White US officer charged with murder for shooting black man

webfact

The video says all.

To shot a unarmed person on the back, 8 times, and without any valid reason, is plain premeditated assassination. If this police officer do not spend the rest of his life in jail, the US justice system is failed.

Let us all hope that the armed militias known as peace officers in the US will start to think about whether they are being filmed. This ought to improve their behaviour more often than not.

What it does not mention in the O.P headline is that the officer's partner as seen on the video was also black. The evidence looks pretty damning, but the O.P headline is disgusting as it presupposes race to be a motive and ensures it will be seen that way by any jury and the general public. Had the roles been reversed I wonder whether the words black and white would have also made the O.P?

The fact is that loads of blacks are being killed by the police, give us some examples when the roles are reversed.

• Like 1

People seen what they want to see eh?

Definately in your case

Slager clearly moves a fair distance away from Scott's body, picks something up, returns to Scott and drops that object onto the ground next to him.

If it wasn't the taser, perhaps you can tell us what you think it was and why Slager felt it necessary to go and pick it up and drop it next to Scott's body?

Even if Scott was still in possession of the taser, he was clearly running away and absolutely no threat to Slager or anyone else; so why was it necessary for Slager to shoot him at all?

• Like 1

What it does not mention in the O.P headline is that the officer's partner as seen on the video was also black. The evidence looks pretty damning, but the O.P headline is disgusting as it presupposes race to be a motive and ensures it will be seen that way by any jury and the general public. Had the roles been reversed I wonder whether the words black and white would have also made the O.P?

The fact is that loads of blacks are being killed by the police, give us some examples when the roles are reversed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

• Like 2

That article does not give the race of the officers nor that of their killers.

Of course, any law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty should be remembered for their sacrifice.

As a comparison, your source says that in 2014 127 law enforcement officers in the USA were killed in the line of duty.

In that same year, 593 civilians were killed by police officers in the USA. (Source)

Again, it does not give the race of those involved.

Haven't watched the video but the question immediately came to mind when I read the OP.

Why was he running away ?

If he had nothing to hide then why was he not standing quietly, or even still sitting in the car ?

Haven't watched the video but the question immediately came to mind when I read the OP.

If he had nothing to hide then why was he not standing quietly, or even still sitting in the car ?

Driving while black, in many parts of the US, is all a cop needs for a stop and frisk.

Fear and anger make it difficult to stand quietly in that kind of situation.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/january_february_2014/ten_miles_square/driving_while_black048283.php?page=all

Edited by rijb

Doesn't matter, he was running away. I think he had outstanding child support payments or something.

But please, watch the vdo before commenting.

I was watching this on the news. The news commentator said that he had an outstanding warrant for non-payment of child support. They went on to say that the 4 children have now lost their father.

Sad that he died, but I have never dared move when I've been stopped by the police. I do exactly what I am told to do.

I think that a lot of people are getting pretty tired of trigger happy police.

• Like 1

Last year in South Carolina a 68-year-old black great-grandfather was shot to death in his car in his driveway by a police officer who followed him home 9 miles outside of the officer's legal jurisdiction. The police officer called the drive-along a "chase."

The reason was that the black guy failed to pull over when the cop wanted to stop him for what turned out to be no cause. The guy, Ernest Satterwhite, was described afterward by people who knew him as tired of being pulled over by police for no reason then allowed to proceed, and as a "laid back" person who was unarmed and had no record of any violence.

The county prosecutor charged the 25 year old Police Officer Justin Craven with voluntary manslaughter, a felony punishable for up to 30 years, but lost his grand jury when the grand jurors instead charged the cop with a misdemeanor. The prosecutor has since organized a new grand jury to hear the charges, which he can do, because the SC state investigators said the cop had broken several laws, laws that match with a serious indictment in each instance.

Officer Craven alleged the mortally wounded Satterwhite reached for the officer's weapon but the state police investigating authorities have declined to release the dashcam footage recorded from the officers' cars.

