Debit cards in Thailand

I don't have any Thai debit cards, but there have definitely been many posts and threads about how some bank cards over there are not usable online. Some of the card accounts could be modified as I recall if you contact the bank, but some were plain and simple not allowed to be used online. I defer to the posts that have listed several that are usable online.

Echoing what others have reported above, I've been able to use my BKK Bank Be1st debit card for online purchases, including purchasing AirAsia tickets.

And BKK Bank is kind of good about their debit cards, in that:

1. you have the option to either enable or disable the use of the card for POS (purchase) transactions. If you disable POS, the card can only be used for PIN-based ATM transactions (no swipe and signs).

2. If you enable POS, you also have the ability limit the maximum daily POS use of the card, and have varying amounts you can choose. So, if you do that, even if the card was stolen, no one should be able to "empty" your account.

You also have the option to keep POS disabled most of the time for security/safety purchases, but then call in and use the bank's telephone banking system menu to turn POS on for your purchase, and then turn it off again after the purchase is completed.

For whatever reason, setting the POS settings can't be done in their online banking, only thru their automated phone system or calling in, and perhaps at the ATM (not sure about the latter).

I keep the POS on the card turned OFF normally as a security measure. But it's nice to be able to turn it on and use it, when I occasionally need to.

With a debit card, if a bad guy accesses your card, your entire bank balance can be emptied and sucked dry before you realize the problem. And then you are left to attempt to rectify the issue with no immediate recourse on getting your money back.

In contrast, as you mention above, several other Thai banks I'm familiar with have NO such account holder available settings for their debit cards. They don't allow you to disable POS transactions, and likewise, they won't allow you to change/adjust your daily POS limit. The card's POS limit is whatever amount is set by the bank, POS is always enabled, and you can't change it at all. Those are BAD kinds of policies, IMHO.

An advantage of using a credit card vs a debit card is that a credit card does offer an additional level of protection and security. If someone accesses your credit card, you can dispute that charge and you will not pay. What then usually happens is that the charge is removed and your credit card is immediately replaced.

Credit cards also allow one to put a charge on hold when disputing a purchase.

You didn't distinguish above about the differences between Thai vs US issued credit cards. The consumer protections you mention above certainly apply for U.S. issued cards. It's less clear that those same kinds of protections apply for Thai issued credit cards.

From what I've been able to read, the Thai cards may have protections for purchases/charges where something you bought isn't delivered at all or is delivered and defective.

But I don't believe Thai credit cards generally have protections where someone steals and uses your card. In the latter case, the Thai banks generally have policies that say the cardholder is responsible for any transactions prior to reporting the card lost or stolen to the bank.

While I have had few problems over the years with my US based credit cards, the few times I did involved unauthorized charges as opposed to someone actually stealing my card. In those cases, by following the card company process I am limited to only $50 U.S. maximum, no matter what the size of the unapproved charge and many card companies waive that. The last time this happened the card company notified me before I even saw the charge.

When I weigh these advantages compared to the risks of using a debit card, there is no question which way I turn.

Your point concerning different rules involving Thailand based credit cards is a wise one and worth exploring for those considering or using that card solution.

BKK bank has 2 different cards. One you can use like a credit card and one you cannot. Go back to the bank and tell them you have the wrong card. Same thing happened to me. Went back got the right card and you can use it anywhere. I don't know the correct nomenclature but you want the white card

I'm with BKK as well

I have been in a similar situation , just go to your bank and ask them to activate your debit card to be able to do what you want . its just what parameters you ask for.

BKK bank has 2 different cards. One you can use like a credit card and one you cannot. Go back to the bank and tell them you have the wrong card. Same thing happened to me. Went back got the right card and you can use it anywhere. I don't know the correct nomenclature but you want the white card

My BKK Bank "Be1st - Smart" (it's blue/green) card works online and carries the "Visa" logo so it should work in shops (not tested it).

It does only work in BKK Bank ATMs mind, but since I do 99% of my banking online and my local salary goes into SCB that's not an issue for me.

Yes it does work in shops , I have the same

I have BKK Bank Be1st Smart debit card and also a Kasikorn bank debit card and both work online.

