No pain ... yes gain (fat loss that is)

Jingthing

There was an intriguing exercise "trick" presented on a BBC Scotland t.v show called The Truth About Fat.

It appeared to be asserted as proven fact.

Here it is summed up:

Anyone of any fitness level can trick their body into burning fat for much much longer throughout the day by exercising for only about TWENTY minutes as follows.

Push your body past your current fitness comfort level for TWO MINUTES. So "hard" is relative. For the not very fit, "hard" would be super easy for the super fit.

Then stop cold turkey and rest for ONE MINUTE.

Do that for 20 minutes, so I guess that's really 21 minutes, seven cycles of the three minute thingie.

The show asserted this will DEFINITELY make your body burn fat for much much longer than a normal workout. Though how dramatic the increase in fat burn of course dependent on complex factors, but they were confident it would be significant.

Now, here's the rub.

They didn't explain whether you're supposed to do this every day or not.

They also didn't explain whether this can work as your only formal exercise routine.

Also what kind of exercise exactly for the two minute pushes?

Not clear from the show except they mentioned using steep hills.

Anyway, I'd thought I'd share it.

Does anyone have any further info on this idea?

The host of the show, yes an overweight doctor!

post-37101-0-38699200-1428310719_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it is about what Rob tells you since 2 years......

Lift heavy weights....than make a short brake, than lift heavy weights.....and even after the muscle stop they burn more......

Lift heavy weights....than make a short brake, than lift heavy weights.....and even after the muscle stop they burn more......

I hadn't noticed. The cool thing is the promise of results all day from such a short time

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is similar to the HITT theory.. of doing sprints (like your chased by a bunch of ladyboys insert an other group for more motivation) for 30 seconds or if you can 1 minute then walk for 2 minutes. Rinse and repeat. 5 times.

Basically its the debate HITT vs steady state cardio.

You can even try this on your rower (i know I have) Row like crazy for a minute.. 2 minutes slow.. do 5 times.. ad a warmup and a cool down.. and you got a HITT session.

I agree.. however they did not research the effects on your health if you were to eat fast food after every training session.

I don't do anything special after a workout.. maybe a protein shake but even that rarely. Usually some fruits.

I hadn't noticed. The cool thing is the promise of results all day from such a short time

I recall that it is mentioned 100 times that the big profit is that the muscle use calories (and of course more fat based) for all the day (can't recall how many hours.....), additional it builds more muscles so you have more muscle that uses more calories per kg of muscle. So double effect.

And that lift heavy and than brake, lift heavy again for a MAX of 45-60 min (less time is of course OK) fits approx. that envelope.

But you only got insulting when he tried to explain that....

https://experiencelife.com/article/steady-state-cardio-vs-high-intensity-interval-training/

I am not fully sold on either and they are still debating how much afterburn there is. But if it was so much I would have noticed it.

Personally I like them both .. and would not do HITT too much as it is mentally hard.. and if you do it too often... bad for you too.

Eat less, exercise more.

Jingthing is searching for magic pills, gut bacteria or other solutions that allow him to eat more, exercise less and still don't get fat.

If you even dare to tell that it is the fat peoples one fault, he'll call it "fat shaming"

This is similar to the HITT theory.. of doing sprints (like your chased by a bunch of ladyboys insert an other group for more motivation) for 30 seconds or if you can 1 minute then walk for 2 minutes. Rinse and repeat. 5 times.

You can even try this on your rower (i know I have) Row like crazy for a minute.. 2 minutes slow.. do 5 times.. ad a warmup and a cool down.. and you got a HITT session.

Or if you try to chase some ladyboys.....

I think the debate is a bit off the real world....if you do 2 hours low intensity cardio, or 1 hour full power cardio or 40 min HIT...It is just the same effort just compressed in time.

If you do the HIT or heavy weight lifting......there are advantages on both, and on both the muscles will use energy afterwards to repair. The difference is at the end marginal.

If you do the 90% efficient thing or the 80% efficient thing won't matter as long as you do something. For most it is not HIT or weight lifting. It is chips or icecreame in front of the TV.

My recommendation: buying a dog that want to be walked......at least there is a chance that is really done every day, instead of HIT two times and than never again.

Loosing fat is a very slow process and people just stop if they can't get their target in 2 weeks.

I think the debate is a bit off the real world....if you do 2 hours low intensity cardio, or 1 hour full power cardio or 40 min HIT...It is just the same effort just compressed in time.

If you do the HIT or heavy weight lifting......there are advantages on both, and on both the muscles will use energy afterwards to repair. The difference is at the end marginal.