According to the Associated Press

The few details released raised concerns among law enforcement experts. In the likely 10 to 15 minutes he trailed Satterwhite, Craven should have had time to learn he was headed home and had no violent incidents on his criminal record, said University of South Carolina criminology professor Geoffrey Alpert.

County deputies who joined in the chase reported that Craven ran up to Satterwhite's parked car and fired several shots into the driver's side door, telling the other officers that Satterwhite tried to grab his gun. The other officers couldn't get Satterwhite's door open, so they broke the passenger side window, unlocked that door and dragged him out.

"Why would he run up to the car like that?" asked Alpert. "Why would he put himself in a situation to use deadly force? Why would he put his gun close enough for him to grab it?"

The family says the officers yanked the mortally wounded man out of the car, restrained him and left him on the ground unattended until paramedics arrived.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2014/09/30/sc-officer-indicted-mysterious-shooting/16467563/

Residents of North Charlotte knew of the Satterwhite case and Officer Craven's suit against the state, county and municipal authorities investigating and charging him. It could well be the case for the late Walter Scott that he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't. After all, Scott had been stopped for a rear brake light that was not functioning.

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

Your link has nothing to do with reversing the roles. This would be black cops shooting white people.

I see the left wing bigots are out in force here. I wonder how long it will take George Soros to get his troops to SC? Based on the video evidence the main thing clear is a possible offender running away from a police officer, then being shot. If you can come up with anything else, seeing the video, it will be opinion and speculation. Seems remarkable how many here want police officers to fail.

• Like 1

Last year in South Carolina a 68-year-old black great-grandfather was shot to death in his car in his driveway by a police officer who followed him home 9 miles outside of the officer's legal jurisdiction. The police officer called the drive-along a "chase."

The reason was that the black guy failed to pull over when the cop wanted to stop him for what turned out to be no cause. The guy, Ernest Satterwhite, was described afterward by people who knew him as tired of being pulled over by police for no reason then allowed to proceed, and as a "laid back" person who was unarmed and had no record of any violence.

The county prosecutor charged the 25 year old Police Officer Justin Craven with voluntary manslaughter, a felony punishable for up to 30 years, but lost his grand jury when the grand jurors instead charged the cop with a misdemeanor. The prosecutor has since organized a new grand jury to hear the charges, which he can do, because the SC state investigators said the cop had broken several laws, laws that match with a serious indictment in each instance.

Officer Craven alleged the mortally wounded Satterwhite reached for the officer's weapon but the state police investigating authorities have declined to release the dashcam footage recorded from the officers' cars.

According to the Associated Press

The few details released raised concerns among law enforcement experts. In the likely 10 to 15 minutes he trailed Satterwhite, Craven should have had time to learn he was headed home and had no violent incidents on his criminal record, said University of South Carolina criminology professor Geoffrey Alpert.

County deputies who joined in the chase reported that Craven ran up to Satterwhite's parked car and fired several shots into the driver's side door, telling the other officers that Satterwhite tried to grab his gun. The other officers couldn't get Satterwhite's door open, so they broke the passenger side window, unlocked that door and dragged him out.

"Why would he run up to the car like that?" asked Alpert. "Why would he put himself in a situation to use deadly force? Why would he put his gun close enough for him to grab it?"

The family says the officers yanked the mortally wounded man out of the car, restrained him and left him on the ground unattended until paramedics arrived.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2014/09/30/sc-officer-indicted-mysterious-shooting/16467563/

Residents of North Charlotte knew of the Satterwhite case and Officer Craven's suit against the state, county and municipal authorities investigating and charging him. It could well be the case for the late Walter Scott that he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't. After all, Scott had been stopped for a rear brake light that was not functioning.

You forgot to mention that Craven has been charged with a felony and will probably spend 10 years in prison. I don't think that's the end of the charges because he broke several laws. It's noteworthy that charges are brought by ordinary citizens of the community in what's called a grand jury. Multiple grand juries may convene over multiple charges in the future.