If you get a Kasikorn debit card you can activate it to work online at a Kasikorn bank ATM. BKK bank debit cards are activated online through their online banking. I would also get your name on the card so if you book a flight you can show the card at check in if required. When you open the account you will have to ask them that you want the card

with your name on it. It will take about a week and cost me 300 Baht per card.

I also found the same as the OP did. I have a Debit card but no one will accept it. Very strange when you consider mine is from what is probably the biggest Thai bank.

I would like an explanation as to why this is so.

Further, have you tried to take out money from the ATM of another bank with it? You used to be able to albeit you paid Baht 180 for the privilege. I tried recently to get money from Siam Commercial Bank; card was rejected. Went to an ATM of my own bank and no problem.

Have the banks stopped co-operating with each other? It certainly appears that they have

With my Kasikorn I have the following abilities.

1. Debit / ATM card that I can use at any ATM and also use as a Debit Card in shops, supermarkets etc.

2. A virtual Credit card that I use for on-line purchases.

What more do you need?

I also found the same as the OP did. I have a Debit card but no one will accept it. Very strange when you consider mine is from what is probably the biggest Thai bank.

Further, have you tried to take out money from the ATM of another bank with it? You used to be able to albeit you paid Baht 180 for the privilege. I tried recently to get money from Siam Commercial Bank; card was rejected. Went to an ATM of my own bank and no problem.

Have the banks stopped co-operating with each other? It certainly appears that they have

Please go back and read my initial response for details. In a nutshell, you dont have a card that can do what you want. You need to get a different type card.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Please go back and read my initial response for details. In a nutshell, you dont have a card that can do what you want. You need to get a different type card.

My point is that it used to

I going to guess you have a Bangkok Bank Be1st "Smart" Debit card...the one with the "chip." Their Be1st Smart card also has a magnetic stripe on it but the card is encoded to only allow cash withdrawals using the chipped portion of the card. To use their chipped card to withdraw cash you must use an ATM which has been EMV-enabled (i.e., ability to read chipped cards). Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank to have completely upgraded all their ATMs to EMV capability....all other Thai banks haven't started or are in the early phases. I think Bank of Thailand wants all Thai banks to be upgraded by late 2017. Therefore, until all Thai bank upgrade their ATMs with EMV capability you must use your Be1st Smart Debit card in Bangkok Bank ATMs to get cash when using it inside Thailand...when outside of Thailand the ATM needs to be EMV capable.

If you want to be able to get money from "any" Thai bank ATM you can get Bangkok Bank regular Be1st card without chip. Or if you desire you can get both a chipped and non-chipped card but you'll be paying two annual fees for the two cards. While security is supposedly better with a chipped card, if you want to be able to withdraw cash from any Thai bank ATM you'll need to have a non-chipped card (i.e., magnetic stripe card only).

Not quite sure what you mean by the Bt180 fee. That's the fee for use of a "foreign country" card in a Thai bank ATM, but you are talking like it's a card issued by a Thai bank.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My point is that it used to

Then this is easy, go back to the bank and get your situation fixed....

Kasikorn Banking for online payment of purchases like Air Tickets.

It can be frustrating (and expensive) and time consuming to pay for air tickets at a 7/11.

Air Asia accept payment on-line from SCB but Kasikorn is not listed.

However, you can select the option to pay with a Kasikorn VISA Card.

(The charge was almost 200b, March 2015)

Method 1 Online payment without a Bank Card

You must have online banking enabled then you can create a “Virtual Card” for internet shopping.

1. Log into your online account and at the Main Menu:
  2. Open “Account Management”
  3. Now Select “Account Summary”,
    Under the accounts detail list you will see two grey boxes,
    One will say "apply K-Web Shopping Card"
    the other "Suspend K-Web Shopping Card "
  4. Click on the “Apply” Button.
  5. Now complete the on screen form and submit it.
  6. Your application will be processed and an email will tell you when it is ready.

In my case, Kasicorn completed the request in about 24 hours.