If you do the 90% efficient thing or the 80% efficient thing won't matter as long as you do something. For most it is not HIT or weight lifting. It is chips or icecreame in front of the TV.

My recommendation: buying a dog that want to be walked......at least there is a chance that is really done every day, instead of HIT two times and than never again.

Loosing fat is a very slow process and people just stop if they can't get their target in 2 weeks.

That is my point.. HITT is more compressed time wise.. cardio easier effort but in the end I don't see much difference. I have tried it and I still do sometimes. But I can tell you HITT if done good is real hard. I have not seen much difference between both. Sure time for tme HITT is better.. but its not only about time. Plus.. steady state cardio.. doing it everyday is ok.. but HITT everyday.. not so much.

Still there are huge debates about how much the afterburn is and such. In the end just find something you like or something that has to be done and go on with it. If you have to force yourself to do it.. it wont last.

That is my point.. HITT is more compressed time wise.. cardio easier effort but in the end I don't see much difference. I have tried it and I still do sometimes. But I can tell you HITT if done good is real hard. I have not seen much difference between both. Sure time for tme HITT is better.. but its not only about time. Plus.. steady state cardio.. doing it everyday is ok.. but HITT everyday.. not so much.

Still there are huge debates about how much the afterburn is and such. In the end just find something you like or something that has to be done and go on with it. If you have to force yourself to do it.. it wont last.

I don't think time wise it is much better if you calculate everything. If you do full HIT you need 30-60 min or more to recover enough to do something useful.

After an moderate (not a killer and not lazy stepping stairs while talking) cardio you are useful after a few minutes (shower). So at the end the time benefit of the HIT isn't as much as it seems.

I like, if I would only have the time, the long, 3-4 hour things.......I recently talked to an Ultra guy....if you jogging 100+ km or 300+ km frequently you really have no problems with getting overweight....but not an option for us working class slaves.....

Yeah I saw that but I don't crave junk food anyway. Please keep on the specific topic.

You're welcome.

If I try this new plan to replace my every other day current rowing would you suggest daily or every other day? Thanks to those who keep this positive as opposed to hurling tediously obnoxious personal attacks.

If I try this new plan to replace my every other day current rowing would you suggest daily or every other day? Thanks to those who keep this positive as opposed to hurling tediously obnoxious personal attacks.

If you replace it, there will be no feel-able effect, but you risk to stop something that is tested as working.....You should do it additionally than there will be an effect. Or if lazy, just eat less.

JT,

If you really go for it doing true.. that means your 30 seconds or 1 minute of full speed is really full speed (meaning all you can do) and then 1 minute or 2 minutes rowing slower and doing that say 5 times (you can do more or less depending on the state of your body(

I would not advise to do it every day, because it might burn you out. Also it might be mentally hard, the times I have done this and I really give it all on the fast bout means I will be breathing heavy like crazy and feeling like i got no more energy after that bout.. then I get a lil back during the recovery slow phase.. but its so hard after the first time knowing you have to do it 4 more times ect.

So don't overdo it or you might stop with it real fast. I advise some sort of warming up for this. There are special HITT timers for this. You can get them on a computer too, or as a stand alone device. Basically you set the sprint time.. the slow time.. and the number of bouts. It will give beeps when you have to go.

http://www.intervaltimer.com/

Seems they are available as app too for your phone. So its not that hard.

I think Rob means HIIT, and yes what JT says in the OP sounds like a variation of it. However there's no such thing as No Pain, yes gain (or loss in this case).

Maybe they didn't mention it in that BBC show but they surely mean the cardio type of exercises.

Def don't do it every day, stick to a 3 times per week schedule or something like that, and I mean STICK to that schedule, don't start skipping. It's a lot harder to push yourself to start going to gym again after taking long breaks, vs continue going to gym on schedule. Even if you don't feel like doing it in one particular day (there will be days like that), still get up and go to gym. Even if you aren't going to do much that day (but I found if I drag my ass to gym, I ususlly find the energy and motivation for a workout), you'd still stay with your schedule and that's important.

I think Rob means HIIT, and yes what JT says in the OP sounds like a variation of it. However there's no such thing as No Pain, yes gain (or loss in this case).

Maybe they didn't mention it in that BBC show but they surely mean the cardio type of exercises.