It's not like Carven's case is a done deal. LINK

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I see the left wing bigots are out in force here. I wonder how long it will take George Soros to get his troops to SC? Based on the video evidence the main thing clear is a possible offender running away from a police officer, then being shot. If you can come up with anything else, seeing the video, it will be opinion and speculation. Seems remarkable how many here want police officers to fail.

Yes. Fail at murdering people.

For a little perspective on police violence in the US, here is a shocking statistic...

In March 2015, police in the US killed more civilians than the UK police killed in 100 years... US police killed 111 people in the month of March, averaging a death-by-police every 6.5 hours... And people as me if Thailand is dangerous...

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/american-cops-killed-people-month-march-uk-entire-20th-century/

A new report by ThinkProgress.com unearthed disturbing figures when it came to the number of police-related deaths that occurred in America in the month of March alone.

Just last month, in the 31 days of March, police in the United States killed more people than the UK did in the entire 20th century. In fact, it was twice as many; police in the UK only killed 52 people during that 100 year period.

According to the report by ThinkProgess, in March alone, 111 people died during police encounters — 36 more than the previous month. As in the past, numerous incidents were spurred by violent threats from suspects, and two officers were shot in Ferguson during a peaceful protest. However, the deaths follow a national pattern: suspects were mostly people of color, mentally ill, or both.

This high number in March increased the average for police killings from every 8.5 hours, to nearly 1 police killing every 6.5 hours in the US.

These numbers are staggering and show a serious problem of the violent tendencies within the US policing apparatus.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/04/01/3641143/use-of-force-incidents-march/

In March alone, 111 people died during police encounters — 36 more than the previous month. As in the past, numerous incidents were spurred by violent threats from suspects, and two officers were shot in Ferguson during a peaceful protest. However, the deaths follow a national pattern: suspects were mostly people of color, mentally ill, or both.

Another sad, shocking incident.

What often comes to my mind when I read about such incidents is that I wonder how many cops throughout the world have committed such atrocities and gotten away with them, due to no videos, etc being available !

Mind you, some cops have gotten away with them, even with the presence of videos, etc.; after police-friendly courts found them not guilty; or when they weren't even taken to court.

Sad world.

He wasn't a "possible" offender. He had a broken tail light and was behind on his child support. Obviously a violent thug worthy of eight shots in the back.

Sigh.

Your own words, the offender was running away. Which meant the police officer's life was not in danger and deadly force was not necessary. Certainly not eight shots in the back.

So tell me, since this police officer has been fired, arrested, and charged with murder, does that mean the SC police department and mayor are a bunch of "left wing bigots?"

Eight shots in the back? Is this from the autopsy or are you shooting (your keyboard off) for effect.

Left wing/right wing, black/white, geniuses/blithering idiots - there's one thing for sure. That they remember Ferguson and don't want a replay of the looting, burning and general mayhem in their community.

Thankfully, the video made the decision to arrest and charge the officer a "no-brainer". There are, no doubt, various elements, for various motives, that would desire to see this deteriorate in to another Ferguson debacle.

Edited by MaxYakov

Your own words, the offender was running away. Which meant the police officer's life was not in danger and deadly force was not necessary. Certainly not eight shots in the back.

So tell me, since this police officer has been fired, arrested, and charged with murder, does that mean the SC police department and mayor are a bunch of "left wing bigots?"

Eight shots in the back? Is this from the autopsy or are you shooting (your keyboard off) for effect.

Left wing/right wing, black/white, geniuses/blithering idiots - there's one thing for sure. That they remember Ferguson and don't want a replay of the looting, burning and general mayhem in their community.

Thankfully, the video made the decision to arrest and charge the officer a "no-brainer". There are, no doubt, various elements, for various motives, that would desire to see this deteriorate in to another Ferguson debacle.

He fired eight shots from reasonably short distance. I'd be surprised if all or at least most didn't hit.

Spare your righteous indignation for the Orpah watchers.

Oh dear, is that your best response to your own flawed logic?