After your application is successful, you will receive an email like this:-

Dear Mr. JOE BLOGGS
Subject: Your K-Web Shopping Card is now ready
Your K-Web Shopping Card is now ready:

Transaction Date: 28/03/2015 04:11:09 PM. Reference Number: KBKR12345678901234

You can view the card details by
1. Login to K-Cyber Banking
2. Choose the menu "K-Web Shopping Card" on the left
3. Choose the menu "View Card Details"
4. Select the K-Web Shopping Card
5. The system will show K-Web Shopping Card number,

Account Name,

CVV number,

The account number that will be debited,

Expiry date,

Credit Limit (THB), Total Credit Used (THB) and Available balance (THB)

Now you can use the card to enjoy your online shopping.

(I noted that the validity period of this virtual card is two years.)

In my case I formatted a text box to credit card size and entered the details like a credit card.

I encapsulated it with a plastic cover, bingo - job done.

Method 2 Online payment with a Bank Card

You have a bank account with Kasikorn and an ATM/VISA card.

You can enable your card to make purchases on line by using the service provided on the ATM.

How to apply for the service at the ATM.

1. Enter your ATM Card and PIN
  2. Change the language to English
  3. Select menu option “Mutual Fund/Apply for service/K-Mobile Banking/Others”
  4. Select menu option “Internet Shopping by K-Debit Card”
  5. Select menu option “Apply”
  6. Enter your 10 digit mobile phone number to obtain an OTP VbV:
    (One Time Password Verified by VISA), and to receive K-mAleart Debit Card Spending.
    Then press “Submit”
  7. Read the Terms and Conditions of the service and press “Agree”
  8. Get a transaction record together with an SMS to confirm that the application is complete.

Now you can use the card to enjoy your online shopping.

• Like 1

I don't know about Thai banks' cards, but I have used an Australian debit card in Thailand for a long time. it works no problem with in-store purchases and I purchase all my AirAsia tickets online with it. However I have recently run into problems with Thai online stores. I get around this with another Aussie (Visa) card which is also a debit card, but behaves like a credit card.

Beware - if you are denominating purchases in Thai baht, no problem. If, however, you make the purchase in Australian dollars, you are subjected to a so-called "Dynamic Currency Conversion" fee of 5-7% , also known as "blatant highway robbery".

'Does anyone know of a Thai bank that offers a debit card that can be used for online purchases, and booking hotels and flights?' Both Bangkok bank and Kasikorn, certainly; and no doubt others. That said, if your card really is only good for ATM withdrawals, it's not a debit card but an ATM card.

I don't know about Thai banks' cards, but I have used an Australian debit card in Thailand for a long time. it works no problem with in-store purchases and I purchase all my AirAsia tickets online with it. However I have recently run into problems with Thai online stores. I get around this with another Aussie (Visa) card which is also a debit card, but behaves like a credit card.

Beware - if you are denominating purchases in Thai baht, no problem. If, however, you make the purchase in Australian dollars, you are subjected to a so-called "Dynamic Currency Conversion" fee of 5-7% , also known as "blatant highway robbery".

'... If, however, you make the purchase in Australian dollars, you are subjected to a so-called "Dynamic Currency Conversion" fee of 5-7% , also known as "blatant highway robbery".' That is almost certainly your Australian bank's doing, not the Thai end. But why anyone should want to regularly use a foreign card to buy Thai products and services I don't know, never mind want to purchase in AUD, thus probably incurring an inferior FX rate.

I was not aware of the Kasikorn option. Thanks for the info. But I needed a physical credit card for hotel check in, etc.

I have a Visa Debit Card with Bangkok Bank with embedded 'chip' I use it without problem for on-line purchases such as Amazon UK and 'gift' sites and for hotel bookings within Thailand.

If you want to be able to get money from "any" Thai bank ATM you can get Bangkok Bank regular Be1st card without chip.

Pib, I'm wondering about the availability of the non-chipped Be1st debit cards these days....

I'm pretty sure I recall some time back that the bank supposedly was out of them and was only offering chipped cards.

I'm just not sure whether that was a temporary situation. Or they made a decision at some point to only offer chipped cards moving forward.

I'm pretty sure the last time I opened a new account with BKK Bank, at least that day at that branch, I was told I only could get the chipped card and the older style one wasn't available.

