Condo bylaws regarding hallway storage.

I have just moved into a condo (renting) and there are two ladies across the hall who basically store about 30 pairs of shoes and 2 shoe racks in front of their door. It smells and also looks terrible. See photo...

Can they legally do this ? Are there any normal bylaws (I have not seen since I rent) that talk about not being allowed ? Are there any fire regulations that do not permit this? The front office said they can put shoes there if they want because they own the area. I do however question their thinking. I have talked to the owner and they basically told me that they will do want they want.

I would like to show the office something about laws or regulations that are being broken. What are my options, any advise ?post-40333-1427786194845_thumb.jpg

In most condos this is not allowed. Some people ignore the rules however. Walk to all the other floors to check if its the same there. If not and this is the only room doing it then they are in the wrong. However, you need to be careful about this. You just moved in and your starting trouble with the neighbours! Close your door and ignore it!! Who cares what it looks like.Its not exactly a front garden is it!

If you do want to complain write an anonymous letter to the office. Nothing will be done about it but it might make you feel better. Do not approach them directly. Good neighbours are hard to find so don't alienate them straight away.Good Luck1

Or just look the other way? It aint your door so whats the issue? The smell u get through about 10sec every time u pass it. What happens when some of your neighbors starts cooking? U go to call the landlord about the smell too?

I asked my landlord at my condo and he said, fine no problem so I have a shoe rack as well though it is closed so no smells and other than a wooden box you dont see it.

The condo we own (well the wife) is strict about somethings and not about others.

STRICT:

Once had vistors who left their shoes outside our front door for 30mins- Front office pulled us up on it

Put up hanging baskets on the balcony (only 4th floor and they were secured)- Front office again on our case

Parked slightly to the left inside the car park tram lines, but there was plenty of room for the car next to us to get in- Again pulled us up

Put one item of laundry over the balcony rail as the clothes horse was full- Pulled up yet again

SABAI SABAI:

Two drunken Japanese renters decided to wake me up at 3am while going skinny dipping in the pool directly below my balcony (both blokes otherwise I'd have encouraged it)- I had to firstly ask them politely to keep quiet, then threaten a beating when being polite approach failed.

Not supposed to have pets- they know we have 2 cats and haven't said a thing in the 18 months we've had them.

Overall I guess it depends on the condo committee, and whether they deem certain things as important. And just a guess but I don't believe the area outside their door is their area as it's deemed communal in my condo.

My advice is leave it......complaining over something so trivial could well get you in trouble especially If the "shoe" tennants are popular figures amongst the staff and tennants.

Are there any normal bylaws (I have not seen since I rent) that talk about not being allowed ?

Each condo has its own regulations (or bye-laws, as some translators call it). Check what the regulations of your condo say. Talk to your condo's Juristic Person Manager.

• Like 1

Yes, the rules & regs vary from building to building but they usually contain a clause about not leaving anything in common areas and a vaguer clause about not causing a nuisance to others. Smells are included in the latter.

Your building rules & regs must be provided to co-owners on request (as a tenant you may not benefit from this right), but the interpretation of these is entirely down to the committee/management (with management tending not to care about anything unless the committee forces them to care).

From the photo I would say that entrance-way with the shoes looks like common property and does not belong to the unit, but the only way to tell for sure is to look at the chanote. If the area is part of the unit then the only possible complaint you could have is the smell or maybe a fire risk, as the shoes are apparently not causing a physical obstruction in a common corridor.

Edited by KittenKong

The photo does not show the offending unit to be along the hallway. Rather, that entrance door is at the end of a hallway or the entrance door is set in from the hallway.

I do not see the shoe racks and such obstructing free movement of others along the hallway, and thus do not post a hazard in times of emergency.

The area in question is strictly common area and not available for personal use.

However ,if the Rules & Regs permit -then that's the rule.

To change to rules -either way needs a min.50% acceptance vote at a general meeting

If no rule exists then it is a legal obligation of the JPM to have those -and all other shoes etc. removed.

If he/she is reluctant to act to enforce the legal position-then its time for your land lord to visit the land office.

In our Condo you will get no warning. Disposed of by management by morning.

I really doubt this would happen in any condo in Thaland, Switzerland maybe another matter!

In my building it's the same. Anything left in the corridor is removed. End of story.

My building is in Jomtien, not Switzerland.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In our Condo you will get no warning. Disposed of by management by morning.

I really doubt this would happen in any condo in Thaland, Switzerland maybe another matter!

In my building it's the same. Anything left in the corridor is removed. End of story.

My building is in Jomtien, not Switzerland.

and disposed of by the management? thats the bit i really find unlikely esp in a condo where they are dealing with co-owners.

and disposed of by the management? thats the bit i really find unlikely esp in a condo where they are dealing with co-owners.

It depends on what "disposed of" actually means.

In my building the things are removed and put somewhere downstairs pending retrieval by their owner. Sometimes people dont bother retrieving them, and then they go in the trash.

Generally someone will knock on the door before removing the items, and if anyone answers they have the opportunity to move the items away from the common area.

In our condo in Sukhumvit Bangkok, a photo of the offending matter is posted on the notice board (opposite the lift doors on ground floor as you exit) and items removed to a store room if no action has been taken by owner within 2 days. An email is also sent (registering an email address is voluntary, need to sign disclaimer if you dont)

I suspect that the condo in question was designed with the entrance way set in from the hallway. If so, each unit can place a shoe cabinet in front of their entrance door without obstructing the free movement of others in the hallway.

The occupants of this particular unit would do well to use a shoe cabinet with doors to keep visual sight neat and tidy. The juristic office should advise accordingly.

