Buying a big bike as a farang

When buying a 250+cc bike in Thailand as a farang, is it possible to put the bike solely in your name even on a 7 month tourist visa?

If not, in which case would you need to sign up residency at a house somewhere before you could put the bike in your name?

I literally want no other names anywhere near this bike, especially not GFS lol.

I see. What if for that document I provided say a Gfs named and signed resident address. If she signed for it to her address, would it be possible to put in my name then? If possible, would this grant her any ownership or power over it?

Thanks again

The only way you can purchase it in your name is if you can prove residence address. As others said, it may be difficult to get one with a tourist visa. If you had a retirement visa or work permit then it would be possible. Otherwise, if you put it in her name then she is the legal owner. Do you have any foreign friends you trust? If you don't trust the girlfriend then maybe you have a friend you can trust more than her and put it in his/her name instead. You don't really have a lot of options as a tourist to legally buy a motorcycle here.

Hmm I see. Thanks. Yeah I have a farang friend I lived with for a while whom I trust. We discussed earlier trying to get a residency for me at his home and were hoping it would be possible. If it is, should be fine. If not, then I don't know. He's on a marriage or research visa himself. Think it's marriage now. So could likely put in his name I guess. That would be more trust worthy for me personally.

yes, as long as the sertificate is your name

The resident certificate you mean...? It won't be, as like you said it's unlikely they'll issue me one on tourist visa.

My understanding here as mentioned above is that the resident visa can be signed by anyone. To that address. It has to have a resident certificate yes. BUT, that can be signed to anyone's with their confirmation. Doesn't need to be in my name (as it's not possible right now) and I will still have 100% ownership of the bike.

no, you need the sertificate if you want the bike in your name.

Someone above said differently, unsure now. But if I need an address residency in my name that won't be for a little while yet. Is it for definite I can't use someone else's permit residency and it be signed fully to my name? Two people now suggested this is the case but I wanted to be sure. Always conflicting ideas with Thai law unfortunately

You need the ResCert.

Doesn't matter who, what, how.

Use it to buy bike with green-book 100% your name.

Green-book in your name means you are the legal owner.

What province you live.

You live in GF's house?

Apartment?

What?

Tell me this and I'll advise what to do for ResCert.

• Like 1

no, you need the sertificate if you want the bike in your name.

Someone above said differently, unsure now. But if I need an address residency in my name that won't be for a little while yet. Is it for definite I can't use someone else's permit residency and it be signed fully to my name? Two people now suggested this is the case but I wanted to be sure. Always conflicting ideas with Thai law unfortunately

Please continue using these terms if you seek to confuse yourself & others.

• Like 1

Tourist Visa not an issue. Just get a certificate of residence (that's what it's called) from immigration. I never had an issue getting one and never heard first hand reports of anyone being refused one from anyone I know. I bought 3 bikes on my name this way, two of which are big bikes.

To get that certificate you need to show immigration your rental contract and before that (this is new) you need to register with immigration (your landlord should have done that but nearly none do).

Do it this way and forget all complicated "put xyz on someones name". It's easy and the proper way and you will be the full owner and no bullcrap.

Oh and you need a proper driver license.

• Like 2

Tourist Visa not an issue. Just get a certificate of residence (that's what it's called) from immigration. I never had an issue getting one and never heard first hand reports of anyone being refused one from anyone I know. I bought 3 bikes on my name this way, two of which are big bikes.

To get that certificate you need to show immigration your rental contract and before that (this is new) you need to register with immigration (your landlord should have done that but nearly none do).

Do it this way and forget all complicated "put xyz on someones name". It's easy and the proper way and you will be the full owner and no bullcrap.

I have a full UK drivers licence even with an IDP. Does that suffice? Do they look for bike licences or even know the difference between car and bike licences?

I am wondering if you can get yourself added to someone's house registration paper with a tourist visa, but maybe not with again with just a tourist visa. I have my own house registration book, which is yellow for foreigners instead of blue for Thais. I got it because I own a condo. But if someone else owns a condo maybe they can add you as a resident to their book. That takes some time though to get done. You will need a certified translation of your passport for that done by the Thai government as well. I forget all the stuff I had to do in terms of documents because I did it a couple of years ago already, but it did take some time to get everything in order. But if you can get yourself onto someone's blue or yellow book as a resident at their address then you can use that as proof of residence address as well.

• Like 1

I am wondering if you can get yourself added to someone's house registration paper with a tourist visa, but maybe not with again with just a tourist visa. I have my own house registration book, which is yellow for foreigners instead of blue for Thais. I got it because I own a condo. But if someone else owns a condo maybe they can add you as a resident to their book. That takes some time though to get done. You will need a certified translation of your passport for that done by the Thai government as well. I forget all the stuff I had to do in terms of documents because I did it a couple of years ago already, but it did take some time to get everything in order. But if you can get yourself onto someone's blue or yellow book as a resident at their address then you can use that as proof of residence address as well.

Sweet. Thanks all for feedback. I have a friend who owns a house , I did in fact live there a while previously. So I'll just try that I guess!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have a full UK drivers licence even with an IDP. Does that suffice? Do they look for bike licences or even know the difference between car and bike licences?

UK license is not worth anything here. IDP I am not sure, maybe. They do check if something is a bike license is not only car in some cases.

You can do that but it's easier and faster to just show them the rental contract (assuming you are renting something).

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

UK license is not worth anything here. IDP I am not sure, maybe. They do check if something is a bike license is not only car in some cases.

You can do that but it's easier and faster to just show them the rental contract (assuming you are renting something).

I see. And currently no I'm living at GFS house. That's why !

Either get added to the house book or make a rental contract with her (consider tax liability though).

Either get added to the house book or make a rental contract with her (consider tax liability though).

It's a second hand bike. And at the end of the contract it still in her name unless she agrees to put it in mine. And I don't even wanna take that risk with this one lol.

Geez buddy, you really are getting confused...

Just find a standard rental agreement. Get in filled out as if you are renting from your GF, have her sign it as landlord. Take the rental contract to immigration and ask for a residency certificate. Take the residency certificate with you to do the transfer of the bike green book into your name..

Right ok lol. That clears it for me a bit more cheers. And this is completely in my name and no one can take it right?

Or for the time being could I simply do the middle contract , where it's the paper that prepares to transfer to someone's name (don't know name of paper). Apparently this is safe also , as can simply transfer to my name when ready. Anyone know if this is really a safe option also?