Def don't do it every day, stick to a 3 times per week schedule or something like that, and I mean STICK to that schedule, don't start skipping. It's a lot harder to push yourself to start going to gym again after taking long breaks, vs continue going to gym on schedule. Even if you don't feel like doing it in one particular day (there will be days like that), still get up and go to gym. Even if you aren't going to do much that day (but I found if I drag my ass to gym, I ususlly find the energy and motivation for a workout), you'd still stay with your schedule and that's important.

Yes, I was mistaken I often mix up the letters you are correct. But lifting heavy weights like deadlifts actually almost do the same. Because its real high intensity for those reps and your totally out of breath. (only ever really see this on deadlifts). But HIIT and lifting weights both have the afterburn.

Anyway, I have done HIIT and its hard, it certainly is no easy way to loose weight.. but just a nice addition for change. The best machine for me is my concept 2 rower as you dont have to change any settings... just pull harder to get more resistance. That is why this is one of the best machines for HIIT. A treadmill takes longer to get to the speed and to slow down, a bike could be a bit better as changing the drag is easier.

I know JT has a rower, just don't know what kind.

The concept 2 if you hook it up to a computer with row pro software (around 99$) you can make your own HIIT sessions and watch yourself do it in animation. I had pre programmed HIIT sessions on my computer. Changing the amount of sprint time vs relax time and the number of bouts. It was all quite nice.

The one thing that i found possitive about HIIT was that it was not boring... it was a shorter session giving it all and then done.

I am now watching the same thing JT has (had downloaded it before without realizing). However I do think they overstate it a bit, I am a fan of it but its no silver bullet. It really can drain you and should not be done too much. But besides burning much fat (though the percentage of fat burned drops when intensity increases) it will really get you in shape. This kind of exercise type helps a lot for the VO2 max and you will gain stamina far faster as steady state cardio.

So its a great tool but as they said you really have to push yourself. Though I don't agree her not much pain.. if done good (and the other lady says you really have to push yourself not the presenter) you are really tired.. both mentally and physically.

No Pain no Gain is true. But if you only want to loose wait, you can lets say walk for hours....painfree but boring, you still burn plenty of energy (you can walk many hours) and at the same time eat without carbs.

So a pain free loose is possible. (if you don't count boring as pain)

Eat less, exercise more.

yes it really is that easy.eat smaller meals,less carbs,stop eating white rice,eat brown.execise 20-40 minutes a day.swimming is the best if you access to a pool.

eat more vegies,raw food,nuts are good like almonds.Cut down on the amount of meat and fish you eat.no more chocolate,lays,biscuits.do not eat fried foods,use extra virgin olive oil,salads are great in this hot weather.drink plenty of water,squeeze lime juice in the water,tastes great.Juice vegies everday about 500ml.

I know i sound like a broken record as i've posted this many times before but it works.I lost 17 kilo's in 17 months.

and i still drank 4 beers a day but lite beer,av. 80 calories per 300 ml. bottle where as normal beer(same size) would be 160 cals.per bottle.

Edited by samuibeachcomber

Eat less, exercise more.

yes it really is that easy.eat smaller meals,less carbs,stop eating white rice,eat brown.execise 20-40 minutes a day.swimming is the best if you access to a pool.

eat more vegies,raw food,nuts are good like almonds.Cut down on the amount of meat and fish you eat.no more chocolate,lays,biscuits.do not eat fried foods,use extra virgin olive oil,salads are great in this hot weather.drink plenty of water,squeeze lime juice in the water,tastes great.Juice vegies everday about 500ml.

I know i sound like a broken record as i've posted this many times before but it works.I lost 17 kilo's in 17 months.

and i still drank 4 beers a day but lite beer,av. 80 calories per 300 ml. bottle where as normal beer(same size) would be 160 cals.per bottle.

Actually, one "burns" very small amounts of calories by exercising.

So there is only one way to loose weight: eat less and avoid calorie rich food.

Or just accept that your body has a problem with calorie burning, shit happens, and there are worse things!

Eat less, exercise more.

Or just accept that your body has a problem with calorie burning, shit happens, and there are worse things!

I agree body only burns a little bit most should come from a better and healthy diet.

Yes there are worse things, personally I hated how I looked when I was fat and changed. But I got fat even though I exercised eating a lot and drinking too much and the wrong stuff was the reason.

But if you combine exercise with diet your results get better and its great for general health.

Eat less, exercise more.

Well you can do a 300 kcal per hour on the bicycle easily with a bit training (relative intensive but not too hard).

Lets say you do a bit longer and 350 kcal per day. That would amount of 1 kg of fat per 20 days.

With some training and more time you could even double it. That is not a small amount. But of course it works only additionally to eating less......