I suspect that the condo in question was designed with the entrance way set in from the hallway. If so, each unit can place a shoe cabinet in front of their entrance door without obstructing the free movement of others in the hallway.

The occupants of this particular unit would do well to use a shoe cabinet with doors to keep visual sight neat and tidy. The juristic office should advise accordingly.

Absolutely incorrect -unless the area in question is on the condo title deed(i.e. detailing private area)

Condos only have private area and common area.

Co owners cannot use common area-unless it is a specifically granted concession which will be detailed in the Rules & Regs.

If it is detailed in the Rules & Regs then ok. That said this concession is illegal -in the strict sense of the condo act.

Absolutely incorrect -unless the area in question is on the condo title deed(i.e. detailing private area)

Co owners cannot use common area-unless it is a specifically granted concession which will be detailed in the Rules & Regs.

If it is detailed in the Rules & Regs then ok. That said this concession is illegal -in the strict sense of the condo act.

So would you want to insist on your right to sit in front of the entrance door of another? It is within the common area so any co-owner is only exercising his rights to the common area.

So would you want to insist on your right to sit in front of the entrance door of another? It is within the common area so any co-owner is only exercising his rights to the common area.

So if I can 'park 'my shoes outside my door by extension I can park my motorbike.

Common means that it is not available for control by an individual co -owners

So if I can 'park 'my shoes outside my door by extension I can park my motorbike.

Common means that it is not available for control by an individual co -owners

Sure, if you can get it up the stairs...

When we come across a condo that has recessed entrance ways, we should understand that the developer had given up some sales area on the request of the designer.

The intent is to let occupants decorate their entrances, to avoid the frequent comments that the hallway looks like that of a dormitory, or some here called an asylum.

When the co-owners and the juristic office understand this plus point in their project, they would use it to class up their project.

Steal a pair of shoes a couple of times a week and toss them in the dumpster.

Should make her rethink leaving all the shoes outside the door in the common area.

Blame a ghost.

Don't get caught by the CCTV, like some who were caught stealing ladies' undies...

When we come across a condo that has recessed entrance ways, we should understand that the developer had given up some sales area on the request of the designer.

The intent is to let occupants decorate their entrances, to avoid the frequent comments that the hallway looks like that of a dormitory, or some here called an asylum.

When the co-owners and the juristic office understand this plus point in their project, they would use it to class up their project.

I have been through hundreds of Condominium's in Thailand through the design/construction phase until fully occupied 10 years down the line, and i have not once ever ever ever heard of anything like this. Not only would a developer want to keep the doors, corridors uniform, but even less give away saleable space, and even far less would a Thai designer request this of a developer.

Having worked with many developers every single one of them goes to length to ensure conformity of everything in the entrance/corridors and specifically prevents people having the option of installing anything, even a door bell etc on the outside unless it is of a selected brand/design.

I have never heard any positive comment about people decorating their own doors, only negative comments because invariably due to different people liking different things its a contentious issue, not to mention technically illegal as its common area.

I would love to see the reaction of buyers entering a show suite and being told by the developer as a plus point, everyone can decorate their entrances how they likebiggrin.png

For the OP, unless it specifically mentions it in the rules and regs it is illegal. You have as much right over that space as they do and could park your shoes and belongings there to if you wanted. The problem happens when there is weak management who are afraid to take action, or are simply not bothered about it given leaving your shoes outside is common place here. You might have more luck if you requested your landlord to take this issue up on your behalf. In my experience management companies when dealing with issues like this would look for reasons to avoid having to tackle it head on, and you being a renter will just give them an additional excuse to avoid doing anything.

I have been through hundreds of Condominium's in Thailand through the design/construction phase until fully occupied 10 years down the line, and i have not once ever ever ever heard of anything like this. Not only would a developer want to keep the doors, corridors uniform, but even less give away saleable space, and even far less would a Thai designer request this of a developer.

Having worked with many developers every single one of them goes to length to ensure conformity of everything in the entrance/corridors and specifically prevents people having the option of installing anything, even a door bell etc on the outside unless it is of a selected brand/design.

I have never heard any positive comment about people decorating their own doors, only negative comments because invariably due to different people liking different things its a contentious issue, not to mention technically illegal as its common area.

I would love to see the reaction of buyers entering a show suite and being told by the developer as a plus point, everyone can decorate their entrances how they likebiggrin.png

For the OP, unless it specifically mentions it in the rules and regs it is illegal. You have as much right over that space as they do and could park your shoes and belongings there to if you wanted. The problem happens when there is weak management who are afraid to take action, or are simply not bothered about it given leaving your shoes outside is common place here. You might have more luck if you requested your landlord to take this issue up on your behalf. In my experience management companies when dealing with issues like this would look for reasons to avoid having to tackle it head on, and you being a renter will just give them an additional excuse to avoid doing anything.

And yet you see it in the photo of the OP.

If you want to see another project with such recessed entrances, visit the Regent on the Park at the end of Soi Sukhumvit 61.

Edited by trogers

In the photo I see a recess and a door. I dont see any indication of what is common property and what belongs to the unit. In order to see what belongs to the unit one just needs to look at the chanote.

If the recess belongs to the unit then they can store their shoes in it. If the recess is common area then they cant. It really is that simple.

The OP asked about the legal aspects. To my knowledge it is ILLEGAL in Thailand to keep shoes in a common corridor.

Look at the photo. The shoes are not placed in or along a corridor.

Then the owner would be required to remove half the shoes but the rest could stay. Thats how it works here.