If you want to be able to get money from "any" Thai bank ATM you can get Bangkok Bank regular Be1st card without chip.

Pib, I'm wondering about the availability of the non-chipped Be1st debit cards these days....

I'm pretty sure I recall some time back that the bank supposedly was out of them and was only offering chipped cards.

I'm just not sure whether that was a temporary situation. Or they made a decision at some point to only offer chipped cards moving forward.

I'm pretty sure the last time I opened a new account with BKK Bank, at least that day at that branch, I was told I only could get the chipped card and the older style one wasn't available.

The non-chipped card is still shown on the Bangkok Bank website...and it even says you can get both cards if desired. The chipped card cost Bt300/year and the non-chipped Bt200. I expect Bangkok Bank branches push the chipped card since it earns them 50% more money per annual fee, keeps the customer tied closer to Bangkok Bank ATMs which may earn some additional transaction fees, and it is the future. The last time I got some new Bangkok Bank debit cards was around 16 months ago and the wife and I got the non-chipped cards because that's what we (well, me) wanted because around once a month when I go to use a Bangkok Bank ATM it's out of money...but no problem, with my non-chipped card I just slide over to another Thai bank ATM and get my money. Yea, yea, a chipped card is more secure but it's not a revolution in security it's just an evolution/step forward in security....I'm opting to stay a step behind in favor of convenience/wider useability until more Thai bank ATMs are EMV-enabled. Plus, I keep the bulk of my funds in a Bangkok Bank account with no ATM and just transfer some money over to the other account with ATM via my ibanking to keep the ATM account topped-up to a modest amount.

• Like 1

Anyplace that has a habit of ringing up bills using DCC, I simply won't do business there. They've lost me as a customer if they insist on perpetrating that scam.

Ditto.

Fortunately only a couple of stores (both hardware type stores) are on my "don't do business with them unless I have no other choice" because they simply will not take my foreign card unless doing a DCC transaction....they happily take the card but will only accomplish a DCC transacton....and I have run the issue up their management flag pole with negative results...as far as I'm concerned they just want to gouge farangs for a little extra baht via the DCC lower exchange rate

There are also several stores that always "default" to DCC unless you tell them to "charge in Thai baht" when handing them your card (be sure to get eye contact when telling them)...then they do couple of button pushes to select Thai baht and the receipt for signature spits out as a Thai baht charge. And a couple times per year although I clearly tell the checkout clerk to "charge in Thai baht" his/her brain must be on autopilot, they fail to push the right buttons, and the receipt for signature comes out reflecting my home country currency (USD) and Thai baht which means it's a DCC transaction and USD is really being charged at a funky exchange rate. I tell them to cancel the transaction and rerun the transaction in Thai baht...the clerk cancels the transaction and reruns the transaction in baht...takes about two minutes to do both transactions. Now both charges/transactions initially hit my account but the cancelled one fails off after a few days.

• Like 1

That's one of the differences between DCC on ATMs vs merchant purchases.

With ATMs, AFAIK, you ALWAYS have the option to decline the initial DCC/home country currency offer, and the ATM (being a machine) will then proceed to give you your baht at the normal exchange rate. No arguing, no debating, no waiting for a manger, etc etc.

With shops/restaurants etc., if management has instructed the staff to ring up transactions in a certain way (in this case being DCC), it can be next to impossible sometimes to get them to do anything else. For the line level Thai staff, oftentimes, they're simply following instructions blindly, and/or don't even know the impact of what they're doing. Of course, in some cases, there also are others who know they're ripping off their farang customers, and don't mind one bit.

• Like 1

And don't be looking to Visa/Mastercard to outlaw the DCC process. Although both card networks advise against DCC use they don't bar its use simply because they know some local processing banks (ie., the banks that locally process the card transactions like Bangkok Bank, K-Bank, SCB...that bank letterhead you see on a receipt for signature) and some merchants want to use DCC whenever possible to increase profits....and of course the card networks make money with each transaction whether non-DCC or DCC. It's all about making more profit. If a merchant/bank focused more on customer satisfaction than profit they would not do DCC.

DCC bad, very bad for the customer; DCC good, very good for the merchant/bank.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1