should be fine for normal 220v use. And they make good contact is most local outlets (which can not be said for two pin round plugs - which only the best outlets seem to make a good connection.

Most places I have lived have sockets like this, most 3 pin plugs look like this so I just buy the earth pin adapter as shown. Apologies if the photos are in the wrong order.

I just brought 5(their entire stock)from HomePro in Kanchanaburi for 79B they was on sale.

Thanks also to IMHO.

P S

Also found out last week,the earth cables weren't connected and no earth rod!!!.

<deleted> bloody cowboy's, all fixed now,but could have been nasty

^ Safety-cut is the brand mostly used in Thailand :)

Yes I have thanks,but found out the well pump wasn't wired correctly and the RCD wouldn't have protected us. I'm not an electrician,but when round with the one who fixed all the problems(also added extra breakers, sockets and lamps)with his multimeter and checked everything,including tripping the RCD.

A bit scary to find out how bad it was

Edited by MAZ3

He works in a large factory full time and was recommended as a good sparky and recently did a house with similar problems,all too common here unfortunately.

Good point about the times but I didn't ask.

Thanks for your concern.

Cheers

Edited by MAZ3

• 3 weeks later...

A quick follow up,checked the In-Laws washing machine,it only had a twin pin plug and the earth strip was broken anyway. I put on a 3 pin plug,what a crappy designed plug,but it was the only one Homepro had!

Edited by MAZ3

I used to buy plugs in US on trips home but now that not travelling get on Ebay when required (for stock). Also local electric/lighting shops often have a much better selection than the major stores.

Thanks,I'll check them out.

• 4 years later...
15 hours ago, plfomylo said:

Sorry, but is it useful / important to change plugs ? thanks.

If the plug you have fits the outlets you have or you can get an adaptor then no need to replace the plugs.

The important exception is the Schuko plug, it looks like this:-

electricity-type-EF-plug-1-249x300.jpg

This WILL fit in a Thai outlet but won't make the ground connection which may lead to a hazardous situation. At one time you could get adaptors but they seem to have vanished from the market.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If the plug you have fits the outlets you have or you can get an adaptor then no need to replace the plugs.

The important exception is the Schuko plug, it looks like this:-

electricity-type-EF-plug-1-249x300.jpg

This WILL fit in a Thai outlet but won't make the ground connection which may lead to a hazardous situation. At one time you could get adaptors but they seem to have vanished from the market.

Not very sexy but does the job.  I ordered this from Lazada:

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i261440047-s402335233.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

• Like 1